Menu

Chobani Greek Yogurt

Night Elf

I tasted greek yogurt once and didn't like it. However, it's hard to find non-Greek yogurt. There are very few choices. So I decided to try the greek yogurt again. I chose Chobani flavored yogurt. I am in love. Yes, it has sugar in it and I'm sure there are some out there who think I'm nuts to want to eat yogurt with sugar but the flavors I've had so far have been heavenly. I had pumpkin spice this morning. My favorite is maple but it's a limited edition. I would imagine the pumpkin spice is as well. I didn't read the container. Even their fruit on the bottom flavors are delicious. These are way better than the Yoplait light I was buying. I still can't eat plain yogurt though. It's just yuck. So I'll stick to my flavored yogurt. It's better than apple pie which is what I had every night for the longest time. It's better than cookies or cake. That amazes me.

• Like 5

I have a recommendation for a non-Greek style yogurt if you can find it.

Trader Joes sells it as "European style" Organic full-fat yoghurt under their brand name (red label). This same yougurt is sold by the manufacturer as "Continental" full-fat yoghurt in many super-markets.

It tastes very real. No stabilizers. A pleasant tang, but not sour.

Really good stuff.

Bill 

I have a recommendation for a non-Greek style yogurt if you can find it.

Trader Joes sells it as "European style" Organic full-fat yoghurt under their brand name (red label). This same yougurt is sold by the manufacturer as "Continental" full-fat yoghurt in many super-markets.

It tastes very real. No stabilizers. A pleasant tang, but not sour.

Really good stuff.

Bill 

I don't have a Trader Joes nearby. Are you saying I should look for the brand label Continental at my regular grocery stores?

I like Chobani too, and the nutritional profile. I do have a friend who has posted on FB about how unhealthy it is due to the sugar, but in my book 15 gm of sugar is okay for part of my diet. Much better than Tillamook yogurt's 37 gm! And I love the protein content. Lime was my favorite but it has a little saturated fat in it which I'm counting, so now I usually go for strawberry, black cherry, or peach (0 sat fat). Have not seen pumpkin spice or maple!

I don't have a Trader Joes nearby. Are you saying I should look for the brand label Continental at my regular grocery stores?

Yes. Continental make two varieties of plain yogurt. Full-fat (Red-label) and Nonfat? (Blue-label).

Their nonfat is nothing that special, but the Red-label full-fat is awesome (at least IMO).

We've been getting the Trader Joes version for a very long time (just because we shop there) but I'm pretty sure it is exactly the same stuff I used to get labeled Continental brand in the supers.

You could add some fresh fruit or jam if you prefer. But this is the best commercial plain yogurt I've had.

Bill

Check their website for more flavors/nutritional info.  I really like Chobani too.

http://www.chobani.com/products

They used to have the 100 line, which was a low sugar, high protein Greek yogurt that had 100 calories.  I loved it as a quick grab and go protein source without all the sugar.  Unfortunately, they just recently (this year) discontinued it).  There are a lot of people begging them to bring it back.

I have been able to find normal yogurt in every grocery store.

Dannon plain yogurt is very nice and has no thickeners or pectin (that is the issue I have with Stonyfield - why the heck do they add pectin?).

I buy 32 oz tubs and mix it with fruit and spices.

Edited by regentrude

They don't add sugar as far as I know to Chobani.  The sugar comes from the yogurt and the fruit. 

Oh no. They do add sugar to the fruit chobani. They don't call it "sugar" on the label - "evaporated cane syrup" sounds better. It's the second ingredient, before the actual fruit, in most of the fruit-on-the bottom ones (except for apricot). The 16 g of sugar don't all come from yoghurt and fruit.

http://www.chobani.com/products/fruit-on-the-bottom#blackberry

It is similar with the blended varieties. The pumpkin spice one has syrup as 2nd ingredient as well.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 1

Sorry, when I said non-Greek was hard to find, I was thinking light yogurts. I've lived on a low calorie food plan for so long that going regular never occurred to me. I only tried the Greek because my nutritionist said I might like the special flavors. I think they are 2% milkfat. I just know they have way more calories than I used to allow myself to eat.

Oh no. They do add sugar to the fruit chobani. They don't call it "sugar" on the label - "evaporated cane syrup" sounds better. It's the second ingredient, before the actual fruit, in most of the fruit-on-the bottom ones (except for apricot). The 16 g of sugar don't all come from yoghurt and fruit.

http://www.chobani.com/products/fruit-on-the-bottom#blackberry

It is similar with the blended varieties. The pumpkin spice one has syrup as 2nd ingredient as well.

Ah ok. 

Way too much sugar. 

I used to love fruity yogurt, then I started buying it plain and added just a little sweetener, and/or fresh fruit.  Now I mostly eat it plain and if I eat a commercial fruity yogurt, it is just too sweet for me; I hate it. Now I make my own yogurt (full fat) and drain it to make it Greek-style.  For a real treat I put in a little maple syrup and some chopped toasted pecans or walnuts.  So delicious and not too sweet.

(This has nothing to do with the OP, I know.  Just joining the general yogurt conversation.)  

• Like 1

It doesn't thin it out though?  I like mine super thick.

The stuff I buy is crazy crazy thick.  Love that stuff. 

You need very little cream.

Heavy cream has 4.5 g fat per tablespoon.

200g of the full fat Fage has 10 g of fat - so if you had non fat, you'd need to add only two about tablespoons of cream.

Now if only one could buy double cream in stores in this diet crazy country.

Sorry, when I said non-Greek was hard to find, I was thinking light yogurts. I've lived on a low calorie food plan for so long that going regular never occurred to me. I only tried the Greek because my nutritionist said I might like the special flavors. I think they are 2% milkfat. I just know they have way more calories than I used to allow myself to eat.

It is actually much easier to find low fat regular yogurt than full fat regular yogurt.

You need very little cream.

Heavy cream has 4.5 g fat per tablespoon.

200g of the full fat Fage has 10 g of fat - so if you had non fat, you'd need to add only two about tablespoons of cream.

Now if only one could buy double cream in stores in this diet crazy country.

Sometimes I whip cream and eat a bowl of that.  :laugh:

Double cream sounds amazing....

DH has become a great yogurt maker. We have an InstantPot (which I first heard about here, so I think a number of us have one). He makes full fat yogurt once or twice a week. You can strain it however much or little you want to thicken it up like Greek Yogurt. It's delicious.

DH has become a great yogurt maker. We have an InstantPot (which I first heard about here, so I think a number of us have one). He makes full fat yogurt once or twice a week. You can strain it however much or little you want to thicken it up like Greek Yogurt. It's delicious.

Is that cost effective? How much milk do you need to make a quart of yogurt?

I use the Dahi, full fat Indian yogurt from Costco. The only ingredient is whole milk. Now, I do add strawberry preserves and other sweet things to it, so I'm no purist. I just love the security of having half a gallon of plain yogurt on hand :-)

I can make yogurt, but I got lazy :-) to get it this consistency I'd need to strain it and that's a lot of time and fridge space.

I love Chobani.  Their yogurts are delicious AND I love the company.  Last year the owner GAVE all of his employees ownership in the company.  I watched the press conference live, and it totally made me a Chobani fan for life.  He was so genuine and heartfelt in communicating is gratitude to his employees.

Eh, it may have more sugar than is necessary, but if my options are to not eat yogurt because we dislike the taste OR eat the sweetened yogurt that we all enjoy eating, I'll take the added dose of sugar.  

Not everyone thinks sugar is the devil.  There are other battles I prefer to pick. :)

• Like 2

Might want to try your yogurt in a savory way. I could eat a whole tub of food tzatziki! I use full fat plain yogurt, grated cucumbers, garlic, salt and pepper, tiny bit of minced onion, chopped parsely - so good!

I know it may not be the breakfasty item you're thinking of, but it's a great protein with cut veggies or on a baked potato. Delicious with grilled meats. Yummy with just a spoon.

• Like 3

Might want to try your yogurt in a savory way. I could eat a whole tub of food tzatziki! I use full fat plain yogurt, grated cucumbers, garlic, salt and pepper, tiny bit of minced onion, chopped parsely - so good!

I know it may not be the breakfasty item you're thinking of, but it's a great protein with cut veggies or on a baked potato. Delicious with grilled meats. Yummy with just a spoon.

This sounds delicious! Do you use full fat Greek, or regular?

I love this.

We use yogurt for savory things frequently.  Yogurt lemon sauce over salmon cakes.  Yogurt mixed with tahini with shawarma in pitas.   I would eat boatloads of tzatziki if my family didn't hate cucumbers so much!    Yogurt raita with Indian food too. 

I also make vegetable dip with yogurt instead of mayo and/or sour cream.  For some reason though, if I make onion dip for chips, yogurt seems wrong.  :-)

Is that cost effective? How much milk do you need to make a quart of yogurt?

Not Amanda, but I make my own and find it cost effective. I get at least a quart of very thick Greek yogurt from one gallon of milk. I use the whey for smoothies, so nothing is wasted.