Menu

Holiday Craft Projects

mumto2

I never start new threads but really would love to see some craft threads on the chat board so giving it a try.  Please be kind!

So this is a thread where everyone can post pictures and share ideas for craft projects they are making this holiday season.  I know we have lots of really creative people here and would love to see what everyone is doing.  The project does not need to be holiday themed just what you are making now. ?

At the moment nothing is finished but I am putting the finishing touches on a Fall themed quilted table cloth which can double as a quilt, if you need an octagon shaped quilt. ?  I will post a picture when the pieces are together.  I have several Christmas gift projects in progress, and plan to knit some tree decorations......

So what is everyone working on?

• Like 4

Here’s my fall tablecloth!   It’s something my kids would have adored 15 years ago and I want to make this Thankgiving look a bit more festive.  I also wanted something that would work for the entire fall season so that it would be used.  Most of the fabric was from my stash so I worked with what was available.   I used some free downloads for the Turkey, Leaf, and Sunflower.  My Hedgehogs are from a Sew Fresh quilts pattern with my Fox being from Elizabeth Hartman’s Fancy Forest pattern.  The challenge was getting them all to fit in my octogonish shape.  I have a few creatures made that aren’t included so will be making a baby quilt soon!

Hopefully this photo post will work.  Looking forward to hearing about what other people are making.  Feel free to post pictures of your kid’s projects too!

52BC720E-AFED-4712-BB80-5DCEE8124AF9.jpeg

1306A51D-E38A-4004-A433-0AB6C8E06F4D.jpeg

Edited by mumto2
  • Like 31

An apron/smock/bib for our granddaughter.  I'm hoping she can slip it on herself (no ties).
It's reversible.  Got the idea from a friend, and online blog help = using 3 fat quarters of fabric.
Last year I made easy bedding for the doll bed her mom used to play with.  ?

EvApron3.jpg

EvApron4.jpg

• Like 25

3 minutes ago, Beth S said:

An apron/smock/bib for our granddaughter.  I'm hoping she can slip it on herself (no ties).
It's reversible.  Got the idea from a friend, and online blog help = using 3 fat quarters of fabric.
Last year I made easy bedding for the doll bed her mom used to play with.  ?

EvApron3.jpg

EvApron4.jpg

So cute!

I love that it has pockets on both sides, your granddaughter will too!

• Like 4

@Margaret in CO I love your American Girl dresses!  Those girls are very lucky.  Are they the same girls who received the dress pictures you posted last summer?

I just spent a couple of hours cutting out pattern pieces for Christmas Reindeer dolls from the late ‘80’s.  I made a set of what my kids called “moose dolls” back then that has been super well loved by many kids as they lived at my house for years before my own little blessings arrived.  Dh wanted them freshened without rips and bulges enough to hunt down a pattern on eBay.  Btw, This is a sweet gift to me, not critical! I starting buying the fabric last week for them and am looking forward to my redo opportunity. They were one of my first sewing projects so hopefully my new models will be significantly better constructed!

McCalls 4532https://moonwishesstore.ecrater.com/p/31568198/mccalls-sewing-pattern-m643-4532-christmas

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

I decided to update one more time.  Please feel free to post any crafty projects you are working on.

I just started a new Christmas themed quilt for the table.   My kids actually decided that it should be fun again so we are having moose,  gnomes, and trees.   I was planning something a bit less busy.  😉  After that’s finished I need to finish up my Christmas present lapquilts for friends.  My reindeer are done and waiting for a Christmas Tree to sit under.   The mama reindeer is my favorite! 

A10C2943-ACA6-4058-ACE2-C3B6248A0A1B.jpeg

695A4456-75F9-4457-A83A-BBCC21B66B6C.jpeg

• Like 24

It's going to be a light year, in terms of handmade gifts, around here. Between work and keeping up with my classes, my energy for crafting is pretty limited. I am trying to make at least one gift for all of the close family members, though. I have one project finished, one almost done and one in the works. Still pondering ideas for two other folks.

I asked both of my kids what their significant others might enjoy having me make for them and have been doing my best to follow those suggestions. My daughter's partner is getting a crocheted beanie. It took me a few attempts to find a yarn that worked in terms of color and softness/stretchiness, but I did finish that over the weekend. My son's girlfriend has recently re-decorated her room and has a big, empty wall she's trying to fill with art. So my son suggested I make one of the collage/painting things I've been making in the last year or so that would be a mash-up of her favorite fandoms. I got inspired and did much of that project over the long weekend, too. All I have left is hand lettering on a quote and putting on a backing/hanger.

For my daughter, I am crocheting an alpaca amigurumi (in honor of her current dream of owning a little hobby farm and keeping a couple of alpacas as pets and sources of cruelty-free sweater material). I've finished all four legs, but then needed a break from crocheting and had to switch back to focusing on work and school assignments.

I'm still looking for ideas for my son and my husband. For my son, I will probably make him a dice bag to go with the gaming kit my husband is assembling for him, but that doesn't feel personal or "big" enough compared to what I'm doing for the others. And I haven't yet settled on an idea I like for my husband, either. Still, I feel like I am in pretty decent shape to have two of my five theoretical projects done or close to it before December even begins.

• Like 9

I have absolutely NO projects in progress. 😐 But I wish I did! It has been years since I've been organized enough to attempt crafting, but I am very aware of how much I miss having a creative outlet. So I appreciate this thread!!! It's encouraging to me to see other people's projects.

Things I would like to try - small crochet or cross stitch projects, maybe. Scarves? Personal ornaments? Heatable rice/corn filled hand warmers? I like the idea of a dice bag for the gamers on my list. 

I should really be able to do this now that my youngest is 13, right?!

Thank you for the thread!

• Like 3

I read this thread last night and it was inspiring. I'm currently sewing some basic covers for my couch pillows in plaids. I think I will do one of those dear with antler appliques on one.  I may also make a simple table runner.

I am planning to make a bag for each of the kids for music books.  Just something simple, but I need to check to see if I have enough liner fabric in my stash.

Making is a big part of our Christmas tradition around here.  Last night Dd17 and I cruised through Pinterest to look for gift ideas for her siblings and friends and we came up with a few things for both her and her brother to make!!

If I get anything done, I'll try to remember to post here!

• Like 5

On 11/27/2018 at 10:32 PM, mumto2 said:

I decided to update one more time.  Please feel free to post any crafty projects you are working on.

I just started a new Christmas themed quilt for the table.   My kids actually decided that it should be fun again so we are having moose,  gnomes, and trees.   I was planning something a bit less busy.  😉  After that’s finished I need to finish up my Christmas present lapquilts for friends.  My reindeer are done and waiting for a Christmas Tree to sit under.   The mama reindeer is my favorite! 

A10C2943-ACA6-4058-ACE2-C3B6248A0A1B.jpeg

I just love these!!! 💖 I am a sucker for animals in clothes. :) 

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 4

I would like to knit DH a pair of socks.  He would like either 100% wool socks or some combination of wool and cotton, but I can't seem to find decent ones on the internet (warm enough/thick enough).  I bought a great pair on Etsy but she is now out of business.  Everything seems to have some nylon or acrylic.

So anyway, I know how to knit, technically.  I think it would take me approx. 40 hours to knit a pair of socks.  

• Like 7

About the last set:

The lower Peace in Earth in light blue is one of my favorite cards ever. I just LOVE the sentiment and the image is so pretty with the animals and poinsettias and snowflakes...

Ive had the stamp set for a couple years and couldn't do a good layout for anything. Then I tried the technique of coloring directly into rubber and it turned out so beuatiful!

I did the 2 different color schemes and the light blue horrified my family! LOL! I did ask their opinions...they usually like most of what I do...except when I do muted, non-traditional Christmas colors. DH called them old lady colors!

• Like 6

1 hour ago, unsinkable said:

About the last set:

The lower Peace in Earth in light blue is one of my favorite cards ever. I just LOVE the sentiment and the image is so pretty with the animals and poinsettias and snowflakes...

Ive had the stamp set for a couple years and couldn't do a good layout for anything. Then I tried the technique of coloring directly into rubber and it turned out so beuatiful!

I did the 2 different color schemes and the light blue horrified my family! LOL! I did ask their opinions...they usually like most of what I do...except when I do muted, non-traditional Christmas colors. DH called them old lady colors!

That one is my favorite, although it's hard to choose because they are all gorgeous. You are very talented!

• Like 5

8 hours ago, unsinkable said:

About the last set:

I actually like the light blue best! It looks wintry, natural, and modern. Old lady colors - not at all! 😄

• Like 7

16 hours ago, moonflower said:

I would like to knit DH a pair of socks.  He would like either 100% wool socks or some combination of wool and cotton, but I can't seem to find decent ones on the internet (warm enough/thick enough).  I bought a great pair on Etsy but she is now out of business.  Everything seems to have some nylon or acrylic.

So anyway, I know how to knit, technically.  I think it would take me approx. 40 hours to knit a pair of socks.  

40 hours or not, I'm impressed that you can knit! My oldest dd taught herself to knit a number of years ago, and she has taught me at least half a dozen times. I completely forget how EVERY SINGLE TIME. I managed to complete a narrow scarf by working on it non-stop for 3 days, and I am pretty certain that will be my only knitted accomplishment! 

Good luck with the socks!

• Like 4

I knitted about half of a fingerless glove and got so frustrated that I shipped the whole thing, still on the needles, with balls of yarn attached, to someone from the Etsy forums.  What they did with it I have no idea, I just wanted to not see knitting needles again for a long time.

So I am not sure if that means I can knit or not.  Technically, yes.  Would I have the patience for two entire socks?  Hard to say 🙂

• Like 4

Anyone want to help me brainstorm?

I need to bring an ornament for a grab bag-type exchange during our holiday party at work. No specifics, except that I can't spend more than $15. Some people will purchase an ornament, but a few of us plan to make something. 

I'm known at work as "the crochet person," so it would kind of make sense to go that route, but I haven't yet hit on an idea or found a pattern that inspires me. I have a couple of weeks to get this done; however, I happen to have the night mostly off from school and thought it might be cool to get a start.

If I do crochet, I really want to make something genuinely pretty and artsy, steering away from anything that reinforces the "things your grandmother crocheted" stereotype.

I do other kinds of crafting, too, but nothing at an especially proficient level. I have been doing a lot of collage work in the last couple of years, so I have considered buying a blank papier mache ball ornament at Michael's and embellishing it with collage and paint. It doesn't feel like "enough" somehow, though, and I can't yet visualize anything about design or theme.

So hit me, folks -- What should I make?

• Like 2

When I did a quick search for crochet ornaments I came across these light bulbs which I think are really cute! I think anything with modern colors gets you away from the grandma look.

I’m no help with other ideas, I enjoy crafting but tend to be better at modifying the ideas other people originated.

oops, forgot the link: http://www.diyhowto.org/diy-crochet-christmas-ornament-free-patterns/

1 hour ago, Jenny in Florida said:

Anyone want to help me brainstorm?

I need to bring an ornament for a grab bag-type exchange during our holiday party at work. No specifics, except that I can't spend more than $15. Some people will purchase an ornament, but a few of us plan to make something. 

I'm known at work as "the crochet person," so it would kind of make sense to go that route, but I haven't yet hit on an idea or found a pattern that inspires me. I have a couple of weeks to get this done; however, I happen to have the night mostly off from school and thought it might be cool to get a start.

If I do crochet, I really want to make something genuinely pretty and artsy, steering away from anything that reinforces the "things your grandmother crocheted" stereotype.

I do other kinds of crafting, too, but nothing at an especially proficient level. I have been doing a lot of collage work in the last couple of years, so I have considered buying a blank papier mache ball ornament at Michael's and embellishing it with collage and paint. It doesn't feel like "enough" somehow, though, and I can't yet visualize anything about design or theme.

Edited by Rachel
  • Like 5

I make my nieces (4) and nephews (2) hats and scarfs for Christmas each year. So I've started knitting those. I'm midway through the first one so I need to get some power knitting done. I also try to knit sweaters for my 3 adult daughters. I've got 2 basically done (I've got to block and weave in ends.) and 1 to go. I've also knitted my oldest an afghan for her apartment. I love making handmade gifts for the holidays.

• Like 5

16 hours ago, mumto2 said:

Not crochet but Scandinavian Fabric Stars are a fun ornament to make.  I seem to need to review every year and have this tutorial bookmarked from last year https://craftingarainbow.wordpress.com/2015/12/06/scandinavian-fabric-stars/

I like those! I've made them from paper, but I never thought to make them from fabric! 

• Like 3

Not sure if it will actually happen since I have been consumed by other things lately, but I would like to make a Frozen quilt or blanket for the little girl my niece is adopting.  She is Frozen crazy and I thought that something cozy she can wrap herself up in would make a nice welcome -to- the -family -first -Christmas gift.

ETA: If anybody has ideas on how I can do this quickly since I am a notoriously slow crafter, I sure would appreciate it.

Edited by stephanier.1765
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, stephanier.1765 said:

Not sure if it will actually happen since I have been consumed by other things lately, but I would like to make a Frozen quilt or blanket for the little girl my niece is adopting.  She is Frozen crazy and I thought that something cozy she can wrap herself up in would make a nice welcome -to- the -family -first -Christmas gift.

ETA: If anybody has ideas on how I can do this quickly since I am a notoriously slow crafter, I sure would appreciate it.

A friend bought a fabric panel and did some embellishment (I know she stitched around each figure) and added a coordinating border for her granddaughter a couple of years ago.  It was really pretty.

I also think I have seen Frozen fabric books.  You could see if you could cut them apart, add borders, and sew them back together.  Something like this......http://cluckclucksew.com/2017/06/a-pokey-puppy-quilt.html

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Garga said:

Well, I was going to post that I’m going to put red and green glitter glue on some pinecones I collected last year, but then I saw the caliber of what everyone else is doing and I had to giggle at my glitter pinecones.  🙂

All projects are welcome!  I fully admit to being an over enthusiastic crafter this year.... I am experiencing a mid life crafting crisis.....otherwords I am entertaining myself with my sewing machine. 😉 I like pine cones,  are they going on the tree or in a bowl? Or someplace else?

• Like 2

On 11/30/2018 at 9:03 PM, mumto2 said:

Not crochet but Scandinavian Fabric Stars are a fun ornament to make.  I seem to need to review every year and have this tutorial bookmarked from last year https://craftingarainbow.wordpress.com/2015/12/06/scandinavian-fabric-stars/

7 hours ago, Shelly said:

I like those! I've made them from paper, but I never thought to make them from fabric! 

That might be a good pattern for this year's origami (ish) photo ornament.  I started doing it a few years ago - picking a simple origami pattern and photoshopping a photo collage so that, when printed, I could fold the photo paper into the ornament and have the pictures all end up right where they should on the finished product.  It's not easy to find a pattern, because photo paper doesn't work for anything but the simplest origami.  I did a six-pointed star the first year (using six different strips of paper), holly leaves the next, and a Christmas tree last year.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, stephanier.1765 said:

I'm guessing there is Frozen fleece that you could use to make a no sew tied blanket.  There are also tied fleece pillows.

I prefer one layer of fleece.  You can cut the fringe and tie the fringe together two at a time or I've seen a style that gives like a braided edge.

• Like 6

On 11/30/2018 at 6:09 PM, Jenny in Florida said:

It's not a free pattern, but I just love this. https://www.lovecrochet.com/us/snow-globe-christmas-ornament-crochet-pattern-by-amy-gaines

• Like 4

I just read this blog post and thought it was really interesting.  The tree ornaments are pretty and apparently traditional Irish.  If you follow the link in the blog post there are some fairly basic crochet snowflake patterns that I might be able to manage ( and I find crochet to be hard!).  http://www.mudpiesandpins.com/2018/12/a-handmade-christmas-liberty-tree-ornaments/

• Like 2

On 12/1/2018 at 6:33 PM, Garga said:

Well, I was going to post that I’m going to put red and green glitter glue on some pinecones I collected last year, but then I saw the caliber of what everyone else is doing and I had to giggle at my glitter pinecones.  🙂

You and I should craft together.  😃

• Like 4

I just discovered a really pretty English Paper Pieced ornament pattern that is currently free from a blogger I follow.  It’s fussy but we have done similar at the patchwork group I belong to in England and they look so lovely when all done.  I need to buy some beads but think I will try one.  http://www.mudpiesandpins.com/2018/12/a-handmade-christmas-beaded-epp-ornaments/ 

• Like 3

On 11/30/2018 at 4:44 PM, moonflower said:

I knitted about half of a fingerless glove and got so frustrated that I shipped the whole thing, still on the needles, with balls of yarn attached, to someone from the Etsy forums.  What they did with it I have no idea, I just wanted to not see knitting needles again for a long time.

So I am not sure if that means I can knit or not.  Technically, yes.  Would I have the patience for two entire socks?  Hard to say 🙂

Just wanted to update this thread with the knitting results.  DD13 started a washcloth, knitting two rows, said her fingers hurt and it took 2 hours and she can't possibly knit 2 washcloths and a hat, so I took over.

I knitted one row, which took 45 minutes.

So, I have on offer a pair of knitting needles, the aluminum kind from Wal-Mart, with three rows of 40 cast on stitches in dark blue organic cotton, attached to the rest of the ball of organic cotton.  It's very soft! There are a fair number of skipped stitches in the first three rows, so 3 hours of work nonwithstanding you might just want to rip it out and start over.  I can't bear to.  I also have an entire skein of indigo-dyed 70%Alpaca/30% USA Merino, unused.  We are not going to use it.  We're going to make Christmas candies instead.  You can have that too. ETA by "that" I mean the Alpaca/merino, not the candies!  

Does anyone want these materials, still on the needles?  I will ship it to you for free, just PM me your address.  And hopefully I won't get this stupid idea again for another 5 years.

Edited by moonflower
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

On 11/28/2018 at 9:15 AM, Jenny in Florida said:

My daughter's partner is getting a crocheted beanie. . . . [M]y son suggested I make one of the collage/painting things I've been making in the last year or so that would be a mash-up of [girlfriend's favorite fandoms. . . . For my daughter, I am crocheting an alpaca amigurumi . . .  For my son, I will probably make him a dice bag . . . I haven't yet settled on an idea I like for my husband.

Updated status:

• Crocheted beanie (daughter's partner) - done
  • Collage wall hanging (son's girlfriend) - done
  • Crocheted alpaca (daughter) - still in progress
  • Tartan tie (son) - done
  • Crocheted gingerbread man cookie ornament (for office exchange) - in progress, needs to be done in time for the event on Tuesday
  • Dice bag (son) - fabric and supplies purchased, but I haven't actually started sewing
  • Small collage hanging for my daughter's mid-December birthday - done and mailed and received

Still free of ideas for my husband.

If I have time (ha!), I would like to make two mini-stockings to stuff with token-level gifties for my daughter and her partner.

Edited by Jenny in Florida
  • Like 4

I have had this blanket on the loom since summer; I intended to make it for ds19 when he left for college, but it was too hot to work on it in the summer, so I postponed it for his November birthday...except it wasn’t finished because I was bustin’ out a baby blanket for my great nephew due in November. So, baby born, baby blanket finished, I started working on ds’ blanket again, to finish for Christmas. And, I do believe I can finish for Christmas, but also, why did he have to grow so tall? 

There is another baby due in February, so I do really want to get crackin’ on another heirloom blanket, and now that I set the bar so high with the other great nieces/nephs, I have to find ~ 30 hours to make a blanket par with the others.

But first, to finish that interminable blanket for ds...

FD034FD5-7CCC-4981-8D94-041C57FF7A1D.jpeg

770D166F-2223-402E-AC85-6127D6B3427A.jpeg

• Like 13

Quickly posting this quick sock pattern that I just spotted http://www.molliemakes.com/home/mollies-12-days-of-makes-day-7-knitted-socks/.  It truly appears to be more slipper than sock.........chunky yarn, big needles, and a big seam down the back.  This pattern is only available for free until tomorrow so make sure to download it if you want it.  I don’t knit socks but this pattern is tempting.........

@Quill  your blanket is lovely!  Very masculine,  the boy will love it!

@moonflower Your candy sounds yummy.  Just in case you ever decide you want to knit again,  learning to knit is easier with experienced support.  Those teach yourself books did not work for me.   Maybe a group at a yarn shop or library.  I had an elderly neighbor who saw a great deal of me when I was just starting!  I also had my BF’s mom and her yarn shop buddies.

• Like 2

I finished crocheting the gingerbread ornament last night and decided today to sew a little gift bag in which to package it for the exchange.

Let's see if I can get the photo to show . . .

OCLS Ornament.jpg

Now that I have cleaned off my craft table and set up the sewing machine and gotten into the groove, I'd like to settle in for an evening of sewing and tackle that dice bag. However, my department's holiday potluck/party is tomorrow, so I need to sign and address the cards for my co-workers and make sure my potluck contributions are ready to go.

Edited by Jenny in Florida
  • Like 8

I wanted to make these last year, but time got away from me.  Have all the stuff and everything.  This year, I've been taking care of, packing, and moving my dad the last 3.5 months.  Hoping to find some time this week to finally do them :-).  I thought they would make great gifts -- even for friends if you have pics of their kids!!!

https://ithappensinablink.com/diy-photo-block-ornaments-with-mod-podge-and-plaid-crafts/

Edited by mlktwins
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, mlktwins said:

I wanted to make these last year, but time got away from me.  Have all the stuff and everything.  This year, I've been taking care of, packing, and moving my dad the last 3.5 months.  Hoping to find some time this week to finally do them :-).  I thought they would make great gifts -- even for friends if you have pics of their kids!!!

https://ithappensinablink.com/diy-photo-block-ornaments-with-mod-podge-and-plaid-crafts/

We did something like this a few years ago. We put photos on 2 sides and then put fingerprint snowmen on the other 2 sides (I have 2 kiddos). They still hang on my tree. 

• Like 2