12th grade planning 2019-2020

English - community college

Pre-Calc - community college

Japanese 3- local tutor

Econ - ?

Government - ?

Elective - ?

Elective - ?

I am still looking for an engineering elective but come up empty, he has no idea what he wants to do for his second elective.  I don't know if the community college will work out, we will see.

This DS has no idea what he wants to do after high school. He knows what he's good at and he knows what he's not good at, but so far he hasn't translated any of that into a career path. In addition to piano, guitar, drama, speech/debate, and a one week mission trip with our church, next year he will be:

Finishing Precalc with Chalkdust

Apologia Physics

misc. modern lit units from EiL

1/2 credit Personal Finance with Dave Ramsey

Music Theory at CC

Some other elective at CC - probably something education or management or poli sci related

1/2 credit elective at home to be determined

Personal Fitness at home to round out his PE credit

• Like 2

Our plans for fall:

• Consumer math, some trig, and whatever he wants to review
  • Canadian history
  • English (homemade CM-style literature and composition)
  • Conceptual Physics with Physics 101 DVD supplement
  • health - mostly homemade
  • Modern Residential Wiring (CLE) - he wants to be an electrician so this will get his feet wet a little

Edited by hollyhock2
  • Like 4

Next year's SENIOR! (I wish we still had that fainting emoji...)

Math:  Algebra 2 -- not sure if I'm going to use Lials (since I have it) or Holt (since I have it) or try to find MUS at a decent price. 

Science:  Hewitt's Conceptual Physics, mom taught.

History:  my Frankenstein-ed version of SL's American Government core (subbing out quite a few books) and mashing in some of Ambleside Online's Year 12 (Sophie's World and some other goodies..)

Lit: culling from SL's list ^ and AO's ^ list, plus what we have around the house.  He has a history, philosophy, and sci fi/fantasy bent, so it will be fun to see what we come up with.  I will probably keep the reading/writing load in literature a little lighter, since he will need more time to chew on the government/philosophy side of things. 

Writing tied to history and lit.   I might throw in a quick grammar refresher course using Warriners.

Vocab study using Abeka Spelling Vocab, Poetry, because he likes it.

Greek 2 , mom taught

1/2 credit of Economics -- I have the BJU book, but I'm not sure if it will fit for us.  Still reading and thinking about that one.

1/2 credit of keyboarding/data processing/computer type course...this was slated for this current school year, but got bumped.

Pep Band and Jazz Band at local high school

Cross Country and Indoor Track at local high school

Continue SAT prep and then THE TEST!     He tested this spring (junior year) so he may or may not take it again depending on scores....

He also works part time and plays music for our church.

Edited by Zoo Keeper
  • Like 4

So much up in the air, that I shouldn't even be posting. But it does help me to sort things out. 

PreCalc: Mr. Ds. This we know. Worth the money for her. 

English 4:  American/Modern Literature from WTM using WEM and writing responses.  *** OR *** one semester DE Comp I, one semester Lit at home. 

Am. History 1 credit

State History 1/2 credit

Am. Government 1/2 credit  *** no idea how this will work out for her. We may DE 1 or more of these, or she may do it all at home with dd15 and me since we are doing it anyway. 

DE elective: I am thinking an excel course or Microsoft course of some kind would be really useful

PE 1/2 credit elective

Fine Arts 1/2 credit elective, up in the air. If she does history at home with us, it will be a History of Fashion course we are doing w/dd15. If not, she can choose something else.  

**** It is kind of a light year for her. She has decided to not pursue science any farther. She has 4 credits of lab sciences already. She has completed her Girl Scout Gold Award which was a huge chunk of time over 10th and 11th grades. She is almost done with Driver's Ed. We have just taken it really slowly. She is no hurry, her choice. We just really need to focus on the required history topics, and it will be our first time trying DE. I wasn't going to, but after talking to her chosen university, and the local community colleges, I have changed my mind and decided to go for it. Will not be a cheap year for us who have hsed on the cheap as much as possible. 

Edited by 2_girls_mommy
  • Like 3

Ds is planning full DE.  Calc 1, Physics, English and either Econ or Gov. 

He will do 2 electives with a local class.

edited:  now we are not sure about doing any local classes, but instead adding in DE electives.

Edited by Mbelle
  • Like 2

So far the plan is:

All DE:

Physics

Economics - micro or macro

Linear Algebra

some computer science classes

Elective possibilities - humanities, psychology (she already took intro), criminal justice, history to get it out of the way for GE requirements in college

She has plenty of English credits and doesn't want to take more

Edited - here's our plan now:

All DE:

Early American History 

Modern American History

Computer Programming Class (C++)

Physics

Intro to Humanities

Intro to Criminal Justice

Linear Algebra

one elective - maybe economics, maybe another programming class...we'll see in spring

Edited by Kassia
  • Like 3

Count me as not emotionally prepared for 12th grade. ☺️

Here's what we are planning at the moment:

AP Calculus with Derek Owens

Biomedical Science with Excelsior Classes - fall semester 

Chemistry via dual enrollment - spring semester

Essay Writing and Appreciation with Roy Speed at HSCollegeBound.com - excellent at meeting each student where they are and provides very helpful feedback

dual enrollment for US History, Government, and Public Speaking

Also going to go through the Great Courses' How to Look At and Understand Great Art and How to Listen To and Understand Great Music.

If he has time, I want to watch the Great Courses video course on Economics with him. Econ likely won't be required in his planned major. Maybe this summer. 

Edited by TarynB

My oldest will be a senior next year. 😯 This is what we have planned so far:

Pre-calc MUS

Physics (Apologia?)

Anatomy & Physiology (maybe)

Clearwater Press Byline

Speech

Civics

Economics

Japanese

Cultural Philosophy and Literature: Worldviews in Conflict

Edited by Mona

Mine has informed me that he just wants to have a relaxing senior year hanging out with his friends.  So we have compromised on four classes at the high school and two at home.

At the high school: AP Government, AP Environmental Science, AP Computer Science, post-AP Statistics.

At home: An interdisciplinary English/philosophy thing that focuses on ethics, values, quality, etc.  

ETA:  Well that's old news.  Here's the updated version:

At the high school: A two credit advanced humanities course that integrates English, philosophy, and history, post-AP statistics, AP Environmental Science, and AP Computer Science

At home:  The above doesn't leave much time for actual homeschooling, so we're going to do several quarter credit mini courses on topics that we never got a chance to cover--no output, just reading, videos/films, and discussion.

Edited by EKS
  • Like 2

I'm also not ready for senior year... in terms of planning, and emotionally - dh and I already are telling DS that we are going to miss him.... sigh

Here's what we've been thinking:

*AP Chem - PA Homeschoolers or Chem Advantage?

*AP Lang & Comp or Lit? - leaning towards Lang

Some kind of math beyond Calc BC?

Some kind of Latin reading course beyond AP?

Homemade modern history course of US History course?

DS has not done any arts/music courses (piano and music theory we are thinking of listing as extra-curricular), so maybe something in this area

I don't know if he will have time, but if he does, maybe some intro computer programming (Python with AoPS)

I know, we've got a lot of question marks.

DS will graduate early.  He never loved school, and while he's been successful doing college prep work he could care less about college.  He chose his 11th grade year but I'm over the whining.  We just made some major changes for this year's math, and going into 12th grade (with help from a wise friend) we are doing what needs to be done in the fall semester and he will graduate in January 2020.  

Econ, Gov't, Life math/personal finance, adult writing skills   It's not many credits but he has everything needed to apply to college and will graduate with 29 credits.  
I'm hoping he will figure out a trade to learn and work until he has the money to go do it.  Getting a driver license is also the plan for 2020 when he turns 18.  

DD...I might graduate her early.  She would then graduate in June 2020.   If so, this is her plan:

SL 330 Lit, Advanced math, personal finance, Anatomy, Gov't, Econ, ASL 4 somewhere, Psychology, Bible  

If she goes to a state school she will definitely graduate early and go at 17.  If she chooses to go to a school 3k miles away we will graduate in 2021 with her senior year being work, some mission work, keeping math skills up to date.  Then she would be 18 when college started.  

I feel like next year is a mess in progress.  We are moving this summer an hour north, so completely different area/community and with no ties I think they will focus on school and getting jobs.  The plan is to get DD focused on her career plans and schools to apply to she is ok location wise.  Only 1 option in our state for her interests, so lots to think about for her future and how to manage an out of state school...why are none easy to fly into?  

My oldest will be a senior - Dear Lord, I swear I am not that old!! Everything next year will be at the community college, at least it's easy to plan.

She will have Calc I & possibly Calc 2, Physics, Composition 2 & Speech. Some sort of Humanities and Fine Arts elective. She is hoping to CLEP 1 social studies credit, but she'll take the class if necessary. She should graduate then with an AS. 

Mine is graduating in December.  She plans to work from January to August and then she has a college picked out.  She also plans to go into nursing (like her brother).  

She is pretty unteachable at this point (I'm giving up - I need to pour my energy into the younger kids now), so I think she is kinda doing whatever she wants and going along with what her brother (a year younger) is doing.  Here are the unit studies she says she wants to do with her brother:

• Life of Fred Statistics
  • Home Economics
  • Fantasy Literature
  • Native American History
  • Contemporary Native American Literature (from different genres)
  • Psychology
  • German III
  • Visual Arts - painting and sculpting.  She also started an online business selling her artwork.

We school year-round, so that takes us to December.  She is also running track & field for the first time ever this year (which makes me so happy, because this is the first time she has been able to do a sport in two years since our accident/surgery). 

She is also taking the SAT for the first time in May, which I am excited about, because she is regularly getting close to a perfect score on the English practice tests (Thank-you, WTM!!!!!).  I think she is going to rock the SAT.

I told her she could do dual enrollment, but she doesn't want to.  *shrug*  

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Evanthe said:

Mine is graduating in December.  She plans to work from January to August and then she has a college picked out.  She also plans to go into nursing (like her brother).  

She is pretty unteachable at this point (I'm giving up - I need to pour my energy into the younger kids now), so I think she is kinda doing whatever she wants and going along with what her brother (a year younger) is doing.  Here are the unit studies she says she wants to do with her brother:

• Home Economics
  • Fantasy Literature
  • Psychology
  • German III
  • Visual Arts - painting and sculpting.  She also started an online business selling her artwork.

We school year-round, so that takes us to December.  She is also running track & field for the first time ever this year (which makes me so happy, because this is the first time she has been able to do a sport in two years since our accident/surgery). 

She is also taking the SAT for the first time in May, which I am excited about, because she is regularly getting close to a perfect score on the English practice tests (Thank-you, WTM!!!!!).  I think she is going to rock the SAT.

Isn't is awesome? Mine got a 98 percentile on her PSAT English, but hasn't taken her actual SAT yet either. We are practicing for the ACT right now. I hear you on the unteachable. I had a less than fun driving practice with mine last night. 🙂

• Like 1

On 2/19/2019 at 1:21 AM, Joyful said:

AP Chem - PA Homeschoolers or Chem Advantage?

I think they are the same thing.

On 2/19/2019 at 11:44 AM, beckyjo said:

My oldest will be a senior - Dear Lord, I swear I am not that old!!

See, I feel that old. Obviously, I am that old.  (Mine is a senior this year but if she had gone to brick & mortar schools, she would be a senior next year because she wouldn't have made the date cut off except in California.)

• 2 months later...

I just enrolled dd for the last exams next year.

I have to write a homeschooling plan for next year according the law. For the moment I have 4 subjects: math, sciences, history, Latin,

everything else has been passed this year... after years with 4-8 pages full of text it feels odd to have max. 2 with almost 1 page of text. 

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 7:52 AM, Evanthe said:

• Home Economics
  • Fantasy Literature
  • Psychology
  • German III

I'd like to see more information on what you are calling "Fantasy Literature"!!  That sounds amazing.

Dd and I finally talked about next yr.   These are our tentative plans:

Cal (Thinkwell)

Macro and micro (Thinkwell)

Last 1/3 of world history ( been doing 1/3 per year the past 2 yrs)

Finishing German 3 and German 4

A homebrewed ecology course

Haven't decided on lit, yet.  But just having decided on the others is a step forward.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, 8FillTheHeart said:

Cal (Thinkwell)

Haven't decided on lit, yet.  But just having decided on the others is a step forward.

wouldn’t you mind sharing what you have used for world history? If it’s a large list of resources, then perhaps the core books/teaching company courses/series? 

17 hours ago, Genevieve said:

wouldn’t you mind sharing what you have used for world history? If it’s a large list of resources, then perhaps the core books/teaching company courses/series? 

She has been reading her way through this series of Time Life books https://www.amazon.com/Time-Life-Frame-25/dp/B000LTUVTK interspersed with some of the Great Courses lectures like Popes and the Papacy, Western Civ, and Middle Ages.

• Like 1

we've finally more or less decided. still can't believe i'll have a senior, who's now almost 17. (jaw dropping) i remember homeschooling K to him... he's my oldest 🙂

1. ENGLISH - AP ENG LIT (PAH)
2. MATH - AP CALC BC (KHAN ACADEMY/SELF STUDY)
3. SCIENCE - AP PHYSICS C (PHYSICS-PREP)
4. HISTORY - HON WORLD HISTORY (KHAN ACADEMY)
5. LANGUAGE - HON SPANISH 4 (HSA)
6. ELECTIVE - FINE ARTS
INTRO TO PHOTOGRAPHY & INTRO TO PHOTOSHOP (FUNDAFUNDA)
7. ELECTIVE - AP PSYCHOLOGY (PAH) - maybe - might stick with 6 credits.

he needs the outsourcing, but trying to keep it cost-effective this year. he's had a big year of tests (PSAT 1x, SAT 2x & ACT 1x) so next year will be blessedly test-free. 1500 SAT/35 ACT very happy camper! but may still re-take the SAT in august ahead of school starting to boost his score a bit, we'll see.

Edited by mirabillis
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mirabillis said:

we've finally more or less decided. still can't believe i'll have a senior, who's now almost 17. (jaw dropping) i remember homeschooling K to him... he's my oldest 🙂

1. ENGLISH - AP ENG LIT (PAH)
2. MATH - AP CALC BC (KHAN ACADEMY/SELF STUDY)
3. SCIENCE - AP PHYSICS C (PHYSICS-PREP)
4. HISTORY - HON WORLD HISTORY (KHAN ACADEMY)
5. LANGUAGE - HON SPANISH 4 (HSA)
6. ELECTIVE - FINE ARTS
INTRO TO PHOTOGRAPHY & INTRO TO PHOTOSHOP (FUNDAFUNDA)
7. ELECTIVE - AP PSYCHOLOGY (PAH) - maybe - might stick with 6 credits.

he needs the outsourcing, but trying to keep it cost-effective this year. he's had a big year of tests (PSAT 1x, SAT 2x & ACT 1x) so next year will be blessedly test-free. 1500 SAT/35 ACT very happy camper! but may still re-take the SAT in august ahead of school starting to boost his score a bit, we'll see.

If he wants to take psych, but you are short on time and Bonnie Gonzalez is still the teacher, he can probably audit the class.  My dd did that and still really enjoyed the class and did well on the exam, without it  being as time-intensive as it is designed to be.

Edited by Mom0012

On 4/26/2019 at 12:53 PM, 8FillTheHeart said:

She has been reading her way through this series of Time Life books https://www.amazon.com/Time-Life-Frame-25/dp/B000LTUVTK interspersed with some of the Great Courses lectures like Popes and the Papacy, Western Civ, and Middle Ages.

Thank you! This is the same boy who enjoyed your recommendations on Chinese history I had asked on your blog. Here’s hoping he will enjoy these resources just as much!

10 hours ago, Mom0012 said:

If he wants to take psych, but you are short on time and Bonnie Gonzalez is still the teacher, he can probably audit the class.  My dd did that and still really enjoyed the class and did well on the exam, without it  being as time-intensive as it is designed to be.

thank you for that!!! i actually emailed her about her class and even asked about the audit as an option. but i didn't really know what the difference was. that sounds so perfect! thank you mom0012. :-))) cost effective too. i reallllly want my dd to take it also (she'll be 10th) but i'm afraid the material is a bit too adult for her. she's a santa-in-her-heart almost-15 year old. i'm thinking maybe junior year for her.

I can't believe she'll be a senior. 😞 

English - She's done!
Science - Human Anatomy & Physiology II (1st semester - CC)
              - Physics at home with labs at the homeschool program
History - Done!
Math - Finish Alg II & Stats (at CC)
Elective - Nutrition (it's a freshman required for Nursing - CC)
Elective - Intro to Soc (CC)
Elective - Fund. of Oral Comm. (CC - needs this to finish the Rhetoric requirement)

She had enough credits to graduate this past year except for Alg. II.  Iowa is a dual enroll state and they cover the costs of CC, so going that route this year. She'll be at home for Physics and math and that's it.  Pretty unbelievable.  But, truly? She's never home now.  Finishing her CNA this month and has already been taking a few classes at CC this year.  Sigh.  I'm still hoping she stays living at home one more year and does CC to Uni route.  Her absence is going to really be felt deeply. 

Senior year !?!? I can't believe we're here already.  He's met almost all of the "required classes", which is nice because it gives us room to switch things up if he wants.  So far the plan is:

Pre-cal TT

British Literature/comp.  Possibly do some more with writing research papers

Government and Econ

Spanish 2

Modern History (1900-present day)- He doesn't need anymore history, so we might not end up doing this

He doesn't need any more electives but we are planning on:

Weight Training (his request, lol)

Possibly another elective like Philosophy (because I think this would be a fun one to do together) or an online one that sounds interesting

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/6/2019 at 12:40 PM, Zoo Keeper said:

Next year's SENIOR! (I wish we still had that fainting emoji...)

Math:  Algebra 2 -- not sure if I'm going to use Lials (since I have it) or Holt (since I have it) or try to find MUS at a decent price.  going with  Tobey Slater Intermediate Algebra

Science:  Hewitt's Conceptual Physics, mom taught.  Still going with this...

History:  my Frankenstein-ed version of SL's American Government core (subbing out quite a few books) and mashing in some of Ambleside Online's Year 12 (Sophie's World and some other goodies..)  Homegrown course "American Government & Society" using BJU's American Government, American Nations, Democracy in America, Who Killed the Constitution, and other bits and pieces from the SL and AO lists.

Lit: culling from SL's list ^ and AO's ^ list, plus what we have around the house.  He has a history, philosophy, and sci fi/fantasy bent, so it will be fun to see what we come up with.  I will probably keep the reading/writing load in literature a little lighter, since he will need more time to chew on the government/philosophy side of things. Still this...

Writing tied to history and lit.   I might throw in a quick grammar refresher course using Warriners.  Warriner's IS happening, along with The Adventure of English

Vocab study using Abeka Spelling Vocab, Poetry, because he likes it. Still this...

Greek 2 , mom taught  Still this...

1/2 credit of Economics -- I have the BJU book, but I'm not sure if it will fit for us.  Still reading and thinking about that one.

1/2 credit of keyboarding/data processing/computer type course...this was slated for this current school year, but got bumped.  Psychology course instead, using Myers book.

Pep Band and Jazz Band at local high school  Still doing this, and add in Jazz Combo as well. 

Cross Country and Indoor Track at local high school  Still doing this, and add in Spring Track as well. 

Continue SAT prep and then THE TEST!     He tested this spring (junior year) so he may or may not take it again depending on scores....  Going to let this one go.  Testing once was not the best, but good enough (ish).

He also works part time and plays music for our church.   Still this as well.

June 2019 edits in purple. 

The summer before senior year is turning out to be a bigger panic (for me) than the summer before freshman year-which was a decent panic.  I'm suddenly keenly aware of all the stuff we *didn't* do. 😞

Writing: 1 credit with Potter's School

Lit: 1 credit @ home.  Ancient lit list on audio + 2 Great Courses.  I hope I'm not doing him a disservice by letting this area be so light.

Math: 1 credit Pre Calc probably at the high school.  I'd appreciate some feedback on this. The PS has a somewhat easy Pre Calc class that I'm pretty sure he can ace (very small school, one high school math teacher, we all know her classes aren't rigorous), but what good will it do him?  He's not going into a STEM field.  He just needs the credit on his transcript.  It feels like cheating to give a credit for Pre Calc that isn't really Pre Calc, you know?  If not PS, then Thinkwell.

Science: 1 credit AP Environmental Science with Potter's School.  He may or may not take the AP exam. I dunno. I'm tired and overwhelmed and not sure I have the energy to make it happen.  There aren't any local places to take the exam.

Elective: Welding at PS

Social Studies: Govt & Econ - not sure where or how.  I like Thinkwell. 

On 4/25/2019 at 6:26 PM, 8FillTheHeart said:

Cal (Thinkwell)

Well, a couple of weeks ago I finished up all of dd's course descriptions, so that means we have planned out her courses. Some of the above hasn't changed (cal, macro/micro, history, and German are the same).  She is not going to take a science next yr.  (She will only have 3 science credits: bio, physics, and chem.) 

She will be taking a philosophy of science and religion course instead. She will be using a couple of Great Courses and will be reading Kreeft's Socrates Meets series and his Pascal Pensees book. 

Her lit class is going to be called Conflict Themes, Society, and the Individual.  She is going to read Paradise Lost, The Time Machine, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, The Everlasting Man, Tale of Two Cities,  Fahrenheit 451. and Othello. 

And she will be completing her third computer science course, C++. (She did Python in 10th and Java this yr) She wants to major in CS.

• Like 1