Menu

my house is too small!!!!!!

ktgrok

4 hours ago, DawnM said:

Nah, you aren't clarifying.  You want to be right.  I said you can have it.  Why can't you just go with it?  I don't even CARE if the real answer is 600 sq. ft. or 2500 sq. ft.  I was simply saying what I found.....you just can't drop it.  There is absolutely nothing to clarify.....

FWIW, everything I read in the convo from @maize was conversational, not trying to prove you wrong, but adding what she found that was different. Of course she didn't drop it because it's a discussion thread with ongoing conversation, but really it didn't read as personal at all from this outsider. I went back and re-read because your initial ire surprised me bc it seemed out of the blue in an otherwise interesting side tangent.

Edited by EmseB
  • Like 8

Random things to consider . . .

+ ASAP, I'd totally put cheap padding and carpet down over that tile for a couple years, until you're not so worried about the kids cracking their heads. For just a couple/few hundred bucks, you can make the floor a million time safer and reduce a lot of your (reasonable) worries. Plan to rip it out when it gets nasty and then that tile will still be there, good as new.

+ My climber kids had bunks at those ages and I never felt unsafe, but they weren't REALLY crazy, just climbed all the time. But, with thick padding and carpet, it was fine. Kids fall. It's OK. I mean, my youngest climbed the ladder to the tip top of the big kids' bunks when she was TEN MONTHS OLD and did that in about 20 seconds flat (first time she ever got on any ladder of any sort, while Dad was helping the kids brush their teeth in the bathroom no more than 20 feet away . . . So, I get it. But, still, no damage done . . .

+ A Twin-over-Full bunk, slammed against the wall on the long side and with modern, safe design . . . could be pretty darn safe. Especially because if you fell off the long side of the twin, you'd land on the full. đŸ™‚Â And the short ends could be pretty hard to climb with the right design (say, solid panels instead of rails/slats . . .) Modern bunks have so many safety rails, etc, they're pretty darn safe, I think.

+ You could take the doors off the closet and just take over that closet space for more floor space for bed space if that helps. Even if you keep the closet as a "closet", I'd still take the doors off to clear the floor space. You could hang curtains or just leave it open. 

+ You could remove everything but sleep/peaceful stuff in the entire room. You could remove all toys (to the family room, whatever) and maybe all the clothes, too, or at least ONLY have minimal clothes (maybe only jammies) and books/lovies in there. 

+ Kids clothes could go to some "family closet" wherever you can fit them. Maybe in the laundry room. Or an armoire in your family room or maybe in your master.

+ So, at a minimum, each kid would have a lovely bed, with room for a few movies and a bin/nook somewhere for their favorite books and one or two items they really want in the bed room. Everything else OUT (and give each a chest/cabinet/shelf/trunk/whatever somewhere in the house that is "theirs" for their STUFF). 

+ Consider curtains as dividers/screens (in place of closet doors and/or between beds) if desired. Make them easily washable to minimize allergens. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, EmseB said:

FWIW, everything I read in the convo from @maize was conversational, not trying to prove you wrong, but adding what she found that was different. Of course she didn't drop it because it's a discussion thread with ongoing conversation, but really it didn't read as personal at all from this outsider. I went back and re-read because your initial ire surprised me bc it seemed out of the blue in an otherwise interesting side tangent.

Yes to me as well . I wrote it off to pre-closing irritation.  

Just posting to say I somewhat feel your pain.  I feel like mine's too small, too.  And we have 5 with (as far as I know) no neurological issues.  Sometimes I wonder about some of us, though... 
Hope you find a solution.  Blessings are still responsibilities, and that can still cause real frustration.  ::hugs::

edited for clarity

Edited by CES2005
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, StephanieZ said:

Random things to consider . . .

+ ASAP, I'd totally put cheap padding and carpet down over that tile for a couple years, until you're not so worried about the kids cracking their heads. For just a couple/few hundred bucks, you can make the floor a million time safer and reduce a lot of your (reasonable) worries. Plan to rip it out when it gets nasty and then that tile will still be there, good as new.

+ My climber kids had bunks at those ages and I never felt unsafe, but they weren't REALLY crazy, just climbed all the time. But, with thick padding and carpet, it was fine. Kids fall. It's OK. I mean, my youngest climbed the ladder to the tip top of the big kids' bunks when she was TEN MONTHS OLD and did that in about 20 seconds flat (first time she ever got on any ladder of any sort, while Dad was helping the kids brush their teeth in the bathroom no more than 20 feet away . . . So, I get it. But, still, no damage done . . .

+ A Twin-over-Full bunk, slammed against the wall on the long side and with modern, safe design . . . could be pretty darn safe. Especially because if you fell off the long side of the twin, you'd land on the full. đŸ™‚Â And the short ends could be pretty hard to climb with the right design (say, solid panels instead of rails/slats . . .) Modern bunks have so many safety rails, etc, they're pretty darn safe, I think.

+ You could take the doors off the closet and just take over that closet space for more floor space for bed space if that helps. Even if you keep the closet as a "closet", I'd still take the doors off to clear the floor space. You could hang curtains or just leave it open. 

+ You could remove everything but sleep/peaceful stuff in the entire room. You could remove all toys (to the family room, whatever) and maybe all the clothes, too, or at least ONLY have minimal clothes (maybe only jammies) and books/lovies in there. 

+ Kids clothes could go to some "family closet" wherever you can fit them. Maybe in the laundry room. Or an armoire in your family room or maybe in your master.

+ So, at a minimum, each kid would have a lovely bed, with room for a few movies and a bin/nook somewhere for their favorite books and one or two items they really want in the bed room. Everything else OUT (and give each a chest/cabinet/shelf/trunk/whatever somewhere in the house that is "theirs" for their STUFF). 

+ Consider curtains as dividers/screens (in place of closet doors and/or between beds) if desired. Make them easily washable to minimize allergens. 

I don't remember if I said that at least the 6 yr old has ADHD to the point that he makes...poor decisions. as in, leap before you look. The younger one isn't much better. And maybe because I have a nurse for a mom and an SLP that deals with brain injured kids for a good friend I'm just really aware of bunk bed injuries? 

Even if I took everything else out, there would only be a few extra inches between the beds, that's it. So not really worth it given I don't have a ton of space in the rest of the house either. (remember, moose sized dog crate in the dining room, regular big dog sized dog crate in the living room, and another in the master bedroom. Plus desk for me (for my writing....just signed another contract) in the school room/playroom, plus desk/filing cabinets/etc for DH in the master bedroom for his consulting business that he does on top of his two jobs and for working on his masters degree. Plus bookcases...so many bookcases, lol. 

No laundry room or anything like that, sadly. But really, removing the clothes wouldn't help that much, if at all. 

13 minutes ago, Ktgrok said:

I don't remember if I said that at least the 6 yr old has ADHD to the point that he makes...poor decisions. as in, leap before you look. The younger one isn't much better. And maybe because I have a nurse for a mom and an SLP that deals with brain injured kids for a good friend I'm just really aware of bunk bed injuries? 

Even if I took everything else out, there would only be a few extra inches between the beds, that's it. So not really worth it given I don't have a ton of space in the rest of the house either. (remember, moose sized dog crate in the dining room, regular big dog sized dog crate in the living room, and another in the master bedroom. Plus desk for me (for my writing....just signed another contract) in the school room/playroom, plus desk/filing cabinets/etc for DH in the master bedroom for his consulting business that he does on top of his two jobs and for working on his masters degree. Plus bookcases...so many bookcases, lol. 

No laundry room or anything like that, sadly. But really, removing the clothes wouldn't help that much, if at all. 

Congratulations! :)

• Like 1

@StephanieZ said to remove the closet doors.  That’s what I did in my room.  My dh and I have the smallest room in the house with a bunch of BIG furniture shoved in there.  We removed the closet doors.  I’m not sure why, but it feels so much more pleasing in there without the doors now.  Feels more open, even though of course it’s not.  Our house is 1300 sf and I’m always on the lookout for a way to make it feel roomier.  

I’d get the 2yo a toddler bed mattress.  Put the two regular beds on either side of the window, with the toddler bed in between.  Put the cubbies tall against the wall, instead of wide.

Edited by Garga
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, Garga said:

@StephanieZ said to remove the closet doors.  That’s what I did in my room.  My dh and I have the smallest room in the house with a bunch of BIG furniture shoved in there.  We removed the closet doors.  I’m not sure why, but it feels so much more pleasing in there without the doors now.  Feels more open, even though of course it’s not.  Our house is 1300 sf and I’m always on the lookout for a way to make it feel roomier.  

I’d get the 2yo a toddler bed mattress.  Put the two regular beds on either side of the window, with the toddler bed in between.  Put the cubbies tall against the wall, instead of wide.

Unfortunately if I put her in a toddler bed I have no where to go if DH is snoring đŸ™‚

Oh, and the closet doors keep the cat from pulling clothes out of there and dragging them around the house at 2am. I have no idea why he does this, but he does. EVERY night if you don't close and actually LOCK the closet doors! DH had to put a hook/eyebolt thing on there to keep the cat out!

• Like 1

Could you set up the room you put a picture above of for *yourself* for if fb is snoring, or if you want to write at off hours etc?  

Then either roll up Japanese type Sleep mats, or lightweight inflatable Cascadia type mattresses for all 3 kids in the kid room.   Like this Therm-a-Rest MondoKing 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018APB96K/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_uidOCbCKB3Z6V  which is great!  where we are, but maybe in Florida a cooler type is better.  

It is hard to fall off a bed that’s already on the floor. Â đŸ™‚

Congratulations on next book deal!!!

My son has this in lieu of dresser, cubbies etc.  it uses vertical space more effectively and there are other configurations and various sizes with more cubby less hanging or vice versa.  But anyway could allow both dresser and cubby to go.    

SONGMICS 59" Closet Organizer Wardrobe Closet Portable Closet Shelves, Closet Storage Organizer with Non-Woven Fabric, Quick and Easy to Assemble, Extra Strong and Durable, Gray ULSF03G https://www.amazon.com/dp/B012VIROU2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_xrdOCbW6E64NE

he has a single bed futon on a frame that folds into a chair ... but it’s hard to fold it up 

13 minutes ago, Pen said:

Or like this: Milliard Tri Folding Mattress | Ultra Soft Washable Cover | Twin {75" x 38" x 4"} https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DJ8HWBU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_VmdOCbHP63KCQ

I do like that...you can keep the sheet on it, just fold up the comforter/blanket and stack on top. Right now I'm just thinking I'll deal with it as is, but if I get to the breaking point again, a nd have some cash, I'm going to get at least one of those. 

3 minutes ago, Pen said:

My son has this in lieu of dresser, cubbies etc.  it uses vertical space more effectively and there are other configurations and various sizes with more cubby less hanging or vice versa.  But anyway could allow both dresser and cubby to go.    

SONGMICS 59" Closet Organizer Wardrobe Closet Portable Closet Shelves, Closet Storage Organizer with Non-Woven Fabric, Quick and Easy to Assemble, Extra Strong and Durable, Gray ULSF03G https://www.amazon.com/dp/B012VIROU2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_xrdOCbW6E64NE

he has a single bed futon on a frame that folds into a chair ... but it’s hard to fold it up 

They don't have a dresser at all, all their clothes are already in the closet, DH put baskets from Ikea in there to organize the clothes that don't get hung up. I think we may put some shelves on the wall to display stuff, which would help get rid of the cubbies. 

Would any of the girls share a bed?  A full sized bed takes up less room than two twins (heck, a queen takes less space than two twins) and might work until the littlest is old enough to not hurt herself climbing a bunk bed.    Maybe something like this could work?

https://www.wayfair.com/Harriet-Bee--Simoneau-Twin-over-Full-Bunk-Bed-W000804955-L1074-K~W000804955.html?refid=GX271083910315-W000804955_1649910943&device=c&ptid=556898823793&network=g&targetid=aud-352581795726:pla-556898823793&channel=GooglePLA&ireid=65263241&PiID[]=1649910943&gclid=CjwKCAjwp_zkBRBBEiwAndwD9TlGXpFT2ktrS4S6PTLVIm3BrICkRkR52Erz743gikh7oZahVFDefhoCJ2UQAvD_BwE

If you have trouble sliding the mattress out from under the bed,  just trim it so it's easier.  This is simple if it's foam.  If it's not foam, GET a lightweight foam mattress and trim it a little bit so the kids can slide it in and out.  If you're worried about the hard floors, cover them with puzzle mats.  Your kids have a playroom.  I wouldn't worry about having much extra space in their bedrooms. A foam mattress slid under a full-sized bed would save the most space.  If the girls can get used to sleeping together it might get the toddler out of your bed.

When they're older, you can switch to something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Coaster-Home-Furnishings-401302-White/dp/B06XDNKWLZ/ref=asc_df_B06XDNKWLZ/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312131764467&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=13545460426786582892&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9007837&hvtargid=pla-569081367734&psc=1

Edited by KungFuPanda

You could put the 6 yo in your older son’s room with one of those flexible track system installed on the ceiling in an L shape around a corner and a heavy curtain on it around his bed.  That would make it quiet and dark enough for him to sleep and give older ds privacy.  

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N2OJLFF/ref=sspa_dk_detail_3?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B01N2OJLFF&pd_rd_w=PwUP5&pf_rd_p=80559f3c-f83b-49c1-8a72-40f936e9df7a&pd_rd_wg=R3rty&pf_rd_r=8EPNBPV5D380EVJNCQDS&pd_rd_r=4a05dbde-5369-11e9-abc6-4338a415eec6

Edited by caedmyn

All 3 beds against window wall.  Touching is fine.  

Get rid of the cubby.

he has a single bed futon on a frame that folds into a chair ... but it’s hard to fold it up   His is an older wood frame with separate cotton stuffed  futon thing— but a bit like this nowadays version of a similar idea:

Giantex Fold Down Sofa Bed Floor Couch Foam Folding Modern Futon Chaise Lounge Convertible Upholstered Memory Foam Padded Cushion Guest Sleeper Chair (Brown) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CZ8CQJ6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_QMdOCbZ9XFJ5R

1 minute ago, KungFuPanda said:

Would any of the girls share a bed?  A full sized bed takes up less room than a twin and might work until the littlest is old enough to not hurt herself climbing a bunk bed.    Maybe something like this could work?

https://www.wayfair.com/Harriet-Bee--Simoneau-Twin-over-Full-Bunk-Bed-W000804955-L1074-K~W000804955.html?refid=GX271083910315-W000804955_1649910943&device=c&ptid=556898823793&network=g&targetid=aud-352581795726:pla-556898823793&channel=GooglePLA&ireid=65263241&PiID[]=1649910943&gclid=CjwKCAjwp_zkBRBBEiwAndwD9TlGXpFT2ktrS4S6PTLVIm3BrICkRkR52Erz743gikh7oZahVFDefhoCJ2UQAvD_BwE

If you have trouble sliding the mattress out from under the bed,  just trim it so it's easier.  This is simple if it's foam.  If it's not foam, GET a lightweight foam mattress and trim it a little bit so the kids can slide it in and out.  If you're worried about the hard floors, cover them with puzzle mats.  Your kids have a playroom.  I wouldn't worry about having much extra space in their bedrooms. A foam mattress slid under a full-sized bed would save the most space.  If the girls can get used to sleeping together it might get the toddler out of your bed.

When they're older, you can switch to something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Coaster-Home-Furnishings-401302-White/dp/B06XDNKWLZ/ref=asc_df_B06XDNKWLZ/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312131764467&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=13545460426786582892&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9007837&hvtargid=pla-569081367734&psc=1

You know, I thought about trimming it, but figured that was a crazy thing to do, lol. But I guess not! Of course, then if we do put it on a fram later it would be too short. Maybe I could save the part I trim and hot glue it back together?

Sorry about the repeating post it keeps putting my old content instead of new.  I mistook what might be a bookcase then perhaps for a dresser.  Not sure what it is. Furniture that isn’t the cubby right by the floor bed.  

I think you’ve been given pretty much all the possible options, lol.  I strongly believe that, if you move most of the toy-like stuff to the play/school room, it’ll no longer feel as tight as it does now.

My boys’ room is a bit of a different layout and we went with a bunk over trundle, so I can’t say a whole lot about placement. It also had a bump out closet, which I had dh demo in order to fit the trundle! But getting as much STUFF out as possible is what helps it to seem a little less cramped, despite the beds taking up so much floor space.  Of course, putting the third one away when it isn’t in use is a big deal, too.

I don’t think squeezing 3 people in one room is ever going to work perfectly. (Says someone who lived in a triple in college, lol.) But we do what we have to do!

I’d recommend at least looking at modern bunk beds. That doesn’t mean you have to get one! But many newer ones have safer features, and injuries are going down as older ones are being replaced. With ours, the height needed for the built in trundle makes it so there’s little room to goof around on the top bunk, and the surrounding rail is pretty high.  My 11yo can touch the ceiling while lying down.  We had more problems when we had single beds, because all of my kids have been jumpers!  (And my sister broke her leg when she was two, jumping on her single bed, carpeted room. Compound fracture that put her in a body cast for months.) They physically cannot jump on the bunk beds.

There’s no way I’d put my 18 yr old (probably ASD, no diagnosis) kiddo in with one of my littles, that’s why we are looking at adding on. 

Between his irritability, tendency to swear when he’s chatting online (outloud with headset like yours) with his friends, night owl tendencies, electronic projects pieces he has laying around in parts... it would be a disaster. He would be so upset with me and it would ruin his relationship with the little one.

Just my thought on that one option.

I don’t want to share my bedroom with my 4 year old anymore, it’s not fair to make my 18 year old do it either. Kwim.

Hope you can figure something out.

• Like 6

Since this is a short term problem, and you can get bunk beds in another year or two, what about leaving the room the way it is in your photo and just getting an extra (maybe full size) fitted sheet to put over the toddler' size bed each morning. That way the kids could get on it during the day and you would have to worry about it getting dirty. Just take the fitted sheet off each night to clean bedding. 

Another ideas would be to hire someone to finish up the bathroom renovation, and then go ahead and start looking for a new house.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, City Mouse said:

Since this is a short term problem, and you can get bunk beds in another year or two, what about leaving the room the way it is in your photo and just getting an extra (maybe full size) fitted sheet to put over the toddler' size bed each morning. That way the kids could get on it during the day and you would have to worry about it getting dirty. Just take the fitted sheet off each night to clean bedding. 

Another ideas would be to hire someone to finish up the bathroom renovation, and then go ahead and start looking for a new house.

Oh, that's smart! I do have plenty of extra sheets! 

And yes, I've decided today to not spend money on this, and instead put it towards the bathroom. I also very pointedly reminded DH that that needs to be done ASAP. 

• Like 1

Call a contractor or handyman to finish the bathroom. You will get the money back you invested when you sell. 

Or - do you have a laundry room? You could move the washer and dryer to the garage and make a tiny room for one of your kids. 

We had 9 kids in a 1300 sq ft house for a while. That was a tight squeeze. We moved ourselves out of the master, although you said there wasn't enough room in the kids' room for all of your stuff. 

Did the Ikea Kura get mentioned instead of a regular bunk bed? They are really low, which makes them safer for falls and also keeps a room feeling pretty open. If it were me, I would buy it now. Then by the time I got around to assembling it the littlest would be past the climbing phase.

15 hours ago, Melissa in Australia said:

lots of people here in Aus get an old caravan and put it in their back yard for their almost adult child. - but we don't get freezing conditions here.

Personally I would chuck the dogs and their  3 giant crates outside and have enough room for the children to fit 

We can't put anything in the backyard, not big enough - anything like that has to be a certain distance from the property edge and it wouldn't be, mainly because we have a very small ingroud pool that takes up much of the space in the middle of the yard, leaving a runway around it basically. 

As for the dogs...many days I like them better than the kids, lol. Maybe I should put the kids in crates and give the dogs the beds, lol. They'd probably be more appreciative. 

12 hours ago, lmrich said:

Call a contractor or handyman to finish the bathroom. You will get the money back you invested when you sell. 

Or - do you have a laundry room? You could move the washer and dryer to the garage and make a tiny room for one of your kids. 

Man, I WISH I had a laundry room! The washer and dryer are in the kitchen. 

Edited by Ktgrok

I think the concept of a 'Master' bedroom is stupid.  Put the adults in the smallest room possible - they have the public areas after the kids are in bed.  I share with ds9 - we have a plyboard partition down the middle of the room.  If the beds are away from the partition your son's should be able to share but this is as well as moving you and your husband to a smaller room.  If you like where you are don't move as the problem is not long term but the extra debt would be.

On 3/29/2019 at 8:44 PM, ksr5377 said:

We have the Ikea Hemnes Daybed for my 4 year old. It has drawers so you could even put her clothes in there. I love it because on nights when DH is really snoring I am able to pull it out larger and throw the second mattress on it for myself.  My 4yo sleeps through anything thankfully.  That makes it as wide as a King size, just not as long.  Love it!

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30349329/

WE have the IKEA Hemnes for our daughter too!

We pull it out for a guest bed at need too

Just now, Jyhwkmama said:

So do you have an empty bedroom currently gutted to the studs? If so, I would prioritize paying someone to hang/tape/bed the drywall so that you can move someone in there.

I thinkthat is the guest house.  .?   But I agree I would make that a priority.  

Here’s what I would do. I’d put both twin beds with their headboards against the window. Minimal space between them. Leave enough space between the left bed and the wall so you can turn the floor matress on it’s side and slide it into the gap. Have the kids put it there when they make their beds in the morning (keep the fitted sheet on) and keep the rest of the bedding in a bin under one of the beds. 

9 hours ago, Jyhwkmama said:

So do you have an empty bedroom currently gutted to the studs? If so, I would prioritize paying someone to hang/tape/bed the drywall so that you can move someone in there.

No - one of the two bathrooms is gutted to studs, not a bedroom. It's a 3 bedroom, 2 bath home. No basement, no mudroom, no laundry room. One of the bathrooms is gutted...still has a functioning toilet and sink, but no drywall, bare concrete floors, no tub/shower/etc. So we've been down to one shower stall, no bathtub, for a long time now, with 6 people. 

I asked DH the other day if we had an extra computer monitor around, as it would be really helpful to me with my writing to have an outline up on one screen, or research, or whatever while I write on the other and he started going on about these cool extra wide monitors. I tried to say that I don't need anything that fancy. He said, "I think once you tried it you would wonder how you got along without it" and I said, "yeah, I think I'll feel that way when the bathroom is done too. Maybe we hold off on stuff like monitors until that is done."

9 hours ago, Scarlett said:

I thinkthat is the guest house.  .?   But I agree I would make that a priority.  

Guest house? No, lol. No guesthouse. Man that would be  nice!!!!

Ok, so I've narrowed my options down:

1. Leave it as it is for now. Keep a blanket or sheet over the bed on the floor to prevent dirt tracked onto it.

2. Put the beds back where I used to have them, one on either side of the window, and trim the mattress on the floor so it is shorter and easier to slide under one of the other beds. Put the pillow in a bin that slides under other bin. That way kids can pull it out for me if need be. (as it is the legs of the bed make the space small than the mattress so very hard to pull out/put in)

3.  Spend the money on a daybed to put in the school/play room. Either about $100-$200 for bare basics metal frame or $299 for the Hemnes one that would match the room. The Hemnes has a trundle (would need another mattress for that) and has storage drawers for clothing. Or the bare basics one would have room under it to put some bins to hold either clothes or toys, actually. 

I think we will do either option 2 or 3, but get the cheaper daybed if we do option 3. Something low to the ground but with room for bins underneath. 

If we do #3 some people expressed concern about the 2 yr old wandering during the night but we do have a gate actually for between the school room and the living room, so we can block it off so the only room she can get to is our master and the room she's in. She's also not a trouble maker during the night...worst is she will call for me or come get me. I may keep an eye on craigslist for a daybed as well, but so far they seem the same price as new. 

Edited to add: I found this daybed on amazon for $69, and with her low foam mattress it would be low enough I wouldn't worry about her falling out - we have laminate in that room and an area rug. And still slide a few low bins under it, which would help with toy storage in that room, actually. https://www.amazon.com/Zinus-Split-Rail-Daybed-Frame-Support/dp/B0792GHYRS

Edited by Ktgrok
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Ktgrok said:

No - one of the two bathrooms is gutted to studs, not a bedroom. It's a 3 bedroom, 2 bath home. No basement, no mudroom, no laundry room. One of the bathrooms is gutted...still has a functioning toilet and sink, but no drywall, bare concrete floors, no tub/shower/etc. So we've been down to one shower stall, no bathtub, for a long time now, with 6 people. 

I asked DH the other day if we had an extra computer monitor around, as it would be really helpful to me with my writing to have an outline up on one screen, or research, or whatever while I write on the other and he started going on about these cool extra wide monitors. I tried to say that I don't need anything that fancy. He said, "I think once you tried it you would wonder how you got along without it" and I said, "yeah, I think I'll feel that way when the bathroom is done too. Maybe we hold off on stuff like monitors until that is done."

Guest house? No, lol. No guesthouse. Man that would be  nice!!!!

Oh sorry my bad.  I am confused though.  What did you say your husband needed to finish framing out?

1 minute ago, Scarlett said:

Oh sorry my bad.  I am confused though.  What did you say your husband needed to finish framing out?

The bathroom. We can't even think about selling this house until he finishes the bathroom. 

15 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

Ooooh. Ok, yeah that won’t do for extra sleeping space. Lol

LOL! not unless someone sleeps in the bathtub! Which if I were to get pregnant again would have to happen, lol. (not planning another pregnancy, fyi. I'll be 43 in a week, and I'm tired, and there is NO ROOM for another kids, lol)

• Haha 1

Ok, I think I've talked myself into the daybed option, the cheap $69 one. It actually has a coupon for $2 off that even. I do kind of prefer white, but the cheapest one in white is $96, and I don't like the style as much. And DH might prefer black anyway. And I could always spray paint the frame white if I wanted to, or whatever color I wanted. 

Edited: I just ordered it! Wont' be here until Tuesday, but that's my birthday so that will be fun đŸ™‚

Also, I realized that even if we don't like having the baby out there, we can always put it in the kids room and put DD9 in it, and stick DD2's mattress under it, as it is actually made to work with a trundle unlike their current beds. And it's just as cheap as buying a regular twin frame for DD. So seems like a frugal, flexible choice that doesn't involve cutting up the mattress we already have, which would be cheap short term but mean needing to buy a new mattress at some point. 

Also, the small couch/loveseat thing in the school/play room now is fairly beat up, and one of the slip covers is ripped, and they don't make those slip covers anymore. And it is too low to put any toy bins under, but just high enough for loose legos and such to constantly end up under there, which drives me nuts because you can't see them or reach them easily. Have to move the whole couch each time. The daybed will give me a bit better access to that space. I think I'll put the bins that have the legos and blocks under there, to pull out. 

Edited by Ktgrok
  • Like 3

38 minutes ago, Ktgrok said:

Ok, I think I've talked myself into the daybed option, the cheap $69 one. It actually has a coupon for $2 off that even. I do kind of prefer white, but the cheapest one in white is $96, and I don't like the style as much. And DH might prefer black anyway. And I could always spray paint the frame white if I wanted to, or whatever color I wanted. 

Edited: I just ordered it! Wont' be here until Tuesday, but that's my birthday so that will be fun đŸ™‚

Also, I realized that even if we don't like having the baby out there, we can always put it in the kids room and put DD9 in it, and stick DD2's mattress under it, as it is actually made to work with a trundle unlike their current beds. And it's just as cheap as buying a regular twin frame for DD. So seems like a frugal, flexible choice that doesn't involve cutting up the mattress we already have, which would be cheap short term but mean needing to buy a new mattress at some point. 

Wow,  That is a great solution.  I admire how you don’t sit around overthinking a problem.  You are a woman of action.  

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

Wow,  That is a great solution.  I admire how you don’t sit around overthinking a problem.  You are a woman of action.  

ha!....my husband would say I'm just impulsive, lol. Your way sounds way nicer đŸ™‚

(actually, recently he gave me the same compliment, when he saw my business cards and flyers I made up in a day, versus him taking weeks to try to figure out the very best layout, so maybe as I've matured impulsivity has matured into "woman of action")

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

So, to make it look okay in that room, would you leave on just the bottom sheet, and some throw pillows of course, and then store the comforter and bed pillow in a bin under the bed? Her purple owl comforter doesn't exactly go with the decor or look like a couch/daybed, lol. The issue with just a fitted sheet is that one of the dogs does like to sleep on the couch that is out there, hmm...I can train him not to get up on it or just put something over the sheet. Maybe  just an inexpensive solid color fleece blanket? Or try to talk her into a different comforter that is solid colored or goes better in that room or something, or a quilt. She's 2, you'd think she wouldn't care, but I'm sure she does, lol. 

Edited by Ktgrok

1 hour ago, Ktgrok said:

So, to make it look okay in that room, would you leave on just the bottom sheet, and some throw pillows of course, and then store the comforter and bed pillow in a bin under the bed? Her purple owl comforter doesn't exactly go with the decor or look like a couch/daybed, lol. The issue with just a fitted sheet is that one of the dogs does like to sleep on the couch that is out there, hmm...I can train him not to get up on it or just put something over the sheet. Maybe  just an inexpensive solid color fleece blanket? Or try to talk her into a different comforter that is solid colored or goes better in that room or something, or a quilt. She's 2, you'd think she wouldn't care, but I'm sure she does, lol. 

Honestly, I'd put on a second "oversheet" for use as a couch during the day and then take it off for bed at night (with blanket in a drawer underneath).  Then you won't be sleeping on crumbs and stuff. (And until the dog learns to stay off you don't have dog hair on the sleeping surface)

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, vonfirmath said:

Honestly, I'd put on a second "oversheet" for use as a couch during the day and then take it off for bed at night (with blanket in a drawer underneath).  Then you won't be sleeping on crumbs and stuff. (And until the dog learns to stay off you don't have dog hair on the sleeping surface)

That is probably easiest/cheapest. 

Would you store the comforter in a bin under the bed, or put it on the bed and put the extra sheet over it?

1 hour ago, Ktgrok said:

That is probably easiest/cheapest. 

Would you store the comforter in a bin under the bed, or put it on the bed and put the extra sheet over it?

It would be easiest to put the oversheet over it. You'll just have to see if that makes it too "Fluffy" to be used as a couch during the day