Menu

What are you doing for Valentine's?

HollyDay

I'm working so I will leave a box of Trader Joe's heart cookies on the kitchen table in the morning.  And blow a kiss to the sleeping house as I leave.  :-)

We were going to take our son out for his graduation celebration dinner (he graduated CC in December, yeah we are a little late) but realized the date and what a bad evening that is to go to a restaurant, so my husband is making pizza for dinner.

I don't usually celebrate with my kids, but we're making a cake tomorrow for the fun of it.
Dh and I are going out on Friday.  We're going to do a riddle room with a scenario so ridiculously parallel to our lives (it's set at his workplace. 😄 ) that we're bound to have fun. After that we are going out for Greek food and just hanging out together.

I got a frozen meal from the grocery store for DH and me.  We are so sick of the food we eat around here due to picky eaters, yet neither of us wants to cook something fancy, and the restaurants are too crowded...so...frozen meal.  It’ll be special to us.  🙂

The boys will eat their homemade pizza like normal because they love pizza night.  (Thursday night is always pizza night.  I greatly dislike homemade pizza.)

I got my dh and the boys each a container with m&ms inside. They’re small with hearts on them, so it’s about the thought more than the amount of candy.

And to top it all off, we’re going to make sugar cookies in heart shapes for dessert.  

It’s all about food for us for this Valentine’s day.  In the past, DH and I would exchange gifts, and we probably will in the future, but for this year it’s about not cooking and about baking cookies together.

Edited by Garga
  • Like 1

I haven't really come up with anything.  I was thinking a special dessert for DH, but today is DS birthday so we are having dessert tonight.  I may just end up making a special dinner and skip the dessert part.  Our puppy is going in for surgery tomorrow to get fixed, so I think we will be needing to keep an eye on him and make sure he is doing okay.

I thought about making molten lava cakes -- there's an Instant Pot recipe I want to try! And maybe a baked spaghetti or something else dh likes. Otherwise, I just him a card.

DH always gets little Valentine's gifts for the kids. DS even said the other day, "I can't wait to see what Dad gets us for Valentine's Day!" I guess when I buy a gift, it's from both of us, but when DH buys one, it's from him. 🙄

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

It’s just DH and me now😊After years of doing special things when our girls were living at home, I’m done❤️ Hubby always left this stuff to me and I just don’t want to do it anymore. Today, DH asked me what I wanted to do🙄Nothing, but thanks for asking😘

• Like 4

Nursing kids through a virus, possibly the flu, like I have been for the last week. DH and I were supposed to have our Valentine's date for lunch today, while the kids were in school. He was a few minutes from home when I got the call to pick up the next victim. It's okay, though. They're too tired to even be crabby. Beats the heck out of the vomiting bug they had a few weeks ago.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, DawnM said:

Um, nothing?  Am I meant to be doing something?  

I will be working and have a meeting after work.  

Are you trying to be snarky to the OP or did it just happen naturally? You *could* just not answer instead of ruining her innocent, chatty question with snark. There's so much of that on the internet, why contribute to it? 

• Confused 1

Touching up kitchen cabinets with varathane and some stain in a few spots.

Painting the kitchen accent wall.

Making steak and asparagus for early dinner (dd12 has a volleyball game)

Pretty normal day around here, so I bought us each a favorite candy 

DD20 Powerberries from TJs

DD12 Gummy Xs and Os from TJs

Ds24 Lindt chocolate/coconut truffles. 

Me chocolate covered raspberries. 

Edited by Tap

2 hours ago, Dynamite5 said:

Are you trying to be snarky to the OP or did it just happen naturally? You *could* just not answer instead of ruining her innocent, chatty question with snark. There's so much of that on the internet, why contribute to it? 

This was so incredibly rude.  Maybe you could ask without assuming.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Dynamite5 said:

Are you serious?

I didn’t read Dawn’s post that way at all. She is a very nice person!

Honestly, your post is the one that came across as snarky and negative. Dawn’s post seemed fine to me.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Catwoman said:

Are you serious?

Honestly, your post is the one that came across as snarky and negative. Dawn’s post seemed fine to me.

Thank you!  There were many here who said they aren't doing anything "special" and she didn't jump all over them!  

• Like 1

Dh and I exchange cards and a theater size box of candy, as we have done for 30 years.  I usually send something to the grands but got busy this year and didn’t. I’ll make up for it at Easter since their parents don’t do Easter baskets I’ve always been allowed to indulge them with some candy and books. 

3 hours ago, lavender's green said:

Nursing kids through a virus, possibly the flu, like I have been for the last week. DH and I were supposed to have our Valentine's date for lunch today, while the kids were in school. He was a few minutes from home when I got the call to pick up the next victim. It's okay, though. They're too tired to even be crabby. Beats the heck out of the vomiting bug they had a few weeks ago.

Ugh, me too, except DH started it and is still down with it, and all four kids got hit today.  With luck there's a lot of tv and naps tomorrow for Valentine's Day.  If there's no luck, DH might have given me the flu...

Thanks everyone.  This year is different for me.  Oldest is away at school.  Dh is working.  Some dear folks passed away this past year.  My chronic pain is always a factor is whatever I do. So it is just not the same this year and I'm working on the new normal. 

Didn't send out cards, but I bought cards for dh and dd still at home.  I sent candy to dd away at school (she is celebrating by getting a positive strep test this morning).  I made chocolate waffles for dd and me breakfast.  I'll make candy in a few minutes.  The three of us had a nice dinner last night.  I'm thinking I'll work on my hand sewing while watching a hallmark movie and enjoy a quiet day. 

• Like 1

I haven't done anything consistently for Valentine's Day since the children were very little.  For our family, Valentine's Day has been more of a school arts and craft opportunity than anything else.  I doubt that dh and I will do anything.  We're an old married couple who forgets even our wedding anniversary most years. 

I have had fleeting thoughts of cooking or baking something special but I had a very bad pain night last night and I'm pretty sure that the thoughts will remain just thoughts.  And since I haven't shared them with anyone (other the whole world on the world wide web 😉 ) I don't feel pressure to make them come to fruition. 

I realized last night that we have a troop meeting to go to tonight.  I bought some steaks at the store this morning and will make a nice dinner to eat, hopefully before the meeting.  DD will be staying home to watch puppy.  I bought some sweet tart candies for DH, which he really likes and I got a bag of Hersey's kisses to put in a bowl for the kids to share.  DH said he was going to take me out to dinner tomorrow night.

DH made me a sweet card, donated a rescue gift in my name, and desperately wants to go on a date. I'm not sure if we can swing it (sick kid plus teen having some tough times) but if we can get out we will have dinner.  ETA: We are going to Hawaii in 10 days so plan to renew our vows while we are there!

Edited by hippiemamato3

17 hours ago, Catwoman said:

Are you serious?

TBH, I kind of read it as snarky/catty. But I overlooked it because I know Dawn isn't usually that way, so I wanted to give her the benefit of the doubt.

Written communication can suck sometimes. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, alisoncooks said:

We'll be out of house for most of the day, so I made mini molten lava cakes and chocolate covered strawberries tonight and put them in the fridge for dinner tomorrow. And I'll put a roast in the crockpot before we leave in the morning. That should give me a nice dinner with minimal V-Day effort. 

We had a Valentine's Day potluck today at work, which I had forgotten about.  I ended up having to bring buffalo dip and chips.  I wanted to bring a crockpot item but realized my crockpot is packed away in storage! 😞

It’s ok to honestly answer the question even if we aren’t doing the same as others.  Or even if the answer is “nothing “  

I ended up grabbing steak for dinner. That is related to Valentine’s Day because we don’t often have steak and I consider it a bit more “fancy” than usual. I also saw these chocolate covered mangoes and chocolate covered strawberries that I grabbed. Those seemed Valentinesy as well. 

• Like 1

Everyone gets a bag of Dove chocolates. College girl got hers in a care package last week. Dh gets dark chocolate, girls get milk chocolate, I get the peanut butter filled ones. We went out for my bday a couple nights ago, so Valentine's Day is always low key. I'm making tacos for dinner.

But dd's caregiver gushed about how great dh's and my marriage is, so that was kind of a nice little treat!

• Like 1

DH got me a pretty pink bible and asked for me to learn scalp massage. I took the kids for valentine donuts this morning and gave them each a chocolate owl (It’s a play on our last name). 

My mil has been having a rough time since spinal surgery in October, and went in for a heart cath today. Kids made valentine cards and I made soup. Went over to walk thier dog and laid out the cards, soup tureen and some cheese, crackers and olives for when they returned. 

We don't usually do anything for Valentine's Day, but DH's birthday was this week, and tonight ended up a better night schedule-wise for desserts than his actual birthday.  We had one of those cheesecake samplers, a gluten free no-bake cheesecake for DH, and a batch of homemade chocolate chip ice cream.  Unfortunately, my health issues started acting up, and now I can't eat any of it.  I even ended up making fried rice out of leftovers and grilled cheese for dinner instead of the new recipe I had planned.   Oh well.  The guys thought it was tasty.

• Like 1

My husband made pizza for dinner, and one of them was heart-shaped.

When I texted that I was on my way home from work, he texted back a heart.  It was probably the first time he's ever used an emoji in a text to me.  

That's about as exciting as it gets around here!    :-)

• Like 3