Menu

my house is too small!!!!!!

ktgrok

5 minutes ago, Sherry in OH said:

I wouldn't put a two-year old in that room but maybe one of the older children, providing the room can be shut off from the main living space.

Have you considered removing everything from the room except for the beds?  Empty the closet and remove the doors.  Place one of the beds with the headboard against the back wall of the closet.  Position the other beds in the room, then add back just what storage fits.  You may be able to fit shallow shelves on either side of the headboard in the closet, for example, and some wall shelving for photos and keepsakes.    I would find somewhere else in the house to store clothing (your closet?) and any toys that won't fit under the beds.

Getting rid of the Kallax shelving really doesn't solve much of the space issue. I was rearranging in there today without the shelving in there and it still was about the same. And I've already got the baby's dresser in my closet, plus DH and My stuff, plus stuff that DH is storing, all the wrapping paper, the yoga mats and hand weights, dog stuff, craft stuff, etc. 

26 minutes ago, Ktgrok said:

Honestly, part of me is wondering...what if I got rid of the small couch/loveseat in the playroom/schoolroom and put a daybed in there for DD2? Or a futon, or even a better pull out? But a daybed could have her own blankets or whatever on it, like the big kids, and her toys are in that room anyway, etc. Is that insane? This is a photo of that room (when it was just redecorated at the beginning of the year, and still looked nice, lol. We have a few more toys now and that slip cover didn't hold up at all) 

school room couch.jpg

Do you remember the name of the paint color (and brand) for the paint on the walls?  That’s the color I think I might want for my kitchen...

11 minutes ago, Ktgrok said:

Hmm...sort of. It has a half wall that it shares with the kitchen, and then an entryway to the living room/dining room. It would work for at night for DD2, as she falls asleep on me most nights, while I'm on the couch, and then is out cold so us watching TV in the next room wouldn't bother her. I am not sure if DS6 would be able to fall asleep out there though, given the tv noise. Hmm. Maybe. He actually has a lot of anxiety falling asleep some night. I think this photo shows how they connect. 

IMG_5404.JPG

Those dog legs!!!! And that face!  Ahhh!  I wanna kiss it!

18 minutes ago, Garga said:

Do you remember the name of the paint color (and brand) for the paint on the walls?  That’s the color I think I might want for my kitchen...

Those dog legs!!!! And that face!  Ahhh!  I wanna kiss it!

I could check maybe, but that photo doesn't really show it properly. But I'll look.

And yes, he has the legs of a giraffe, lol. It's actually a whole other issue...those long legs mean he has a GIANT dog crate which currently resides in my dining area. Sigh. 

3 minutes ago, Ktgrok said:

I could check maybe, but that photo doesn't really show it properly. But I'll look.

And yes, he has the legs of a giraffe, lol. It's actually a whole other issue...those long legs mean he has a GIANT dog crate which currently resides in my dining area. Sigh. 

Well, if it’s not really a good representation of the color, don’t put yourself out to check.  🙂

(I still love those crazy legs!)

We have the Ikea Hemnes Daybed for my 4 year old. It has drawers so you could even put her clothes in there. I love it because on nights when DH is really snoring I am able to pull it out larger and throw the second mattress on it for myself.  My 4yo sleeps through anything thankfully.  That makes it as wide as a King size, just not as long.  Love it!

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30349329/

3 minutes ago, ksr5377 said:

We have the Ikea Hemnes Daybed for my 4 year old. It has drawers so you could even put her clothes in there. I love it because on nights when DH is really snoring I am able to pull it out larger and throw the second mattress on it for myself.  My 4yo sleeps through anything thankfully.  That makes it as wide as a King size, just not as long.  Love it!

Do you have the same mattresses that they show in the video?  Are they really uncomfortable? 

6 minutes ago, ksr5377 said:

hmm..man. I hate to spend the money on it..but...all our furniture in that playroom/schoolroom is Hemnes! The bookcases and my desk anyway, are all Hemnes. So it would match really well. I seem to remember it being pretty high though?

Edited by Ktgrok

When I had five kids in one bedroom, we got rid of the beds. They all had mats on the floor that we rolled up during the day. It worked out great because with the beds out of the way during the day, they had the whole room to play in. Ikea has a mattress that folds up and is designed to be used on the floor. 

Susan in TX

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Ktgrok said:

I just tried putting it sort of like that, and you end up with only 14-15 inches of clearance between the foot of the beds on the left and the side of the bed on the right. It's doable, but not sure it's any better. It means there is no real space at all. Also, that means very little space as you walk in as well. 

I did a later edit saying it may work better with the shelving as 2 across and 4 up but it probably wouldn't make a difference. And wouldn't give more useable floorspace, just slightly better access to the closet. Barring pulling the baby bed out from underneath one of the other beds, I think you've got the best set up. You mentioned you can't do this while holding the baby after she falls asleep. Could the older kids help pull it out before they go to bed?

1 hour ago, Ktgrok said:

Honestly, part of me is wondering...what if I got rid of the small couch/loveseat in the playroom/schoolroom and put a daybed in there for DD2? Or a futon, or even a better pull out? But a daybed could have her own blankets or whatever on it, like the big kids, and her toys are in that room anyway, etc. Is that insane? This is a photo of that room (when it was just redecorated at the beginning of the year, and still looked nice, lol. We have a few more toys now and that slip cover didn't hold up at all) 

I think this would work so long as the area is sufficiently quiet at night and you don't have wandering baby concerns. Otherwise I would put an older kid into this situation, or not at all. If you could find either a easy to put on/off bed tent or screen for better privacy/sleeping I think it would be acceptable until bunks are doable. But then you have the re-integration problem later if they are used to having their own "room" and don't want to share again. 

9 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Do you have the same mattresses that they show in the video?  Are they really uncomfortable? 

We have/had those and I actually liked them. Kids had them and were happy. Kids do not like their current standard spring mattresses in comparison. 

2 minutes ago, Moonhawk said:

I did a later edit saying it may work better with the shelving as 2 across and 4 up but it probably wouldn't make a difference. And wouldn't give more useable floorspace, just slightly better access to the closet. Barring pulling the baby bed out from underneath one of the other beds, I think you've got the best set up. You mentioned you can't do this while holding the baby after she falls asleep. Could the older kids help pull it out before they go to bed?

I think this would work so long as the area is sufficiently quiet at night and you don't have wandering baby concerns. Otherwise I would put an older kid into this situation, or not at all. If you could find either a easy to put on/off bed tent or screen for better privacy/sleeping I think it would be acceptable until bunks are doable. But then you have the re-integration problem later if they are used to having their own "room" and don't want to share again. 

We have/had those and I actually liked them. Kids had them and were happy. Kids do not like their current standard spring mattresses in comparison. 

Even with the two across it doesn't really work. 

The mattress under the bed was too hard for the older kids to pull out, other than DS19 and he isn't always here. 

I do think I probably have it as good as it is going to get for now, especially without spending a bunch more money. Also, DS6 is happy that his bed (the green one) is so close to DD9's bed now (the one missing the comforter, it was in the wash). He has anxiety so being close to her helps. 

I was able to get DD2 to lay down and nurse to sleep in her bed, so all three are asleep in there now. I'm considering going ahead and getting her the same bedtime as the others, with the end of her brother's bed right there I'm less worried about her falling out, plus she's older now. I would put the rug there just in case, and those bedframes are quite low. Having it be a real bed would be more comfortable for me when I'm in there, and solve the dirt on her bed problem.Although even that should be better as her bed used to be in a spot where they trampled it to get to the closet. They have no real need to get to the shelves so much better. 

2 hours ago, Terabith said:

I think it is ridiculous and selfish for your husband to essentially have the master suite to himself while you and three children are in one small bedroom.  The logical thing is to turn the master into a dormitory.  I think I'd over-rule dh on this.  

My master long ago became a children's bedroom; my three older boys are in there.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, happysmileylady said:

Oh, you know what just occured to me?

We have bunk bends for the girls, BUT we have a twin over a full.  Even if someone fell off the top bunk, they would fall right onto the full size, rather than on the floor.  We also have it stashed into the corner of the room, so the only end that would really present a "danger" is the ladder end.  That would be easy to stick some sort of safety surface there.  You could do something like that, put the girls on the bottom and the 6yr old on top.  You mentioned comfort level of all three of you in the double...I think you can even get a twin over a queen bunk.  They even have things that are like a twin over a queen futon, so that the lower one folds up during that day.  

There isn't room to have the queen or full on the bottom, and if it was folded up than we'd be back to the same issue. I also worry about neck injuries even falling on a bed - but that's probably because my oldest fractured two vertebrae just horsing around, so I'm more concerned/freaked out by neck/back injuries than the average person. 

18 minutes ago, Ktgrok said:

And in annoying news, it looks like Ikea discontinues that bedframe! I was going to get one for her so they all matched, plus they were only $40 when I got them before. Now the next closest price is nearly double that!

Oh no! We have that bedframe too (for double) and wanted to get it again in our new location (can't bring it with us). Sadness. 

Those stackable beds though are interesting though, they weren't available last I was there.

What about just get the Kura now and use it as a a lower bed until its ready to be turned upside down? Put an older kid into it so you can crawl into one of the other beds with her. 

I think I'm living vicariously through you. I've done all of the possible reorganizations of our living space over the past year and I have missed the jigsaw of it. 

NM...just read enough responses that mine wouldn't have made sense.

I wonder if there is a closet that the 2yo could use as a little bedroom? We have 5 boys in one room but one of them (15mo) has the sweetest little nursery that was a walk-in closet. The boys keep their clothes in tall IKEA cabinets since the closet is not available.

It's too bad the master bedroom wouldn't work for a children's room, OP. But if the desk doesn't fit that would not be good for your dh, I suppose.

We're in 1600 sqft w/13 of us (2 have left the nest) so I get having to come up with creative space!

Edited by BakersDozen

Just virtual hugs from me!

My 20yo (also ASD) has mostly lived with his father for the past few years, but he recently did 6 months here, sharing a room (about 10x12ish) with the 11yo and (at the time) 7yo.  Not ideal, but they managed.  I very much dislike having such a small house. But I’m not giving up my master bedroom, either. 😉 

10 hours ago, maize said:

1900 sq ft isn't small.

I've got 7 kids in less than that...

I think it is small for 7 people.  It is really a matter of opinion though.   

I just looked up the average home size in the USA and it is roughly 2,500 sq. ft.  It ranges from 2,100-2,700 on the several sites I looked at, but most said "around 2,500."

Edited by DawnM
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, maize said:

1900 sq ft isn't small.

I've got 7 kids in less than that...

26 minutes ago, DawnM said:

I just looked up the average home size in the USA and it is roughly 2,500 sq. ft.  It ranges from 2,100-2,700 on the several sites I looked at, but most said "around 2,500."

I have 7 people in 1100sf and would still consider 1900 small for 9 people.  But there are SO many variables (including personalities) that come into play. I spend a LOT of time in my bathroom! 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, DawnM said:

Small is relative. I’ve read people on here complaining that they need to upsize because their double my sf home is too small for their half my size family. I think her point was that one person’s small is another person’s spacious. Those of us living on low incomes or in high COL locations have learned to get by with less space. (But yes, I would absolutely love to have 2500sf)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sassenach said:

Small is relative. I’ve read people on here complaining that they need to upsize because their double my sf home is too small for their half my size family. I think her point was that one person’s small is another person’s spacious. Those of us living on low incomes or in high COL locations have learned to get by with less space. (But yes, I would absolutely love to have 2500sf)

Yes, as I said in my post,It is a matter of opinion.  When I lived in a high COL area, my house was less than half the size of the house I have now, but it was double the cost.  Although, I DID think it was small.  That was my opinion.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Carrie12345 said:

I have 7 people in 1100sf and would still consider 1900 small for 9 people.  But there are SO many variables (including personalities) that come into play. I spend a LOT of time in my bathroom! 🤣

Yup, all a matter of opinion.

We also knew a family of 4 who lived and grew up in a 650 sq. ft. house.  They survived.

1 minute ago, DawnM said:

Yes, as I said in my post,It is a matter of opinion.  When I lived in a high COL area, my house was less than half the size of the house I have now, but it was double the cost.  Although, I DID think it was small.  That was my opinion.

Our Ca house is 400sf smaller, wayyyy older and FIVE times what we paid for our FL house. But the weather is better, haha!

• Like 1

I think you should overrule dh and move the kids into the master, unless there's some other big reason he doesn't want to do the switch.   I also like the idea of turning the closet into a small bedroom for youngest, if it's big enough.  I also think you need to use the walls more.   There's a lot of wasted space.  Wall shelves might make it possible to get rid of the cubes (can the cubes be mounted on the wall?

We have 750 square feet with just two kids at the moment, we had 3 until oldest moved out.   Dd has the biggest bedroom since that's where oldest stayed when she did come home.  It's 9 x 12 and yes, that's the BIGGEST room.  My clothes are in there and it used to hold quite a few of our school and 4-H supplies before I opened a science center.  There are plastic drawer sets mounted to the wall above her bed and she can sit on the bed and reach to pull out a drawer and get clothes out.   No dresser.  I think there's a total of 12 drawers and the ones she doesn't need have some of my clothes in them.  She also has 4 or 5 shelf units in one corner that are 6 feet high.  These hold all her toys, knickknacks, memorabilia, etc.  I have some items stored on the top shelves.  

Ds is in the next smallest room (the only other original bedroom) 9 x 9.5.  He has a bed with drawers underneath, a 5 foot high bookcase on the end of his bed.  Dh's dresser is in there and dh uses that closet for his clothes.

Our room is about 2 feet wider than our king bed.  Dh basically built walls in the corner of our living room around the bed.  The bed touches the walls on three sides, the open side is where the door is.  On the end away from the door I have plastic drawer sets holding most of my clothes.   This room has no heat or AC and mostly uninsulated walls and huge non thermal windows.  We use a space heater and heated mattress pad in winter and fans in summer.  That's why I won't put either kid in there.  

Good luck.  Our house is a decorators nightmare but it's functional for us.

ETA:  One thing that works for us is we are ALL introverts.  We all just like to sit in our own spaces doing our own things.  It's probably hardest on me since I don't hangout in my bedroom (too cold/hot).  My kids would be miserable if they had to share a space. 

Edited by Where's Toto?

2 hours ago, DawnM said:

I've been researching as well, the only numbers I can find that approach 2500 as an average are for new homes constructed in the past few years, and even then that is the mean which is skewed by the small percentage of mansion size homes being built, the median (better measure of center here) is lower.

Also these numbers don't take into account the size of apartments, mobile homes, etc.

Since a majority of people in the country are not living in brand spanking new single family homes the mean size of new construction isn't a useful number for average home size.

Link below to a PDF based on data from the census bureau listing the average size of new homes over the years. The National Association of House Builders gives some useful information regarding age of homes:

• The median age of owner-occupied housing in the U.S. is steadily rising, coming in at 37 years old in 2015 compared to 31 years in 2005, according to a report by the National Association of Home Builders. The increase is primarily due to low levels of new residential construction activity in the last decade.

• More than half of that stock (53%) was built before 1980, with 38% built before 1970. Owner-occupied homes constructed after 2000 accounted for 19% of owner-occupied housing, with homes built after 2010 taking a 3% share in 2015.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.census.gov/const/C25Ann/sftotalmedavgsqft.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwiE5_a08qnhAhVDZawKHU25C78QFjAMegQIBBAB&usg=AOvVaw2y6QiBSGTG4_9KF1npNqcg&cshid=1553949899878

ETA

A median age home in 2015 would have been built in 1978, when the median size of new home construction was 1655 square feet.

Edited by maize

1 minute ago, maize said:

I've been researching as well, the only numbers I can find that approach 2500 as an average are for new homes constructed in the past few years, and even then that is the mean which is skewed by the small percentage of mansion size homes being built, the median (better measure of center here) is lower.

Also these numbers don't take into account the size of apartments, mobile homes, etc.

Since a majority of people in the country are not living in brand spanking new single family homes the mean size of new construction isn't a useful number for average home size.

Link below to a PDF based on data from the census bureau listing the average size of new homes over the years. The National Association of House Builders gives some useful information regarding age of homes:

• The median age of owner-occupied housing in the U.S. is steadily rising, coming in at 37 years old in 2015 compared to 31 years in 2005, according to a report by the National Association of Home Builders. The increase is primarily due to low levels of new residential construction activity in the last decade.

• More than half of that stock (53%) was built before 1980, with 38% built before 1970. Owner-occupied homes constructed after 2000 accounted for 19% of owner-occupied housing, with homes built after 2010 taking a 3% share in 2015.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.census.gov/const/C25Ann/sftotalmedavgsqft.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwiE5_a08qnhAhVDZawKHU25C78QFjAMegQIBBAB&usg=AOvVaw2y6QiBSGTG4_9KF1npNqcg&cshid=1553949899878

I don't have time to do a lot of research today and honestly, this isn't something I even care to argue over.  I just googled and about 8 websites popped up that said 2,500 is today's average. It is still MY OPINION that a 1900 sq. ft. house for 7 people is small.   It isn't yours.  It really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DawnM said:

I don't have time to do a lot of research today and honestly, this isn't something I even care to argue over.  I just googled and about 8 websites popped up that said 2,500 is today's average. It is still MY OPINION that a 1900 sq. ft. house for 7 people is small.   It isn't yours.  It really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.  

Certainly folks can have all kinds of opinions.

When statistics are brought in to back up those opinions it is useful to verify what the statistics actually mean 😉

1 minute ago, maize said:

Certainly folks can have all kinds of opinions.

When statistics are brought in to back up those opinions it is useful to verify what the statistics actually mean 😉

Oh good grief.  You want to win?  Ok, you are RIGHT, you WIN!  Can we drop it now?

I will sit in my GIANT oversized house  that is TOO BIG and drink my coffee and enjoy.

Carry on.

Edited by DawnM
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, DawnM said:

Oh good grief.  You want to win?  Ok, you are RIGHT, you WIN!  Can we drop it now?

I will sit in my GIANT oversized house  that is TOO BIG and drink my coffee and enjoy.

Carry on.

Seems I touched a nerve by accident; nothing said was a commentary on your house.

11 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

I thought at one time I had heard that there is no standard way that SQ is measured in a home.  Meaning some times they measure the garage.  Sometimes not.  Sometimes it includes the basement. 

Traditionally, it’s just finished living space, but “finished” can be subjective. Especially when work is done without permits!

It isn't just the size of the house that is an issue.   Layout matters.  A well-laid out smaller home may have more functional space than a larger home in which more thought was given to creating large impressive spaces than to traffic flow and the way people actually use their homes.  

Open floor plans may be popular but they do make repurposing spaces difficult.     

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Sherry in OH said:

It isn't just the size of the house that is an issue.   Layout matters.  A well-laid out smaller home may have more functional space than a larger home in which more thought was given to creating large impressive spaces than to traffic flow and the way people actually use their homes.  

Yes! We've toured a couple of open houses recently. I was amazed that the 1400-1800 sq ft houses were feeling smaller than our 1150 sq ft house. Same number of bedrooms but things were not arranged to make best use of space! (We have bigger closets, bigger bathrooms, more closet storage, better flow, etc). DH and I could not figure out how these places were more square footage than us! (One must've included the garage...)

2 hours ago, maize said:

Seems I touched a nerve by accident; nothing said was a commentary on your house.

The nerve was not touched by accident.  I asked that we just let it go.    and this isn't about my house, you know nothing about my house.

Edited by DawnM

I would feel comfortable for maybe 2 more years, having a then-11yo girl rooming with an 8yo boy. (By current NA standards, yada, yada.) I guess it's hard to predict where your then-21yo will be, but if he's still at home, it would become a more pressing issue over time, not less, for me.    <--- Thoughts I would be sharing with my dh in that situation, lol.

11 hours ago, BakersDozen said:

NM...just read enough responses that mine wouldn't have made sense.

I wonder if there is a closet that the 2yo could use as a little bedroom? We have 5 boys in one room but one of them (15mo) has the sweetest little nursery that was a walk-in closet. The boys keep their clothes in tall IKEA cabinets since the closet is not available.

It's too bad the master bedroom wouldn't work for a children's room, OP. But if the desk doesn't fit that would not be good for your dh, I suppose.

We're in 1600 sqft w/13 of us (2 have left the nest) so I get having to come up with creative space!

No, the only closet that isn't just an alcove like the one in their room is in our room, and it's a weird narrow space, like a bed wouldn't fit in there, etc. The people who lived here before us took what was not a walk in closet and turned it into one by taking out part of the bathroom...it's weird. But the closet does have a window, because of that, lol. Which actually drives us nuts because it means when a hurricane or tornado warning happens we don't have a single room in the house that doesn't have a window! 

7 hours ago, DawnM said:

I'd say that is way too big, especially given the size of american families now. I'd be happy with one more bedroom. Two would be amazing, so DH could have an office. Our yard isn't big enough to legally put a shed or something outback for an office or we would. 

3 hours ago, Sherry in OH said:

yes! We would be better served by less living space and more bedroom space at this point in time. 

1 hour ago, KathyBC said:

I would feel comfortable for maybe 2 more years, having a then-11yo girl rooming with an 8yo boy. (By current NA standards, yada, yada.) I guess it's hard to predict where your then-21yo will be, but if he's still at home, it would become a more pressing issue over time, not less, for me.    <--- Thoughts I would be sharing with my dh in that situation, lol.

Agreed. And DH does know that, and we do want to move eventually...it's getting to that point financially. 

For about 2 years in childhood I slept on a bed that was a pullout from a convertible couch—the type that had enough room to keep it made when folded in.  So that a two seater more or less couch opened to a full bed.  For around 6 years as an adult I had a futon bed that folded up so it could be sat on as couch in daytime.  The former made for more comfortable couch, the latter more comfortable bed.  Either could be another option rather than daybed in the room you photographed.  I had a daybed arrangement at one point in childhood which was very uncomfortable as a “couch” and just as hard as the convertibles to deal with daily .

My brain is now playing Tetris with that room, so we'll see if this free online diagram worked.
This is option A: boy and girl beds against the window wall, storage unit in between, 2yo between bed and closet.
Option B could be storage unit between bed and closet, 2yo in between their beds.
Option C could be storage units stacked on top of each other, if they will, in either location though I would prefer between bed and closet. This would maybe increase bed options?

ktgrok.jpg

Edited by KathyBC

2 hours ago, Ktgrok said:

No, the only closet that isn't just an alcove like the one in their room is in our room, and it's a weird narrow space, like a bed wouldn't fit in there, etc. The people who lived here before us took what was not a walk in closet and turned it into one by taking out part of the bathroom...it's weird. But the closet does have a window, because of that, lol. Which actually drives us nuts because it means when a hurricane or tornado warning happens we don't have a single room in the house that doesn't have a window! 

I'd say that is way too big, especially given the size of american families now. I'd be happy with one more bedroom. Two would be amazing, so DH could have an office. Our yard isn't big enough to legally put a shed or something outback for an office or we would. 

yes! We would be better served by less living space and more bedroom space at this point in time. 

Agreed. And DH does know that, and we do want to move eventually...it's getting to that point financially. 

1900 is way too big for a family of 7?  

DH's home as a child actually had 5 bedrooms.  They were really small, but there were 5 bedrooms.  There were 4 boys and 1 girl, so the girl got her own room and the boys shared.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DawnM said:

DH's home as a child actually had 5 bedrooms.  They were really small, but there were 5 bedrooms.  There were 4 boys and 1 girl, so the girl got her own room and the boys shared.

Nah, she was quoting your post about the average house being 2500 sq ft or so.

29 minutes ago, KathyBC said:

My brain is now playing Tetris with that room, so we'll see if this free online diagram worked.
This is option A: boy and girl beds against the window wall, storage unit in between, 2yo between bed and closet.
Option B could be storage unit between bed and closet, 2yo in between their beds.
Option C could be storage units stacked on top of each other, if they will, in either location though I would prefer between bed and closet. This would maybe increase bed options?

ktgrok.jpg

No, the two year old's bed won't fit there, that wall isn't long enough. It will fit horizontally, but again almost blocks the closet and almost blocks the entryway into the room. 

24 minutes ago, DawnM said:

Oh, no - I meant that the average house size being mentioned, 2,500 square feet, was way to big for ME to imagine, especially if I only had 2 kids like most families seem to have. Not that 1900 was too big for 7 people! I meant 2500 was too big for 4 people. I wouldn't want to clean that much floor space, lol. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ktgrok said:

No, the two year old's bed won't fit there, that wall isn't long enough. It will fit horizontally, but again almost blocks the closet and almost blocks the entryway into the room. 

Oh, no - I meant that the average house size being mentioned, 2,500 square feet, was way to big for ME to imagine, especially if I only had 2 kids like most families seem to have. Not that 1900 was too big for 7 people! I meant 2500 was too big for 4 people. I wouldn't want to clean that much floor space, lol. 

Gotcha.  It isn't too big for ME, in fact, I have a harder time keeping a smaller place clean.

Have you considered Japanese type sleeping mats that they can roll up in the daytime and create more space but then roll out to sleep?

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, DawnM said:

Just have to get another dig in don't you?  STOP IT!  

Dawn, nothing I have said has been intended as an attack on you. Truly nothing.

Mostly I've been trying to clarify facts. I know tone doesn't come through well in writing, but the only yelling in our conversations (marked by caps) has come from your side. I think your are attributing a tone to my posts that is not at all intended on my part.

I really do apologize for coming across wrong.

Just now, maize said:

Dawn, nothing I have said has been intended as an attack on you. Truly nothing.

Mostly I've been trying to clarify facts. I know tone doesn't come through well in writing, but the only yelling in our conversations (marked by caps) has come from your side. I think your are attributing a tone to my posts that is not at all intended on my part.

I really do apologize for coming across wrong.

Nah, you aren't clarifying.  You want to be right.  I said you can have it.  Why can't you just go with it?  I don't even CARE if the real answer is 600 sq. ft. or 2500 sq. ft.  I was simply saying what I found.....you just can't drop it.  There is absolutely nothing to clarify.....

When we were looking for our current house we walked through over a dozen homes that were well over 2000 sqft yet would not work for our family - super tiny kitchens or living areas, way oversized master bedroom/bath with closet-size bedrooms for kids, etc. When our friend suggested we look at a 1600 sqft home just around the corner from our last walk-through we told her she was nuts. And yet as soon as we walked in we knew it would work and we actually found that we have more usable space here than in our last home which was an open floor plan, modern 1850 sqft home.

• Like 2

It will all change again in just a couple of years so I'd keep it very simple and low cost. 

My first thought is that the setup really isn't that bad. That mattress can just be leaned against the wall (you have tons of wallspace!) during the day, or put on top of another bed. Bonus: short strength training each day! 

If the bed frames weren't expensive, I'd consider ditching them and going to mattresses or rollup mats only, all next to each other. They can be stacked or rolled up during the day for more space, but do they need a lot of space in the bedroom anyway? I'd just let them play in the living room and call it a day. 

I would be putting in a floor mat no matter what, because I would never be able to relax with small kids and ceramic tile, lol. Obviously my kids ran in the house way more than they should have.