Menu

Setback for definitive proof of a flat Earth:

maize

Galileo saw holograms?

Wait, it must be that all of history is also just implanted in our minds!  It's all fake!  So now, not only do we not need to worry our brains about science and direct observation, we can also dispense with learning anything about that pesky history, since it's all just fake anyway!  

Well duh!  When I researched various faiths by looking at their Holy Scripts I don't recall seeing Galileo's name anywhere.  Of course he wasn't a real person!  It was the beginning of Hollywood (and equivalent).

Excuse me??? You do not teach your kids that the SUN is at the center of the solar system? because you "see no reason to"?

I find understanding planetary motion a worthy educational goal.

The motion of the planets in the heliocentric system is caused by the gravitational force between the sun and the planet. It is as easy to explain as twirling a ball on a string in a circle.

I am saying this gently: if you find this "hard to explain", you may want to consider outsourcing your kids' science education.

I think she just confused the terms heliocentric and geocentric.

I mix up words all the time.

Edited by maize
  • Like 4

Excuse me??? You do not teach your kids that the SUN is at the center of the solar system? because you "see no reason to"?

I find understanding planetary motion a worthy educational goal.

The motion of the planets in the heliocentric system is caused by the gravitational force between the sun and the planet. It is as easy to explain as twirling a ball on a string in a circle.

I am saying this gently: if you find this "hard to explain", you may want to consider outsourcing your kids' science education.

GAH! I meant to say geocentric! I DO teach that the sun is the centre. I think that that one little blunder will probably mark me forever here.

Edited by Rose M
  • Like 3

Thank you. I know that I'm ignorant of some of these issues. I certainly don't teach a heliocentric view point because frankly I see no reason to do so. I guess that my questions were just based on ignorance. The issue of what would cause the movement of the planets in a heliocentric model would be hard to explain.

Heliocentric means the sun is the center of our solar system (100% validated by science).

Geocentric is the term for the disproven idea that the earth is the center with the sun and planets revolving around it.

Edited by maize

GAH! I meant to say geocentric! I DO teach that the sun is the centre. I think that that one little blunder will probably mark me forever here.

Phew!!! You had scared me :)

ETA: I deleted my comment. I am so, so glad I don't have to try to convince somebody that it's worth teaching that the earth revolves around the sun

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 7

Same thing with this thread. I am taking a board break for a bit NOT due to anything someone posted.

However, should someone figure out financing for my research... Track me down! :)

Several people here would be qualified to assist you in writing up a proposal to the FE society illustrating the necessity of a thorough scientific study to prove once and for all that the earth is flat...and of course this would entail EXTENSIVE travel across the flat disc and it would take longer obviously as you won't be able to go "around" the globe. Lots of backtracking, double checking, recording and documenting....

• Like 4

Hmm well .......here's a question  in FE does the dome actually touch the edge?  Could there be a space on the edge and then perhaps the bottom?  What's to stop me from going over the edge, down the side, across the bottom, and up the other and back to the top?    What keeps everything stuck to the flat earth.  Is it a flat circle, flat oval or flat rectangle??  Does the sun rise from the "top"side or the "side" side ?   Do we still have 24 hour days?  4 seasons (well I'm in the south I only experience Hot and Hotter with a touch of cool)    

And my biggest question

In all of humanity, not one single person has ever found the edge?   People predicted where they thought land masses would be and went out and found them.  Not in all of history has one smart behind said "here Hold my beer" and reached his hand over the edge?   Tons did so when the earth was thought to be round but in flat earth universe no human has?  I call BS :laugh:  :lol: .  Human nature would simply not allow such a claim to stand without being the first to see it.

• Like 2

It's too damned hot. But, like, not Hell kind of hot, unless it's true that Hell freezes over sometimes.  :huh:

So, what does the footstool rest on and where can I find a picture of this flat earth that has the time zones mapped out?

If you're flying into Tullamarine, Creekland, give us a yell. My testimony is worth nothing without a proper investigating scientist like yourself validating I'm not a hoax.

Elephants.

• Like 2

In all of humanity, not one single person has ever found the edge?   People predicted where they thought land masses would be and went out and found them.  Not in all of history has one smart behind said "here Hold my beer" and reached his hand over the edge?   Tons did so when the earth was thought to be round but in flat earth universe no human has?  I call BS :laugh:  :lol: .  Human nature would simply not allow such a claim to stand without being the first to see it.

NASA guards the ice wall to keep people out—because apparently they don't have anything better to do. ETA: Other than PhotoShop space photos.

Edited by Word Nerd
  • Like 2

*snort* The polar bears, silly. Duh.

But there aren't any polar bears on the south pole.  Never have been. The penguins?  Oh, wait, they're only right on the coast.  Who???

Also not understanding how the NASA scientists are pulling it off.   You know how big Antarctica is (even if it's just a long ice ring around the outside of the flat earth pie)?  And they'd all have frostbite.

The US Gov't can't keep Mexicans from getting across our southern border, but they've been keeping the entire population of the earth from crossing Antarctica from before the US existed?  Wow.

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 4

NASA guards the ice wall to keep people out—because apparently they don't have anything better to do.

Also, keeping guards all around the edge would be expensive, and if they are using their funding for that they can't be just a fake organization set up in order to embezzle taxes, which I though was the whole reason for keeping this a secret in the first place!

Flat earth life is sure confusing, can I go back to the not-quite-spherical earth?

Edited by maize
  • Like 2

Also, keeping guards all around the edge would be expensive, and if they are using there finding for that they can't be just a fake organization set up in order to embezzle taxes, which I though was the whole reason for keeping this a secret in the first place!

Flat earth life is sure confusing, can I go back to the not-quite-spherical earth?

But...the reason no one has built a WALL on either border of the US is that we are secretly diverting funds to pay for all those guards at the borders of the world! And that ice wall!! How much must that cost to go all the way around the world?

Okay this is quasi political but please take it in the sense it's intended: to make fun of all politicians and particularly the not politician flat earthers...if it's a problem don't quote just tell me to delete....

• Like 1

there's some weird thing in pro sports about it. Some (I think it's Kyrie Irving now) are now backtracking and saying it was all a social media experiment but alas, I think it's more likely that just because you are gifted athletically and make $$$$$$ you are not necessarily very clever.

This was Shaq earlier this year.

""So, listen. I drive from coast to coast and this sh*t is flat to me. I'm just saying," he explained — at which point, Kincade interjected: "That is the dumbest thing you have ever said." Laughter followed, but Shaq wasn't finished.

"I drive from Florida to California all the time, and it's flat to me. I do not go up and down at a 360-degree angle, and all that stuff about gravity. Have you looked outside Atlanta lately and seen all these buildings? You mean to tell me that China is under us? China is under us? It's not. The world is flat.""

http://mashable.com/2017/03/19/shaq-flat-earth-explanation/#oHlsn9OllPqS

Wow...just, wow.

Apparently it isn't just a Christian subgroup who believe this--there are also Muslims taking up the cause of the Flat Earth. This article mentions a graduate student in Tunisia who has made the science of a flat earth system the subject of her academic thesis:

http://www.leparisien.fr/sciences/le-retour-en-force-de-la-theorie-de-la-terre-plate-06-04-2017-6829746.php

(article in French, I'll look for an English source)

Edited by maize

Apparently it isn't just a Christian subgroup who believe this--there are also Muslims taking up the cause of the Flat Earth. This article mentions a graduate student in Tunisia who has made the science of a flat earth system the subject of her academic thesis:

http://www.leparisien.fr/sciences/le-retour-en-force-de-la-theorie-de-la-terre-plate-06-04-2017-6829746.php

(article in French, I'll look for an English source)

This has been approved by her dissertation advisors? 

This has been approved by her dissertation advisors?

If you read the English article in the next post it becomes clear that yes the advisor--a professor in a science field--was supportive of the thesis.

It sounds like the final product was on the path to approval before someone leaked it.

She used it to discuss questions like "How do we know what we know?"  And it is a good question: What evidence do you personally have for the earth being a sphere(ish) object?  Most people believe that the earth is a sphere because they are told that it is.  

I agree with her stance on the questioning. If 10,000,000 people say something is true when it isn't, does it make it true? This is the question we explore, not necessarily flat earth vs. round earth. Most people argue what they think they know based on what other's have told them.

• Like 1

Ok, so she supposedly put 5 years of work into her paper.  I want 5 years of funding to double check her work - except mine will consider the real "make or break" aspects of it like real travel to test their map for distances, not just looking into holy books and theories.  ;)

I agree with her stance on the questioning. If 10,000,000 people say something is true when it isn't, does it make it true? This is the question we explore, not necessarily flat earth vs. round earth. Most people argue what they think they know based on what other's have told them.

I don't think the premise is bad, but when one chooses to reject science we can see (like satellite information, telescope information, things like retrograde motion, etc) in favor of a holy book saying something interpreted to be different, it's honestly not a science paper.

To me, this is totally different than the science aspect of YE vs OE as neither rejects what is seen.  eg Science based YE do not dispute dinosaur bones being real.  (And for those who might not remember, I don't really care which is correct of this latter bit - it's history - as long as everyone agrees that what we see NOW is not disputed like mutations, etc.  To date I have not seen that problem happening.  I only see different explanations to how we got to this point - or a point a few thousand years ago.  One may or may not agree with various dating techniques, but there is no archive one can go to to prove either without a shadow of a doubt if a creator is involved.)

These FE folks are totally blinded to what can be literally seen and tested - now.  

• Like 2

Elon Musk shouldn't dignify that with a response.

And if he does not respond, he will prove their point.

I think some folks forget that there are Christians and Muslims (and others) working in space programs - seeing things first hand rather than just hearing about them.  There would be no advantage for them to lie or to buy into the gov't conspiracy.  I suppose they write them off as not being really a member of their faith.

It amazes me that anyone could think the whole world could get along enough for centuries to have a single conspiracy like this.

If one feels telescopes are all programmed with a hologram (or whatever), make your own using your own supplies.  It's not really that difficult to do, esp just to see the moon or planets.

• Like 1

If you read the English article in the next post it becomes clear that yes the advisor--a professor in a science field--was supportive of the thesis.

It sounds like the final product was on the path to approval before someone leaked it.

Oh dear. Creekland should get in touch with her. The student will need some help on that project. Hopefully she has secured a grant already and Creekland can get started pronto.

Edited by Liz CA
  • Like 1

And if he does not respond, he will prove their point.

In their minds, their point is already proven. Nothing he says can change that - but by responding to them, he is lending their ideas a credibility they do not deserve. "Look, even big minds feel they need to defend themselves! Because we're right!"

I find it funny that the only time people trust the competency of the government is when it has to do with conspiracy theories. They can pull off an elaborate ruse tricking people all over the world into falsely believing that the earth is round, yet they can't accurately deliver my mail.

Apparently the world is very easy to trick...

• Like 1

In their minds, their point is already proven. Nothing he says can change that - but by responding to them, he is lending their ideas a credibility they do not deserve. "Look, even big minds feel they need to defend themselves! Because we're right!"

Their minds are already closed on the topic, but those reading are often wondering and curious, esp when they are younger.  If he does not answer with a credible supported answer, they'll seize on that as supporting the other side.  It's only once one is older and BTDT that one realizes arguing with a closed mind is pointless.  Younger folks (or those new to the thought) never take it that way.

Apparently the world is very easy to trick...

And that, as I stated long ago, is where this gets scary.  Many can be tricked into believing all sorts of false things, esp by videos or similar.  Who cares if it's actually true when it supports what one wants to believe?  The mind sees it and believes it.  It doesn't matter if it's real.

That so many can be so easily tricked into believing FE - when they can literally SEE it if they try, or test out irrefutable proofs, it's very, very scary.  Just the regular old fashioned trickery is bad enough.

Put together, things like that cause Holocausts and plenty of other "everyday" wrongs like prejudice and bullying - or even snake oil cures.

Truth?  Who cares?  I want to believe X, so I'm going to!

• Like 1