Menu

Meet my new best friend Alexa!

xixstar

DH uses the shopping list on Alexa. My son likes to add things to it like “rat brainsâ€. “Add rat brains to shopping list.†“Rat brains added to shopping list.â€

DH changed Alexa’s name to Computer, in honor of the computer on Star Trek.

I often find things on my shopping list like, "cure for the human condition" or "ways to stop the threat of nuclear war" thanks to my DH. 

• Like 2

Do you find the Echo's "search engine" is good on it's own? I see a Google app can be added for better info. that works like "Alexis, ask Google..."

Edited: Also, does anyone know what calendar systems work with Alexis, for example, Outlook or Google?

Edited by IfIOnly

Can you tellher to print your list or does it show up somewhere on your phone?

You download the Alexa app on your phone, and it shows up there. 

I actually use the plantoeat website (paid subscription) for meal planning, so usually before a big grocery shop I transfer all the stuff in my Alexa list to plan to eat, just because it sorts the list into categories. I find that helpful for a big shopping trip, but for a running tally nothing beats Alexa. Being able to tell her to add milk to the list AS you are pouring out the last of the milk is priceless. And since DH and I use the same account he has access to the list to, so if he stops at the store can see what I need. 

• Like 1

So don't look at it.  The only time we look at the app anymore is if she says she put a link in the Alexa app and we care enough to actually open it or if we are baffled by her response.  Since it tells you what she thinks you said that can clear up the confusion.  It also gives you the option to say whether she heard correctly or not and by telling her it actually makes her able to understand what you say better over time.

That's the only time I really look at it. It's helpful to Amazon (and in the long run to Echo users) to know when she does and doesn't respond correctly.

Ours can work the lights all over the house and the garage. It’s awesome!

We don't have any smart appliances for Alexa to work but we have a friend who does. She often has Alexa adjust the thermostat if she's already in bed and doesn't want to get up and move it up or down. She also uses it for ceiling fans and lights.

I love this...I’m afraid it hits too close to the truth for someone in our house.

I love that skit!

Do you find the Echo's "seacrch engine" is good on it's own? I see a Google app can be added for better info., that works like "Alexis, ask Google..."

Hmm, this really depends I would guess on what questions you're typically asking.

If I want clear facts or dates, she seems good at finding it.

if I ask "what time does Alid close?" she will tell me about the one closest to me. 

If I ask for the closest coffee house, her results weren't that great because the locations she gave were too far away (they all had "coffee house" in their name). But if I ask "where can I get coffee?" then I get nearby places.

If I ask something like "how to make stuffed cabbage rolls" she finds a recipe and will tell it to me or send it to my phone.

"Who signed the Deceleration of Independence" - she'll give me some names and send the rest to the app.

"Is there a math competition in maryland?" she doesn't know whereas google would bring something up. 

Hopefully that's a little helpful and someone else that's used it longer will know better on this. 

• Like 2

Do you find the Echo's "search engine" is good on it's own? I see a Google app can be added for better info. that works like "Alexis, ask Google..."

Edited: Also, does anyone know what calendar systems work with Alexis, for example, Outlook or Google?

Answer to the first question - No, it could be better. I doubt Google will let Amazon use their search engine because of Google Home. It's the only thing I don't like about Alexa. Sometimes I have to reword a question numerous times before she gets it. Sometimes she never gets it. I don't know what search engine it uses.

Second question - I don't know all of the calendar programs it works with but I do know it works with Google calendar. That's what we use. 

• Like 1

No. I am known to yell at Alexa about how stupid she is, and also, "Google would have know that!!" Her search engine is almost completely useless. I have joked about stacking a google mini on top of my Echo, so I could use Google for queries and Alexa for everything else. 

• Like 2

The early days of Alexa were hilarious. We did all the voice training and would speak pretty clearly. But she was SO bad at guessing what we were saying. So I would say, "Alexa, add ponytails to my shopping list." And she would say, "I have added 20 towels to your shopping list." The list was one of the primary reasons I wanted an Echo, but it was so unusable that I never really revisited it. Also sometimes things throw her for a loop. We couldn't get her to play the Moana sountrack to SAVE OUR LIVES for the first several weeks after we bought the soundtrack (from Amazon.) It couldn't understand the word "Moana" no matter how you said it. I assume eventually someone noticed because it was fixed overnight.

Edited by Sk8ermaiden

Hmm, this really depends I would guess on what questions you're typically asking.

If I want clear facts or dates, she seems good at finding it.

if I ask "what time does Alid close?" she will tell me about the one closest to me. 

If I ask for the closest coffee house, her results weren't that great because the locations she gave were too far away (they all had "coffee house" in their name). But if I ask "where can I get coffee?" then I get nearby places.

If I ask something like "how to make stuffed cabbage rolls" she finds a recipe and will tell it to me or send it to my phone.

"Who signed the Deceleration of Independence" - she'll give me some names and send the rest to the app.

"Is there a math competition in maryland?" she doesn't know whereas google would bring something up. 

Hopefully that's a little helpful and someone else that's used it longer will know better on this. 

Thank you for your detailed response! It helps to know what the limitations are.

Answer to the first question - No, it could be better. I doubt Google will let Amazon use their search engine because of Google Home. It's the only thing I don't like about Alexa. Sometimes I have to reword a question numerous times before she gets it. Sometimes she never gets it. I don't know what search engine it uses.

Second question - I don't know all of the calendar programs it works with but I do know it works with Google calendar. That's what we use. 

Oh, that's great to hear it works with Google calendar. I was thinking the same thing about Google letting Alexis users access its info. I can't verify if it's possible but came across this tutorial earlier today.

No. I am known to yell at Alexa about how stupid she is, and also, "Google would have know that!!" Her search engine is almost completely useless. I have joked about stacking a google mini on top of my Echo, so I could use Google for queries and Alexa for everything else. 

Yes, trying to decide between the two! Pretty sure I'll be going with Echo after looking at a bunch of comparisons online. 

Edited by IfIOnly

DH uses the shopping list on Alexa. My son likes to add things to it like “rat brainsâ€. “Add rat brains to shopping list.†“Rat brains added to shopping list.â€

DH changed Alexa’s name to Computer, in honor of the computer on Star Trek.

Whaaat... I so want to do this!!  Off to google how.

We bought both and ended up with the Google home. It doesn't have the "listen in" feature and we keep one in our bedroom so that was important to us! It does have a "broadcast" feature that works like a delayed intercom. "Hey Google, broadcast 'Go to bed'" and my kids in the living room hear a recording of my saying "go to bed". They can broadcast back an answer.

Google works with spotify music and something else. But not anything Amazon. That's a downside.

It answered questions way better than Alexa. And we're banking on it being able to get as good as Alexa eventually at other stuff. It is Google after all.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

We bought both and ended up with the Google home. It doesn't have the "listen in" feature and we keep one in our bedroom so that was important to us! It does have a "broadcast" feature that works like a delayed intercom. "Hey Google, broadcast 'Go to bed'" and my kids in the living room hear a recording of my saying "go to bed". They can broadcast back an answer.

Google works with spotify music and something else. But not anything Amazon. That's a downside.

It answered questions way better than Alexa. And we're banking on it being able to get as good as Alexa eventually at other stuff. It is Google after all.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

DH is leaning towards Google Home because it has voice recognition and will input to our individual calendars and lists. But I'm torn. All those great Echo apps.

Well, I fell in love with Google home last year, added a kid - google mini this year for Christmas and am going to buy a couple more of them next time I go out because he is so dang useful and ........brought in another woman called BIXBY as well.......OMG.....Bixby voice on samsung is the BOMB.  That woman gets stuff done.   She isn't as global as Google but she gets down into the nitty gritty like looks up my app and turns the volume on the TV. Takes pictures for me by VOICE COMMAND....I love BIxby.   Makes voice notes in my notes.     She is the best second wife ever into this assistant marriage.

• Like 1

We just picked up a Google mini for $50 and a Chromecast Google streaming device for $35. The streaming device plugs into the tv screen and will allow us to tell our mini to play a Netflix movie, play music with the TV screen speakers, and screen mirror from Androids and laptops, and more. Kids are going to freak when we get home with the surprise.

Edited by IfIOnly