Menu

Do you have a dog?

If so, what do you have, how much house/yard do you have and does/will your dog get along with cats?

We're dog hunting. I've poured over the newspaper ads, I've been to the pound and have checked local rescues. Can't really find just the right dog. I'm going into St. Louis tomorrow to see a few I found on their pound website.

I hope we find something suitable! I've done about 12 million of those "find the right dog" quizzes and every one recommends something different! We're going to look at a Cairn Terrier, and a few beagle mixes.

If so, what do you have, how much house/yard do you have and does/will your dog get along with cats?

We're dog hunting. I've poured over the newspaper ads, I've been to the pound and have checked local rescues. Can't really find just the right dog. I'm going into St. Louis tomorrow to see a few I found on their pound website.

I hope we find something suitable! I've done about 12 million of those "find the right dog" quizzes and every one recommends something different! We're going to look at a Cairn Terrier, and a few beagle mixes.

I have an obnoxious dog, an eskimo spitz. He and our cat get along great, but as far as dog's go he's spastic.

Terriers can be really bad with cats...even cats they live with for year...can turn into ...well...dead. It's part of their "breed." I don't know how old your kids are, but that's something to think about with the size of your dog. Our kids are nice, but a small dog would probably be a problem. From the fact that they nip more and our dog gets tripped over.... BUT, we just love him!

Two border collies, one ACD. Ranch to run on. They all get along with our five family cats, but will kill the barn cats if they can catch them. In order to convince them not to kill a particular cat said cat has to live with us in the house for about a month, with me threatening the dog's lives everytime they look at the cat. After that time, the dogs come to regard the cat as "mom's, therefore off limits".

We have an Australian Shepherd and she is great; gets along really well the cats and other animals. Her favorite job is herding the chickens! I would be careful with Aussies, though-- research breeders. A good Aussie is energetic, NOT hyper. And they do need a job of some kind. Ours is happy keeping watch over her "flocks" (either the chickens or her humans ;)) but they are not happy being sedentary. Good luck with your search!

We're looking for a dog too--maybe for spring. But I have pet allergies:thumbdown:. So we're hoping to find one that is least offensive. I'm looking at maltese, cavachon, boston terrier. I happen to really like the idea of a Jack Russell or an English or French bulldog. But I don't think these would be good for the allergies.

Anybody have experience with those breeds?

Two border collies. We have two cats. The dogs want to be friends, but the cats hate them.

We had a fantastic breeder who socialized the dogs well. They love everyone else's cats and they love ours, but our cats are just finicky, I guess.

BCs need tons of exercise and tons of room to run.

They are herding dogs and will herd young kids, so that is an issue. They also want to herd bike tires, cars, etc, so they require a ton of training. But, they train easily.

They are smart, smart dogs and I love them to pieces.

A terrier is really taking a chance when you have cats, I've seen ones brought up with cats who can't handle it. They can't help it - it's instinct.

Beagles generally have nice, genial personalities but are often very vocal (read: noisy).

The best kind of shelters to look for are virtual shelters, where the dogs are fostered in people's houses. These foster families can really tell you about the dog, and can assess whether it would be a good situation for the dog. Dogs in a shelter in a cage - well, you really have no idea how they will behave in a house, with other animals, with children. A shelter is so different from a home, that the way an animal behaves in one won't necessarily carry over into another.

We have a French Bulldog, 2 cats, and a small yard. Napoleon gets along with the cats, in fact he is best buddies with one of them. (They lay on the rug in the classroom together while we do school:D) I have had other breeds but I love Frenchies. He is just active enough- he enjoys running around with the kids, but he can be a lap-dog when your ready to take a break. They do have issues with *gas*:glare: but he's not the only male in our family with this issue! You may be able to find a Frenchie through a French Bulldog Rescue. Napoleon actually came from a breeder in St. Louis.

Good luck with your search!

Ive got a Basset hound wanna be. His father was the hound, his mother was a German short-hair pointer. He came home as a puppy and the cats tolerate him. The biggest problem with the Basset is his tendency to get a scent and be gone. He does come back, but when he is ready instead of when he is called.

The new puppy is a husky/lab/shepard mix. The cats ignore her since she is so little.

I'm a big fan of mutt dogs. I'd rather have a mix than a pure-breed any day.

I've got a friend that can only have a poodle because of her dh's allergies. Apparently the poodle is the least offensive breed for allergies.

We have a three year old bernese mountain dog . . . she's our second berner. Lovely dog. Sweet temperment. Large. Blows out her coat twice a year.

Golden retriever mutt (probably mixed with sheperd predominantly golden). Very lovely dog. We adopted her when she was 5 yrs old. She's 14 now. She's a perfect mix of lovely companion and guard dog.

Then there's our little foundling, our new lap dog we rescued from a parking lot. She's great but I don't know what she is and we've only had her a month but for a lap dog she's extremely quite (not what I expected from a small dog).

We've had three basset hounds in the past and I love bassets but they're not for everybody. They're kind of special needs . . . very stubborn, like attention, love food, sometimes drool . . .

All our other dogs have been older and have really worked out well. I don't know if this is factual or just anecdotal but in our experience our mutts have been healthier than the pure breds. Our 14 yr old has only been to the vet twice in her life for health problems . . . once for a hot spot I could have treated myself and once last year when my son made me take her to check her "funny breathing" . . . the result of that visit, other than $50 spent, was a "she's very healthy for her age" from the vet.

Our pure breds on the other hand have cost us a lot of money.

My kids really want another basset hound and my hounds were my babies. I have very fond memories of them.

We have 4 dogs and 3 cats in the house. We have a Boston Terrier, Cairn Terrier, Lab, and a Boston Terrier/French Bulldog puppy.

The only dog that cares anything about the cats is the Cairn Terrier. He's a very strange little dog. He wrestles with one of our cats. He'll chase him through the house, then a little while later the cat will be chasing him. He has never attacked any of our cats, but he doesn't like our 3 outside cats. He will bark and growl at them through the window. We also have guinea pigs, he acts like he would like to eat them!

Cairn Terriers have a strong drive to hunt and they are diggers. You can't just leave them in a yard, they will dig out. He is a very smart dog and very playful. He also has lots of energy!

Just thought I would speak up about my Cairn Terrier!

We have chihuahuas. We used to be big dog people, but somehow we morphed into owning these two little things. I have to say, I LOVE these dogs. They're really relaxed, happy to lay around all day. They're good with my kids, I think in large part because we've had them since puppyhood. You wouldn't think, but they are super low maintenance dogs. Almost like having cats, but not quite. We had to leave ours with a foster mom for a few months, both of them got along famously with their cats. They play, sleep, play sleep. Other than when they were little puppies, they don't chew on anything. The house breaking has gone great with one. The other one has to have an eye kept on her.

Happy puppy hunting!

I'm a big fan of mutt dogs. I'd rather have a mix than a pure-breed any day.

I've got a friend that can only have a poodle because of her dh's allergies. Apparently the poodle is the least offensive breed for allergies.

I absolutely agree. Our dog now is a boxer/pointer mix and he is the greatest animal ever. He's almost 13 and is the most calm, well behaved, easy going animal I've ever been around. I got him at the SPCA. I was intending to get a black lab puppy. That's what I had growing up, and I do love them, but when I got down there there was a huge cage of lab mix puppies all jumping around, barking, yowling, chewing like crazy. My dog was sitting in the middle of this mess as calm as could be. I knew immediately that he belonged to me.

I have a rough collie, weight 95 lbs., male, beautiful (looks like Lassie), gets along with any animal without ever hurting them - tested with animals ranging in size from shrews to bears.

1/3 acre yard, 2700 sf house, fenced-in back yard.

Barks a lot, warning us of birds in the yard, the oil man, the guy next door coming home, etc. Friendly. Watch dog, not guard dog. Will not protect you from frogs or mice. Untested against criminals. All children love him, no matter how tiny they are.

Brilliant in the brain department. Easy to train. Good trainer of humans, too. Nippy puppy -- used clove oil to dissuade him. Has a great sense of humor. Will bark at owner when it is time for owner to do a regularly scheduled activity -- like take the kids to school or pick them up.

Tail wags and clears off coffee table. Can reach anything on the dining room table with a mere stretch of his neck, which is ostrich-like if the food there is especially enticing. Can move a plate or bowl from the table to the floor without spilling anything, so it may be possible to train this breed to do chores. Can reach anything on the counters, but this requires jumping up, which is no trouble at all.

7th hairiest dog breed. Professional grooming is not required, but sure is a plus, and costs us $75-$100/month. Daily grooming is a good idea, but it usually takes longer than one session to get through the entire dog one time. Helpful if the dog cooperates, which ours does not.

Edited by RoughCollie

Our dogs are genetic experiments. We think they're Dachshund/Golden Retriever mixes. (Think long spine, short knobby legs, big brown eyes, short fur, but "furnishings" on the legs and tail. ;-)

They were litter mates, but they're as different as they can be. The female is territorial, skittish and hard-headed. The male is more friendly, clueless, and easy-going. She will NOT do tricks, even for food. He will do ANYTHING for food. He knows how to "high five," "dance," and sit, etc. When you try to teach her to do a trick, she just looks at you. I think she's part cat! ;-)

Lisa

We have a Jack Russell terrier. She's almost 5 years old. We just got a cat last spring and they love to play and tend to be really good friends. We had another cat before and the dog didn't care about it at all, wasn't bad with it, just didn't take notice. We have a 2400 sq ft house. And 3 acres, but this little dog doesn't need much area at all. She's very yappy and barks at all who walk past our house and is naughty about not listening always, but she's part of our family now and we all love her!

We have a Bichon Frise. She may be on your list as she is non-shedding. I have seen quite a few listed on Petfinder. I love her to pieces but if I were to do it again I would not have gotten her until my kids were older. She does bark and go nuts when someone comes to the door and I really dislike that. But she is sweet, my oldest ds loves her to pieces and she sleeps with him every night.

They don't need a lot of excercise. She runs around the yard and has a crazy love for playing soccer.

We have an English Shepherd, which can be thought of as an Aussie with an on/off switch ;). His sire was a working ranch dog, but our dog lives happily in a townhouse without a fenced yard. His excercise is limited to dog parks, leashed walks and the occasional "escape" from ds, so if you're committed to walking your dog large yards aren't needed.

However this breed is like border collies and Aussies. They need a job. It's also not recommended for inexperienced owners. ES's tend to be very bossy and will rule the roost if the owner doesn't take charge. We don't have a cat, but many ES owners do.

We have a lab/beagle mix adopted from the Humane Society. We have a 3 story house and a (recently) fenced back yard, not an extraordinary size. She likes cats, but our cat doesn't like her (she's 9, he's 17, and he will STILL jump on her face every single time she tries to approach him... and she always acts surprised). She gets along with other animals, and is great with young children (has always been). Essentially, our dream dog.

If you can find a rescue dog that's been fostered, rather than kept at the shelter, I think that makes a difference in how they interact in multi-pet, family situations. Well, some dogs are delightful no matter what, some dogs not so much. But I think the continued normal household interactions of being fostered helps.

She has always been around cats from the time we got her at 8 months old.She tolerates 1 of the cats eating out of her dish but can be snappy if any of the others try.Most of the cats are smart enough to stay away from her food dish when there is something in it.She ignores the cats when she is outside.Most of the time the cats and the dog don't associate with each other.The dog has her space and the cats have theirs.My dog is old and arthritic and doesn't want to run much anymore though we have 32 acres.

Guest janainaz

I've got a Shih-Poo, she's a Shih-tzu/Poodle mix. She's a great dog. She does not shed and has a great temperment. She gets along really well with our cat and is so much fun and is great with kids. My only complaint is that she likes to chew, not on shoes or furniture or anything like that, but little toys - so they need chew toys. Other than that, I would highly recommend that breed. We have a decent sized yard, but we live in Arizona, so she's an indoor dog. Not sure how easy it would be to find one at a pound or adoption center. I'll attach a photo of her on my profile page if you want to see what they look like. Good luck, though!

We have 2 schnauzers. They are 'vocal' ;), need to be groomed, don't shed, and don't require a huge yard. They aren't good outside dogs because they have skin allergies. If they ever catch one of the cats around here, I think they'll sacrifice their noses just to kill the feline. If these 2 get out of the house, they will run for days and may never return. Since they were our first dogs, they are very protective and don't get along with just any ol' stray that happens along.

This summer we adopted a labradoodle. He is absolutely wonderful! He is smart, doesn't shed, doesn't bark, doesn't chase cats (because he's petrified of them), and is just a good dog. He stays in the yard, but he does need lots of exercise. He gets along with all the other dogs out here.

We are fostering a schnoodle and a weimeriener (sp?!). The schnoodle is loving, obedient, doesn't shed, and is very much like our labradoodle. The other is high maintenance, needs lots of outside/running time, sheds enough to make ghost turds on the floor, smells like a dog, and barks like a crazy dog. She's like a dalmation on steroids. And strong...oh, boy, I can't even take her for a walk because she'll pull me down. We run her with a golf cart about a mile and that just about wears her out for a day.

Since the doodles and schnauzers don't have fur, they don't smell like dogs, ya know? They get dirty and need baths, but when you walk into our house, you don't know dogs live here. Well, until the weimereiner moved in. She stinks without baths.

I've got a Shih-Poo, she's a Shih-tzu/Poodle mix. She's a great dog. She does not shed and has a great temperment. She gets along really well with our cat and is so much fun and is great with kids. My only complaint is that she likes to chew, not on shoes or furniture or anything like that, but little toys - so they need chew toys. Other than that, I would highly recommend that breed. We have a decent sized yard, but we live in Arizona, so she's an indoor dog. Not sure how easy it would be to find one at a pound or adoption center. I'll attach a photo of her on my profile page if you want to see what they look like. Good luck, though!

And you can dress them up cute! :lol:

She looks adorable! Do you groom her or take her to someone?

I have a rough collie, weight 95 lbs., male, beautiful (looks like Lassie), gets along with any animal without ever hurting them - tested with animals ranging in size from shrews to bears.

1/3 acre yard, 2700 sf house, fenced-in back yard.

Barks a lot, warning us of birds in the yard, the oil man, the guy next door coming home, etc. Friendly. Watch dog, not guard dog. Will not protect you from frogs or mice. Untested against criminals. All children love him, no matter how tiny they are.

Brilliant in the brain department. Easy to train. Good trainer of humans, too. Nippy puppy -- used clove oil to dissuade him. Has a great sense of humor. Will bark at owner when it is time for owner to do a regularly scheduled activity -- like take the kids to school or pick them up.

Tail wags and clears off coffee table. Can reach anything on the dining room table with a mere stretch of his neck, which is ostrich-like if the food there is especially enticing. Can move a plate or bowl from the table to the floor without spilling anything, so it may be possible to train this breed to do chores. Can reach anything on the counters, but this requires jumping up, which is no trouble at all.

7th hairiest dog breed. Professional grooming is not required, but sure is a plus, and costs us $75-$100/month. Daily grooming is a good idea, but it usually takes longer than one session to get through the entire dog one time. Helpful if the dog cooperates, which ours does not.

We used to have a male, rough collie as well. I had to laugh at your very true assessment of the breed!

Our collie herded our kids and our cats all the time. He loved to bark at anything that moved and loved to chase deer. Our neighbors were not amused by his barking and even called the cops on us once. :001_huh:

He was a big chicken and terribly afraid of thunderstorms. His teeth would chatter in his head when we'd have thunder.

Now we have a mutt from the shelter. He is a mis of husky, German shepherd, and greyhound. Let's just say, he likes to run and pull and play in the snow! He is a hoot. Just like our other dog, he is good with the cats. We have three felines. Two of them are de-clawed (Not our doing. They were also shelter pets) and he still gives them the upper hand. In fact, one of the cats and he are best buds.

Both of our dogs have been smart and a bit territorial when it comes to other dogs, but not a problem at all with the kids or the cats. The collie was more aggressive toward other dogs on our property, our present dog is aggressive in a fun way. He just wants everyone to play with him.

They were both easy to train, but the mutt is a bit more strong willed and willfully disobedient at times. The collie had a more trainable temperament.

We have 2 three-year-old labs, a yellow male and a black female. Our black one weighs around 60 pounds and our yellow one weighs well over 100 pounds.

They've VERY energetic, and chew like crazy when they're puppies! They get along great with our cat, though, so no problems there and they LOVE the children!

We live in a rural area, on 3 acres of land, and have 1/2 an acre of it fenced, and that's where they hang out. The black one hops the fence every once in awhile, but she doesn't stray very far. The yellow one could jump the fence; he just has never figured out how. Which is good! If he gets out of the fence, he takes off and doesn't come back for several hours. :glare:

Guest janainaz
And you can dress them up cute! :lol:

She looks adorable! Do you groom her or take her to someone?

Ummmm, embarassingly, I don't take her (it costs so much!). I give her a bath twice a month, or more if necessary and trim her beard - lol! I trim around her eyes and clean her up!

Yes, we dress her up in baby clothes (it's what I do when I'm bored). She will just lay there with my boys. I have never had a dog that I love so much, but she's top notch cute!

Edited by janainaz

We have a Shih Tzu/poodle mix. She is amazing with the kids. We have 4 cats and I usually find some combination of cats and dog in my bed at night in a big furball.

We're thinking of getting an Australian cattle dog.

We don't have a fenced in yard but our current dog doesn't wander farther than I can find her on the beach ever.

She's about 17 pounds which is perfect for baths and picking up to put into bed. :)

A 13 week old pembroke welsh corgi. He is so cute! He is in his crate resting right now, and one of our cats is right outside, staring at him.

We have three cats. Two are curious but a bit apprehensive of the puppy. The third cat is still hiding somewhere in our bedroom!

Michelle T

I have an obnoxious dog, an eskimo spitz. He and our cat get along great, but as far as dog's go he's spastic.

I have 2 of these critters. They are great with kids. But...um, I would describe this breed as a Border Collie on Uppers.

Mine are 10 & 9, and are just now starting to not act like puppies.

We have a one-year-old black, furry, cockapoo. He is more poodle than cocker. We needed a poodle mix because my husband is allergic to dogs. So far, he has not had a reaction. Our previous dog was a lab who shedded all the time and my husband couldn't even be in the same room with her withoug sneezing.

He is extremely cute, sweet, and lovable. But he also likes to bark, chew, and jump and I'm having a heck of a time trying to train him. He's very excitable and gets distracted easily.

We have a fairly large yard but our dog only goes out long enough to do his business and comes right back in unless we stay outside with him.

Make sure you call the pound before driving in to make sure they still have the dog you want. I'm right outside of St. Louis to the west and I had a very difficult time finding a dog last year. The ones I found on Petfinder in the shelters were rarely there.

We have a miniature poodle we got from a poodle rescue. He got along with our cats but the one cat didn't like him. That cat was a foundling at 11 weeks and I think he had an early bad experience with a dog. Over the two years we have had our dog, the cat who doesn't like him has become more used to him. The poodle doesn't bark (except at doorbells which I appreciate since I don't always hear them but do hear him), doesn't dig, doesn't knock over trash cans, and of course, he doesn't shed. His minus points are he has bad allergies so he is always chewing his paws, he is afraid of things like thunderstorms and dsmoke alarm beepers telling you to change the battery. My cat is a the alpha male in the animal world and the dog acknowledges that so we don't have dog and cat fights. We have a small four bedroom house with Florida room and a small yard with a large pool. The poodle doesn't want to go into the pool.

We have a black pug. She does really well with small children and doesn't bark much. She has a face only a mother could love(wherever she is) and she's not the sharpest knife in the rack, but our dc adore her!

LOL:lol:

I have a fawn pug. Looks just like the one in the movie Men in Black. He's a true clown and such a cuddler. He adores our kids and when we visit my mom he has no trouble with the cat. As Rich with kids said, not everyone can see the beauty in them, and they aren't the sharpest tools in the shed, but they are fun!

I also have a Shar-pei/Lab mix. She's 11 years old and has been a wonderful dog. She loves the kids although she's getting a bit short tempered in her old age. She hasn't done anything to hurt them but doesn't stick around if they are running around the house, she'd rather go sleep in a quiet room. Shar pei's can be a bit short tempered so she's been wonderful all these years. It will be sad when she goes as she was a gift to keep me company when dh went on his first deployment and she truly has been a great comfort to me all these years.

We have 2 mini dauschunds- 1 is 13 and 1 is almost 3. AND we just got a purebread 5 month old golden retreiver last weekend. I have been on the hunt for a lab or golden for a few months and we couldn't pass her up!

A lab or golden are my top 2 dog recommendations for family dogs.

We have a two year old Jack/Rat mix. We have NO yard (live in the parsonage next to our church) but take him out for walks when he needs it. He was very easy to house train. He is crate trained, so he spends school hours in his crate, sleeping very soundly. Otherwise he's EVERYWHERE and into EVERYTHING. We also have three cats who pretty much ignore him. Now if only he'd ignore them.... He it's Beneful dog food and homemade dog food as well; frozen broccoli is his favorite treat!

We have a French Bulldog, 2 cats, and a small yard. Napoleon gets along with the cats, in fact he is best buddies with one of them. (They lay on the rug in the classroom together while we do school:D) I have had other breeds but I love Frenchies. He is just active enough- he enjoys running around with the kids, but he can be a lap-dog when your ready to take a break. They do have issues with *gas*:glare: but he's not the only male in our family with this issue! You may be able to find a Frenchie through a French Bulldog Rescue. Napoleon actually came from a breeder in St. Louis.

Good luck with your search!

Our Wrolf was used for breeding until he was 4 or 5 years old, then put out in the yard on a chain for the next 5 years. Amazingly, he has no character issues. I guess his original owner must have treated him well before becoming an abuser.:glare: He has very mild dominance issues which are easily corrected, especially with one of the cats, but we're working on it. He's snoring next to me even as we speak.:001_smile:

Another pug owner/lover. Mine's still a pup, but she's was trained at 12 wks by my dd to do a few commands as long as a treat is in hand. I thought she was smart, but I think she just loves her grub. LOL She is very loving and affectionate and loves the kids. Now if only she'd potty train...

Update:

We got the Cairn from the shelter. She's a total LOVE and gets along well with everyone. Two of the cats skedaddled at her entrance, one hung around, got all fluffy and is now observing her from the protection of the entertainment center. The dog seems to have zero interest in him or any of the other cats.

She did not potty in the car during the two hour drive. She pranced happily through Petco, selecting toys, a sweater and some booties for cold weather walking (pink plaid sweater, pink booties, bag of squeaky toys). We went to EX's to get the crate our beagle used and he gave us some of the dog food he uses on his corgi, which our dog seems to like just fine.

Tonight, after she goes potty for the last time, she's getting a bath. She smells like kennel. We changed her name from Flicka (who give a small dog a horse name??) to Lucy and she's already responding to it. She was spayed so her southern half has very short fur, and she looks rather silly! But, she'll grow it back soon enough.

I think she's going to work just fine!

Update:

We got the Cairn from the shelter. She's a total LOVE and gets along well with everyone. Two of the cats skedaddled at her entrance, one hung around, got all fluffy and is now observing her from the protection of the entertainment center. The dog seems to have zero interest in him or any of the other cats.

She did not potty in the car during the two hour drive. She pranced happily through Petco, selecting toys, a sweater and some booties for cold weather walking (pink plaid sweater, pink booties, bag of squeaky toys). We went to EX's to get the crate our beagle used and he gave us some of the dog food he uses on his corgi, which our dog seems to like just fine.

Tonight, after she goes potty for the last time, she's getting a bath. She smells like kennel. We changed her name from Flicka (who give a small dog a horse name??) to Lucy and she's already responding to it. She was spayed so her southern half has very short fur, and she looks rather silly! But, she'll grow it back soon enough.

I think she's going to work just fine!

Wonderful! I agree post a pic!

True Blue, love your baby pics.

I think I said below we would love to have puppy, but dont know how cats would react.

Well today brought out AG horse and cat freaked, poofed to the max, so much for dog.

I think my cats would've warmed up to an adult dog easier. They still look at our puppy with disdain, but she's learned not to get too close to them. She's so full of energy and wants to play with them, but they have sharp claws and well she knows it. :D