Menu

this is why I can't stand curbside pickup!

ktgrok

Some stores are better than others.

My DD16 works at Target in fulfillment (shipping up to 200 packages an hour while juggling drive up orders in 2 hours). 

I had no idea the level of inventory madness within a SuperTarget on top of  the crazy demands/deadlines/expectations placed on the order fulfillers.  No idea at all.  DD16 is super capable, responsible and a very hard worker.  That’s likely why she was hired on the spot. 

It seems so simple when I think of how I shop...but hearing DDs stories, I realize it’s not that simple and sometimes employees are not so bright and usually it’s a pressurized work environment.  When you are constantly behind on orders, penalized with your ratings for not finding every.single thing instantly, measured on how fast you can fill and order.... all while walking 20k steps a day amongst a regular customer filled store and trying to zooooom as quickly as humanly possible while making presumably $12 an hour (don’t know much Walmart employees make- DD makes $15)... it’s not shocking.l that things aren’t done well.  Thankfully Target does an excellent job. 

Im not trying shame anyone but at the end of the day I am super grateful for the convenience of picking up groceries this way- so much so, I can and will overlook just about everything. And I have compassion for the challenge of the job in a way I didn’t before. LOL

• Like 4

After the 1st time, I don't allow substitutions on anything. I ordered the BIG container of cinnamon and ended up with 15 small containers that I somehow had to find room for in my cabinets 😂

But I've been using it since pre-covid for my own convenience, not to limit exposure. I always go to Meijer afterwards because I like to pick my own produce and theirs is better than Wal-Mart's. So whatever the pickers can't find, I pick up when I'm at Meijer. It makes for a quick in and out shopping experience.

• Haha 2

I will admit that sometimes what they choose to substitute or don't is weird, but overall we have had great luck with Walmart.  Usually the substitutions end up being a great deal for me because it's always a larger package or the name brand instead of the store brand for the same price.  It's the only reason we now shop at Walmart, because I don't have to do the shopping.  I had one time where some of my produce was not a quality I was happy with.  They have a 100% guarantee on produce and the return was so easy.  All done on my phone and I didn't have to actually return the produce to the store.  On the other hand, I had terrible luck with Kroger, and that was before the pandemic when I was paying $5 for the service.  

• Like 1

On 8/25/2020 at 7:07 PM, MissLemon said:

We have a small butcher shop near here that also sells some produce.  Every.single.time. I shopped there, I had to remind them "Please do not put the meat in the same bag as the produce", and they look at me like I'm nuts and high maintenance.  

Pre-covid, I was teaching DS12 how to properly bag groceries at the self-checkout.  It doesn't seem like the stores around here teach the employees how to bag things correctly.  It's all about speed. 

The older ladies at the grocery stores boss the younger ones around. "No, don't do it that way. You can't put cleaning stuff in with food." They're like moms to them, patient and all, but very diret.

On 8/25/2020 at 7:31 PM, Sk8ermaiden said:

It may be. EVERY curbside worker at my Walmart *looks* (if we're judging books by their covers) like a mom. They are all grown adult women, and with the exception of the first month of lockdown, all my substitutions are very reasonable. 

I would totally trust a middle aged lady to help with my groceries. A 20 yr old college student, not so much.

I've had good luck for the most part with curbside. With Walmart, it seems they often want to substitute their brand for the brand I requested. Normally I'm fine with generic but I don't care for most Walmart brand items.

The only really weird thing that happened to me was a month or so ago when they gave me a box of microwave popcorn bags in place of saltine crackers. Um, what shopper thought that was a good substitute????? I didn't get notified of that substitute. It just happened.

• Haha 1

Yes, it's hit-or-miss here too. I found that the weekend crew is worse than the M-F crew. Morning is better than afternoon.

They're all young with the exception of one older guy that was there even when I was ordering from them two years ago. He seems to be in charge now. 

On 8/25/2020 at 6:01 PM, Ktgrok said:

All the other stores use Shipt. And I do have a membership and use it a LOT, but at most stores it is significantly more expensive than just buying it yourself. Like, each item is more expensive, plus tip. At Target Shipt is about the same price or at least reasonable, so I do use it weekly at least from there, but they don't have everything I need. And even there, the tips (10 percent at least) are really adding up on our budget 😞

I haven't tried Target curbside but on their website it says they can't do perishable foods. Does that mean I couldn't get milk? Ground beef? Any refrigerated perishable food? If true, then their curbside pickup would be useless for me. 

On 8/25/2020 at 6:30 PM, theelfqueen said:

So I have been using Instacart for my big orders... yes theres a fee but theres usually.something availble to lessen it .... while they're shopping they are on the app asking you before they make substitutions and in contact about these things (one time the lady was like "the precut.pinapple doesnt look good. Should I get you a fresh one instead?" I do have to keep my phone handy during shopping time to respond that yes 2 6 packs of mini cans of soda instead of 1 12 pack is fine. But I've had a really good experience. 

I use Instacart occasionally and especially when I specifically want to shop Publix. I do like that they (and Shipt which I've used in the past) will contact you like that and ask you to make decisions. I had one who told me the bagged onions didn't look good, and asked if she should just get me some loose ones. I know they wouldn't do that at Walmart. They just toss it in regardless of how it looks. I'm just not willing to pay the extra cost on a regular basis. It's fine now and then but that's all. 

On 8/25/2020 at 7:02 PM, frogger said:

I only used it a couple times but that was my attitude. We decided it was going to be a fun surprise finding out what is in bag #4 and never knowing what we weregoing to get. 

My favorite example was my nieces order for a variety 4 pack of dye before Easter. She recieved 4 individual bottles of dye but they were all the same color.  

On 8/25/2020 at 7:09 PM, Spy Car said:

It's like mystery shopping! LOL.

I'd convince myself that monochromatic Easter eggs were all the rage. And I got the best color.

Is my current attitude a form of self-delusion? Almost certainly :tongue:

Bill

This is a bit off topic, but we've been getting misfit produce from Misfits Market since the start of the pandemic. I've ordered enough that I'm now allowed to choose my items but sometimes I let them send me whatever. We kind of like the idea of being forced to try fruits and vegetables we don't normally buy. If they would just stop sending me kale I'd probably always let them choose my items. 😄 

On 8/25/2020 at 10:46 PM, Farrar said:

I can't even trust my husband not to come home with a bunch of crazy, overpriced weird stuff if I send him to the store. So I definitely don't trust the curbside pickup or delivery.

LOL. I actually trust those shoppers more than I do my husband. I never know what he'll come home with. 😂😂😂

I've never been a Walmart shopper but they've been doing a really good job during all of this. Well, mostly a good job. I've been using them for most of my basic stuff and other than a few weird happenings, I usually get what I ordered.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Lady Florida. said:

This is a bit off topic, but we've been getting misfit produce from Misfits Market since the start of the pandemic. I've ordered enough that I'm now allowed to choose my items but sometimes I let them send me whatever. We kind of like the idea of being forced to try fruits and vegetables we don't normally buy. If they would just stop sending me kale I'd probably always let them choose my items. 😄 

Kale is popular enough in my home that I'm growing a few different types.

But pre-Covid (we will need a shorthand for that--PCVD--or something) I'd often set myself a challenge when food shopping to purchase at least one ingredient or food item I'd never had before, which is made easier in Los Angeles by the diverse food cultures.

And some of my best meals are created when my wife says the magic-words "we have nothing in the house." LOL. I enjoy having to improvise.

Bill

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Lady Florida. said:

If they would just stop sending me kale I'd probably always let them choose my items. 😄 

I just bought kale, and it's much better than I remembered.  I've added it to breakfast muffins, smoothies, and salad without even really noticing its taste.  Now, to figure out what to do with the collard greens I impulsively bought at the same time....

2 hours ago, Lady Florida. said:

I've had good luck for the most part with curbside. With Walmart, it seems they often want to substitute their brand for the brand I requested. Normally I'm fine with generic but I don't care for most Walmart brand items.

The only really weird thing that happened to me was a month or so ago when they gave me a box of microwave popcorn bags in place of saltine crackers. Um, what shopper thought that was a good substitute????? I didn't get notified of that substitute. It just happened.

I wonder if someone who ordered microwave popcorn was surprised to find saltine crackers in their bag? 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

33 minutes ago, klmama said:

I just bought kale, and it's much better than I remembered.  I've added it to breakfast muffins, smoothies, and salad without even really noticing its taste.  Now, to figure out what to do with the collard greens I impulsively bought at the same time....

I love collard greens...I mean LOVE!

Two ideas.

One, wash them well, remove tough stems (ends) then slice them crosswise into 4 or 5 sections (depending on how big they are).

To cook drizzle with a little olive oil, salt, fresh garlic, and add a scant amount of water. Steam/saute very briefly in a heavy pot with the lid on. Just get them softened and still bright green. Maybe 5 minutes. Delicious.

Another thing you can do is to use the leaves as wraps. If they are large leaves, take a vegetable peeler to the central spine and remove it (so leaves will roll nicely). 

Bill

2 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

I love collard greens...I mean LOVE!

Two ideas.

One, wash them well, remove tough stems (ends) then slice them crosswise into 4 or 5 sections (depending on how big they are).

To cook drizzle with a little olive oil, salt, fresh garlic, and add a scant amount of water. Steam/saute very briefly in a heavy pot with the lid on. Just get them softened and still bright green. Maybe 5 minutes. Delicious.

Another thing you can do is to use the leaves as wraps. If they are large leaves, take a vegetable peeler to the central spine and remove it (so leaves will roll nicely). 

Bill

I'm cringing. 

You must not be a "super taster", lol. 

Collards are SO bitter to me! I can only eat them if they are southern style...cooked to death in pork based liquid until not bitter and mostly taste like salt and fat, lol. (which is why I don't make them but maybe every few years)

Just now, Ktgrok said:

I'm cringing. 

You must not be a "super taster", lol. 

Collards are SO bitter to me! I can only eat them if they are southern style...cooked to death in pork based liquid until not bitter and mostly taste like salt and fat, lol. (which is why I don't make them but maybe every few years)

I like bitter. Espresso, bitter greens, dark chocolate--bring it on. LOL.

And my wife loves collard greens even more than me (if that's possible). 

Bill

I cannot stand going into Walmart but I had to break up with Aldi after serious quality issues and Publix is just too expensive for my regular shopping needs. So, after my Aldi breakup I started doing Walmart grocery pickup and I have been using that almost exclusively for my shopping for over a year.

Substitutions can be weird but I mostly allow them because more often than not they work out in my favor (larger size, more expensive brand) for same price as requested item. If they are not acceptable I just decline them. Occasionally I have accepted an odd subsitution just to try something different. We have had some glitches (poor quality produce or a package that had come open or something) and I requested a refund with no issues. It's annoying but not enough to give up on it. More often than not it is just fine and shopping inside Walmart isn't an option for me even pre-covid. I can only buy enough there that I can do self checkout with.

My teen ds enjoys pizza hot pockets when he is on his own for a meal. Last week they substituted ham and cheese hot pockets. I declined them and they didn't charge me but somehow they still ended up in my order. So I've been eating these stupid hot pockets to get rid of them. I don't like them. I just didn't want to waste them or drive back to the store. Sometimes we do end up with weird situtations like that. But we also have times I order a small bag of frozen catfish and they are out so they substitute a whole case 🙂

The worst experience was getting almost home and getting a call from the store that they had given me someone else's order. So I had to drive back and return it and get my own order and I ended up late to an appointment. That was highly annoying but I have worked enough service jobs to have pity on the girl that made the mistake. I am careful now to eyeball what is going in my van now and make sure it looks like my order. 

3 hours ago, Lady Florida. said:

I haven't tried Target curbside but on their website it says they can't do perishable foods. Does that mean I couldn't get milk? Ground beef? Any refrigerated perishable food? If true, then their curbside pickup would be useless for me. 

<snip>

LOL. I actually trust those shoppers more than I do my husband. I never know what he'll come home with. 😂😂😂

<snip>

I've used Target for diaper pickup.  It was fine, the girl who brought the diapers to my car was pushing them out as I pulled in the parking lot.  I put in the comments that if I could get stuff like soy milk there I'd shop there all the time instead of going to Walmart, and the store manager emailed me back and said that for now they don't have enough cooler space for cold items, they are trying to get it but it will be several months at least.

I imagine that type of equipment probably comes from overseas, so if they're having the same shipping issues other products are we may be long past the pandemic before that's possible.  Especially because many Targets have recently been remodeled and this will be another remodel.

ETA: Oh yeah, I trust them more than my DH too.  He'll often forget stuff on the list and come home with several HUNDRED dollars of stuff that wasn't on the list. Then it gets freezer burn before I ever find it again.

Edited by Katy
  • Like 1

I only let Walmart substitute milk for me.  I've heard enough stories about what crazy substitutes people get from them.

Yesterday a neighborhood friend posted her substitution that our local Walmart provided -- LOL.  She got shoes in place of Wet Ones wipes 🤣!

118452862_770623343504210_4045058407347918064_o.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 12

So, I’m mostly fine with what are usually just minor inconveniences for substitutions and rejecting the ones that won’t work for me, BUUUUT... today’s is almost as good as the clogs above.

I took a chance on ordering a pack of wide mouth jar lids. When I saw they were on my sub list, I figured they picked narrow mouth which won’t help me. Nope. They substituted LABELS for lids. Because why not?

My usual pet peeve showed up again today, too. I regularly order 32oz of plain, whole milk yogurt, and they frequently try to sub it with one little jar of Oui flavored yogurt.  No.

• Haha 2

My 17 yo ds works at a grocery story (not the one I shop at) and he came home with a story last night. Apparently a woman had placed a pickup order over $400. When she arrived and found out that her Hot Pockets (which I had posted about upthread) were out of stock she said "just forget it!") and drove off angry without her order. So, she needed $400 worth of groceries but refused her whole dang order because Hot Pockets were unavailable. So, gosh, it isn't just the stores and their employees making strange choices in regards to pickup. LOL.

But the interesting point is the apparent local Hot Pocket shortage. ??? Has there been a supply chain disruption?? Or is that the result of college kids moving back in town??? I'm thinking it is the latter. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

20 minutes ago, teachermom2834 said:

My 17 yo ds works at a grocery story (not the one I shop at) and he came home with a story last night. Apparently a woman had placed a pickup order over $400. When she arrived and found out that her Hot Pockets (which I had posted about upthread) were out of stock she said "just forget it!") and drove off angry without her order. So, she needed $400 worth of groceries but refused her whole dang order because Hot Pockets were unavailable. So, gosh, it isn't just the stores and their employees making strange choices in regards to pickup. LOL.

But the interesting point is the apparent local Hot Pocket shortage. ??? Has there been a supply chain disruption?? Or is that the result of college kids moving back in town??? I'm thinking it is the latter. 

I have never had a Hot Pocket........I wonder if we are completely missing out. 😉Obviously she must really love them.  We ordered a lunch from Publix Deli the other day and clearly marked if they didn’t have all the deli items we didn’t want any of them but we did want our other groceries.

We are still trying to eat all the onion rings we got from Whole Foods back in April instead of potato products.....I ordered several different bags of French frie types and they all turned into onion rings.  I was desperate enough to accept because I was worried about food shortages.  We aren’t fond of onion rings and have a big freezer...so once a month we have onion rings as our side.  I think I have one more meal to go!

Btw,  Sam’s Club does curbside now and it seems to be working well for us. 

OMG, re: the hot pockets. LOL. 😂 How weird. 

I'm always paranoid that my shopper will think I'm high maintenance, haha. They were out of stock of the bulk tilapia I ordered, so then I had to tell her to remove half a dozen other items from my order (because no tilapia = no fish tacos = I don't need the cabbage and cilantro and fancy salsa this week).  I gave a flustered, half-explanation but I'm sure she could not have cared less. 😳

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, alisoncooks said:

OMG, re: the hot pockets. LOL. 😂 How weird. 

I'm always paranoid that my shopper will think I'm high maintenance, haha. They were out of stock of the bulk tilapia I ordered, so then I had to tell her to remove half a dozen other items from my order (because no tilapia = no fish tacos = I don't need the cabbage and cilantro and fancy salsa this week).  I gave a flustered, half-explanation but I'm sure she could not have cared less. 😳

Well I suppose the lady could have planned $400 worth of side items that were no longer necessary without the Hot Pockets 😂

I sometimes think my shopper will think I am weird because I will have all normal groceries and then something like a pumice stone or windshield wiper fluid or pencils. Haha. I really try hard to stay out of Walmart!  I remind myself all the time that they have seen far crazier things. In fact, my ds working in a grocery store has, I think, given him new appreciation for how normal and low maintenace we really are.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

41 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

Lol at some of the stories 

I’ve been watching Cobra Kai lately (Present day Karate kid & company) and one teacher mentioned Hot Pockets. 

Also, we watched a YouTube video with this musician Oliver Tree (it’s like a gimmicky 80s guy) and he showed his kitchen and the “new product” Hot Pockets. 
So I’ve been hearing HP a lot lately lol 

Jim Gaffigan on Hot Pockets is hilarious.🙂

On 8/26/2020 at 10:16 AM, cjzimmer1 said:

After my very first pick-up order, I learned not to ever allow substitutions.  I regularly order a bunch of something when it's on sale.  I ordered 10 pound of red grapes because they were on sale for 89 cents a pound.  However, turns out they were out of red grapes so the shopper subbed 10 pounds of green grapes at 2.99 a pound.  Um no, I will never pay that much for grapes, we'll just do without.  I'm a budget shopper, rarely is there anything I want them to sub for, I'd rather due with out than pay for a more expensive replacement.  But I realize those poor shoppers have to guess with no input, is this a shopper like you who just wants her item or a shopper like me who only wants it at that price and if it's not available I don't want anything.  They just can't win.  I did spend some time on Reddit reading comments from shoppers and pretty much everyone says, it is so helpful if you can specify replacements.  It's a total pain to do that on every item but since specify what I'm willing to accept, I never had a single flawed order after that.  So maybe if it's a must have item, try specify acceptable items or even leave a note that says "I'll accept any kind of egg available".  

Here when they substitute they charge the lower price.  But I don't want fruit flavoured drink rather than fruit juice, or the corn chips that aren't gluten free or some weird tasteless coffee.  I tend to specify very few substitutions.  My son can have one of 3 gf breads made by the same company - I am not paying $8 for bread he can't or won't eat.  There are some things I don't care about and I don't order certain fresh produce.

• 2 weeks later...

Fun grocery sub of the day:

I ordered 4 individual chicken breasts at $1.39/lb. I received 4 packs of chicken (2 breasts ea) averaging $7/pack. So $5.56 vs $28ish. 

Um...sorry. I can't ignore that one. Fortunately, a quick phone call = refunded (but keep the) chicken. Whew. 

Another sub that I'll have to go in to fix: they swapped my Memphis-style BBQ sauce for a South Carolina style (aka mustard based)!!! 😵😵😵 That just won't do. 

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, alisoncooks said:

Fun grocery sub of the day:

I ordered 4 individual chicken breasts at $1.39/lb. I received 4 packs of chicken (2 breasts ea) averaging $7/pack. So $5.56 vs $28ish. 

Um...sorry. I can't ignore that one. Fortunately, a quick phone call = refunded (but keep the) chicken. Whew. 

Another sub that I'll have to go in to fix: they swapped my Memphis-style BBQ sauce for a South Carolina style (aka mustard based)!!! 😵😵😵 That just won't do. 

I love South Carolina style but yeah, if you really want Memphis style, that might be as bad as the Sherpa Clogs. 😂

I've been doing a big order every two weeks. Today's substitutions were generally neutral or in my favor (family size upgrade for regular size price).

However, there was one item they failed to substitute at all. Coffee. Plain old Maxwell House coffee. They really couldn't substitute anything? I need my coffee! I would have taken a different brand, different size, even a flavor. Anything to have my morning coffee but no. I had to make an extra run into another store to pick some up. Rarely do I NEED anything that badly. But I do need my coffee and would have taken almost any substitute (except decaf. LOL). 

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, teachermom2834 said:

I've been doing a big order every two weeks. Today's substitutions were generally neutral or in my favor (family size upgrade for regular size price).

However, there was one item they failed to substitute at all. Coffee. Plain old Maxwell House coffee. They really couldn't substitute anything? I need my coffee! I would have taken a different brand, different size, even a flavor. Anything to have my morning coffee but no. I had to make an extra run into another store to pick some up. Rarely do I NEED anything that badly. But I do need my coffee and would have taken almost any substitute (except decaf. LOL). 

I would be 😭  

I do my own shopping but with DH working from home we go through it so fast. Consequently, I have multiple bags in the freezer and simply buy 2-3 bags every time I set foot in a store that has my brand/roast. 

But then we ran out of filters! Luckily we had funnel filters for the pour over we keep for camping. 😂 

• Like 1

On 8/25/2020 at 4:09 PM, Ktgrok said:

I placed an order with walmart for pickup. 

The main thing I needed was eggs, but I also wanted some pumpkin spice coffee, needed snacks, etc. 

I checked allow substitutions for everything. 

They substituted regular coffee for pumpkin spice, but gave me zero substitutions for the 18 count cage free eggs. Um, I need eggs! Give me another brand, or not cage free, or a dozen instead of 18, whatever! (I actually asked for two 18 count packs, so easily could substitute 3 dozen packages). 

A friend got a bunch of weird substitutes, but rather than substitute the brand of butter she ordered, gave her no butter. And she's out of butter. 

Now i have to run into the store, which was the whole point of doing curbside! And pickup is right when people are getting off work, so will be packed. UGH!

I only picked up curb side one time and that was  at kohl's for some lingerie.   lol

Are you able to go somewhere else for food essentials because they are essentials?  Can you confirm order before you go but  that  puts the burden on you which shouldn't be and now you're spending more time if you're able to confirm .   IDK since I really don't do curb side.