Menu

What's with the ads?

Ktgrok

church and Covid19

13 minutes ago, barnwife said:

Can I ask when that was? I'm asking because the bishops/archbishops of our diocese and those close to us issued dispensations from attending Mass over the weekend. Then today (Tues.) many of them cancelled all public Masses (most at least until just before Easter, some indefinitely). So definitely double-check what's happening in the Catholic diocese you are in. It may have changed since the weekend.

Also, I've gotten short emails like that from our priest (not about COVID-19). Usually it means he is thinking about things and he usually gets back to me with a better response. That may just be my priest though.

Yes. Word this afternoon from my diocese: no more public Masses; private Masses in the church only with a very limited number of liturgical ministers - these will be live streamed & no parishioners allowed in the churches; no private or home Masses for parishioners; general dispensation from attending Masses on Sundays and HDOs. This is in effect until the Wednesday before the Triduum begins and will be re-evaluated then. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, barnwife said:

Can I ask when that was? I'm asking because the bishops/archbishops of our diocese and those close to us issued dispensations from attending Mass over the weekend. Then today (Tues.) many of them cancelled all public Masses (most at least until just before Easter, some indefinitely). So definitely double-check what's happening in the Catholic diocese you are in. It may have changed since the weekend.

Also, I've gotten short emails like that from our priest (not about COVID-19). Usually it means he is thinking about things and he usually gets back to me with a better response. That may just be my priest though.

It was yesterday, the one from the former parish. 

Today was when I got an email from current parish that they are cancelling weekday services and figuring out how to hold services on sunday and still have social distancing, and yes, how to meet the desire for communion. 

Our Metropolitan just revised his earlier statement:

1.    Beginning today, all parishes are instructed to cancel all non-liturgical, in-person activities including schools, business meetings, and social functions.

2.   All liturgical services will be served with only clergy, servers, and chanters. No liturgical service can total more than ten persons.

3.   Churches should remain open during the week as much as possible for people to offer individual prayers and light candles.

4.   Priests are instructed to limit services to only the Akathist/Medayeh and Sunday Orthros & Divine Liturgy as well as the liturgy for the Annunciation on March 25th as outlined by the Department of Liturgics.

5.   All parishes are encouraged to take advantage of the technology at our disposal to livestream the divine services and offer education to the faithful.

6.   The Archdiocese will provide service texts for the faithful to pray at home during this time of social distancing. Please see the Liturgics section of our website for the new offerings.

7.   All measures to ensure the cleaning and sanitizing of the church must continue even though we are limiting our numbers of faithful in attendance.

8.   Funerals must be limited to the guidelines set by our civil authorities.

9.   Baptisms should be postponed except for cases of emergency.

So, no Monday, Wednesday, or Saturday evening services.  Laity have readers services and typika services for the divine liturgy they can do at home.  This Lent officially sucks.  It will be interesting to see what Pascha will be like...

Edited by WendyAndMilo
  • Like 1

We attended Sunday.  I felt obligated as I help in a Sunday school class.  We attended an early service and sat far from others, and I felt we maintained distance well.  My 5 yr old stayed with me instead of going to his class. Unfortunately, since then, there are now a couple cases in our town, so we will not be going to church for quite a while.  I know a lot of people just returning from spring break, and I am trying to keep my distance in the community.  Our church already livestreams services, so we will watch them.  I have not heard about church closure yet.  I am not panicked about the situation, but I do think holding services is irresponsible at this point.

• Like 1

Ok, so as of today, more than 24 hours after the President called for people not to gather in groups of 10 or more, the Catholic Diocese of Central Florida still has up on their website that the dispensation for Mass is only for the sick and those who care for them, those who are at high risk, and those who have been exposed to the virus due to travel. so if you just live with a person who is at high risk due to age, you are not dispensed. If you are not sick, and have not traveled, you are not dispensed, even though you may be carrying the virus (over 200 cases in our state now, 6 in our county with results pending on another 1000 tests, and they are rationing tests, only able to test if have traveled, have known contact, or have severe enough symptoms to be in the hospital. Today they said they are extending testing to those with symptoms who are in a high risk group by age or health status, but that is just starting. So the over 200 cases we know about is a drop in the bucket compared to what is likely out there. 

The local Catholic parish has up on the website in their latest update that they will continue to hold both Mass AND stations of the cross. At least the Priest did say that those at high risk should NOT attend, which is more than the bishop did! 

The last update on the Episcopal Diocese of Central Florida website is from March 4th!! I did find a notice on their Facebook page from 4 hours ago, in which they announce that the administrative offices of the Diocese are closed to the public. So they are closing themselves off, but not canceling services yet! It does, however, say that they will be issuing more guidelines soon...so we shall see. But in that same post they reference a guideline of not having gatherings of more than 50 people...the state is now saying 10 people, so he's behind even on that. 

• Sad 3

5 minutes ago, Ktgrok said:

It was yesterday, the one from the former parish. 

Today was when I got an email from current parish that they are cancelling weekday services and figuring out how to hold services on sunday and still have social distancing, and yes, how to meet the desire for communion. 

FWIW, I think you are in FL. I just looked up 3 different diocese there. I was able to easily see that the bishops of 2/3 have offered dispensations from attending Mass for the rest of March (that'd be the Diocese of St. Petersburg and Diocese of St. Augustine). It appears the Bishop of the Diocese of Orlando has offered a dispensation that isn't quite so broad. I didn't look at the websites of the other Florida diocese. But, mostly, I'd assume other diocese will follow suit.

@Ktgrok

Well, many diocese elsewhere have dispensed the mass.  Same God is in PA and FL, right?  Sounds like your diocese is just behind.  Don't go.  Don't worry about it.  Pray at home.  God will forgive any discrepency. 

My daughter's boyfriend is now on quarantine because he was exposed at church.  Luckily, dd stayed at school to work and didn't come home.  If she gets sick, Dh or I will probably go to stay with her and take care of her if she needs it (her roommates all went home), but we really need to keep her away from her brother unless she's been quarantined for at least two weeks.  

• Sad 3

3 minutes ago, parent said:

@Ktgrok

Well, many diocese elsewhere have dispensed the mass.  Same God is in PA and FL, right?  Sounds like your diocese is just behind.  Don't go.  Don't worry about it.  Pray at home.  God will forgive any discrepency. 

Oh, I'm not going. Didn't go last Sunday either. God wants prayer and worship, but he also expects us to be wise. And as far as I'm concerned gathering and spreading a deadly virus is exactly the opposite of loving your neighbor. 
I'm just furious that they seem to be trying to avoid making people upset rather than doing the hard thing and making the call. The Catholic Bishop actually said flat out that he's not going to make the call, he's leaving it up to the individual parishes. Total abdication of responsibility. At this point, I think the Pope needs to say something and step in, honestly. Even there they had Mass outdoors with distance!

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Ktgrok said:

Oh, I'm not going. Didn't go last Sunday either. God wants prayer and worship, but he also expects us to be wise. And as far as I'm concerned gathering and spreading a deadly virus is exactly the opposite of loving your neighbor. 
I'm just furious that they seem to be trying to avoid making people upset rather than doing the hard thing and making the call. The Catholic Bishop actually said flat out that he's not going to make the call, he's leaving it up to the individual parishes. Total abdication of responsibility. At this point, I think the Pope needs to say something and step in, honestly. Even there they had Mass outdoors with distance!

Well, the risk is different in every community so I understand why it is not blanket cancel everyone.  I really hoped we would not be affected as we are more rural, but now that it is here... I think any services should be canceled.  

6 minutes ago, parent said:

Well, the risk is different in every community so I understand why it is not blanket cancel everyone.  I really hoped we would not be affected as we are more rural, but now that it is here... I think any services should be canceled.  

We've had local cases for a week now though. One was in the same city as the Catholic parish. (cities here are small, so despite living about 15 minutes from both churches, they are in two different cities and I'm in a third)

So, I checked, and the email I sent my current parish did go to the right address. But no reply. I just sent another, with a link to the basket ball players showing that 3 of the 4 had no symptoms. Asking for him to at least go to morning prayer rather than communion, and to do it in a way that keeps 6 feet of distance. But that I'm praying that he does the hard thing and cancel services, going to livestream only. 

• Like 1

@WendyAndMilo  I got an email from our priest about 2hrs ago.  Our Metropolitan has closed all parishes in the Washington DC, NJ, and Albanian Archdiocese, as well as the seminaries.  No services whatsoever.   Monasteries are closed to all visitors and they may continue their scheduled services with the monastics.  I'm so saddened by this.  Of course I know this is for the good of all, but it is so sad that it is necessary.    The choir had just finished a flurry of emails trying to figure out a skeleton crew for the next two liturgies.  

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, PrincessMommy said:

@WendyAndMilo  I got an email from our priest about 2hrs ago.  Our Metropolitan has closed all parishes in the Washington DC, NJ, and Albanian Archdiocese, as well as the seminaries.  No services whatsoever.   Monasteries are closed to all visitors and they may continue their scheduled services with the monastics.  I'm so saddened by this.  Of course I know this is for the good of all, but it is so sad that it is necessary.    The choir had just finished a flurry of emails trying to figure out a skeleton crew for the next two liturgies.  

Oh my word.  So nothing?  Not even just the priest and one other person?

@Ktgrok Perhaps the Bishops in your area have built a concrete wall of protection with razor wire around the faithful in your diocese. (Ref. The Oh West Virginia thread for my attempt at humorous context here).

My local priest has finally seen the light byt, IMO, over-interpreted the guidance from the state/Bishop. Everything is shut down according to him, including Baptisms & Last Rites. He must be finally taking it seriously (for himself) because he said to seek out private confessions from another priest, but that in serious cases, he might be able to hear them out of doors, but not from anyone in a vulnerable (to this illness) group.

Strange Lent, indeed.

Y'all, I'm going to die not from the virus, but from my brain exploding. 

Bishop of Central Florida has a new post on Facebook and his blog. http://www.cfdiocese.org/bishopsblog/leading-like-christians-in-a-climate-of-fear/?fbclid=IwAR3oIpc4ckY6P008k40aB4PTere6tpFmQq0Fr2KG4x4Ph_0YNAz3TkstoxY

He asked for responses, so this is my comment on Facebook:

Social distancing and staying home from church is NOT about self protection! It is about protecting our brothers and sisters in Christ, about loving our neighbor the best way we can, and about protecting the "least of these" by not contributing to the spread of the virus. I am not at all at high risk, but I know that the more young, healthy people get together the more chances of spreading the virus in the community and the more chances those at high risk will be exposed and potentially lose their lives. To insinuate that staying home is selfish or even sinful, rather than a true sacrifice of Christian love is to miss the point. Attending group activities, even those in the churches, is not an act of fearlessness but an act of selfishness - one that risks the lives of the "least of these" we are supposed to care about.

• Like 7

Well, the Catholic parish has cancelled Mass. All services, except funerals and weddings and baptisms which will be immediate family only. Parish website says this applies to every church in the state. 

Edited by Ktgrok
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, WendyAndMilo said:

Oh my word.  So nothing?  Not even just the priest and one other person?

nope.. nothing.  I assume it is because if he has a service people will go and the Bishops are trying to keep people home.

• Sad 1

So, despite the total ridiculousness on the part of my local area, I finally found some peace - I thought to look up the Presiding Bishop's statement on things. Bishop Curry is an amazing man, who always brings a smile or a bit of hope to my life, and his response is straightforward and appreciated. He is calling for the suspension of all public worship up to and including Holy Week and Easter, but reminds everyone that no public worship doesn't mean no worship. His ability to bring theology into practical matters always inspires me,and this was no exception. I'd ASSUME my local bishop had already read this, but I'm sending it to him and my priest right now. https://episcopalchurch.org/posts/publicaffairs/presiding-bishop-michael-currys-word-church-holy-week-and-easter-day-2020-online?fbclid=IwAR0s6CQMiISlH7Ylt72cHgjndqAxj1Z0c_1pFrJqWqHQaB1nY9VRxECMy5I

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ktgrok said:

Y'all, I'm going to die not from the virus, but from my brain exploding. 

Bishop of Central Florida has a new post on Facebook and his blog. http://www.cfdiocese.org/bishopsblog/leading-like-christians-in-a-climate-of-fear/?fbclid=IwAR3oIpc4ckY6P008k40aB4PTere6tpFmQq0Fr2KG4x4Ph_0YNAz3TkstoxY

He asked for responses, so this is my comment on Facebook:

Social distancing and staying home from church is NOT about self protection! It is about protecting our brothers and sisters in Christ, about loving our neighbor the best way we can, and about protecting the "least of these" by not contributing to the spread of the virus. I am not at all at high risk, but I know that the more young, healthy people get together the more chances of spreading the virus in the community and the more chances those at high risk will be exposed and potentially lose their lives. To insinuate that staying home is selfish or even sinful, rather than a true sacrifice of Christian love is to miss the point. Attending group activities, even those in the churches, is not an act of fearlessness but an act of selfishness - one that risks the lives of the "least of these" we are supposed to care about.

Your reaction seems legitimate.  This is bullsh*t.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PrincessMommy said:

nope.. nothing.  I assume it is because if he has a service people will go and the Bishops are trying to keep people home.

We were thinking of having a sign up to attend -- up to 40 people -- but the priest and the bishop determined this was unseemly and unfair to those with less technological aptitude, availability.  At any rate, within a day, the archbishop closed the diocese.  The priest is to consume the presanctified gifts prepared for this week, and then we are closed for 2 weeks.  

We are soooo close to the bone re: priests--if one goes down, there is truly no one else to stand in his place.  The supply priests in our area are already "taken" completely through the summer--even among jurisdictions.  At some point, we have to protect our clergy as much as anyone else.  If our priest got COVID 19, we would be down for at least 2 months...and that doesn't even take into account the personal suffering of him and his family.  

The uncertainty of all of this is really what is most upsetting.  If we all knew that "this will all be done in a month" we could deal with it so much better.  But we don't know.  

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Patty Joanna said:

We were thinking of having a sign up to attend -- up to 40 people -- but the priest and the bishop determined this was unseemly and unfair to those with less technological aptitude, availability.  At any rate, within a day, the archbishop closed the diocese.  The priest is to consume the presanctified gifts prepared for this week, and then we are closed for 2 weeks.  

We are soooo close to the bone re: priests--if one goes down, there is truly no one else to stand in his place.  The supply priests in our area are already "taken" completely through the summer--even among jurisdictions.  At some point, we have to protect our clergy as much as anyone else.  If our priest got COVID 19, we would be down for at least 2 months...and that doesn't even take into account the personal suffering of him and his family.  

The uncertainty of all of this is really what is most upsetting.  If we all knew that "this will all be done in a month" we could deal with it so much better.  But we don't know.  

For Divine Liturgy, our priest just sent out a notification saying that if anyone truly needs to partake of the Eucharist, they can wait outside the church and at the right time, the deacon/subdeacon will let one or two people in at a time.  And he will continue to hear confessions on Monday and Wednesday since we limit the number signing up for each day.  But otherwise, that's it.

I agree that it is the unknown length of time that is the toughest to deal with.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Patty Joanna said:

The two priests at my son's parish (Antiochian) were both exposed and have self-quarantined.  My son said they have a guest priest coming this weekend - but they are also told to hold services with a skeleton crew - priest, deacon, 1 altar server and one chanter. 

Our Matushka is less than a year out from her cancer dx and treatment. 

• Sad 2

6 minutes ago, Happymomof1 said:

Our church youth group is doing some kind of activity on Zoom tonight. I'll have to see how it goes.  Sounds fun, though! 

Oh! Let us know what they do!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Happymomof1 said:

Our church youth group is doing some kind of activity on Zoom tonight. I'll have to see how it goes.  Sounds fun, though! 

Our parish did a virtual coffee hour this past Sunday on Zoom.   Our lady's prayer group did zoom prayer meeting on Tues morning.  It was a nice way to see each other and pray together. 

1 hour ago, Happymomof1 said:

Ours is going to be doing this, too. 

Here is a video message from our pastor that our church sent tonight. The first part was about "practical" concerns, it picks up with a message of encouragement at 2.56. I know most on this thread are Catholic or Orthodox or Episcopal, but maybe this word from a Presbyterian preacher could be used by God to strengthen and help someone tonight. 

Grace and peace

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, ScoutTN said:

Here is a video message from our pastor that our church sent tonight. The first part was about "practical" concerns, it picks up with a message of encouragement at 2.56. I know most on this thread are Catholic or Orthodox or Episcopal, but maybe this word from a Presbyterian preacher could be used by God to strengthen and help someone tonight. 

Grace and peace

That was beautiful, thank you for sharing.  

• Like 1

So today my parish finally canceled services - about time! They will do a live stream, which is normal, they always stream, so not sure why they waited so long to make this call. 

• Like 2

My church went to online today-I am so relieved. I have 3 ARDs this coming Monday that will be online as well. 

• Like 1