Menu

Christmas Eve lights poll

happi duck

Christmas Eve lights  

87 members have voted

1. 1. If you have Christmas lights that you usually turn off at night, do you keep them on all night on 12/24?

• Yes, outdoor lights and indoor tree
    • Yes, outdoor lights only
    • Yes, indoor tree only
    • No
    • Other

This is my first poll!

Growing up we, and the neighbors, turned the tree and outdoor Christmas lights off overnight *except* they were all left on overnight on 12/24.

I still do that and I've noticed that most of the neighbors do the same.

Is this common? What sayeth the Hive?

Edited by happi duck
  • Like 1

We don’t have outside lights this year. In past years I left them on overnight when my husband was traveling, he typically unplugs them before bed. I never noticed if he was likely to leave them on Christmas Eve.

We usually unplug the tree lights overnight, otherwise they keep me awake.

We turn ours off. We have a live tree that usually is pretty dried out by this time in the season, and we don't like to have the lights on when we're not around to keep an eye on things.

Outdoors, we probably could. It never occurred to me.

DH or I do get up early on Christmas morning and turn on all the inside lights and start the fireplace. The kids have to wait in their rooms until everything is ready. Even more so this year since Santa is "delivering" a kitten this afternoon who will be hiding downstairs in the office until Monday! They love this -- I think it builds the suspense for them.

Yes, outdoor lights stay on. Heck, they have stayed on all night since we put them up after Thanksgiving!

Hubby and the neighbor across the street used to line the street, two at each driveway with everyone's permission, with little paper bags full of sand and candles. Lit at dusk, the luminary looked like we had created a runway for Santa (my kids) or tribute to Jesus (his kids).

I'm interested in how many people are mentioning unplugging lights.  All of our lights are on timers, including the outdoor lights, the wreath over the fireplace, the tree, the Christmas village on the family room ledge.

Often on Christmas Eve we re-set to continue running all night; on Christmas Day we have the inside lights on all day.

• Like 2

Our indoor xmas tree lights have been on since I put them on the tree a week ago or so. They work great as a nightlight, plus, DW has been working till 6am the last few nights (at home), and the kids wake up at 8-something, so it's not a big deal either way. We don't have outdoor lights. 

I'm interested in how many people are mentioning unplugging lights.  All of our lights are on timers, 

I don't think we own a timer. And the lights don't have a switch, so, the options are to leave them plugged in or to unplug them - can't just "turn them off". 

From Thanksgiving to Dec 23, the outside lights are on a timer and the inside lights (not only on a tree) are turned on every morning and turned off at bedtime.  (We have a remote control for them.)

Dec 24, all the lights stay on all night and don't get turned off until late Dec 25th.  

But we have an artificial tree.

Our outside lights are on a timer - they come on at dusk and stay on for six hours (approximately 5-11 pm). Inside we have two artificial trees and a lit nativity. They are on if we are home. I don’t change anything for Christmas Eve.

Edited by TechWife

I leave indoor and outdoor lights on all night from the time I put them up (day after Thanksgiving) until I take them down (after 3 consecutive days of 70 degrees). I really hate winter and Christmas lights make me happy. I do take the tree and it's lights down almost immediately after Christmas. I leave the lights in the windows and on the deck out until March sometime. 

Kelly

I leave indoor and outdoor lights on all night from the time I put them up (day after Thanksgiving) until I take them down (after 3 consecutive days of 70 degrees). I really hate winter and Christmas lights make me happy. I do take the tree and it's lights down almost immediately after Christmas. I leave the lights in the windows and on the deck out until March sometime.

Kelly

I leave a string of lights up through at least February for the same reason. It helps me get through winter with SAD.

• Like 2