Menu

church and Covid19

ktgrok

41 minutes ago, RootAnn said:

This is similar to my experience today. Dispensation - but the pastor read it as "this weekend only" vs. "until this whole thing is over." He made the changes requested -- no Holy Water, no sign of peace, antibacterial wash before the consecration, but didn't cancel his Lenten talk in the church basement this afternoon. He thinks it is an overreaction because "Italy is like a third world country" and "we will do much better."

My boys didn't serve for the first time in forever. My family broke up our seating so we could stay over a meter away from anyone else. Less than 20 people there  (5 of them my family). We didn't go up for Communion. This is the only Mass in this church all week. We always sit in the same two pew area & rarely does anyone else sit in either place (Holy Days when there are > 30 people in attendance).

Several of the older & vulnerable people chose to stay home.

What I was upset about was the attitude our priest had about how if you attended, you are heroic & better than those who stayed home. Boo Hiss! 

Italy is a first world country---- not backward at all. They have more hospital beds per 1000 than we do.    My dh thinks that much of the ignorant talk is because the people have never traveled nor even watched tv shows that show what these countries are like.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, RootAnn said:

This is similar to my experience today. Dispensation - but the pastor read it as "this weekend only" vs. "until this whole thing is over." He made the changes requested -- no Holy Water, no sign of peace, antibacterial wash before the consecration, but didn't cancel his Lenten talk in the church basement this afternoon. He thinks it is an overreaction because "Italy is like a third world country" and "we will do much better."

My boys didn't serve for the first time in forever. My family broke up our seating so we could stay over a meter away from anyone else. Less than 20 people there  (5 of them my family). We didn't go up for Communion. This is the only Mass in this church all week. We always sit in the same two pew area & rarely does anyone else sit in either place (Holy Days when there are > 30 people in attendance).

Several of the older & vulnerable people chose to stay home.

What I was upset about was the attitude our priest had about how if you attended, you are heroic & better than those who stayed home. Boo Hiss! 

Yes, my priest made a comment about how they are wanting to close churches down and blew it off, like somehow this virus was some nefarious plot against churches, IDK, not having that discussion.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, TravelingChris said:

Italy is a first world country---- not backward at all. They have more hospital beds per 1000 than we do.    My dh thinks that much of the ignorant talk is because the people have never traveled nor even watched tv shows that show what these countries are like.

He lived there for a bit (a year, maybe?) so he thinks he knows it. I mentioned that we are no more prepared hospital bed & ventilator-wise than Italy but he believes he knows better. Prayers & doing my part to social distance. That's my personal mission.

Funny little side-note about LiveStreamed church service: I noticed when the pastor delivered little jokes as normal, it clearly felt awkward with no feedback laughter! It’s clearly challenging to deliver a little joke line for speech levity to a silent, empty auditorium. 😃

• Haha 1

Meeting went fairly well last night but I'm pretty sure our pastor still isn't really understanding how serious this is.  Officially he only cancelled the Wednesday night service and says "let's wait and see " on Sunday services.  He wants to have one service on Sunday morning with no other services, which won't really help. Now I'm praying that the governor shuts down churches this week to make it easier for our pastor.

It was hard to be there, look around and wonder if the same group will ever be together again 😞.

Ugh. I keep hearing this same story and it is just so dissapointing. I GET that this is a hard call - unprecedented in their lifetimes. But hello, that's what you signed up for as Pastor! That is the very definition of the job - to guide and protect your flock. Even if it is hard. 

And yes, I know this is hitting me harder than maybe it should, or normally would. But after having a big crisis of faith in the church at large a while back, and leaving my denomination over my utter frustration and dismay and lack of trust in leadership, this just adds a nail to the coffin. 

And the advice to pray because Jesus is the ultimate healer makes me wan to throw things. It basically implies that those that die or get sick were lacking in their prayer life or something. Ugh. 

• Like 3

I don't know if I need to ask y'all to pray for me or hold my earrings. Just got an email from the church that they are STILL not canceling church services this weekend!!!!!! And they said they are trying to figure out how to have social distancing AND HAVE COMMUNION!!!!!! This is a liturgical church, we don't do individual grape juice servings. Someone touches the bread, then puts it in your hand, often making contact with your hand before giving it to the next person. And of course, the person handing it to you has to be within arms reach (aka too close) to do that. And these are the priests, who I imagine are ministering to the sick! 

The president has said no gatherings larger than 10 people - how he thinks this is going to work I don't know. 

I could see an outdoor service, with everyone spread out, and speakers so everyone can hear, but unless he's going to start tossing communion wafers hail mary style, no idea ho he thinks communion is feasible. Already, only ONE of the regular servers/priests remembers to use a different hand when giving my son the gluten free communion wafer, to avoid cross contamination, so I have no real hope they can manage the level of hygiene required for this. 

And of course, the letter said to be patient and prayerful as they consider. Lemmee tell you, not feeling that. Much more in the tossing tables state. UGH. 

• Sad 4

6 minutes ago, Ktgrok said:

I don't know if I need to ask y'all to pray for me or hold my earrings. 

I hear the stress, and I totally agree with you, but I just howled with laughter over your turn of phrase!!!!

You are fabulous.  

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, elroisees said:

I hear the stress, and I totally agree with you, but I just howled with laughter over your turn of phrase!!!!

You are fabulous.  

LOL, thanks. 

I actually can't tell you how many times people have gotten a kick out of me getting angry. It used to upset me, now I just know its a thing. The few times I've cursed on Facebook it has created great amusement, and I've been told the same in person. 

• Haha 1

Our diocese now has a general dispensation, we will switch to viewing online. Although our church is tiny(last Saturday we had 14 total including our 6) and we are able to keep a good distance from people most of the attendees are older and I don't wish to risk getting anyone sick, if they want to take risks that is on them but it won't be on us.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Ktgrok said:

I don't know if I need to ask y'all to pray for me or hold my earrings. Just got an email from the church that they are STILL not canceling church services this weekend!!!!!! And they said they are trying to figure out how to have social distancing AND HAVE COMMUNION!!!!!! This is a liturgical church, we don't do individual grape juice servings. Someone touches the bread, then puts it in your hand, often making contact with your hand before giving it to the next person. And of course, the person handing it to you has to be within arms reach (aka too close) to do that. And these are the priests, who I imagine are ministering to the sick! 

The president has said no gatherings larger than 10 people - how he thinks this is going to work I don't know. 

I could see an outdoor service, with everyone spread out, and speakers so everyone can hear, but unless he's going to start tossing communion wafers hail mary style, no idea ho he thinks communion is feasible. Already, only ONE of the regular servers/priests remembers to use a different hand when giving my son the gluten free communion wafer, to avoid cross contamination, so I have no real hope they can manage the level of hygiene required for this. 

And of course, the letter said to be patient and prayerful as they consider. Lemmee tell you, not feeling that. Much more in the tossing tables state. UGH. 

it's an Episcopal church, iirc?  What is the bishop saying?  I'm so stunned.

here's what the Bishop of the Chicago diocese said: https://episcopalchicago.org/suspending-in-person-worship-a-letter-from-bishop-lee/

I'd be tempted to collect all these letters from across the country and send them to your priest and bishop.  *holds out gloved hand for earrings*

• Like 1

Just now, happi duck said:

it's an Episcopal church, iirc?  What is the bishop saying?  I'm so stunned.

here's what the Bishop of the Chicago diocese said: https://episcopalchicago.org/suspending-in-person-worship-a-letter-from-bishop-lee/

I'd be tempted to collect all these letters from across the country and send them to your priest and bishop.  *holds out gloved hand for earrings*

Bishop seems to have no clue that people without symptoms can spread it, how long it lives on surfaces, etc. Keep in mind, he is one of the most conservative Bishops, and the only one is our state  and one of the few in the country to not allow gay marriage, etc. So he's used to bucking the trend. 

• Sad 2

4 hours ago, CuriousMomof3 said:

Have you shared with him articles about the situation in DC, where the first identified person with COVID was an Episcopal priest who gave communion to hundreds of people?  The Episcopal diocese shut all the churches and schools, and other denominations followed suit, even before the Mayor and Governor shut the public schools. It's just not worth the risk.  

I emailed both the pastor at my current parish and the Catholic parish I used to attend, sharing my concerns, links, etc. I got a two sentence email from the Catholic church thanking me for my concern and that was it. Nothing from current Episcopal parish, but I'm actually wondering if they got it - I replied to a mass email from them and maybe it was a do not reply type email address. I need to resend, and suggest that if NOTHING ELSE they hold services outside, people stay 6 feet away from each other, and NO COMMUNION. The Episcopal church has had decades at a time or longer where the normal sunday service was morning prayer, not a communion service. There is no reason we can't do that now. 

Our pastor posted on Facebook last night that he is rethinking his position based on the most recent recommendations from the CDC and the president (by which I assume he means the 10-person rule). He says that we will continue to have services but that there will be more adjustments to how we conduct ourselves. Not sure what that means but I guess it's encouraging after the previous statements about obeying God and not man.

I know that some in our denomination have gone to service sign-ups, offering multiple services with limited attendance each. I am not sure that really does it though, given that we know the virus survives on surfaces for much longer than we'd like and that the pastor is obviously present for all services (not to mention visiting the hospitals, etc.). The first official case in the city my church is in was announced today, so I am hopeful that will spark some changes.

7 minutes ago, Ktgrok said:

I emailed both the pastor at my current parish and the Catholic parish I used to attend, sharing my concerns, links, etc. I got a two sentence email from the Catholic church thanking me for my concern and that was it. 

Can I ask when that was? I'm asking because the bishops/archbishops of our diocese and those close to us issued dispensations from attending Mass over the weekend. Then today (Tues.) many of them cancelled all public Masses (most at least until just before Easter, some indefinitely). So definitely double-check what's happening in the Catholic diocese you are in. It may have changed since the weekend.

Also, I've gotten short emails like that from our priest (not about COVID-19). Usually it means he is thinking about things and he usually gets back to me with a better response. That may just be my priest though.

Our church has had everything cancelled for a week already. 

Today they sent an email saying no service this Sunday and no other activites of any kind until April. They have a medical working group which is advising the elders. 

They are paying our facilities, nursery, and kitchen staff full time wages through all this, so the email included a reminder to tithe/give. 😉

13 minutes ago, barnwife said:

Can I ask when that was? I'm asking because the bishops/archbishops of our diocese and those close to us issued dispensations from attending Mass over the weekend. Then today (Tues.) many of them cancelled all public Masses (most at least until just before Easter, some indefinitely). So definitely double-check what's happening in the Catholic diocese you are in. It may have changed since the weekend.

Also, I've gotten short emails like that from our priest (not about COVID-19). Usually it means he is thinking about things and he usually gets back to me with a better response. That may just be my priest though.

Yes. Word this afternoon from my diocese: no more public Masses; private Masses in the church only with a very limited number of liturgical ministers - these will be live streamed & no parishioners allowed in the churches; no private or home Masses for parishioners; general dispensation from attending Masses on Sundays and HDOs. This is in effect until the Wednesday before the Triduum begins and will be re-evaluated then. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, barnwife said:

It was yesterday, the one from the former parish. 

Today was when I got an email from current parish that they are cancelling weekday services and figuring out how to hold services on sunday and still have social distancing, and yes, how to meet the desire for communion. 

Ok, so as of today, more than 24 hours after the President called for people not to gather in groups of 10 or more, the Catholic Diocese of Central Florida still has up on their website that the dispensation for Mass is only for the sick and those who care for them, those who are at high risk, and those who have been exposed to the virus due to travel. so if you just live with a person who is at high risk due to age, you are not dispensed. If you are not sick, and have not traveled, you are not dispensed, even though you may be carrying the virus (over 200 cases in our state now, 6 in our county with results pending on another 1000 tests, and they are rationing tests, only able to test if have traveled, have known contact, or have severe enough symptoms to be in the hospital. Today they said they are extending testing to those with symptoms who are in a high risk group by age or health status, but that is just starting. So the over 200 cases we know about is a drop in the bucket compared to what is likely out there. 

The local Catholic parish has up on the website in their latest update that they will continue to hold both Mass AND stations of the cross. At least the Priest did say that those at high risk should NOT attend, which is more than the bishop did! 

The last update on the Episcopal Diocese of Central Florida website is from March 4th!! I did find a notice on their Facebook page from 4 hours ago, in which they announce that the administrative offices of the Diocese are closed to the public. So they are closing themselves off, but not canceling services yet! It does, however, say that they will be issuing more guidelines soon...so we shall see. But in that same post they reference a guideline of not having gatherings of more than 50 people...the state is now saying 10 people, so he's behind even on that. 

• Sad 2

5 minutes ago, Ktgrok said:

It was yesterday, the one from the former parish. 

Today was when I got an email from current parish that they are cancelling weekday services and figuring out how to hold services on sunday and still have social distancing, and yes, how to meet the desire for communion. 

FWIW, I think you are in FL. I just looked up 3 different diocese there. I was able to easily see that the bishops of 2/3 have offered dispensations from attending Mass for the rest of March (that'd be the Diocese of St. Petersburg and Diocese of St. Augustine). It appears the Bishop of the Diocese of Orlando has offered a dispensation that isn't quite so broad. I didn't look at the websites of the other Florida diocese. But, mostly, I'd assume other diocese will follow suit.

My daughter's boyfriend is now on quarantine because he was exposed at church.  Luckily, dd stayed at school to work and didn't come home.  If she gets sick, Dh or I will probably go to stay with her and take care of her if she needs it (her roommates all went home), but we really need to keep her away from her brother unless she's been quarantined for at least two weeks.  

• Sad 3

3 minutes ago, parent said:

@Ktgrok

Well, many diocese elsewhere have dispensed the mass.  Same God is in PA and FL, right?  Sounds like your diocese is just behind.  Don't go.  Don't worry about it.  Pray at home.  God will forgive any discrepency. 

Oh, I'm not going. Didn't go last Sunday either. God wants prayer and worship, but he also expects us to be wise. And as far as I'm concerned gathering and spreading a deadly virus is exactly the opposite of loving your neighbor. 
I'm just furious that they seem to be trying to avoid making people upset rather than doing the hard thing and making the call. The Catholic Bishop actually said flat out that he's not going to make the call, he's leaving it up to the individual parishes. Total abdication of responsibility. At this point, I think the Pope needs to say something and step in, honestly. Even there they had Mass outdoors with distance!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, parent said:

Well, the risk is different in every community so I understand why it is not blanket cancel everyone.  I really hoped we would not be affected as we are more rural, but now that it is here... I think any services should be canceled.  

We've had local cases for a week now though. One was in the same city as the Catholic parish. (cities here are small, so despite living about 15 minutes from both churches, they are in two different cities and I'm in a third)

So, I checked, and the email I sent my current parish did go to the right address. But no reply. I just sent another, with a link to the basket ball players showing that 3 of the 4 had no symptoms. Asking for him to at least go to morning prayer rather than communion, and to do it in a way that keeps 6 feet of distance. But that I'm praying that he does the hard thing and cancel services, going to livestream only. 

• Like 1

@WendyAndMilo  I got an email from our priest about 2hrs ago.  Our Metropolitan has closed all parishes in the Washington DC, NJ, and Albanian Archdiocese, as well as the seminaries.  No services whatsoever.   Monasteries are closed to all visitors and they may continue their scheduled services with the monastics.  I'm so saddened by this.  Of course I know this is for the good of all, but it is so sad that it is necessary.    The choir had just finished a flurry of emails trying to figure out a skeleton crew for the next two liturgies.  

@Ktgrok Perhaps the Bishops in your area have built a concrete wall of protection with razor wire around the faithful in your diocese. (Ref. The Oh West Virginia thread for my attempt at humorous context here).

My local priest has finally seen the light byt, IMO, over-interpreted the guidance from the state/Bishop. Everything is shut down according to him, including Baptisms & Last Rites. He must be finally taking it seriously (for himself) because he said to seek out private confessions from another priest, but that in serious cases, he might be able to hear them out of doors, but not from anyone in a vulnerable (to this illness) group.

Strange Lent, indeed.

Y'all, I'm going to die not from the virus, but from my brain exploding. 

Bishop of Central Florida has a new post on Facebook and his blog. http://www.cfdiocese.org/bishopsblog/leading-like-christians-in-a-climate-of-fear/?fbclid=IwAR3oIpc4ckY6P008k40aB4PTere6tpFmQq0Fr2KG4x4Ph_0YNAz3TkstoxY

He asked for responses, so this is my comment on Facebook:

Social distancing and staying home from church is NOT about self protection! It is about protecting our brothers and sisters in Christ, about loving our neighbor the best way we can, and about protecting the "least of these" by not contributing to the spread of the virus. I am not at all at high risk, but I know that the more young, healthy people get together the more chances of spreading the virus in the community and the more chances those at high risk will be exposed and potentially lose their lives. To insinuate that staying home is selfish or even sinful, rather than a true sacrifice of Christian love is to miss the point. Attending group activities, even those in the churches, is not an act of fearlessness but an act of selfishness - one that risks the lives of the "least of these" we are supposed to care about.

• Like 6

Well, the Catholic parish has cancelled Mass. All services, except funerals and weddings and baptisms which will be immediate family only. Parish website says this applies to every church in the state. 

Edited by Ktgrok
  • Thanks 1

So, despite the total ridiculousness on the part of my local area, I finally found some peace - I thought to look up the Presiding Bishop's statement on things. Bishop Curry is an amazing man, who always brings a smile or a bit of hope to my life, and his response is straightforward and appreciated. He is calling for the suspension of all public worship up to and including Holy Week and Easter, but reminds everyone that no public worship doesn't mean no worship. His ability to bring theology into practical matters always inspires me,and this was no exception. I'd ASSUME my local bishop had already read this, but I'm sending it to him and my priest right now. https://episcopalchurch.org/posts/publicaffairs/presiding-bishop-michael-currys-word-church-holy-week-and-easter-day-2020-online?fbclid=IwAR0s6CQMiISlH7Ylt72cHgjndqAxj1Z0c_1pFrJqWqHQaB1nY9VRxECMy5I

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ktgrok said:

Y'all, I'm going to die not from the virus, but from my brain exploding. 

Bishop of Central Florida has a new post on Facebook and his blog. http://www.cfdiocese.org/bishopsblog/leading-like-christians-in-a-climate-of-fear/?fbclid=IwAR3oIpc4ckY6P008k40aB4PTere6tpFmQq0Fr2KG4x4Ph_0YNAz3TkstoxY

He asked for responses, so this is my comment on Facebook:

Social distancing and staying home from church is NOT about self protection! It is about protecting our brothers and sisters in Christ, about loving our neighbor the best way we can, and about protecting the "least of these" by not contributing to the spread of the virus. I am not at all at high risk, but I know that the more young, healthy people get together the more chances of spreading the virus in the community and the more chances those at high risk will be exposed and potentially lose their lives. To insinuate that staying home is selfish or even sinful, rather than a true sacrifice of Christian love is to miss the point. Attending group activities, even those in the churches, is not an act of fearlessness but an act of selfishness - one that risks the lives of the "least of these" we are supposed to care about.

Your reaction seems legitimate.  This is bullsh*t.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Patty Joanna said:

We were thinking of having a sign up to attend -- up to 40 people -- but the priest and the bishop determined this was unseemly and unfair to those with less technological aptitude, availability.  At any rate, within a day, the archbishop closed the diocese.  The priest is to consume the presanctified gifts prepared for this week, and then we are closed for 2 weeks.  

We are soooo close to the bone re: priests--if one goes down, there is truly no one else to stand in his place.  The supply priests in our area are already "taken" completely through the summer--even among jurisdictions.  At some point, we have to protect our clergy as much as anyone else.  If our priest got COVID 19, we would be down for at least 2 months...and that doesn't even take into account the personal suffering of him and his family.  

The uncertainty of all of this is really what is most upsetting.  If we all knew that "this will all be done in a month" we could deal with it so much better.  But we don't know.  

The two priests at my son's parish (Antiochian) were both exposed and have self-quarantined.  My son said they have a guest priest coming this weekend - but they are also told to hold services with a skeleton crew - priest, deacon, 1 altar server and one chanter. 

Our Matushka is less than a year out from her cancer dx and treatment. 

7 minutes ago, Happymomof1 said:

Our church youth group is doing some kind of activity on Zoom tonight. I'll have to see how it goes.  Sounds fun, though! 

Our parish did a virtual coffee hour this past Sunday on Zoom.   Our lady's prayer group did zoom prayer meeting on Tues morning.  It was a nice way to see each other and pray together. 

Here is a video message from our pastor that our church sent tonight. The first part was about "practical" concerns, it picks up with a message of encouragement at 2.56. I know most on this thread are Catholic or Orthodox or Episcopal, but maybe this word from a Presbyterian preacher could be used by God to strengthen and help someone tonight. 

Grace and peace