Menu

Setback for definitive proof of a flat Earth:

maize

Dc has some friends whose parents believe this stuff.  Blows my mind.  They seem nice, but they are into conspiracies.  The kids don't believe it - thankfully, they were in high school before their parents "learned" about the government tricking us.   :001_rolleyes:

• Like 1

🙄

Do these people really believe this stuff or do they just say they do for attention?

Actually, the FE theory is becoming quite popular among homeschoolers. And yes, it pains me to type that. Crippling pain. Combined with hysterical laughter because ffs, people.

I'm in a couple huge hsing FB groups, and Flat Earth vs. Round Earth debates are like the new YEC vs. OEC. One pops up at least once a week with dozens of people solidly (rabidly, even) on the FE side.

And apparently, some curriculum providers now have to warn customers if their products might contradict the FE theory so homeschool parents can supplement with the appropriate FE resources.

Yup. 

If you really want to weep for the future of homeschooling, check out the comments on this blog post written by Dr. Wile.

• Like 12

Actually, the FE theory is becoming quite popular among homeschoolers. And yes, it pains me to type that. Crippling pain. Combined with hysterical laughter because ffs, people.

I'm in a couple huge hsing FB groups, and Flat Earth vs. Round Earth debates are like the new YEC vs. OEC. One pops up at least once a week with dozens of people solidly (rabidly, even) on the FE side.

And apparently, some curriculum providers now have to warn customers if their products might contradict the FE theory so homeschool parents can supplement with the appropriate FE resources.

Yup. 

If you really want to weep for the future of homeschooling, check out the comments on this blog post written by Dr. Wile.

Those links!  Wow.

Those links!  Wow.

Oh, but there are more. So many more. Like this.

https://flatearthscienceandbible.com/2016/02/16/introduction-to-the-flat-earth-how-it-works-and-why-we-believe-it/

And look, they have their own Reddit!

https://www.reddit.com/r/flatearth/

Sadly, you just missed their international conference. Oh well, maybe next year.

http://fe2017.com/

:banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:

• Like 1

Yup.

This is why we can't have nice things...

Dr. Wile was quite patient in those comments. Come on people. Really.

And yes, I know an IRL flat earther who home schools. *sigh*

• Like 3

Maybe he wants to get a TV show out of it. Every freak gets one nowadays.

What this particular guy seemed to want to get out of it was $$$.

I'm baffled by people who are so skeptical of mountains of evidence (including our own sensory evidence) but so credulous of assertions that are so easily disproved. OK: be a skeptic, but your skepticism shouldn't increase in proportion to how much evidence there is demonstrating a particular scientific or historic or any other kind of theory.

This has to be tongue in cheek:

https://homeschoolingtorah.com/what-we-teach-about-a-flat-earth/

We do not teach a flat earth. However, we have looked through our curriculum to see where this would affect you. To the best of our knowledge, the only subjects that would be affected would be geography and science.

Only geography and science....

• Like 10

This has to be tongue in cheek:

https://homeschoolingtorah.com/what-we-teach-about-a-flat-earth/

We do not teach a flat earth. However, we have looked through our curriculum to see where this would affect you. To the best of our knowledge, the only subjects that would be affected would be geography and science.

Only geography and science....

I think it was a funny tongue in cheek, but wow, the comments on that page are frightening. 

• Like 3

I lost myself briefly in the flat earth.  There seemed to be a lot of chat about 'flat earth maps' and why the UN uses a flat earth map if there isn't some kind of double-bluff going on about knowing that the earth is flat really.  How hard is it to understand that a map viewing the earth from the equator is no more indicative of a globe than one viewing it from the North Pole?

https://openclipart.org/detail/245501/united-nations-symbol

• Like 2

As usual... I just... cannot... find the words.  

The world-wide government(s) conspiracy spanning thousands of years, cultures, and peoples thing is just so mind-bogglingly paranoid...  

I really like the Jay Wiles blog post on the topic.  I appreciate him speaking out, when he probably could have captured/profited from the Flat Earth audience.  

• Like 4

Why doesn’t a group of flat earth believers pick a spot and all start hiking in a different direction until they reach the ice wall? They could prove something without leaving the ground. We recently saw a young adult friend who told us about a friend of his that believed this stuff. He says they won’t listen unless you are willing to read all the Research they’ve read.

• Like 3

I still think someone should set out to go check - wandering this planet for however long it takes (and I assume it will take a LONG time), looking for those ice edges.

Oh, and I'm first in line (with my hubby) to volunteer for the job.  Do you suppose we could get them to fund our "research?"  I guarantee, we'll be quite thorough.  It ought to take years...  :coolgleamA:

• Like 13

Scott Kelly was on Wait, Wait Don't Tell Me a few weeks ago and the topic of flat earth came up. They brought up some great points: 

If the earth was truly flat - wouldn't the edge be a cool place to visit? Kelly said:  "I'd build a house there, my bedroom would be hanging over the edge."

There would be cats there pushing things over the end.

Maybe it was just funny to me?? 

Here's the link for anyone interested: 

https://www.npr.org/2017/11/04/561925338/not-my-job-we-quiz-iss-astronaut-scott-kelly-about-ihop

• Like 10

I don't get why people are so determined to believe in a flat earth. The Bible doesn't teach it. I also love how they conveniently avoid any answer to the question of why no one has fallen off. Is it just because people love to think there is some huge government conspiracy?

They absolutely believe the Bible does in fact teach that the earth is flat.  A flat earther we know explained it.  It's there in Genesis (if you take a really weird interpretation of what it says).

• Like 1

I think this is a teachable topic. If so many people are willing to believe this in spite of all the seeable evidence out there, there's no limit to what a fair number of people can be convinced of given a persuasive person.

This includes reasons for wars and holocausts sadly.

Anything can be a fact. Credible evidence is not needed, just someone they want to believe stating what they claim are facts.

Tis quite scary when one considers the larger picture. But for this topic, I still volunteer to look for those edges for them. They just have to fund it for me!

• Like 11

You are thinking too small. If you're going to do something, do it right. You'll need a couple of yachts and small planes as well, clearly.

I still think someone should set out to go check - wandering this planet for however long it takes (and I assume it will take a LONG time), looking for those ice edges.

Oh, and I'm first in line (with my hubby) to volunteer for the job. Do you suppose we could get them to fund our "research?" I guarantee, we'll be quite thorough. It ought to take years... :coolgleamA:

• Like 9

Do these people really believe this stuff or do they just say they do for attention?

I'm sure this guy is just doing it for the attention.  

Let's say, hypothetically, that you were skeptical about the roundness of the earth, but you had an open mind, and wanted to prove the earth was flat (or not).  There's all kinds of ways to demonstrate this that cost a whole lot less than the $30,000 he shelled out for this stunt.

They absolutely believe the Bible does in fact teach that the earth is flat. A flat earther we know explained it. It's there in Genesis (if you take a really weird interpretation of what it says).

Here is what gets me.... How does holding, defending, arguing FE "truth" strengthen the case for Christ?

Like the OE/YE wars, it's decisive and diversionary and unnecessary. It makes a major out of a minor. Such a waste of time and opportunity for actual service and contribution to the common good.

Plus, yeah, it's taking up an unintelligent position. Perhaps they feel better about themselves - more righteous somehow - because by believing in FE, they're believing in something that takes more blind faith to adhere to? I don't know, I don't get it. What's the point? Seems fruitless all around.

• Like 5

How did that work? Didn't parents complain? What about the principal?

She used it to discuss questions like "How do we know what we know?"  And it is a good question: What evidence do you personally have for the earth being a sphere(ish) object?  Most people believe that the earth is a sphere because they are told that it is.  

• Like 2

Perhaps they should just walk out of a second story window to test it. :001_rolleyes:

Doesn't this get incredibly close to magic, believing something into physical existence that goes against the laws of nature? I'm kind of surprised that so many people buy into this as part of a religious view that is generally anti-magic, because it's the exposition of umpteen fantasy novels. "Dude steps out of a window, walks on air, and his life is changed forever!" In chapter 2, he meets his mystical life coach on a cloud...

• Like 2

Yup.

I am stunned. Seriously, jaw on the floor stunned. I have never known any IRL. Maybe they don't hang out in Washington State and for that I am grateful. I am so sorry you know so many. That is horrifying.

• Like 5

Yup. 

Nooooooooo.

The Age of Reason appears to be over.

I have been saying that for awhile. :( We are back to pitchforks and torches, and wanting to lock scientists up in towers for being heretics.

• Like 6

And certainly a bigger crew of explorers. Sign me up.

I'd love to have you on the team!

She used it to discuss questions like "How do we know what we know?"  And it is a good question: What evidence do you personally have for the earth being a sphere(ish) object?  Most people believe that the earth is a sphere because they are told that it is.  

And many of us travel... perhaps using compasses, the sun, stars, or similar objects to guide us.  There are so many of us travelers throughout the centuries of human experience that sooner or later, someone would have come to the edge and either disappeared (making folks wonder what had happened and search for them) or they'd take pics and let us all know so we could go see that too.

Folks like Magellan come to mind (and tons of others).

I suppose Amelia Earhart could have been someone who found the edge?  Or maybe it's within the Bermuda Triangle?  

I am so willing to go look... just need funding.  We do what we can, but our funds are limited. (sigh)

• Like 2

We know the earth is round because it looks round. You can see ships and other things disappear over the horizon, bit by bit. They wouldn't do that on a flat earth, they'd just get smaller. Also, the earth makes a round shadow on the moon. I assume most people have personally seen the moon?

• Like 3

We know the earth is round because it looks round. You can see ships and other things disappear over the horizon, bit by bit. They wouldn't do that on a flat earth, they'd just get smaller. Also, the earth makes a round shadow on the moon. I assume most people have personally seen the moon?

Apparently the 'illusion' of ships going hull down (masts visible but not hull) is to do with perspective... or something.  Yes, I spent too much time on this today, but I'm home sick and otherwise looking at Care Homes for my mum, so it's light relief.

Round shadow on the moon but not necessarily a global shadow, you see.

Edited by Laura Corin

For whatever reason, I have never personally seen something disappear over the horizon bit by bit.  And how do you know (for sure) that the shadow on the moon is actually made by the earth?  I mean, how do you, personally, know this?  

When it comes to things that are not directly observable, such as whether or not the earth is a sphere, how much of our understanding of the world do we take on faith?  I'd argue that for most people, the answer is essentially all of it.  

I am not arguing that there isn't ample evidence for the earth being sphere(ish).  I am not a flat earther, and neither is my mother.  But I think that when we teach science, we aren't telling the whole story if we don't tackle the issue of science as a belief system head on.

Edited by EKS
  • Like 5

I don't get the purpose of the conspiracy. Why go to so much trouble to convince people the earth is round if it isn't? Who's gaining what from that?

I present, from the FAQ of the Flat Earth Society: https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=11211.0

People have been into space. How have they not discovered that the earth is flat?

The most commonly accepted explanation of this is that the space agencies of the world are involved in a conspiracy faking space travel and exploration. This likely began during the Cold War's 'Space Race', in which the U.S.S.R and USA were obsessed with beating each other into space to the point that each faked their accomplishments in an attempt to keep pace with the others supposed achievements. However, since the end of the Cold War, the conspiracy is most likely motivated by greed rather than political gains. Thus opening up a tremendous amount of funds to embezzle as it only takes a fraction of the total budget to fake space travel.

In light of the above, please note that we are not suggesting that space agencies are aware that the earth is flat and actively covering the fact up. They depict the earth as being round simply because that is what they expect it to be.

• Like 5

Is this an offshoot of YEC? Both view the Bible as literal truth in all matters.

The really terrifying thing is how many people confuse reading a few blog posts with “researchâ€. Is there no limit to what craziness rational people can be convinced is true?

The amount of coordination it would take to pull off “the globe hoax†is staggering. Do the flat earth people have an answer for that? Or are governments all a hoax as well?? Where does this conspiracy end?!? And, if you really believed that there was a group with so much power that they could pull this off, wouldn’t you be terrified of angering them?? They might throw you off the edge!!

• Like 9

I don't get why people are so determined to believe in a flat earth. The Bible doesn't teach it. I also love how they conveniently avoid any answer to the question of why no one has fallen off. Is it just because people love to think there is some huge government conspiracy?

But what is the conspiracy? Why are we being "duped" into thinking the earth is a sphere?

ETA: After reading more posts above I realize now that we have been lied to and the taxes are being embezzled instead of funding research and space exploration. Well, now there is something we can sink our teeth in...:lol:

Edited by Liz CA
  • Like 3

They absolutely believe the Bible does in fact teach that the earth is flat. A flat earther we know explained it. It's there in Genesis (if you take a really weird interpretation of what it says).

I will have to go searching. Is it the part about the earth was without form part? If they believe all that literally I hope they also adhere to all the Old Testament laws and everything else in there. I don't think you can pick and choose.

• Like 2