Menu

Okay who is pregnant? (updated in second page)

moonflower

First ultrasound today, both to determine dates as my LMP was a guess and I'm still nursing anyway, and because I haven't felt pregnant at all - no symptoms, nada - and I was nervous after last time.  I was about 75% convinced there would be no baby, or no heartbeat, or something terrible, I don't know.  

But all is well 🙂  10 weeks 1 day today (so my dates were a bit off, which is good to know for induction purposes at the end) and it's a tiny squirmy baby in there with a heartbeat and everything.  No word on girl or boy but I feel pretty strongly it will be a boy and I think out of 7 I've only been wrong once if that.  We are thinking Theodore.  

I have to say it's amazing what you take for granted - the 10 weekish scan, when I had one before, was always just sort of ho-hum.  Can't see much, and I was always so sure there was a living baby in there, so no big deal.  But this time, just seeing the little heart beating, before the tech even said anything - it was wonderful.  and I am feeling pretty grateful.

• Like 11

Well, I celebrated too soon.  I am A+ and my husband is O-, but my antibody screening was positive.  I'm going in tomorrow to have more blood drawn for a more comprehensive test to see what the antibodies are for, exactly (and it might be nothing).

But, I was transfused 4 months ago in an emergency situation with non-crossmatched blood (2 units of O-).  Too much googling has frightened me.  It could be nothing, a fluke.  It could be not a severe reaction and easily treatable or not need treatment.  It could be more serious.

Being pregnant is not for the faint of heart, and to be honest I'm kind of faint of heart about these kinds of things.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, moonflower said:

Well, I celebrated too soon.  I am A+ and my husband is O-, but my antibody screening was positive.  I'm going in tomorrow to have more blood drawn for a more comprehensive test to see what the antibodies are for, exactly (and it might be nothing).

But, I was transfused 4 months ago in an emergency situation with non-crossmatched blood (2 units of O-).  Too much googling has frightened me.  It could be nothing, a fluke.  It could be not a severe reaction and easily treatable or not need treatment.  It could be more serious.

Being pregnant is not for the faint of heart, and to be honest I'm kind of faint of heart about these kinds of things.

I looked up “antibody screening,” which led to “Hemolytic disease of the newborn,” which I think was the most confusing Wikipedia article I’ve ever tried to read...  Good luck with your testing tomorrow.  I hope they can give you meaningful answers quickly.  You are so right, pregnancy is not for the faint of heart!  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, moonflower said:

Sending prayers.........

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, moonflower said:

It was nothing to worry about!  It wasn't even as bad as what I had thought was the best case scenario. 

(20+ solid hours of googling and freaking out later)

I'm so glad!

Also, jealous! I was at Cubscouts last night and there was a little baby, maybe 3-4 months, and she was just so squishy looking it was KILLING ME! I could feel my ovaries ramping up, lol. I would have sworn I was fine being done, but man...you see that and remember why you do it. If I wasn't 43 years old I'm sure I'd be bugging DH for another one!. 

• Like 1

I'm almost 18 weeks and still don't have a damn doctor, but today I should find out if my best lead will accept me as a patient. Thankfully I have had all the blood work done and never really cared about the early ultrasound.

This whole ordeal has just solidified my decision to get a tubal ligation and have dh get a vasectomy. I've been very much opposed to permanent sterilization but this is all too stressful to go through again. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

I'm almost 18 weeks and still don't have a damn doctor, but today I should find out if my best lead will accept me as a patient. Thankfully I have had all the blood work done and never really cared about the early ultrasound.

This whole ordeal has just solidified my decision to get a tubal ligation and have dh get a vasectomy. I've been very much opposed to permanent sterilization but this is all too stressful to go through again. 

Do you live in rural area? From what I understand there is a terrible need for quality medical care in rural areas.   How frustrating.  I'm sorry it has been so hard to find a good doctor.  Hope this lead works out

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, PrincessMommy said:

Do you live in rural area? From what I understand there is a terrible need for quality medical care in rural areas.   How frustrating.  I'm sorry it has been so hard to find a good doctor.  Hope this lead works out

Yes I do but that isn't the issue because Baltimore is an hour away so I've been looking for Dr there. The first I saw dropped me because I'm too high risk. She then referred me to a Dr that doesn't accept my insurance. Multiple other Dr aren't taking new patients and the ones that do either won't take me or I'm still jumping through hoops to figure out if they will take me. It is ridiculous.

• Sad 2

ugh, that sounds stressful.  I had a very mildly similar thing happen with my last pregnancy, where I found an ob-gyn and had a first appt. (a month in the future, of course), and everything, but when my records were forwarded they called and cancelled, saying I was too high risk.

I'd had gestational diabetes with my previous pregnancy, but it was well controlled with diet and presented exactly zero problems.

I can't believe you can't find someone in Baltimore, here's hoping your current best lead takes you.  

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

Do you have Kaiser or some other stinker of a plan?

My advice, and I’ve done this before, is call them and say “what MFM/perinatologist” is in network for us?  If they cannot find one within a 75-ish mile radius, you should be able to appeal for coverage under an out of network doctor in lieu of in network, due to medical necessity and accessibility.

It’s a pain, but you just have to go up the chain, generally.

The bolded is my next step.  I have state insurance and my provider is Aetna which normally shouldn't be an issue but apparently it is a new provider this year so very few places accept it.  Had I known that I would have chosen a different provider.  I am still in the window to change providers so I've been calling dr that take other providers and will switch once someone actually accepts me as a patient.  It is all really stupid and frustrating.  

50 minutes ago, moonflower said:

I can't believe you can't find someone in Baltimore, here's hoping your current best lead takes you.  

Well I still have a LONG list of places to call if this one doesn't pan out.  I also have the issue that I need a hospital with a high level NICU because of my experience with my youngest needing to be there.  The practice I'm currently waiting for a call from is associated with the University of Maryland Medical Center so even if they can't take me they should be helpful finding me a dr in their system that can.

• Like 2

Other than providers, how is everyone  doing?

I am 36.5w, baby is head down, we're both healthy, so all good.

Except I'm so exhausted I can barely function. I just want naps, all the time, but not exactly possible. I can't wait to meet this little guy and not be preggo anymore. 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

I have to pee in a bottle over the course of 24 hours so the lab can test me for too much protein. I've been having visual disturbances and a mild but persistent headache, so there's some concern about preeclampsia even though I have normal/borderline low blood pressure. I admit, I don't fully understand all of it, but I'm doing what I'm told. I'm only 28 weeks, so I'm just trying to not freak out unnecessarily. My doc also told me it's imperative that I reduce stress as much as possible. With 4 kids under ten, three of whom are students this year and one of whom is a toddler, and working part time, I just kind of goggled at her. But I am giving myself permission to lay on the couch and hang out here more often, so that's reducing stress, right? 🤣🤣🤣

please take care of yourself.  When I was pregnant and had hyper-emesis I spent weeks on the couch.  Kids turned out fine...and they're all gainfully employed.  It will be okay if they miss some time from school.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

I have to pee in a bottle over the course of 24 hours so the lab can test me for too much protein. I've been having visual disturbances and a mild but persistent headache, so there's some concern about preeclampsia even though I have normal/borderline low blood pressure. I admit, I don't fully understand all of it, but I'm doing what I'm told. I'm only 28 weeks, so I'm just trying to not freak out unnecessarily. My doc also told me it's imperative that I reduce stress as much as possible. With 4 kids under ten, three of whom are students this year and one of whom is a toddler, and working part time, I just kind of goggled at her. But I am giving myself permission to lay on the couch and hang out here more often, so that's reducing stress, right? 🤣🤣🤣

I got this same lecture when I had pre-eclampsia with my first; I was still in college and the last few weeks of pregnancy were the last few weeks of finals, writing papers, etc.  I gave my midwife the same look-  like, are you kidding?  Sure, I'll write all of my term papers from the couch. (which I did).  But it didn't exactly reduce stress.

agreeing with ArcticMama that 28 weeks is not as early as it used to be, and 30 weeks definitely isn't.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

Hugs, @ThatBookwormMom, and thank you, @Arctic Mama, for the tag. I'm sorry I just now saw this; I don't get here as often as I used to, mainly because all my spare time goes to modding said Facebook group. 🤣 But yes, shoot me a PM, and I will hook you up. 

Reducing stress is great in general, but rest and reducing stress will not prevent, stop, reverse, or slow preeclampsia or gestational hypertension. They are completely out of your hands because they are caused by a conflict between mom and the placenta. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

Adopting?  EXCITING!  Is this a we-want-babies situation or something that is involving an older child?

It is kind of an older child, age 2.  The situation came up and we have said yes.  It is not a done deal yet, but the paperwork has been filed naming us as the adoptive parents, so unless we fail the background check, or something very unexpected comes up, we are adopting another child.

We are old enough to be his grandparents.  But we feel this is what we need to do.  I am willing to share more in PMs. but don't want all the details on a public message board until the adoption is final.

• Like 4

I just wanted to update this thread and also check in on everyone.  I've been off the forums for the last few months.

I lost the baby at 22 weeks.  No conclusive idea of what happened; my tests all came back normal and we opted not to have an autopsy for the baby.  We've had two miscarriages in a row (11-12 weeks and 22 weeks) and while we plan to try again, it's our last try if it doesn't work out again; I don't think either of us can go through this again.  It's been hard.

How are your pregnancies going?  Arcticmama, I saw your thread earlier today and am hoping for the best for you; we were pretty close in dates and I just really want the very best outcome for your baby 🙂

• Sad 24

1 minute ago, moonflower said:

I just wanted to update this thread and also check in on everyone.  I've been off the forums for the last few months.

I lost the baby at 22 weeks.  No conclusive idea of what happened; my tests all came back normal and we opted not to have an autopsy for the baby.  We've had two miscarriages in a row (11-12 weeks and 22 weeks) and while we plan to try again, it's our last try if it doesn't work out again; I don't think either of us can go through this again.  It's been hard.

How are your pregnancies going?  Arcticmama, I saw your thread earlier today and am hoping for the best for you; we were pretty close in dates and I just really want the very best outcome for your baby 🙂

I am so sorry.  😞

• Like 1

Hugs @moonflower I'm sorry for you loss.

I'm currently 31 weeks. My blood pressure has been mostly under control since starting medicine for it. But the doctors are still convinced that I will develop preeclampsia because of previous pregnancies. Thankfully it crops up late in pregnancy so with lots of monitoring things have been fine.

Today one of the docs decided he wanted to change my estimated due date back to where it originally was according to my last period instead of what the first ultrasound put it at. That would put me at almost 33 weeks. I'm fine with that since I didn't think they should have changed it in the first place. So, that means we're looking at a csection around Valentine's day

• Like 6

(((Moon))) so sorry!

My second dd is due with her second dc today. She had placenta previa and preeclampsia with her first and delivered at 35 weeks by c-section so she is attempting a VBAC this time. She has had contractions ten minutes apart for more then 24 hours now. They are increasing slightly in intensity so it might be early labor. We are hoping so because they have already put the baby at over ten pounds and her BP is high normal right now. They are seeing her twice a week with U/S and aren't giving her much longer to attempt a vaginal delivery.

• Like 1

ThatBookwormmom, he is adorable!  the chubby little cheeks and soft eyebrows.  I found induction to be harder for labor too, but I'm glad he arrived safely 🙂  I'm sorry about your mom; I'm glad he arrived in time to be a comfort to you.  When my dad got sick and died (many years ago) I had a 6 month old baby and she was a ray of light in that time.

Kidshappen, good luck to your DD and her baby 🙂  I am also hoping it is early labor and that she can have a vaginal delivery this time (and soon!)

@moonflower = so very sorry about the loss of your little one.  hugs. 

@ThatBookwormMom - congrats on that sweet little boy.  And sorry about your mom too.  Was she able to meet Malachi? 

@KidsHappen - keep us updated.  I pray for a healthy baby and mama no matter how the birth happens.

My daughter had her baby on 20th - nearly 10days early.  That's normal for her.  I was there helping with labor but missed the birth thanks to them sending me out of the room for her epidural.  It was her 3rd VBAC - and we were all just happy she made it to the hospital on time (2 other VBACs were accidentally at home).   But baby Theodore is adorable and everyone is settling in nicely. 

Edited by PrincessMommy
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

I'm so sorry, moonflower. Praying for you and yours as you grieve.

I had my baby on December 10. I was induced, and it was a hard labor, but our son was born healthy at 9 lbs 13 oz and 22 inches long. I'll put a pic at the end of my post. His name is Malachi Stephen, and he's been a blessing and a delight.

Five days after his birth, my mother died of leukemia. Having him has helped a lot with this time.

IMG_066111.jpg

I didn’t know whether to do a crying face or a happy face. Your child is gorgeous and I am so sorry for the loss of your mom.