Menu

Setback for definitive proof of a flat Earth:

maize

For whatever reason, I have never personally seen something disappear over the horizon bit by bit.  And how do you know (for sure) that the shadow on the moon is actually made by the earth?  I mean, how do you, personally, know this?  

When it comes to things that are not directly observable, such as whether or not the earth is a sphere, how much of our understanding of the world do we take on faith?  I'd argue that for most people, the answer is essentially all of it.  

I am not arguing that there is ample evidence for the earth being sphere(ish).  I am not a flat earther, and neither is my mother.  But I think that when we teach science, we aren't telling the whole story if we don't tackle the issue of science as a belief system head on.

I actually agree here, sort of.  I don't think science is baseless, but I think we do stretch theories into laws when we shouldn't.  And I do occasionally deal out a little bit of doubt and skepticism when the kids and I discuss things, but on the flip side, evidence and testimony aren't nothing.  For us it's really a mental exercise in leaving room for more information and being willing to say "I don't know, but I think XYZ for now because of ABC."  

• Like 2

So how do they explain all the kazillions of ships and planes navigating all the way around the globe?? If the earth isn't round, either the Atlantic or Pacific music be uncrossable. How do navigation instruments work if you can only get from the US to Asia via the Atlantic? How do boats not notice that they're having to go around South America and Africa (or through two canals) to get from the west coast of America to Asia? No one's noticed? How do their instruments magically send them in the opposite direction without being lost?

If they agree both oceans are navegable, then the earth would be a cylinder, not flat.

Hey, if the ice caps melt with global warming, does that mean all the oceans fall off into the void? Yeah, I know FE types are the last to 'believe' in global warming, but they have even more to worry about. :lol:

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 3

I will have to go searching. Is it the part about the earth was without form part? If they believe all that literally I hope they also adhere to all the Old Testament laws and everything else in there. I don't think you can pick and choose.

I think it has to do with "the four corners of the earth":

https://christiananswers.net/q-eden/edn-c017.html

there's some weird thing in pro sports about it. Some (I think it's Kyrie Irving now) are now backtracking and saying it was all a social media experiment but alas, I think it's more likely that just because you are gifted athletically and make $$$$$$ you are not necessarily very clever. 

This was Shaq earlier this year. 

""So, listen. I drive from coast to coast and this sh*t is flat to me. I'm just saying," he explained — at which point, Kincade interjected: "That is the dumbest thing you have ever said." Laughter followed, but Shaq wasn't finished.

"I drive from Florida to California all the time, and it's flat to me. I do not go up and down at a 360-degree angle, and all that stuff about gravity. Have you looked outside Atlanta lately and seen all these buildings? You mean to tell me that China is under us? China is under us? It's not. The world is flat.""

http://mashable.com/2017/03/19/shaq-flat-earth-explanation/#oHlsn9OllPqS

Edited by hornblower

I will have to go searching. Is it the part about the earth was without form part? If they believe all that literally I hope they also adhere to all the Old Testament laws and everything else in there. I don't think you can pick and choose.

It says there are four corners of the earth.  God placed the stars in the firmament is interpreted to mean He made a dome over the earth (the firmament) and literally placed the stars in the ceiling of the dome.  The earth is God's footstool.  A footstool is flat therefore the earth is flat.  There were a couple other things.  My mind was going, "What the...????" while also just trying to keep my mouth shut because I genuinely like these people.  My husband, though, I was pretty sure he was going to throw down right then and there.

And, no, they definitely don't adhere to all the OT laws.

My husband ended up doing some research into the Flat Earthers because he figures the best way to refute them is to know what they are saying.  His best evidence (that a Flat Earther is likely to accept since they will NOT accept anything like NASA) against FE ironically came from Answers in Genesis.

One of their proofs that the earth is flat is something about the bridge over Lake Pontchartrain.  Because you can see the end of it the earth has to be flat.  The curve of the earth would make it so you couldn't see the other end.  My husband noted that they weren't taking into consideration that a human's eye do not lay on the ground.  If you add 5' from the ground, his calculations showed that you absolutely would see the other end of the bridge.  If you lay on the ground, though, you will not.  Because the earth curves seeing as it is a sphere and not flat.

So how do they explain all the kazillions of ships and planes navigating all the way around the globe?? If the earth isn't round, either the Atlantic or Pacific music be uncrossable. How do navigation instruments work if you can only get from the US to Asia via the Atlantic? How do boats not notice that they're having to go around South America and Africa (or through two canals) to get from the west coast of America to Asia? No one's noticed? How do their instruments magically send them in the opposite direction without being lost?

If they agree both oceans are navegable, then the earth would be a cylinder, not flat.

Hey, if the ice caps melt with global warming, does that mean all the oceans fall off into the void? Yeah, I know FE types are the last to 'believe' in global warming, but they have even more to worry about. :lol:

Apparently, all navigation instruments are made so that the people driving *think* the earth is round even though it isn't.  It's a big conspiracy.

Photos can be faked

And the Flat Earther we know believes they most definitely were.  Either that or we've never gone to space.  It's possible the planets don't exist either.

I think the problem is lack of flight paths over Antarctica.  It's because planes go to New Zealand or Tierra Del Fuego and then turn back.  If they just kept going, no one would be thinking in these terms.

Flight paths are one of their bones of contention.  They say they don't make sense.  The thing is, flight paths don't always make sense.  Flying from NYC to Ireland, we went way more north than would make sense, but it does make sense in the case of an emergency.  It is better to make an emergency landing in an out of the way location than ditch into the ocean.

Now as for WHY the whole cover-up/conspiracy for round earth, well, I'm not exactly clear on that.  It may be something like an extra test of faith.  Like I know people who say God put dinosaur bones in the earth as a test to see if we'd still believe in 7 24-hour days of creation.  The bones would try to knock us off track when science says they are x million years old.

There is a bit of smugness involved in an "I know better than you" or "my faith is deeper than yours" sort of way.

• Like 3

I think the problem is lack of flight paths over Antarctica. It's because planes go to New Zealand or Tierra Del Fuego and then turn back. If they just kept going, no one would be thinking in these terms.

But... you don't need to cross the poles. If the earth is flat, you can't circumnavigate from E/W or W/E either, and plenty of planes and boats do that all.the.time.

Is this flat earth, or cylindrical earth they're arguing?

• Like 3

But... you don't need to cross the poles. If the earth is flat, you can't circumnavigate from E/W or W/E either, and plenty of planes and boats do that all.the.time.

Is this flat earth, or cylindrical earth they're arguing?

Look at their maps--it's a flat earth with the North Pole in the center and water all around the continents; you can still navigate (though the distances are off...)

Edited by maize

Flight paths are one of their bones of contention. They say they don't make sense. The thing is, flight paths don't always make sense. Flying from NYC to Ireland, we went way more north than would make sense, but it does make sense in the case of an emergency. It is better to make an emergency landing in an out of the way location than ditch into the ocean.

No, actually, the reason the flight paths appear to go farther north than they 'need' to on a flat map is precisely because the earth is ROUND. Trace the same path on a globe, and you'll see its the shortest path. The circumference is smaller as you head to the poles, so shorter distance. Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 8

I knew FE people existed, but the comments on this (previously quoted) curriculum page (https://homeschoolingtorah.com/what-we-teach-about-a-flat-earth/)  really scare me. People are seriously teaching their kids to believe in a GEOCENTRIC!, flat earth existence and want curriculum for it?

I just can't.

Their poor kids. 

• Like 8

""So, listen. I drive from coast to coast and this sh*t is flat to me. I'm just saying," he explained — at which point, Kincade interjected: "That is the dumbest thing you have ever said." Laughter followed, but Shaq wasn't finished.

Because the world is round, long-distance highways that are done on a more-or-less grid system have to have periodic "corrections". You can look at them yourself, or even drive along them.

https://weburbanist.com/2016/02/09/grid-corrections-rural-detours-reflect-curvature-of-the-earth/

Also: http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badastronomy/2008/02/03/the-earth-is-round/#.Wh21JsZrzm8

• Like 1

No, actually, the reason the flight paths appear to go farther north than they 'need' to on a flat map is precisely because the earth is ROUND. Trace the same path on a globe, and you'll see its the shortest path. The circumference is smaller as you head to the poles, so shorter distance.

Yes, the shortest distance between two points on a sphere is found on the great circle.

Edited by Tanaqui
  • Like 1

there's some weird thing in pro sports about it. Some (I think it's Kyrie Irving now) are now backtracking and saying it was all a social media experiment but alas, I think it's more likely that just because you are gifted athletically and make $$$$$$ you are not necessarily very clever. 

This was Shaq earlier this year. 

"I drive from Florida to California all the time, and it's flat to me. I do not go up and down at a 360-degree angle, and all that stuff about gravity. Have you looked outside Atlanta lately and seen all these buildings? You mean to tell me that China is under us? China is under us? It's not. The world is flat.""

http://mashable.com/2017/03/19/shaq-flat-earth-explanation/#oHlsn9OllPqS

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Because the world is round, long-distance highways that are done on a more-or-less grid system have to have periodic "corrections". You can look at them yourself, or even drive along them.

https://weburbanist.com/2016/02/09/grid-corrections-rural-detours-reflect-curvature-of-the-earth/

Also: http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badastronomy/2008/02/03/the-earth-is-round/#.Wh21JsZrzm8

"Well, of course they'd put in these little squiggles in the highway to make you believe it," flat earther, probably. "I mean if they can fake lunar landings and satellite photos, they can do this." 

• Like 4

I actually agree here, sort of.  I don't think science is baseless, but I think we do stretch theories into laws when we shouldn't.  And I do occasionally deal out a little bit of doubt and skepticism when the kids and I discuss things, but on the flip side, evidence and testimony aren't nothing.  For us it's really a mental exercise in leaving room for more information and being willing to say "I don't know, but I think XYZ for now because of ABC."  

I wasn't saying that science is baseless--I hope that's not what you got from what I wrote!

I am actually a scientist myself (biochemistry), but I suspect that most people's experience of the evidence for scientific understanding is the same as their experience of the evidence for religious understanding: someone told them it was so.  

• Like 5

No, actually, the reason the flight paths appear to go farther north than they 'need' to on a flat map is precisely because the earth is ROUND. Trace the same path on a globe, and you'll see its the shortest path. The circumference is smaller as you head to the poles, so shorter distance.

Yes, I agree.  And safety.  According to the pilot ;)

• Like 1

It says there are four corners of the earth. God placed the stars in the firmament is interpreted to mean He made a dome over the earth (the firmament) and literally placed the stars in the ceiling of the dome. The earth is God's footstool. A footstool is flat therefore the earth is flat. There were a couple other things. My mind was going, "What the...????" while also just trying to keep my mouth shut because I genuinely like these people. My husband, though, I was pretty sure he was going to throw down right then and there.

And, no, they definitely don't adhere to all the OT laws.

My husband ended up doing some research into the Flat Earthers because he figures the best way to refute them is to know what they are saying. His best evidence (that a Flat Earther is likely to accept since they will NOT accept anything like NASA) against FE ironically came from Answers in Genesis.

One of their proofs that the earth is flat is something about the bridge over Lake Pontchartrain. Because you can see the end of it the earth has to be flat. The curve of the earth would make it so you couldn't see the other end. My husband noted that they weren't taking into consideration that a human's eye do not lay on the ground. If you add 5' from the ground, his calculations showed that you absolutely would see the other end of the bridge. If you lay on the ground, though, you will not. Because the earth curves seeing as it is a sphere and not flat.

Apparently, all navigation instruments are made so that the people driving *think* the earth is round even though it isn't. It's a big conspiracy.

And the Flat Earther we know believes they most definitely were. Either that or we've never gone to space. It's possible the planets don't exist either.

Flight paths are one of their bones of contention. They say they don't make sense. The thing is, flight paths don't always make sense. Flying from NYC to Ireland, we went way more north than would make sense, but it does make sense in the case of an emergency. It is better to make an emergency landing in an out of the way location than ditch into the ocean.

Now as for WHY the whole cover-up/conspiracy for round earth, well, I'm not exactly clear on that. It may be something like an extra test of faith. Like I know people who say God put dinosaur bones in the earth as a test to see if we'd still believe in 7 24-hour days of creation. The bones would try to knock us off track when science says they are x million years old.

There is a bit of smugness involved in an "I know better than you" or "my faith is deeper than yours" sort of way.

Um, when you are on one end of that bridge, you cannot see the end of it. Sure, you see a slim tree line in the distance. When you are in the middle of the lake, there are times when you cannot see any shoreline aside from the top tips of the city's skyscrapers.

And personally, I'm not sure why God would test us with outlandish scientific challenges when "love thy neighbor as thyself" and "forgive those who trespass against you" are already about as hard as it gets.

Edited by Seasider
  • Like 6

I wasn't saying that science is baseless--I hope that's not what you got from what I wrote!

I am actually a scientist myself (biochemistry), but I suspect that most people's experience of the evidence for scientific understanding is the same as their experience of the evidence for religious understanding: someone told them it was so.

I find this argument puzzling - that the only way one can believe anything to be true is if they amass an experiential, experimental body of knowledge that they themselves have done vs. having some confidence in the role of experts whose body of knowledge is more specialized and exceeds our own.

That doesn’t preclude a reasoned, healthy skepticism, but at some point, there are limits to what I myself can do. I simply cannot be an expert on everything and relying upon the specialization and expertise of others does not reduce me to having to accept things simply on faith as if we’re talking about the tooth fairy, Tinkerbell, or Santa Claus.

• Like 9

Um, when you are on one end of that bridge, you cannot see the end of it. Sure, you see a slim tree line in the distance. When you are in the middle of the lake, there are times when you cannot see any shoreline aside from the top tips of the city's skyscrapers.

The fact that you can see *anything* at the other end on a perfectly clear day is proof to the Flat Earthers that the earth is flat apparently.  My friend was like "That's all we need to take into consideration to know."  And in my head I was like, "I think you are nuts."

If you google Lake Pontchartrain flat earth you'll get a LOT of hits of FE people using it to prove the earth is flat.

Yes.  I recommend this book about being a pilot and flying more generally.  Full of fascinating facts and the poetry of flight:

https://markvanhoenacker.com/skyfaring/about/

The fact that you can see *anything* at the other end on a perfectly clear day is proof to the Flat Earthers that the earth is flat apparently. My friend was like "That's all we need to take into consideration to know." And in my head I was like, "I think you are nuts."

If you google Lake Pontchartrain flat earth you'll get a LOT of hits of FE people using it to prove the earth is flat.

Guess you lose them or get labeled part of the Vast Science Conspiracy when you ask them what they think of air density and light refraction changes and the like?

Edited by Seasider
  • Like 2

So basically FE'ers use a verse in the Bible that says something about their being 4 corners of the earth, but yet all their pictures show a flat earth that is round???  That makes no sense to me.

The one I know believes the earth is a rectangle like a footstool.

I find this argument puzzling - that the only way one can believe anything to be true is if they amass an experiential, experimental body of knowledge that they themselves have done vs. having some confidence in the role of experts whose body of knowledge is more specialized and exceeds our own.

That doesn’t preclude a reasoned, healthy skepticism, but at some point, there are limits to what I myself can do. I simply cannot be an expert on everything and relying upon the specialization and expertise of others does not reduce me to having to accept things simply on faith as if we’re talking about the tooth fairy, Tinkerbell, or Santa Claus.

Except you are accepting things on faith.  Just about everything you "know" you accept on faith because, as you pointed out, it isn't feasible to research every last thing--or even really much of anything--yourself.  

• Like 1

Except you are accepting things on faith. Just about everything you "know" you accept on faith because, as you pointed out, it isn't feasible to research every last thing--or even really much of anything--yourself.

How do Christians put it again? “Faith is the evidence of things unseen.â€

These things aren’t unseen and while I may not amass my own experiential, experimental data on my own, there is data out there. I find this idea that utilizing the specialized knowledge of those who have become experts in their field is somehow akin to a giant leap of faith more than a little concerning. If we’re discounting experts in their fields because we ourselves are not experts then we’re toeing awfully close to the line of anti-intellectualism.

Indeed, if experts and those who have specialized knowledge can only be believed in by faith, then shall we also put the same credence to the flat earther’s comments on Dr. Wiley’s page or the random email forward sent by one’s crazy uncle. Because after all, it’s just a matter of faith and belief? I don’t want the guy down the street who writes letters to the editor of my local newspaper in charge of foreign policy no matter how lmuch he’s read.

I think we can have some objective, rational measure of truth that doesn’t also require everyone be experts in everything themselves. Otherwise, “but were you there?†is a valid rebuttal (and it’s not).

• Like 2

How do Christians put it again? “Faith is the evidence of things unseen.â€

These things aren’t unseen and while I may not amass my own experiential, experimental data on my own, there is data out there. I find this idea that utilizing the specialized knowledge of those who have become experts in their field is somehow akin to a giant leap of faith more than a little concerning. If we’re discounting experts in their fields because we ourselves are not experts then we’re toeing awfully close to the line of anti-intellectualism.

Indeed, if experts and those who have specialized knowledge can only be believed in by faith, then shall we also put the same credence to the flat earther’s comments on Dr. Wiley’s page or the random email forward sent by one’s crazy uncle. Because after all, it’s just a matter of faith and belief? I don’t want the guy down the street who writes letters to the editor of my local newspaper in charge of foreign policy no matter how lmuch he’s read.

I think we can have some objective, rational measure of truth that doesn’t also require everyone be experts in everything themselves. Otherwise, “but were you there?†is a valid rebuttal (and it’s not).

I'm not discounting anything.  I'm just pointing out that when you get right down to it, the vast majority of what people think they "know" is really just the subset of stuff they have been told and have chosen to believe.

Edited by EKS
  • Like 3

I actually agree here, sort of.  I don't think science is baseless, but I think we do stretch theories into laws when we shouldn't.  

What is the bolded supposed to mean???

A scientific "law"  is not higher ranked than a theory. 

Often laws constitute a small part of a theory.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 9

Ok, so you're saying on my trip that I need to meander what we call south - and keep going.  I can do that.  I've always wanted to see Antarctica.  ;)

Out of curiosity, according to their maps, it should take forever to fly from Australia to South America due to the distance.  I mean, it's long (19 1/2 hours), but it's not much different from the amount of time as flying from here to Southeast Asia (14 1/2 hours), yet their map shows that trip to be much shorter distance-wise due to being more center in the circle.  A quick glance seems to suggest at least twice as long a flight from Venezuela to Sydney as from NY to Korea.  Five hours only gets one from CA to HI.

Is that part of the conspiracy?  Are all airlines (and boats) in on it?

I think I'll need to test flight times from here to Southeast Asia and Australia to South America, just to be sure the times I get on google are accurate.  I wouldn't want to take any of that on faith.  ;)

• Like 4

I thought that flat Earth was like the Satanic Temple, something that people claimed they believed in to make a point.  Are there actually large numbers of people who believe this?  How many of them?

To me, the most unbelievable part of this is that world governments, who don't seem to be able to work together on the simplest things, can pull of a hoax of this scale.  What would be in it for them. 

For example, are we really supposed to believe that Donald Trump, whose goal seems to be to prove Obama wrong about everything is continuing Obama's cover up about all of NASA?  

• Like 6

So how thick is this rectangle earth? Can I dig through? In theory, I mean.

What is under the earth then?  How far down does it go?  Is there a big turtle?

Good questions.  I suspect my friend thinks it is quite thick since he believes the earth is literally God's footstool and shaped like a footstool.  Given the giant scale of God and the flat earth, it would end up quite a thick footstool.

Is that part of the conspiracy?  Are all airlines (and boats) in on it?

Yes, or at least the navigation systems on them are in on it.  The pilots themselves are probably not in on it and are just being duped like the rest of us.  I find the belief that every country's navigation systems are in on it thing to be amazing.  I mean, that would be quite something for every country in the world's high ups to have agreed to keep this flat earth thing a secret.  And why would they even do it?!?!

Probably a mix. Some are just trolling because they think it's funny to get people riled up.

I'm sure some just say it to see what people think.  My friend sincerely believes it.  They don't bring it up in casual conversation with random people (it came up with us because we were going to a park all about space).

Why is Flat Earth any more preposterous than Young Earth? 

Some people think Young Earth is rather preposterous, too.

But Flat Earth denies what you can see with your own eyes.  At least Young Earth doesn't do that.

So why do they think you see completely different stars in the southern hemisphere??

Or have their seasons at different times of the year.

According to the Flat Earth Society's Wiki, the sun moves in circles around the North Pole and that's how seasons change.  Flat Earth Society clearly believes the early is a flat disc so I'm not sure how my friend who believes it's rectangular would explain it.

• Like 1

Because you don't need to understand any science about carbon dating or cosmology etc.

You can fly or sail around the earth and see it's round. You can look at images of earth taken from space.

Yes, and also--until someone invents a time machine we cannot directly observe the past.

There are many humans at this point who have actually gone into space and orbited around the spherical earth. By contrast, no one has gone back in time millions of years to see what was going on in our little part of the universe--or even to prove that the universe existed at that time.

We have lots and lots of secondary evidence, but no direct proof. A belief in (past) miracles can account for the apparent inconsistencies between what we observe in geologic and fossil evidence and a particular interpretation of the Bible, allowing belief in a young earth.

For flat earth you have to believe that everything is a big conspiracy.

• Like 1