Menu

my house is too small!!!!!!

ktgrok

On 4/3/2019 at 9:42 AM, Ktgrok said:

So, to make it look okay in that room, would you leave on just the bottom sheet, and some throw pillows of course, and then store the comforter and bed pillow in a bin under the bed? Her purple owl comforter doesn't exactly go with the decor or look like a couch/daybed, lol. The issue with just a fitted sheet is that one of the dogs does like to sleep on the couch that is out there, hmm...I can train him not to get up on it or just put something over the sheet. Maybe  just an inexpensive solid color fleece blanket? Or try to talk her into a different comforter that is solid colored or goes better in that room or something, or a quilt. She's 2, you'd think she wouldn't care, but I'm sure she does, lol. 

I would have the child on the daybed sleep in a washable sleeping bag.  The sleeping bag can be flung into a kid's room if company is coming over.  😛

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 4:34 PM, Scarlett said:

I have friend's who have a 1200 sf house. At one point they had their two boys, an adult nephew and an unrelated teen girl living with them.  They converted their small eating area to a small bedroom for her.  Then two years later when she was 18 and moved out they deconverted it back to an eating area.

We are a hundred feet smaller and have five people, and I would easily and comfortably add one more kid. Currently I have two kids in one room, the preschooler and toys in her room, and dh and I in the bigger room (not a master, we have one bath.) But the two teens shared the room that the preschooler had for years, so I could put bunks in there for her for another. 

We have tiny living spaces, but larger bedrooms so this works out for us, but not for any company whatsoever. To move from room to room you have to scoot past each other! I watch a woman on YouTube that has like 9 kids in a house our size with one bathroom for storage ideas, and I actually get get ones from her. 

Our house will feel less cluttered when the olders move out and when I can downsize the massive amounts of bookshelves and school stuff in the living areas. That time is approaching. And I am not looking forward to my kiddos leaving anyway, so I live with it! 

But OP, I feel you! Our bedrooms are ok, but I have to constantly be picking up the living areas. Kids need room to play. Kids need room to do school. Kids need to practice piano and eat meals. And we are all on top of each other doing it! We just get out and put up stuff constantly! 

• Like 1

The bed came! First, let me say, WOW on Zinus! I am NOT good at interpreting picture directions...like they make no sense to me at all usually. I look at ikea directions and feel like I've had a stroke...like stuff is going in my head that should make sense but doesn't. But this was simple! Almost all the pieces are the same size, ALL the bolts are the same size, they included a cool ratcheting tool to put it together with, and EVERY step had a number and the parts had that same number on them. Not like, this is leg A. But leg A had 4 holes, each labeled with what step they were in the directions. Really cool. 

That said, there were two little clips that were NOT listed anywhere, and not in the main hardware package and I THINK I remember seeing that they were to keep the mattress from slipping off or something, on the amazon description..need to go check. 

I'll post photos later tonight. 

• Like 5

The school room with the daybed in it, and the kids room. (the daybed is going to need a thicker mattress or a topper, a topper should be cheap enough...its okay laying down but shifting around on it you do feel the metal slats. 

8tcNbQxbSTmsDi3jAHs6CA.jpg

RDXG5KB8QqS7uivETihOdg.jpg

• Like 9

Oh, and my husband is going to watch videos of how to install a tub this weekend, hopefully. He found one he wants to buy, he's just worried about installing it. So hopefully the bathroom remodel is moving forward. 

Of course, first he has to replace the garbage disposal that broke and leaked disgusting stuff all over the inside of the custom cabinets he installed, and replace the dead battery in his truck. Adulting.....sigh. 

Edited by Ktgrok
  • Like 2
  • Sad 4

On 3/30/2019 at 8:49 AM, mommyoffive said:

I thought at one time I had heard that there is no standard way that SQ is measured in a home.  Meaning some times they measure the garage.  Sometimes not.  Sometimes it includes the basement. 

Yes, that is right.  My house here, which is really big, is measured at something like 3000.  That does not count our heated and a/c sunroom nor any of our fully finished and not even basementy first floor (where we have a large family room, second kitchen, room we use as dh\s office but is able to be a bedroom, and huge bathroom/saferoom complex plus laundry hall and garage.    i have zero idea how and why that floor isn't counted since it has a ground exit and the only part actually underground is the bathroom/saferoom area.