Menu

The Vaccine Thread

JennyD

1 hour ago, JanOH said:

My dd turns 12 in September.  She told me today that she wants to get the vaccine on her birthday because it would be the best birthday gift she could get. 🙂

My cousin turned 12 on Sunday and went to get his shot for his birthday.  My dd10 has been asking me to lie and say she is 12 so that she can be vaccinated.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vonfirmath said:

I personally know more people sick with Covid right now than I ever did before.  Half of them were vaccinated.  None are very ill (Flu like. Not hospital-worried) for now.

Well, if about 3% are hospitalized then you should expect to know 97 healthy ones for every three hospitalized so this isn't exactly surprising. 

ETA  I don't really have any idea of the true percentage but that was what my state reported last winter when more people cared enough to test. Now they say 8% of cases are hospitalized but I doubt that is true. It is just that fewer of the mild cases are bothering to test so it looks like a higher percentage are having more severe cases.

Edited by frogger

On 7/30/2021 at 11:01 PM, vonfirmath said:

I personally know more people sick with Covid right now than I ever did before.  Half of them were vaccinated.  None are very ill (Flu like. Not hospital-worried) for now.

Same for me. But one was serious enough to require 2 trips to ER. And another is in ICU right now. She just turned 22. No underlying health conditions but overweight. So far I don't know of any one who has had a breakthrough case. I'm fairly certain none of these people had the vaccine.

Oh wait I lied--My dd's boss has it and is fully vaccinated with Pfizer, so dd is in quarantine-- again.

Edited by popmom

My brother just tested positive today. His whole family had it in December/ January, so 2nd round. From what I understand, he thought his natural immunity would keep him from getting it again this soon, so he didn't get the vax. 

We were supposed to hang with them at an outdoor pool this afternoon,, but we didn't, obviously.

• Sad 14

Have we talked about this yet? (I'm back from our big summer trip, so apparently my break from obsessing is over!) https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/22/covid-boosters-cdc-group-weighs-third-shot-for-immunocompromised-people.html

• Immunosuppressed people represent 44% of hospitalized Covid breakthrough cases even though they make up about 2.7% of the U.S. adult population, according to the agency.

This seems sort of huge to me (although I'm curious what percentage of hospitalized cases in the UNVACCINATED are immunosuppressed people); it indicates that we really need to get on it with boosters or other protocols for people who don't mount a strong immune response to the vaccine...and it also says that the hospitalization rate for vaccinated people who AREN'T immunosuppressed is even lower than straight up hospitalization numbers tell us (maybe that's all obvious. But I've wondered for awhile now to what extent breakthrough infections, particularly serious ones, are about people never having developed antibodies. I.e. they are in some sense not actually vaccinated. That is all my very not-an-immunologist take on it, anyway, which certainly may be deeply flawed.)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, RootAnn said:

My brother just tested positive today. His whole family had it in December/ January, so 2nd round. From what I understand, he thought his natural immunity would keep him from getting it again this soon, so he didn't get the vax. 

We were supposed to hang with them at an outdoor pool this afternoon,, but we didn't, obviously.

I believe immunity (from having Covid) is now showing to only last 6-8 months, with a sharp drop off occurring during or right after that time. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, RootAnn said:

I know two different families who had it twice less than 4 months apart.

• Like 2

On 7/29/2021 at 4:06 PM, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

A lot of people don’t watch the news or read newspapers or news articles online. They are not scientifically literate and don’t pay a lot of attention to nationwide statistics.  This is a large part of the population that I work with through the county health department. We are talking about a county where the median individual income is $28,000 a year and only 25% have a bachelor’s degree or higher according the US Census bureau.  They know their neighbors, coworkers and maybe church members.   There’s many people who are minorities or of ethnicities that generally do not trust the government and are suspicious of some white woman encouraging them to get vaccinated.

Getting people vaccinated is an uphill battle but we’re almost at 50 percent of eligible adults. 

And a lot of people, in other parts of the world, don’t have the luxury of working from home nor policing confusing mask mandates.

I advised my sister who had Covid in January to wait to get the vaccine. She doesn’t need it for travel (indeed i went through 4 countries and my vaccination card was looked at exactly zero times). She passed Covid once, and is prepared to pass it again. I now regret getting my vaccine as early as I did, especially with this booster talk.

Edited by madteaparty
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, madteaparty said:

I now regret getting my vaccine as early as I did, especially with this booster talk.

If it makes you feel better about that, and I hope it does, delta rates are so high right now that this is a very good time indeed to be fully vaccinated. It means that if you do catch it, chances are overwhelmingly high that you will be just fine. The same wouldn't be true if you hadn't gotten vaccinated yet and got sick during this wave.

• Like 3

Just now, KSera said:

If it makes you feel better about that, and I hope it does, delta rates are so high right now that this is a very good time indeed to be fully vaccinated. It means that if you do catch it, chances are overwhelmingly high that you will be just fine. The same wouldn't be true if you hadn't gotten vaccinated yet and got sick during this wave.

Chances were overwhelmingly high that I would have been fine before, before being vaccinated. Just going by everyone I’m related to that has passed it just fine (parents, sister, etc).What I’m reading is that Delta symptoms are very mild. I suppose I might get it because of all the airports and planes and places I’ve been on it will be horrid, but that’s fine 🤷‍♀️

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Happy2BaMom said:

I believe immunity (from having Covid) is now showing to only last 6-8 months, with a sharp drop off occurring during or right after that time. 

Another Covid cautious acquaintance & I talked about this late last fall & decided 3-6 months was probably the interval for most based on anecdotes we'd read. I had hoped the mRNA vaccines would last a year, but they are looking like 4-8 months right now (based on Delta). Sigh

11 minutes ago, RootAnn said:

Another Covid cautious acquaintance & I talked about this late last fall & decided 3-6 months was probably the interval for most based on anecdotes we'd read. I had hoped the mRNA vaccines would last a year, but they are looking like 4-8 months right now (based on Delta). Sigh

UGH.  I am coming up on 4 months after my 2nd shot.  This is fine, I can go get another shot.  I am fine with that.   If I have to do it 3 times a year so be it.  But I want to know now what to do now!  Booster?  Just go get another round of it?    

37 minutes ago, madteaparty said:

And a lot of people, in other parts of the world, don’t have the luxury of working from home nor policing confusing mask mandates.

I advised my sister who had Covid in January to wait to get the vaccine. She doesn’t need it for travel (indeed i went through 4 countries and my vaccination card was looked at exactly zero times). She passed Covid once, and is prepared to pass it again. I now regret getting my vaccine as early as I did, especially with this booster talk.

Lots of people in lots of parts of the world don't have the luxury of leading the privileged lives we do, it's true. It doesn't mean I want to join them. 

• Like 2

Just now, Not_a_Number said:

Lots of people in lots of parts of the world don't have the luxury of leading the privileged lives we do, it's true. It doesn't mean I want to join them. 

I was responding to the comment of “why don’t they get it! Sky continues to fall without ceasing!”.  This place is a bit bizarre as an echochamber. Someone should invite an anthropologist in. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

1 minute ago, madteaparty said:

I was responding to the comment of “why don’t they get it! Sky continues to fall without ceasing!”.  This place is a bit bizarre as an echochamber. Someone should invite an anthropologist in. 

Is the thing making us an echo chamber the fact that people are relatively sure they don't want to get COVID and that they think avoiding it is rational? 

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, madteaparty said:

I agree.  It’s just not as simple as “people should just get it” or “they just believe in conspiracy theories.”  One of my siblings is as far left as they come and she is in no way getting the vaccine because she doesn’t believe in getting vaccines and didn’t before Covid or conspiracy theories or Trump. And she’s well educated and used to work for public health.  Another sibling is far more to the right and won’t get vaccinated. She was on the edge until the data just came out, and isn’t worried about getting seriously sick or dying.  Why get a vaccine that has crappy side effects if you can still get sick and infect people. She won’t get it now, I’m sure.

And there are many, many people, many I personally know, who just don’t spent a lot of time thinking about Covid.  This board is not a good cross sectional representation of the population.  The vast majority of people I come into contact with IRL just do not spend much time thinking about Covid or vaccine efficiency or precautions at all.  There is a wide swath of people who literally, seriously, do not care if they catch Covid, they know the statistics of a mild illness are in their favor, and a lot who just wanted to get it over with.  With the data on reinfections and breakthrough illness, I suspect that everyone just assumes they’ll get it at some point, probably more than once, and why bother with the precautions now.

Edited by Mrs Tiggywinkle
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, madteaparty said:

I'm always particularly fascinated by the claims that this is an echo chamber. Maybe you're not reading the non-Covid threads on chat?! I have all kinds of big disagreements from people that I agree with on Covid 😬. On Covid, I'm all about not getting it, so I'm following the science and logic very closely, and that ends up meaning I'm largely aligned with virus scientists and other people who are taking the same approach.

• Like 9

Just now, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

I agree.  It’s just not as simple as “people should just get it” or “they just believe in conspiracy theories.”  One of my siblings is as far left as they come and she is in no way getting the vaccine because she doesn’t believe in getting vaccines and didn’t before Covid or conspiracy theories or Trump. And she’s well educated and used to work for public health.  Another sibling is far more to the right and won’t get vaccinated. She was on the edge until the data just came out, and isn’t worried about getting seriously sick or dying.  Why get a vaccine that has crappy side effects if you can still get sick and infect people. She won’t get it now, I’m sure.

And there are many, many people, many I personally know, who just don’t spent a lot of time thinking about Covid.  This board is not a good cross sectional representation of the population.  The vast majority of people I come into contact with IRL just do not spend much time thinking about Covid or vaccine efficiency or precautions at all.

Well, yes, we all have our cross-sections of the populations that we talk to. 

Pretty much everyone I talk to regularly cares about COVID; almost all of them are vaccinated. 

There are obviously class and education and political divides going on here. But it's not like this board doesn't consist of "real people" or isn't representative of plenty of people I happen to know in real life. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

Why get a vaccine that has crappy side effects if you can still get sick and infect people.

It's so interesting to me that not dying (or even "just" getting hospitalized) isn't a bigger motivator for some people. I'm all about not dying if I don't have to.

2 minutes ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

The vast majority of people I come into contact with IRL just do not spend much time thinking about Covid or vaccine efficiency or precautions at all.

That's a pretty clear issue when we look at how this country has handled Covid. Not surprising in the least.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, KSera said:

It's so interesting to me that not dying (or even "just" getting hospitalized) isn't a bigger motivator for some people. I'm all about not dying if I don't have to.

That's a pretty clear issue when we look at how this country has handled Covid. Not surprising in the least.

The vast majority of Covid cases don't end in death. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

Look, if I had a 1% chance of dying if I drove a car this whole year, I wouldn't get in the darn car!! 1% is NOT a small number, compared to basically every other risk. 

Right.  I mean, it's very clear that the vast majority of the population has never played much D&D.  Role players know that 2% of things, when they are things that happen pretty often, happens a lot of times.  

I don't know any role players who aren't freaked out about the 1-2% chance of death or the higher % of hospitalization.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, AbcdeDooDah said:

Then why is it hard to understand that people are not worried about it?

14 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

Look, if I had a 1% chance of dying if I drove a car this whole year, I wouldn't get in the darn car!! 1% is NOT a small number, compared to basically every other risk. 

Exactly what I was going to say. I don't expect to get in a car accident when I get in my car, but you can bet I put on my seatbelt and I get my kids the safest car seat I can and make sure they are in it securely each time we go somewhere. I know it's the most dangerous thing we do, and I make it as safe as I can, even though based on the fact that I have never had an accident so far, I could have made all those trips with none of us strapped, and we would still be just fine.

• Like 11

58 minutes ago, RootAnn said:

Wasn't it pretty recently that a study in Israel concluded that immunity from Pfizer was still strong at 6 months?

In two weeks, I will be 6 months post second dose of Pfizer. In 3.5 weeks, I will be back in the classroom. In a school that is planning to be mask-optional 😞

• Sad 3

15 minutes ago, Terabith said:

Right.  I mean, it's very clear that the vast majority of the population has never played much D&D.  Role players know that 2% of things, when they are things that happen pretty often, happens a lot of times.  

I don't know any role players who aren't freaked out about the 1-2% chance of death or the higher % of hospitalization.

Ooooh. I haven't even thought about the fact that actual experience with 2% stuff would be helpful! That's fascinating. I guess that gives you a really hands-on feeling about what something like 1% or 2% means. 

If there was a 1% chance of dying in a car crash every year, within a span of 30 years, you'd expect like a quarter of people to have died in a car crash. As you can see, that is NOT anywhere near what happens. 

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Terabith said:

Oooooh, maybe this is why my college kid D&D players have been highly concerned and cautious about this from the start!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Longtime Lurker said:

Wasn't it pretty recently that a study in Israel concluded that immunity from Pfizer was still strong at 6 months?

Maybe strong enough for Alpha. Strong enough for Delta?? I don't know. I've been waiting & waiting for Pfizer & Moderna to release their 6 & 9 month follow-up on the study group. Crickets from Moderna & I haven't seen the actual data from Pfizer--just that they want us to get a booster (same as shots #1&2). I'd like to see the data from the study co-hort.

I'd like to see my vaccine antibody numbers myself.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Not_a_Number said:

that is an interesting concept 

what are the chances of dying for your age group from Covid versus from a car crash? 

I saw something that had indicated that under a certain age (45? 55? 65?) the car accident death rate is higher! Maybe it was wrong. Or outdated now. 

1 hour ago, Pen said:

that is an interesting concept 

what are the chances of dying for your age group from Covid versus from a car crash? 

I saw something that had indicated that under a certain age (45? 55? 65?) the car accident death rate is higher! Maybe it was wrong. Or outdated now. 

This post prompted me to look to see if there have been any updated stats for CFR for people my age with my (very common) health condition, and it looks to be holding at about 6%. So forgive me if I’m more than a little grumpy at people downplaying the risk of this illness. 

eta: fortunately, I’m vaccinated. But, if I were among those who’d been misled by people pushing vaccine misinformation, I could be among those who are unvaccinated and would be at very high risk right now. I expect at least half of those at the same level of risk I am have no idea that they are at that much risk. 

Edited by KSera
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

And there are many, many people, many I personally know, who just don’t spent a lot of time thinking about Covid.  This board is not a good cross sectional representation of the population.  The vast majority of people I come into contact with IRL just do not spend much time thinking about Covid or vaccine efficiency or precautions at all.  There is a wide swath of people who literally, seriously, do not care if they catch Covid, they know the statistics of a mild illness are in their favor, and a lot who just wanted to get it over with.  With the data on reinfections and breakthrough illness, I suspect that everyone just assumes they’ll get it at some point, probably more than once, and why bother with the precautions now.

Thank you. I will go further. The people who scream “follow the science” like science is a pope that is one thing and doesn’t change, particularly here where they gave us a vaccine that may not even be effective beyond 6 months and never said “listen, it’s new, who knows?”, and further who flip flop daily on mask guidance, and other things, but somehow critical thinking when it comes to this board only applies if you end up reaching the same exact conclusion that  you reached, that is vaccinate in all cases, otherwise you’re a right wing nutter who doesn’t care about science. I mean this sort of tyranny on individual choice is what does lead to right wing governments which is what I think will happen in France and elsewhere. Teens are trying to get infected with covid there to avoid getting vaccine.

I’m an extremely left wing, somewhat educated person. I’m fully vaccinated as are my children, including getting this vaccine early.  Where I live and how I live, bar travel, my odds of getting Covid are low. I am okay with getting covid. I want to protect others and never stopped wearing a mask in a grocery store etc. There was no reason for me to get this vaccine and I should not have gotten it. My husband enjoys going to his office which requires vaccination, so he should have, and did. 

And it’s true that a large population of people want to live and not parse through covid data for fun. There is no choice, for say, my sister but to go to work, in a small office, with no masks. When we have the choice to be inside or outside, we are always outside. The idea that people can optimize every circumstance of their daily lives, and moreover have the means or bandwidth to do so to match daily public health news is just not that common. So when I do like this board and start spewing data at her she stops me because what is she supposed to do? 
anyway, This is my last post on this topic, I will take my own advice and bow out of these threads. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, madteaparty said:

Thank you. I will go further. The people who scream “follow the science” like science is a pope that is one thing and doesn’t change, particularly here where they gave us a vaccine that may not even be effective beyond 6 months and never said “listen, it’s new, who knows?”, and further who flip flop daily on mask guidance, and other things, but somehow critical thinking when it comes to this board only applies if you end up reaching the same exact conclusion that  you reached, that is vaccinate in all cases, otherwise you’re a right wing nutter who doesn’t care about science

I am really not sure what you're saying. I know LOTS of people who say "follow the science" like the science is a religion, and it's actually one of my pet peeves, but I'm not seeing many people on here doing that. I've seen acknowledgment of the fact that it's new and we don't know how long immunity from it lasts from basically everyone on here.

I don't think it's "flip-flopping" on daily mask guidance to say that different mask guidance makes sense at different times, although I'll say that most people on here with little kids were actually pretty mad about the new guidance back in May and were worried about what it would mean for their kids. 

I want to protect others and never stopped wearing a mask in a grocery store etc. There was no reason for me to get this vaccine and I should not have gotten it

Those two statements aren't compatible. Full stop. Whatever is the case with Delta (and I'm pretty sure even with Delta there's an effect on cases and transmission), getting vaccinated was useful for protecting other people. 

Did you have a bad reaction from the vaccine? It sounds like you regret getting it, and I'm not sure why. 

Edited by Not_a_Number
  • Like 4

So when I do like this board and start spewing data at her she stops me because what is she supposed to do? 

I also want to add a note on this... I agree, most people aren't that interested in the data. I come to this board to share data, because most people in my life emphatically don't want to hear it. I have some friends that do and many more friends that don't. And I'm not mad at them about it or anything! But I don't see what's wrong with having a space where people can share data... 

Edited by Not_a_Number
  • Like 4

30 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

I don't think it's "flip-flopping" on daily mask guidance to say that different mask guidance makes sense at different times, although I'll say that most people on here with little kids were actually pretty mad about the new guidance back in May and were worried about what it would mean for their kids. 

Those two statements aren't compatible. Full stop. Whatever is the case with Delta (and I'm pretty sure even with Delta there's an effect on cases and transmission), getting vaccinated was useful for protecting other people. 

This is not true. If one got solely vaccinated to stop silent spread, the data seems to say this is not the case as apparently vaccinated people are spreading virus too. If one got vaccinated to stay out of the hospital, well I didn’t have a huge risk to into one anyway.

I had no reaction at all, none, my vaccine was a non event. The fact that you can’t seem to comprehend that someone can have a different view in the absence of injury says more about your point of view than mine.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, madteaparty said:

This is not true. If one got solely vaccinated to stop silent spread, the data seems to say this is not the case as apparently vaccinated people are spreading virus too. If one got vaccinated to stay out of the hospital, well I didn’t have a huge risk to into one anyway.

The fact that one CAN spread the virus with the vaccine does not mean that you're not reducing your odds of spreading the virus with the vaccine. You obviously are, even with Delta. 

It depends on how you define a huge risk. In my opinion, all of us on this board have a huge risk of going into the hospital, because I think of a 2-3% chance of getting hospitalized as a giant and unacceptable risk. 

I had no reaction at all, none, my vaccine was a non event. The fact that you can’t seem to comprehend that someone can have a different view in the absence of injury says more about your point of view than mine.

To be honest, I don't get it. What's the disadvantage to getting the vaccine if you aren't worried about your reaction? I am genuinely not seeing the issue. Would you mind explaining? 

Edited by Not_a_Number
  • Like 1

Just now, Not_a_Number said:

The fact that one CAN spread the virus with the vaccine does not mean that you're not reducing your odds of spreading the virus with the vaccine. You obviously are, even with Delta. 

It depends on how you define a huge risk. In my opinion, all of us on this board have a huge risk of going into the hospital, because I think of 2-3% of getting hospitalized as a giant and unacceptable risk. 

To be honest, I don't get it. What's the disadvantage to getting the vaccine if you aren't worried about your reaction? I am genuinely not seeing the issue. Would you mind explaining? 

I did explain, upthread. You don’t get it, it’s okay. 

Just now, madteaparty said:

I did explain, upthread. You don’t get it, it’s okay. 

Would you mind explaining again, though? Because I'm genuinely not following. I absolutely do understand vaccine hesitancy due to the possibility of a bad reaction (and I had a cruddier reaction than most people I know). I'm just not seeing it otherwise, though. 

4 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

Would you mind explaining again, though? Because I'm genuinely not following. I absolutely do understand vaccine hesitancy due to the possibility of a bad reaction (and I had a cruddier reaction than most people I know). I'm just not seeing it otherwise, though. 

No. It’s okay, you don’t need to follow.  This has been most illuminating to me though. My mind is equally boggled that you seem to think fear of a negative reaction is the only valid reason for someone to hesitate to take these vaccines. 

Edited by madteaparty
  • Confused 1

No. It’s okay, you don’t need to follow.  This has been most illuminating to me though. My mind is equally boggled that you seem to think fear of a negative reaction is the only valid reason for someone to hesitate to take these vaccines. 

Yeah, this confuses me. If it won't hurt me and protects others and keeps them from dying, then to me, it is morally wrong not to get it.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, madteaparty said:

I mean, that's definitely my stance on most medicines that might potentially protect me and have positive effects. I'd only avoid them if I were worried about either a short-term or a long-term reaction. 

I'd apply that to all sorts of medications. I mean, I occasionally take antivirals for cold sores, and those only have small a potential positive reaction compared with the possibility of seriously reducing my chance of going to the hospital. 

I'm still not getting it, but that's OK, I guess 🙂 . I was just wondering if there's something special about these vaccines in particular where one would avoid them specifically. 

11 hours ago, madteaparty said:

11 hours ago, madteaparty said:

Chances were overwhelmingly high that I would have been fine before, before being vaccinated. Just going by everyone I’m related to that has passed it just fine (parents, sister, etc).What I’m reading is that Delta symptoms are very mild. I suppose I might get it because of all the airports and planes and places I’ve been on it will be horrid, but that’s fine 🤷‍♀️

My brothers have both had covid. One now has it a second time. Both were fine the first time. One never stopped his lengthy (outdoor, solo) running routine. However,  I'm not in  that kind of shape so my risk is higher.  I'm very happy decision to get the vaccine when I did. My only regret (now) is getting the second shot right on recommended time. I wish I would have delayed a couple weeks. (My 2nd shot reaction was ugly:  mostly the killer knife-stabbing headaches to the base of my skull.)

I'm glad you've been able to travel again and that you are well. That is my wish for everyone -- that they can get back to living their lives & be well. Both. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, RootAnn said:

Maybe strong enough for Alpha. Strong enough for Delta?? I don't know.

Oh, that actually makes me feel a little better. So there is not actually a wearing-off effect, but rather just less efficacy against Delta? I know that Delta is a game-changer; I just hope that my February Pfizer is not significantly less effective than if I had had it in, say, April or May. Any studies on this? @Not_a_Number?

9 minutes ago, Longtime Lurker said:

Oh, that actually makes me feel a little better. So there is not actually a wearing-off effect, but rather just less efficacy against Delta? I know that Delta is a game-changer; I just hope that my February Pfizer is not significantly less effective than if I had had it in, say, April or May. Any studies on this? @Not_a_Number?

There seems to be both a wearing-off effect and issues with Delta. I actually had the impression the wearing-off effect was possibly a bigger issue, although it’s EXTREMELY hard to disentangle, due to the timing coincidence.

In Israel, there’s also the confounding effect of the fact that the oldest people got the vaccine first. 

All that being said, the vaccine seems to still be quite protective against severe cases. So I would assume you’re still protected!!

• Like 5