Menu

Old prudish grumpy lady complainy rant

Ginevra

Don’t take this too seriously as a complaint; I’m just a grumpy lady who's about to get part of her boob cut off and I’m fault-finding but...

Why is poop/poop emoji such a thing? Seriously. I was in Michael’s today and there were poop emoji Christmas decorations! Like, little balsam pine poops and little glitter wreath poops and...you name it. I just don’t see why this is a thing. I guess I could kind of see it for some novelty items like little poop stuffies or a poop pencil topper. But Christmas decorations?! ?

• Like 15
  • Thanks 7
  • Haha 1

I'm pretty sure this isn't it, but I have a friend who thought that emoji meant chocolate ice cream.  She was sending it to clients and everything.  ?

I've actually seen some kids choose / appreciate poop emoji novelties as gifts.  I really don't get it either.  Maybe it's supposed to mean "sh!t happens" or something?

• Like 2
  • Haha 12

My understanding is that the original creator did mean for it to be chocolate ice cream.  My 12 yr old loves all things poop emoji she has the wall stickers all over her room.  I don't get it they seems to be no deeper meaning just its funny.

11 minutes ago, SKL said:

I'm pretty sure this isn't it, but I have a friend who thought that emoji meant chocolate ice cream.  She was sending it to clients and everything.  ?

I've actually seen some kids choose / appreciate poop emoji novelties as gifts.  I really don't get it either.  Maybe it's supposed to mean "sh!t happens" or something?

• Like 1

Here’s a funny thing on the Michaels website: someone was reviewing a poop piniata and was saying basically what I said here and then she laughs and says, haha, the website rejected my review because I called it by the name poop, which it’s called! 

Irony. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

The poop emoji is really dumb, but we did have a little bit of fun with it here at our house. My ds18 was grumbling about the annoying proliferation of the poop emoji. So naturally, when his siblings and I were at the store and saw poop emoji helium balloons for sale, we had to purchase two of them and tape them to the headboard of his bed as a surprise. ?He thought it was funny and ended up leaving them there for months until they withered away.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I don't see it as prudish exactly. But it just disgusts and baffles me.  To me, it is just more vulgarization of our culture, like poop and fart jokes in movies. It's just not funny to me. I realize that I am not the target demographic, which I guess must be 8 year old boys.  Why adults promote it is beyond me.  

• Like 14

28 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

I saw a poop emoji cup

used as a tip jar

at a restaurant. 

That’s like asking for two slices of Miss Minnie’s Special Chocolate Pie! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, Quill said:

Don’t take this too seriously as a complaint; I’m just a grumpy lady who's about to get part of her boob cut off and I’m fault-finding but...

Why is poop/poop emoji such a thing? Seriously. I was in Michael’s today and there were poop emoji Christmas decorations! Like, little balsam pine poops and little glitter wreath poops and...you name it. I just don’t see why this is a thing. I guess I could kind of see it for some novelty items like little poop stuffies or a poop pencil topper. But Christmas decorations?! ?

I'm with you on this.  It's time for the poop emojis to go away already. Ugh.  And spin off merchandise, too.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, SKL said:

My daughter thinks it is chocolate ice cream too. I do not want to disabuse her of the idea

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Seasider too said:

Girl, you are tootin my horn!

No shame, I tell ya, people have no shame. 

But don't mind me, I’m just a fellow old grumpy lady (of the old southern manners variety, which increases my struggle?).

[seriously though, I do abhor it - banned in my house - and I blame it on the whole “prolonged adolescence” culture which finds poop jokes funny into the early 30’s instead of being over it by 6th grade - and the marketers who take advantage of it]

Seasider, who wishes everyone could be happy with quality puns

Early 30's?? I wish. DH is almost 40 and still thinks this crap (pun intended) is funny.

He was practically rolling in the floor when ds8's new robot starting making burp and fart noises. Of course, his brother (40+) and father (a few months shy of 70) also found it hysterical when they came over the next day...?

And no, I definitely would not have bought the robot if I knew it did that!!

• Like 1

LOL about the adults and farts / poop jokes. 

But seriously, I have an old friend who somehow had my work email years ago.  She frequently emailed poop jokes to my email address.  We were both at least 30.  Really? They were not even remotely funny to me and I did not want them in my work inbox!  I finally told my friend that my secretary reads my emails (which was a fib) and got her to stop.

Maybe I should send that friend a poop emoji pillow for Christmas ....

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Quill said:

I think you just made up a new word.   Complainy.  LOL

Add me to the list of old ladies who hate bodily functions humor.  My mom had hemorrhoid surgery and a family with three young girls 12-15  brought her that poop emoji pillow.  They display it prominently on a bench in their hallway.  Ugh!

• Confused 1

I don’t know if this true but googling the meaning, apparently:

Its original meaning: It comes from a symbol that means good luck. It doesn't mean 'here's a pile of poo to make you smile/laugh/cry' it simply means good luck. Because that's what poo means in Japanese culture, apparently.Dec 5, 2014

My in-laws give us weird gifts. The weirdest so far was a little battery operated piece of room decor that was like a mini-bathroom. There were buttons on to to press to make various sounds... flushing and running the faucet were the least objectionable. We never could figure out the point of the thing but I can only conclude that my then 75-ish year old FIL still hadn't gotten over toilet humor. 

I tried to raise my kids not to find that stuff funny. I think I have succeeded though I suppose when my son was in Boy Scouts things were said that would have made me purse my lips primly.  We don't want to be ashamed of bodily functions and the associated sounds, but that doesn't mean it still shouldn't be somewhat private and not a source of laughter.  

• Like 1

Haaaaaate the poo emoji!  I do not get it, and I tend to be proud of my sense of humor.  I have no sense of humor about the poo emoji.  Can’t stand the thing.  Honestly, when people use it/like it, I think to myself they must be a little bit dumb.  Maybe they’re not dumb...but I can’t help but think they are.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Garga said:

Haaaaaate the poo emoji!  I do not get it, and I tend to be proud of my sense of humor.  I have no sense of humor about the poo emoji.  Can’t stand the thing.  Honestly, when people use it/like it, I think to myself they must be a little bit dumb.  Maybe they’re not dumb...but I can’t help but think they are.

If I ever used it it was a mistake....like the time a friend sent a group text to several friends to let isn’t know their young adult son had been in a horrible accident.  I responding with the tears of laughter emoji.  I was so embarrassed......

16 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

If I ever used it it was a mistake....like the time a friend sent a group text to several friends to let isn’t know their young adult son had been in a horrible accident.  I responding with the tears of laughter emoji.  I was so embarrassed......

Oh no! 

1 hour ago, Pen said:

I don’t know if this true but googling the meaning, apparently:

Its original meaning: It comes from a symbol that means good luck. It doesn't mean 'here's a pile of poo to make you smile/laugh/cry' it simply means good luck. Because that's what poo means in Japanese culture, apparently.Dec 5, 2014

In a very tangential way, I can see this possibility. 

In France, when people are going on stage, the customary way to wish them luck is to say the French equivalent of the profane word for poop. In the same way we say, “break a leg,” they say the profane word for poo. So - maybe? ??‍♀️

24 minutes ago, perkybunch said:

I don't have poo Christmas ornaments, but we do have a special poop emoji pillow in my dd's room.  A nice lady at the Children's Hospital gave it to my dd after spinal fusion surgery, where once pain control is achieved, they focus on asking if you're still constipated.  For days.

Now see this example has real meaning.   A bonding token for your dd  to remember. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Garga said:

No, they are. They’re just dumb. I said it. I believe it. Nobody had better tell me how brilliant their kid is because geniuses can have flashes of stupid. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, perkybunch said:

I don't have poo Christmas ornaments, but we do have a special poop emoji pillow in my dd's room.  A nice lady at the Children's Hospital gave it to my dd after spinal fusion surgery, where once pain control is achieved, they focus on asking if you're still constipated.  For days.

A kid at my son’s summer camp had an “I pooped today” t-shirt.  I still believe it’s dumb that this exists BUT, at MDA camp, a nurse comes around to every camper and ASKS if They moved their bowels that day and writes in her chart. In that context you almost have to have a sense of humor about things to survive. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

A kid at my son’s summer camp had an “I pooped today” t-shirt.  I still believe it’s dumb that this exists BUT, at MDA camp, a nurse comes around to every camper and ASKS if They moved their bowels that day and writes in her chart. In that context you almost have to have a sense of humor about things to survive. 

In that context, I probably would crack a smile. Or maybe if Grandpa wore one at the senior center. ?

• Like 1

I have NO idea why kids think it's funny or want to own anything resembling poop.  Poor taste, like lots of the humor in newer movies.

Yes, this prudy old lady prefers old humor like was found in movies many years ago.  I may be old, but even my son--who's almost 25-- agreed with me that the old humor was still funny when rewatched, unlike the newer coarse humor.

• Like 1

I seem to remember Beavis and Butthead and some gross stuff in the movie American Pie ... neither of which I could ever stand, but yeah, it's not new ....

My mom told me that when my grandpa was young in like 1900, he and his friends made a recording of a "farting contest."  My mom recalled some of the lines, e.g., "Aww he sh!t!  Disqualified!"  So yeah ... in fact, when I was in college, I had to read a stupid gross book called the Satyricon which dates back to the 1st century.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Quill said:

In a very tangential way, I can see this possibility. 

In France, when people are going on stage, the customary way to wish them luck is to say the French equivalent of the profane word for poop. In the same way we say, “break a leg,” they say the profane word for poo. So - maybe? ??‍♀️

That French word is used in that way in the U.S. in the professional ballet world. I thought it was such a pretty, classy sounding wish for a great performance. I was quite surprised when I found out the meaning!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, iamonlyone said:

That French word is used in that way in the U.S. in the professional ballet world. I thought it was such a pretty, classy sounding wish for a great performance. I was quite surprised when I found out the meaning!

Yes the French language - you could cuss someone out and tell them they are a fool and they kiss dogs for money and it sounds like you’re quoting some beautiful classical literature. 

• Like 1