Menu

Meet my new best friend Alexa!

xixstar

Oh my, I am in that infatuation stage of a new relationships and setting all kinds of foundations for a solid, life-long, fulfilling relationship. 

I knew nothing about the Amazon Echo/Echo Dot until late December but a friend mentioned maybe getting a second one for her kid and how much she used the one she had.

I looked into it and thought it might be a good gift for me but I was doubtful - my friend talked about the timers and reminders and I thought "well my phone can do that too" but it's not the same at all. 

But then I learned that it can call my phone and that sold me. We don't have a land line and one child has been wanting to stay home alone, she is old enough and responsible enough, but without a phone to call me if she needed me, I wasn't comfortable with the idea. We have old cell phones she can make emergency calls, but I wanted to be able to call me. So - I was sold on giving it a try.

So the Echo Dot arrived the day after Christmas and I have been falling more and more every single day. 

First up - the greatest thing is that I have enjoyed every single cup of tea that I have made since she arrived -- this is monumental. No more finding a forgotten cup of tea in the kitchen, or finding a cold cup sitting right next to me, and no more long-gone-cold kettle sitting on the counter. 

Now when I want to make tea, I talk to Alexa first: "Alexa, set timer for 4 minutes. Alexa, set a timer for 7 minutes. Alexa, set a time for 14 minutes." I learned to not just set one timer - because then I would still forget a part of the process. So now, 4 minutes is enough time for the kettle to boil. 7 minutes is enough time for my tea to steep for 3 minutes. 12 minutes allow me to set my tea aside for a few minutes before drinking, because it's often too hot right away.  

Okay -- so maybe that is trivial for many people, but I love my hot tea and was forever forgetting it. 

So lets go on to how it's helping my daily routines. Here are some of the reminders I have set as various times during the day:

- wake up kids: I would often get engrossed in a project and forget to wake everyone on time
 - complete morning chores
 - get ready for the bus

- what's for dinner?

- school is out: gives me warning kids will be home soon
 - complete afternoon chores:  I love that it's no longer me reminding my kids. 

- don't forget to cook dinner

- is your homework done?

- take the trash out: on trash day only

- bedtime is coming:*

- family reading time

- all screens off in 15: for my bedtime routine

- get ready for bed

*I used to have a bedtime reminder on my phone and it would start drama because it always caught kids unexpectedly. Now I have a reminder 30 minutes before "get ready for bed" so kids can wrap things up, get a snack if they need it, remember that homework assignment they forgot!

I still keep three alarms on my phone: wake up, watch for the bus and kid's bedtime, since those cannot be missed and I might not be in the same room as Alexa when the reminder goes off.

Sometimes if we're not within earshot. the reminder will get missed; it chimes on for a set period of time but will give up on you after a bit. I still get an alert on my phone that I can see, so that is helpful too.

Other fun Echo perks:

My kids love talking to Alexa and asking all sorts of questions.

Alexa helps with simple math questions or spelling something (we added Slow Speller skill because the default spelling is too fast for my kids). I've also noticed that while doing homework, my kids will ask her what a word means -- I'm guessing that before they would just skip over knowing what it meant. 

Kids love being able to play music - until now they've been limited to when I'm around to use pandora on my phone. Alexa even plays the song you request. I really should learn more about Amazon music which it's attached to.

So yeah, I'm completely in love with this thing. I have tasks I keep putting off and keep setting a reminder for so many hours later (or the next day) to do it and find that I actually do it! 

Getting items added to the to-do list or shopping list will eventually be helpful, but I haven't gotten into a habit of using those yet. 

Yes, it is a lot of reminders - but I both thrive on routine and struggle to maintain routines. So, it is the perfect tool to help me stay focused. 

I just wanted to share, but I am always looking for detailed statements of how people use their devices. I'll happily update this after I have used this for a couple months ("Alexa, set reminder for March 1st at 10am.... Update WTM on our relationship") to see if the infatuation lasts. 

My only complaint:

Alexa spells my daughter's name wrong -- it's a common variation of a name but I wish I could edit it somewhere because it it my only complaint about the Echo.

• Like 12

Wow, I'll have to look into some of this.  How do you get it to call your cell phone?  I only use mine to play music.  I'm sure there's so much more I could be doing with it!

umm, I think I had to do something with the app first? I don't remember -- it wants to connect to my address book and I won't let it. So right now it can just call me as I'm the registered user for it, I think.  I need to figure out how to let it call DH and DS without giving it access to contacts. 

It can also send text messages  from echo to the app, it'll transcribe a spoken message but you can also play the audio too - nice if playing audio isn't an option for you or when alexa totally misunderstands your kid.   

You can text back messages too ... I'm finding that less successful for my kids because it's hard to notice that you have a message and if someone comes in and asks Alexa a question before noticing the color has changed to indicate a message, then they miss it completely.  But I may need to play with that more. 

Another neat (kinda) feature is that you can "drop in" on the device and start listen through it (like a baby monitor?) -- part of me thinks that is totally creepy - but honestly, I find it useful too. My kids don't know it can do that and I haven't told them yet, lol. It will chime when it's activated, my kids just haven't figured out what that chime means, they think it's a message and you can talk and be heard, or just throw it on mute and be a creepy stalker person. Still a little unsure on this feature, kinda creepy but kinda neat too.

• Like 3

We are well past the honeymoon stage and still in love with Alexa. Like all relationships, we occasionally get annoyed with her but she gets used every day by one or more of us. We have an Echo in the family room, a Dot in our bedroom and a Dot in ds' room. We use the bedroom ones for alarms, and ds sets reminders for himself on his. I use it for timers more than anyone else, and we all use reminders. We play music, ask for the weather report, listen to news, and when I'm home alone I have her play my current Audible book. We have her add appointments to our calendar. No more losing the reminder cards from the doctor. 

Oh, and when ds has his door shut and headphones on because he's gaming I can call him on his Dot. He hears that more easily than his phone or a knock on the door.

Welcome! You have been assimilated.

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 1

Kids love being able to play music - until now they've been limited to when I'm around to use pandora on my phone. Alexa even plays the song you request. I really should learn more about Amazon music which it's attached to.

Getting items added to the to-do list or shopping list will eventually be helpful, but I haven't gotten into a habit of using those yet.

We play Amazon Prime music as well as Pandora and Sirius XM (subscription required but we already had it). It can also play iheartmusic, and probably others too. 

I forgot to mention it in my post but yes, we use the shopping list all the time. I have several - grocery, Sams, household. We have a magnetic white board on the fridge but it didn't always get used. Now it's so easy to just say, "Alexa, add cat food to my shopping list". When I'm at the store, I just open the app and there's my list. I used to try and find the perfect app (Remember the Milk vs. Google Tasks or Keep vs. a bunch of other shopping apps). No more. I use Alexa exclusively.

• Like 1

We bought my Dad who is on hospice an Echo Dot for Christmas.  My daughter told Alexa to tell him every day at 3:00 p.m. how much he is loved by all of us.   :001_wub:

We also got one for ourselves for Prophet Mohammad's bday, and we love her.  I ask her to play NPR.... to look up stuff, etc.  My DD was excited that Alexa has her own cookie and slime recipes.  She also found out that Alexa will sing you Happy Birthday.

Edited by umsami
  • Like 7

umm, I think I had to do something with the app first? I don't remember -- it wants to connect to my address book and I won't let it. So right now it can just call me as I'm the registered user for it, I think. I need to figure out how to let it call DH and DS without giving it access to contacts.

It can also send text messages from echo to the app, it'll transcribe a spoken message but you can also play the audio too - nice if playing audio isn't an option for you or when alexa totally misunderstands your kid.

You can text back messages too ... I'm finding that less successful for my kids because it's hard to notice that you have a message and if someone comes in and asks Alexa a question before noticing the color has changed to indicate a message, then they miss it completely. But I may need to play with that more.

Another neat (kinda) feature is that you can "drop in" on the device and start listen through it (like a baby monitor?) -- part of me thinks that is totally creepy - but honestly, I find it useful too. My kids don't know it can do that and I haven't told them yet, lol. It will chime when it's activated, my kids just haven't figured out what that chime means, they think it's a message and you can talk and be heard, or just throw it on mute and be a creepy stalker person. Still a little unsure on this feature, kinda creepy but kinda neat too.

Are you telling me when I'm out, I can call the Dot or Echo and talk to my family at home and they can talk back? I don't have data on my phone--would I need data or access to WiFi to use this feature?

At this point, we have an echo in the main living area, and dots in all three occupied bedrooms. Also, we have the lights that can be controlled with Alexa in the bedrooms. The most recent is the dot for DD; with it we have required her to leave her phone at the charging station in the main living area when she heads to bed. Her objections to this based on wanting to play music are now without standing.

DS likes to have Alexa tell him bedtime stories. He also likes the alarm and the timer on the lights to help him get up in the morning, and he can use it to call me when I'm at work, or vice versa.

• Like 2

I had a reminder set to remind me to pick up the dog at doggy daycare. My husband, at work, saw the reminder on his phone and unbeknownst to me added another. So when I got back with the dog Alexa said, "Did you get the hound dog? Alexa does not like hound dog. Hound dog smells of dirt and poop."  For a second I thought she had come to life! Then realized DH had to be behind it.  I died laughing. 

Now, when Tracker does something awful, like rolling in poop, I find myself yelling, "This is why Alexa doesn't like you!"

• Like 10

Are you telling me when I'm out, I can call the Dot or Echo and talk to my family at home and they can talk back? I don't have data on my phone--would I need data or access to WiFi to use this feature?

This feature uses data/interenet - it's not an actual voice call like on a phone or VoIP line.

Well this thread is making me think that maybe I need a Dot or an Echo. Lol! I do have Siri, but she’s only hands free if she’s plugged in to power, and I like to trot my phone all over the house with me.

If I had one Dot, could I use it as an intercom using the Alexa app for my phone? Or would I need two Dots, one for upstairs and one for downstairs?

Can you custom load Alexa somehow? Like, could I load my favorite recipe into her somehow and then say, “Alexa, how many cups of cracker crumbs are in my scalloped oyster recipe?†Probably no, but that would be handy!

• Like 2

I have watched too many episodes of Black Mirror to have any sort of draw to the Echo or Dot. ;)

I've not seen this show but I can only imagine MANY reasons that this device is AWFUL for security and privacy reasons.

Dh and I spent a good amount of time talking about that, how every day feels like a constant erasure of our individual privacy because of so many opportunities to give it away and give it away willingly because we're not really stopping to assess the true impact of everything we've given away. It's much more, well I've already gone this far, what is even further?

Add to the fact that this device doesn't have a subscription cost, just the one time purchase fee, you know it has to be financially worthwhile to the company to make and sell - the price point is low too. And it certainly isn't increasing amazon purchases for everyone (maybe for some it does), so again, what all are they monetizing on it?

I also went on a long conversation about how I feel like this device and those like it it is the next cultural shift with almost-AI devices changing how we do things. First it was the smart phone and that has been a major game changer for changing technology and how to act/preform tasks/etc and Siri was another step (one I never got around to figuring out) but this is taking it to another level, being able to purchase several for our home affordably is kinda powerful. And not having to touch my phone to do so many things - really awesome. 

So all that and I feel like standing on the teeter-totter of smart and completely freaking stupid and trying to pick which way I really want to keep going.... 

Edited by xixstar
  • Like 11

I've not seen this show but I can only imagine MANY reasons that this device is AWFUL for security and privacy reasons.

Dh and I spent a good amount of time talking about that, how every day feels like a constant erasure of our individual privacy because of so many opportunities to give it away and give it away willingly because we're not really stopping to assess the true impact of everything we've given away. It's much more, well I've already gone this far, what is even further?

Add to the fact that this device doesn't have a subscription cost, just the one time purchase fee, you know it has to be financially worthwhile to the company to make and sell - the price point is low too. And it certainly isn't increasing amazon purchases for everyone (maybe for some it does), so again, what all are they monetizing on it?

I also went on a long conversation about how I feel like this device and those like it it is the next cultural shift with almost-AI devices changing how we do things. First it was the smart phone and that has been a major game changer for changing technology and how to act/preform tasks/etc and Siri was another step (one I never got around to figuring out) but this is taking it to another level, being able to purchase several for our home affordably is kinda powerful. And not having to touch my phone to do so many things - really awesome.

So all that and I feel like standing on the teeter-totter of smart and completely freaking stupid and trying to pick which way I really want to keep going....

Black Mirror is your show. It is all about our world in the very near future when technology is an integral part of our lives. We watched one last night about a mom who got an implant put in her child to track her and protect her, and all of the consequences. Each one is like a separate mini-movie.

• Like 3

Wow...I didn't know Alexa could do bedtime stories and play Jeopardy.

Are the bedtime stories through Audible?

Some are audible, some are prime, and some are...something else, I don't recall, but it tells you where it got them before it starts the story. It cycles through a list of free stories, which changes up some from month to month I think. If a story comes up that you don't want to listen to, you just tell her to skip. And Alexa does not get tired of repeating the same story for the 11th time. I'm pretty sure Audible books can be played through the echo as well, but we don't have a subscription.

• Like 1

We have Alexa on our Kindles but don\t use it/  I haven't found it to be helpful.  I have Cortana on my new computer and haven\t ised it either/  But I do use Google assistant on my phone at times since that is more useful to me.  

Alexa without an echo would not be terribly useful.

This is why I am, at present, not a big fan of buying intentional surveillance...BUT! Is that true, because I wear a FitBit at all times except when showering. So I have willingly allowed a physicological tracking device to log literally my every step and snore. I also use My Fitness Pal and willingly tell it everything I eat. And I have Stylebook, to log all my clothing! And Goodreads, tracking (most of) the books I read and how I rate them...

I just wonder about the Alexa thing some. That it is ready to “listen†to everything I say and make record of all things said to it. There is a part of that that bothers me, like, a LOT. However, I do use Siri in similar ways. I use Siri for reminders and timers very, very often. And my Maps is recording everywhere I drive...

• Like 2

My husband's field is information security,a nd he allows Alexa. Basically, he feels it is too late, lol. Everyone knows the important stuff already. how long your tea takes to steep just isn't worth knowing. 

DH had made this point too after talking with other friends far more versed in real information and identity security - that all this stuff is just fluff, nothing of actual value, the real data is far more valuable and, honestly, already available too.

I just wonder about the Alexa thing some. That it is ready to “listen†to everything I say and make record of all things said to it. There is a part of that that bothers me, like, a LOT. However, I do use Siri in similar ways. I use Siri for reminders and timers very, very often. And my Maps is recording everywhere I drive...

I find it also creepy that on the app I can see every question that is asked of it. I guess kinda nice if I wanted to remember some question I asked earlier and forgot the answer to but I feel like it is also spying on my children by tracking it. 

• Like 1

I'm not sure just how much Alexa is actually listening (or at least paying attention).  We've had her since they came out in 2014.  We pre-ordered it so literally got one of the first released.  The number of times we have had to say her name multiple times to get her to respond is ridiculous.  When we have forgotten to say Alexa first and just said the command, she completely ignores it.

I find it also creepy that on the app I can see every question that is asked of it. I guess kinda nice if I wanted to remember some question I asked earlier and forgot the answer to but I feel like it is also spying on my children by tracking it. 

So don't look at it.  The only time we look at the app anymore is if she says she put a link in the Alexa app and we care enough to actually open it or if we are baffled by her response.  Since it tells you what she thinks you said that can clear up the confusion.  It also gives you the option to say whether she heard correctly or not and by telling her it actually makes her able to understand what you say better over time.

And wow thanks to this thread now I know I can have Siri set alarms and calendar dates via voice. I don’t know why I never thought of that before.

If it is plugged into power, you don’t even have to push the button, just say, “Hey, Siri, set my timer for twenty minutes.†You might need a more recent OS to do that though. But I use it all the time, especially if I am cooking multiple things.

If it is plugged into power, you don’t even have to push the button, just say, “Hey, Siri, set my timer for twenty minutes.†You might need a more recent OS to do that though. But I use it all the time, especially if I am cooking multiple things.

Yeah, I knew I could use Siri that way; I just had never thought of telling her to set the timers. I had done the timers manually.

• Like 1

That's kind of the way Bezos/Amazon has operated for a long time. I don't know if it's still true or not, but when the Kindle e-readers first came out it was widely reported that Amazon lost money on every device sold. But that was fine with Bezos, because he was counting on book sales to more than make up for the loss on the devices. I suspect the same is true with Alexa--it will get enough people immersed in Amazon (music, Audible books, etc.) to more than make up for the low price point and no subscription fee. He's just following the same business plan he did with the Kindle.

They have a music subscription (including one that is just for playing music on the Echo), you can order/reorder things through the Echo very easily, having an Echo (as opposed to the Google version) means people who own it are much more likely to have Prime and be immersed in the Amazon ecosystem, etc.

• Like 1

The reality as far as privacy is, that for most of human history, privacy as we understand it now did not exist. People were up in each other's space and business in every respect, and privacy was an agreed upon social convention of looking the other way at best. What is different NOW is that rather than the church or the government doing their best to control our every thought and move, corporations (well, and in some places the government--China comes to mind) are collecting all our data and manipulating us with it.

In the long run, the only way to change that is to change the law and reign in the way the corporations use data. Inconveniencing ourselves to try and avoid it isn't going to work. At best, we can be conscious of the trade-offs we make--our data is part of the price we are paying for the conveniences new tech brings to us.

Thanks to this thread, I'm leaning towards spending Christmas money from MIL on an Echo Dot. For me the biggest draw is the possibility of all of us spending less time online looking for info., and then getting side tracked, of course. Or perhaps not missing teachable moments and nurturing curiosity because I'm too busy ATM to find something out and/or forget later. Also, with a large family, so many times a day I get asked to spell a word or about some random fact that half the time I don't know the answer to, or asked if so and so can go online to find out this or that, etc. Having Alexa to share that load sounds lovely. It's a nice thought and worth a try anyway. :P 

The reality as far as privacy is, that for most of human history, privacy as we understand it now did not exist. People were up in each other's space and business in every respect, and privacy was an agreed upon social convention of looking the other way at best. What is different NOW is that rather than the church or the government doing their best to control our every thought and move, corporations (well, and in some places the government--China comes to mind) are collecting all our data and manipulating us with it.

In the long run, the only way to change that is to change the law and reign in the way the corporations use data. Inconveniencing ourselves to try and avoid it isn't going to work. At best, we can be conscious of the trade-offs we make--our data is part of the price we are paying for the conveniences new tech brings to us.

I don't think it's actually an issue of privacy at all.  Big data has little to do with privacy, it's a whole different kettle of fish.  For some reason people have a hard time conceptualizing worrying about problems in a way that isn't personal.

Thanks to this thread, I'm leaning towards spending Christmas money from MIL on an Echo Dot. For me the biggest draw is the possibility of all of us spending less time online looking for info., and then getting side tracked, of course. Or perhaps not missing teachable moments and nurturing curiosity because I'm too busy ATM to find something out and/or forget later. Also, with a large family, so many times a day I get asked to spell a word or about some random fact that half the time I don't know the answer to, or asked if so and so can go online to find out this or that, etc. Having Alexa to share that load sounds lovely. It's a nice thought and worth a try anyway. :p

Helping with those little school tasks is soooo helpful.

I was working on something that needed all of my attention when dd started doing a spelling assignment and kept asking me little things, finally I reminded her that she was sitting next to Alexa and to ask her. I recommend adding the skill Slow Speller so that Alexa spells a little at a speed small kids can use.

I also struggle with getting sucked into my phone when I look up something.

• Like 1

I've considered it a bit and see the appeal especially with having lots of timers but not sure yet. Most voice activated stuff hasn't worked well in our house particularly for my spouse (apparently AIs don't understand Geordies  :lol: and isn't much better with a transatlantic mishmash accent of me and my kids) and with a child with a name very similar to Alexa I can foresee many confusing moments... 

• Like 1

I've considered it a bit and see the appeal especially with having lots of timers but not sure yet. Most voice activated stuff hasn't worked well in our house particularly for my spouse (apparently AIs don't understand Geordies  :lol: and isn't much better with a transatlantic mishmash accent of me and my kids) and with a child with a name very similar to Alexa I can foresee many confusing moments... 

You can change the name to Amazon, Echo or Computer too - my friend with a daughter named Alexa did this.

Google suggests that some Geordies had no problem with being understood but I wonder if that is on the ones in the US or the ones in the UK. 

Target sells them, so that makes for easy returns if you live near one and it doesn't work.

We play Amazon Prime music as well as Pandora and Sirius XM (subscription required but we already had it). It can also play iheartmusic, and probably others too. 

I forgot to mention it in my post but yes, we use the shopping list all the time. I have several - grocery, Sams, household. We have a magnetic white board on the fridge but it didn't always get used. Now it's so easy to just say, "Alexa, add cat food to my shopping list". When I'm at the store, I just open the app and there's my list. I used to try and find the perfect app (Remember the Milk vs. Google Tasks or Keep vs. a bunch of other shopping apps). No more. I use Alexa exclusively.

DH uses the shopping list on Alexa. My son likes to add things to it like “rat brainsâ€. “Add rat brains to shopping list.†“Rat brains added to shopping list.â€

DH changed Alexa’s name to Computer, in honor of the computer on Star Trek.

• Like 6

I also love that my DD can call my cell from Alexa on the occasions I leave her home for a minute! We have an old cell that can (only) call 911, but it is nice for her to be able to reach me. 

I use Alexa in a million ways, all of them totally insignificant, but I could not live without it! 

My other favorite thing is we have an upstairs dot and a downstairs echo. And we use them as an intercom so we don't have to yell. I had been waiting for that capability since we originally got it!

• Like 2

DH uses the shopping list on Alexa. My son likes to add things to it like “rat brainsâ€. “Add rat brains to shopping list.†“Rat brains added to shopping list.â€

DH changed Alexa’s name to Computer, in honor of the computer on Star Trek.

LOL at “rat brains!â€

My darling smart alecs think it’s hilarious to change my name in my phone so Siri calls me She Who Must Be Obeyed or Professor McGonigal or something. Thanks, kids. They also tell Siri to add whatever they want to the grocery list.

Edited by happypamama
  • Like 1