Menu

weather and mood

ktgrok

It's raining and gloomy. Again. Y'all, I'm dying here. I can't get motivated to do anything. I'm in a fog. No amount of coffee fixes it. What's ridiculous is the few days we do have sun I CAN function. But SAD doesn't work that way, does it? Like, one day of sun shouldn't instantly make me feel better, should it? Is this all in my head? Or could it be the barometric pressure, not the light? I'm hoping it is the light because I ordered a SAD light that is coming today and I want that to work!

And to make this even more pathetic, I live in Florida. I'm not up in the great north or whatever. But when I was growing up here January was gorgeous. Blue skies and sunshine, just chilly sometimes. This is the second winter where it has just been GLOOMY and I can not handle it. I want to cry. I've found myself desperately checking the weather, it's insane. 

I'm I crazy?

Sometimes it does work that way. Winter is soooo hard for me. It's like there is this huge gray blanket that is suffocating the life out of everything. A sunny day does wonders for me. I have a lamp and it helps a little. We've also replaced a lot of our light bulbs with the full spectrum ones. It really made a difference at first, but it seems to have worn off.

• Like 1

I'd think about possible physical causes which are just exacerbated by gloomy weather. 

have you checked your vit d & b12?  I did read recently that some fair skinned people were low on d even in sunny climates because of the (real) skin cancer risk and sunscreen use... it was reported as a bit of a paradox that people in the north sometimes had better vit d stores because we knew we had to supplement... 

and b12 deficiency crops up a lot in middle age + I think GI surgery also increases risk & it also makes people feel sluggish and crappy. 

I actually hate sun in the winter. It's so low on the horizon here that it just shoots straight into your eyeball and triggers instant headaches for me.  My work area is near a  south facing window and in the winter all the leaves on our trees are gone & when the sun comes out it makes my workspace totally unusable with the glare. I'm always grumbling on sunny days in the winter lol....Luckily it's raining today :D 

• Like 1

The sun keeps trying to come out here on the coast but then it goes back in again. It's been like this for several days and I hate it! Us Floridians just weren't built for clouds that hang around for more than an hour.

Seriously! A 2 hour rainstorm with sun the rest of the day is what I'm used to. This...this is killing me. If this light doesn't work I'm going to have to look into antidepressants I think. 

• Like 1

I'd think about possible physical causes which are just exacerbated by gloomy weather. 

have you checked your vit d & b12?  I did read recently that some fair skinned people were low on d even in sunny climates because of the (real) skin cancer risk and sunscreen use... it was reported as a bit of a paradox that people in the north sometimes had better vit d stores because we knew we had to supplement... 

and b12 deficiency crops up a lot in middle age + I think GI surgery also increases risk & it also makes people feel sluggish and crappy. 

I actually hate sun in the winter. It's so low on the horizon here that it just shoots straight into your eyeball and triggers instant headaches for me.  My work area is near a  south facing window and in the winter all the leaves on our trees are gone & when the sun comes out it makes my workspace totally unusable with the glare. I'm always grumbling on sunny days in the winter lol....Luckily it's raining today :D

I am overdue for lab work, so it's possible. But about 9 months ago I had some done (while also feeling this way) and levels were decent. Not my highest, but above 30 for D and in the top of the range for B12. That said, i've been a bit slack on supplementing, so have increased that. So maybe. But that wouldn't explain why a sunny day helped so much, would it?

SaveSave

• Like 1

I'm sorry you are feeling bad. :grouphug:  I have realized that I seem to have the opposite of SAD. I enjoy a sunny day well enough, but if I don't have enough rainy, gloomy days, I feel the effects. The rain makes me relax and feel less stressed.

I'm like this too! Too much heat and sun makes me feel like a dried out (stressed out) lizard. I LOVE cloudy, rainy days!

Not a whole month of them, though. That happened a few years ago and that was too much even for me.

• Like 2

I am overdue for lab work, so it's possible. But about 9 months ago I had some done (while also feeling this way) and levels were decent. Not my highest, but above 30 for D and in the top of the range for B12. That said, i've been a bit slack on supplementing, so have increased that. So maybe. But that wouldn't explain why a sunny day helped so much, would it?

SaveSave

Over 30 for D is barely acceptable and that level would have went down on its own with the fall and winter, and if you've been slacking supplementing too it is probably really in the toilet now.

When we moved from FL to Northern California, I struggled way more than I thought possible with the lack of sunshine. A lot of my FL friends have been bemoaning the weather lately. 

I can only suggest taking vitamin D and getting out for walks.

Oh, and buying appropriate clothing if needed! DH and I realized a few weeks in that part of what was making us miserable was that our FL wardrobe was seriously lacking for NorCal weather. It's amazing how much better you feel when you have enough layers, good socks, warm shoes, scarves, hats, etc. It may seem like a waste, but you might need a small winter wardrobe upgrade.

• Like 2

Over 30 for D is barely acceptable and that level would have went down on its own with the fall and winter, and if you've been slacking supplementing too it is probably really in the toilet now.

I should have clarified I was slacking when it was last tested..and now, lol. When I'm good about supplementing it's between 40 and 50, closer to 50. Without it is closer to 30. 

Just took my D :)

When we moved from FL to Northern California, I struggled way more than I thought possible with the lack of sunshine. A lot of my FL friends have been bemoaning the weather lately. 

I've always thought I'd love the atmosphere of living in the PNW but don't think I could handle the gloominess. When my dil's sister moved back to Florida from Seattle she said sunshine was the thing she missed most, after family.

I do react to weather, too, but I also find that aside from light (which becomes an issue in the long term, but shouldn't really make a big difference for a few isolated days), it is the lack of outside exercise that puts me in a funk. When I make the effort to walk or hike in gloomy weather or rain, it always lifts my mood. It's the sitting at home in gloomy weather that makes me feel depressed.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 3

The PNW gray rain only gets to me when it lingers long into spring or the start of summer. It's what we're SUPPOSED to have in January, so no problem! It was pouring this morning and it made me a little giddy because I don't have to go anywhere today. I spent a cozy morning doing a lot of scrapbooking and it was lovely. But by March, everyone wants to see the sun once in awhile. In the really depressingly cold, wet years, we might not see it much in March and April (ahem, 2017--remembering you!), and that just gets hard.

I do react to weather, too, but I also find that aside from light (which becomes an issue in the long term, but shouldn't really make a big difference for a few isolated days), it is the lack of outside exercise that puts me in a funk. When I make the effort to walk or hike in gloomy weather or rain, it always lifts my mood. It's the sitting at home in gloomy weather that makes me feel depressed.

Hmm..I've tried indoor exercise and it doesn't help but admit I didn't try outdoor time despite the gloom. Although I spent an hour at the dog park today in drizzling rain and was still in a funk today.

Hmm..I've tried indoor exercise and it doesn't help but admit I didn't try outdoor time despite the gloom. Although I spent an hour at the dog park today in drizzling rain and was still in a funk today.

indoor exercise does absolutely zero for me. Puts me in a worse mood, if anything.

For me, it's about being, and moving, in nature.

Sorry to hear you feel like that.

It works like that for me. We actually had a winter tropical holiday this year in the month it normally rains for about four weeks straight. I skipped that whole winter slump. I think we are going to try do that again as it worked so well.

Of course heat doesn't do wonders for me either though I'm better with air con. And I've learned to an on late nights early mornings and a quick sleep after lunch for the hot days.

And windy days tend to trigger anxiety so ya know. I'm a bundle of joy all round!

I am going through the same thing exactly and I'm also in Florida. There are a ton of the things I need to be doing to prepare for my son's wedding but I feel so down and unmotivated. I feel broken. Then, like you said, the sun came out this morning and I jumped right up from my chair and got quite a few things done.

Ugh! I hate this. I would never survive in the north. There is so much to do and I'm so disappointed in myself at the lack of things I've accomplished.

The sun came out this afternoon and it is like a light switch flips in my mind. Life is worth living again.

This is me, too. I used to like cloudy days until I hit my mid-40's and now I get depressed and lethargic when the sun isn't shining. I got a Verilux light and sitting in front of it does help a bit.

Seriously! A 2 hour rainstorm with sun the rest of the day is what I'm used to. This...this is killing me. If this light doesn't work I'm going to have to look into antidepressants I think. 

I'm already on antidepressants and taking B12 and I'm still struggling with this gloom. It's nice to know I'm not alone and quietly going crazy.

I'm already on antidepressants and taking B12 and I'm still struggling with this gloom. It's nice to know I'm not alone and quietly going crazy.

Same! maybe it is worse because as Floridians we are used to so much slime? It almost feels claustrophobic with all the cloud cover.

• Like 1

Oh my goodness, this light is my new best friend!!!!!! It's working!!!!! I actually am getting things done! And not overdosing on caffeine! I got the lightphoria one on Amazon...$39.99 and 10,000 lux. Love it. I use it for 30 minutes in the morning, and another 15 around noon or so. And got out today for some fresh air, even though it was yucky. 

I DO think whomever said that outdoor time is part of the problem was right. I do need it, but I need the light too. Two separate issues I think. 

• Like 1