Menu

Have I started an exodus from the forums? :-(

Not_a_Number

Just now, Matryoshka said:

I don't think it was you... on the Site Maintenance board, a bunch of people asked to have their accounts removed after the glitch where some people's real names and emails showed up for a day or two.  Not sure how many made new accounts vs. left...

I know it was me in a couple of cases, and in any case, it reminded people that it's possible to have all of one's posts deleted 😞 . But I'm sure the double whammy really didn't help. 

Just now, BaseballandHockey said:

I'm pretty sure I'm the one who let you know it was possible.  Stella is the one who made me aware.   

I used to be CuriousMomof3. 

Yep, you're my inspiration!! But I think I was way more public about it, which is why I may have prompted more people to leave 😞 . 

I recently deleted my old account.  I have been around for several years and was fairly active.....though probably not in a way that anyone would notice or remember me.   I took a break and then started over with this account.    I had been debating deleting the account for a while to increase my privacy and then the security glitch happened and I knew it needed to be done.   It is a relief to feel more secure and I will definitely be far more careful with what I reveal.  So I look new here, but am not!

• Like 5

It's not only that, there was also a weird glitch for a few hours a few weeks back where if you signed in it said something like "enter your username or your account will be deleted."  I happened to enter my old username and it worked, but I gather it didn't work for several people and the board deleted their accounts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Not_a_Number said:

I know it was me in a couple of cases

I think you should have a grand apology thread, and as a math expert divulge all your math secrets. Your favorite calculators, where to buy them, anything. Then everyone will come back.

No, seriously, I didn't know about the privacy breech with the glitch. It happens and people drift in and out. We just got through a full moon too, and these are boards full of women (hormones, etc.). If someone is annoyed by a poster, they can PUT THEM ON IGNORE and live in peace. IGNORE is the board's peace pipe. People who are like oh I would never use ignore, I'm too nice and open-minded and all that, usually end up leaving.

Fwiw, you're not on ignore for me, which means you probably weren't TOO whatever you think you were, lol. Maybe people are all just busy buying new calculators. I mean, I did have that inspiring math thread and it is a $9billion a year industry. They're probably just doing their patriotic duty and helping the economy by working on their math. :biggrin:

Adding: I wouldn't be shocked if people are taking some deep breaths over the fights people have been having about coronamess. But seriously, take your deep breaths doing math. It will make everything better. I know my eyes have gotten opened with some of the comments by people. But back to math. It's something we can all agree on.

Edited by PeterPan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 17

52 minutes ago, Ditto said:

I recently deleted my old account.  I have been around for several years and was fairly active.....though probably not in a way that anyone would notice or remember me.   I took a break and then started over with this account.    I had been debating deleting the account for a while to increase my privacy and then the security glitch happened and I knew it needed to be done.   It is a relief to feel more secure and I will definitely be far more careful with what I reveal.  So I look new here, but am not!

Wanna PM me who you are?

14 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

Fwiw, you're not on ignore for me, which means you probably weren't TOO whatever you think you were, lol. Maybe people are all just busy buying new calculators. I mean, I did have that inspiring math thread and it is a $9billion a year industry. They're probably just doing their patriotic duty and helping the economy by working on their math. :biggrin:

I mean, I’m annoying and all, but I didn’t mean I scared people off!! I mean that I deleted my old account, and then more people followed suit!!

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

I mean, I’m annoying and all, but I didn’t mean I scared people off!! I mean that I deleted my old account, and then more people followed suit!!

I'm confused. You still have all your stats showing. Did you just change your board name?? Wouldn't the stats have started over if you deleted your account? 

I think people have their own reasons for doing things and it probably had very little to do with you. Seriously, make data on the moon and board behaviors. Totally correlates. And the covid mess has been BRUTAL. We've had people here saying stuff that others just look at and don't identify with. And people have made political comments. But I think give it time and things recover. 

You're too young to know about The Great Exodus that occurred years ago. Swaths and swaths of people you never knew. They went to an undisclosed location. And the boards bounced back and life went on. It wasn't the SAME, but life went on. Things go in cycles, things happen. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

You're too young to know about The Great Exodus that occurred years ago. Swaths and swaths of people you never knew. They went to an undisclosed location. And the boards bounced back and life went on. It wasn't the SAME, but life went on. Things go in cycles, things happen. 

I don’t know about that. Still upset over their disappearance and often wonder where they are hiding. 😉

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

I don’t know about that. Still upset over their disappearance and often wonder where they are hiding. 😉

I know where they are. Guess I'm not social enough to hang in multiple places because I just hang here anyway. Really, life goes on. There's always someone more to talk with. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Plum said:

I’m sure some are tired of having to log in all the time. It’s still a problem.

Huh.  I thought it was just me.  My computer is glitching in so many ways, including not retaining log-ins for websites.  If anyone has any great remedies for that, I'd love to know!

59 minutes ago, Plum said:

I’m sure some are tired of having to log in all the time. It’s still a problem. A couple of board turnovers ago there was a mass exodus when they forced us to tie our WTM store accounts to our forum accounts and added the like button. A lot of people didn’t like that.
Clubs and social groups that could be made private we’re either lost or more difficult to get to. 
We lost a lot of good posts in some of the turnovers. 
The search feature 

I don’t believe it’s because of one person. I think homeschoolers have more mettle than that.  

X-posted

Or we’re in the middle of a school year now and don’t have time to think about deep heavy philosophical discussions, that’s for between February and July. 😉👍

It’s not that people have really LEFT, but I’ve seen a surprising number of account deletions!! Mostly they’ve come back with new names.

Edited by Not_a_Number

6 hours ago, Not_a_Number said:

Me, too. I’m sorry about the Personal Experiences thread 😞 .

Hey I missed it, what happened? You know, don't take things so hard. You're young, Grasshopper. Watch some Kung Fu or Karate Kid. Bounce back. We all screw up. I screw up a LOT. 

Have you been having any fun lately? You're in NY, right? Have you gotten out to look at the fall colors? When I get squirrelly, it means I need to reconnect with nature, travel, get out. You need to just get in the car and GO somewhere. Go find a cave. I think there are caves in NY. You should just go walk in one till you're very sure of yourself.

3 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

Hey I missed it, what happened? You know, don't take things so hard. You're young, Grasshopper. Watch some Kung Fu or Karate Kid. Bounce back. We all screw up. I screw up a LOT. 

Have you been having any fun lately? You're in NY, right? Have you gotten out to look at the fall colors? When I get squirrelly, it means I need to reconnect with nature, travel, get out. You need to just get in the car and GO somewhere. Go find a cave. I think there are caves in NY. You should just go walk in one till you're very sure of yourself.

I didn't screw up, lol. I got outed to my work and had to delete my account so they wouldn't read every single one of my posts at their leisure. 

Edited by Not_a_Number
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

6 hours ago, Not_a_Number said:

I didn't screw up, lol. I got outed to my work and had to delete my account so they wouldn't read every single one of my posts at their leisure. 

Ok, now a question. Is this security breech continuing? Is our information STILL out there floating around? I don't know how I missed this. How do we know if we were affected? And if this happened, why didn't the board managers send us an email notifying us?

• Like 1

Still Quill, here. I hope to high heaven I never need to delete my account or change my UN, because I want proof of the thousands of hours I’ve wasted...er...spent talking here. 

But it is disorienting for me when solid members leave. I was just thinking last night about board members from long ago that, afaik, are gone. Impish. Stella. Sparkly Unicorn. Heather in Neverland. Osmosis Mom. Parrothead. Creekland. And many others. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Still here but my name changed during the weird glitch.   Turns out punctuation isn't allowed anymore (I guess?) and I tried a few things before finding one that worked.  I'd like to change it to something that's not quite so obviously me (IRL) but I can't seem to do that yet.  It's changed under Account Settings but won't change here on the forums.   The link that says claims to be to change it on the forums just takes me to the overall account settings. 

20 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

Well, if that's what I'm seem as important for . . . .

I thought this was sardonic and was going to add, "and, more recently, kitten pictures." But, seriously, I've learned a lot from your posts on Dudeling as well as older posts on your older kids' paths in life. 

Edited by RootAnn
  • Like 6

On 10/13/2020 at 12:01 PM, klmama said:

Huh.  I thought it was just me.  My computer is glitching in so many ways, including not retaining log-ins for websites.  If anyone has any great remedies for that, I'd love to know!

If it's happening on multiple sites, you might check your browser settings.  Whitelist the sites you want to stay logged into in the cookie manager.

19 hours ago, Katy said:

If it's happening on multiple sites, you might check your browser settings.  Whitelist the sites you want to stay logged into in the cookie manager.

Yes.  The Site News forum update talks about this issue and the use of cookies to maintain connection to the website.  🙂

On 10/13/2020 at 8:00 AM, Not_a_Number said:

I'm noticing quite a few missing accounts right now, with all of their posts gone, just like mine! Is anyone who recently nuked their accounts still around, after deleting them? 

I pretty much deleted myself - deleted my name, stopped posting and I'll probably eventually delete my account, but I'm still reading on here once in a while and saw your thread.  No, it's not you!  lol. I've been on this forum for about 12 years now and I was a pretty active poster.  Without saying too much, let me say that I miss the friendliness and positivity.  I also miss hearing from some of the older posters and diversity of opinions/posts. 

• Like 1