Menu

High maintenance people

Scarlett

I am watching Hgtv House Hunters. The wife is making me want to scream. She has to have a room size closet. Literally the master has to connect to a spare bedroom so she can make a door into it and turn the whole thing into a closet. What is wrong with people. How many outfits can you even own realistically?

• Like 4

My high school homeroom teacher has more than 30 suits :) The guys in my homeroom class counted.

I have not counted but I likely have more than 30 dresses, overcoats and handbags each. Some are more than 20 years old and in good condition. I just have not changed in dress size or shoe size since I was in 5th grade.

LOL! My SIL uses a spare room as her closet. She doesn't have kids and her life is so radically different from mine that sometimes we can't even carry on a conversation. We do both read a lot though, so we can fall back on that. We don't see them often, but my dh appreciates me more after spending time with her!

• Like 2

I have heard of people doing a family closet, especially a large family with lots of young kids, and using a bedroom for that (which I actually think is rather brilliant). But for one person to demand a bedroom sized closet... maybe she's been watching a little too much HGTV.

I guess if the person were a public figure (i.e. photographed often or otherwise in need of a large wardrobe) or in the fashion industry, I would be more understanding. But it seems rather self indulgent. I'm always more impressed by the capsule wardrobe gals who can swaperoo and accessorize 10 easily stored garments into a hundred different looks.

• Like 3

I knew someone like this! They had a 3 bedroom house, and she turned 1 room into a closet. When I saw it, I was speechless.  It was really hard not to say something rude.  I just couldn't believe it.  She had more clothes than I had ever seen anyone actually own at one time.  And shoes.  There were so many shoes.  

• Like 2

I knew someone like this! They had a 3 bedroom house, and she turned 1 room into a closet. When I saw it, I was speechless. It was really hard not to say something rude. I just couldn't believe it. She had more clothes than I had ever seen anyone actually own at one time. And shoes. There were so many shoes.

I know right? This just astounds me.

My husband worked on a house plan for a famous person and the shoe closet alone was the size of our master bedroom. Our master bedroom isn't huge, but big enough for a queen sized bed, a dresser, a chest, a couple smallish chairs, and breathing room.

Edited by TX native
  • Like 1

my brother's last house had a bedroom sized closet off the master.  it was stuffed I seriously don't know how they could have hung another item on the double rods. (per wall). 

dsil was off hunting with his friends - and over guy bonding they were talking about how much stuff their wives had. . . . dsil realized - HE was the one with all the "stuff".  he thanked dd when he got home.  

some of the people are so . . . .. I suspect that's why they get chosen.  entertainment value as people say "I'm not that crazy!"

I am watching Hgtv House Hunters. The wife is making me want to scream. She has to have a room size closet. Literally the master has to connect to a spare bedroom so she can make a door into it and turn the whole thing into a closet. What is wrong with people. How many outfits can you even own realistically?

Give me the money and the closet space, and I am definitely up for the challenge of finding an answer to that question! :D

• Like 8

We once lived in a big old house with few bedroom closets, and there was a windowless room in between 2 bedrooms, across from the bathroom, that functioned as my mother's closet plus linen closet. There was a nice built in vanity. I could use one of those.

I know someone with 4 boys who switched their 4 bedroom house around so that all the boys had just their beds in one room, their tv and toys in another, and then one was set up with tall shelves all around, where she stored all the boys' clothes, and let them figure out what fit them! 

• Like 2

I have clothes for two seasons. DH and I can fit our combined wardrobe for each season into a laundry basket. Excluding DH's work clothes and a dressy outfit for summer and winter each. If pushed I could probably fit those in as well.

But!

Neither of us find shopping pleasurable.

Neither of us put a high priority on clothes.

We wear the same thing every day, we have 8 shirts in the current season basket, and by 8 I mean 4 of one and 4 of another.

But, I have what many would view as an excessive amount of spices. I stripped all the extras out of the kitchen so I could fit my spices. If you were to walk into my kitchen and try to find a box of cereal or a bowl you would scream because the typical locations you would look are full of various spices.

• Like 2

My dream house has room-sized closets.  Not necessarily to stuff full of dream clothes, but to organize junk prettier, lol.  It'd be nice to quit trying to lean in and around the door without tripping over my shoes.  :nopity:

I don't consider myself high maintenance because I'm not demanding it unrealistically.  But I'd definitely push for it if I had the budget!

Our old (and cheap) apartment had a giant walk-in closet that was almost room-sized, but I had to share it with my husband.  :nopity:  :nopity: So it isn't always a budget thing.

My parents had a big walk-in closet instead of building an extra kid bedroom, so my 2 sisters and I always had to rotate who shared a room.  :nopity:  :nopity:  :nopity:

When my mom moved, I made that closet my toddler's bedroom until the house sold, lol.

Our tiny house does have his and hers closets, which is one of the few cool things about this house.

I'm pretty much a born minimalist. With the exception of a well stocked pantry and household necessities like toilet paper I've never felt the need to have tons of stuff. But assuming one can afford it and enjoys it and it doesn't start crossing the line into hoarding or some other mental illness I don't see anything wrong with it. People enjoy what they enjoy. If that woman enjoys her clothes collection and she wants a room sized closet and can afford it then that's her business.

• Like 5

One of DH's coworkers has an entire bedroom as his closet. He's 6'4" so all of his clothes are bigger to begin with, and he dresses very well. His wife has lovingly complained of his clothes horse tendencies, but he doesn't seem high maintenance overall.

If I had the budget and I was sure I was finished having my body change with any additional babies, I'd love to have a closet full of beautiful clothes. Target and Old Navy clearance are good enough for now.

This was the set up in our current house. There are three bedrooms upstairs, two were very small and one of those was used as a closet with a door opening to the master bedroom (which is also small, but bigger than the other two). We were already doing renovations, so we had the contractor move the wall between our son's room and the closet room, making his room bigger and the closet room much more closet sized. 

My mom's current house doesn't have a closet  in her room so she turned one of her bedrooms into a closet. She just sold her house (turned that room back into a bedroom) and will be going to a normal size (albeit a walk in) closet. ;) 

Needed? No, but can be useful. Personally DH and I share a closet that is less then 4 feet wide (not walk in) so I really don't see the need. :giggle:

My dream house has room-sized closets.  Not necessarily to stuff full of dream clothes, but to organize junk prettier, lol.  It'd be nice to quit trying to lean in and around the door without tripping over my shoes.  :nopity:

I don't consider myself high maintenance because I'm not demanding it unrealistically.  But I'd definitely push for it if I had the budget!

Our old (and cheap) apartment had a giant walk-in closet that was almost room-sized, but I had to share it with my husband.  :nopity:  :nopity: So it isn't always a budget thing.

My parents had a big walk-in closet instead of building an extra kid bedroom, so my 2 sisters and I always had to rotate who shared a room.  :nopity:  :nopity:  :nopity:

When my mom moved, I made that closet my toddler's bedroom until the house sold, lol.

Our tiny house does have his and hers closets, which is one of the few cool things about this house.

Yes!  I want a bigger closet, but not for more clothes.  Half of mine is taken up with boxes of homeschool stuff.   :D

• Like 2

I wouldn't mind a closet/dressing room.

I contemplated putting up shelves next to the laundry room for everyone so I no longer have leg a laundry basket. You could choose to get dressed there or being your clothes to your room. Then this actually became a thing. I was ahead of my time.

Edited by kewb

I find some of the women on HGTV really impossible. 

I maybe can see the closet thing.  I have always had a tiny closet, and I make it work.

If I had a large, room sized one though, I would probably expand the sense of "closet" to "dressing room."  I'd have a vanity table, hair dryer set up there, and all that kind of thing.  Mending supplies, shoe polish.  I do tend to be moved to over-indulge in shoes.  A dressing room would really enable that tendency.

I have seen people who are serious collectors of clothes - it's their hobby like some people collect antiques.  There is a used clothing store near me that I like that started out that way - the owner was interested in vintage clothes, not just ones she would wear but exciting or interesting or historical things.  Eventually it overflowed her house and a storage space so she opened a shop.

But, the other side of this I think is that the cheap clothing market has become huge, stores like H&M.  These stores have tons of cheap clothes, they want people to shop every week, and often things are worn only a few times.  They don't have four seasons, they have 20+.  The clothes themselves aren't even useful for resale, because they aren't well made enough.  I don't think this is a great trend, its so wasteful.

• Like 2

A lot of your posts are about creative solutions.,....this couple,bought a 3500 SF new home. All the bedrooms had huge walk in closets.

Of. Purse people have the right to own how ever many clothes they want......but there is a line of ridiculousness. I realize the extremes make good tv.

Personally, I think House Hunters purposely exaggerates what people want for two reasons... They like being watched - those things attract viewers - and they are probably funded by house building suppliers/companies - so folks get ideas they want to spend money on.

One bad thing those shows are doing IMO is building unrealistic expectations.  Folks IRL end up wanting more than they can afford and either go into excessive debt to get it or feel their house is woefully inadequate.  I honestly don't recall so many people being disappointed in their house in the "old days" as I see today.  My grandma raised six kids in a one bathroom house and was thrilled to have that bathroom because she didn't when the first two kids were young.  The bedrooms in that house were "weird."  You had to walk through one to get to two others.  It was affectionately nicknamed "The Observation Room."  Closets were small.  One bedroom was micro sized - only barely fit a twin bed and then the door didn't open completely due to it - no closet, etc.  She loved that house... no tile flooring, no granite countertops, no new appliances, on a super busy road.  Her only complaint came from too much iron in the water.

Our personal house would be scoffed on any HH show.  I'll even admit I want to change the flooring in it and a second bathroom would be nice, but we haven't chosen to spend the money on either.   :D  We'd rather travel or do things with our boys.  Such are our priorities.  :coolgleamA:

We watch the Caribbean, Beachfront Bargain Hunt, and some International versions of HH and hope someday we can find a nice bargain since we're incredibly willing to "put up with" outdated things that are still in great condition.   :lol:

• Like 6

I definitely don't need a large closet due to clothing, but I do like having big closets for storing stuff in general. 

I don't have large closets though.  My house is nearly 100 for one thing.  They didn't make large closets back then!  There have been some added that aren't bad, but I do wish I had more.

My parents home, built in 1975, has a room off the master bedroom that is essentially a closet. You can only get to it through the master. One wall has a large biult in closet (my dad's), another wall has two large built in closets (mom's). Another wall has a small window. My mom has a nice area rug, a small desk and a kind of lounge sofa/chair thing that probably has a fancy name I can't remember. I suppose the intention was people would have a nice space to dress in.

I have a big closet that is almost empty because I don't care much about clothes or shoes and only have a handful of outfits. I hung some of my favorite artwork on the walls in there, and now every time I open the door, it's like my own little personal art gallery. I love it.

I don't think I'd need a room-sized closet attached to my master bedroom, but a spare bedroom connected to the master? I could go for that. Put my writing desk, lamp, extra books and a day-bed in there for when I can't sleep at night, and I'd put all my painting stuff in there too.

That would be nice!

• Like 1

I don't think I'd need a room-sized closet attached to my master bedroom, but a spare bedroom connected to the master? I could go for that. Put my writing desk, lamp, extra books and a day-bed in there for when I can't sleep at night, and I'd put all my painting stuff in there too.

That would be nice!

They showed the follow up and she had turned a big bedroom...probably 15 X15....into all clothes closet. 

They showed the follow up and she had turned a big bedroom...probably 15 X15....into all clothes closet. 

Each to their own, I guess. But as long as it was all easy to rip out, having a large room attached to the master room would still be a big selling point for me. I can see all kinds of use for the space besides a big closet. 

Each to their own, I guess. But as long as it was all easy to rip out, having a large room attached to the master room would still be a big selling point for me. I can see all kinds of use for the space besides a big closet. 

Oh sure.  My boss had one built that way and the room could have been used or exercise room, office, nursery, craft room.  That wasn't the issue for me.  It was the whole 'I have so many clothes that the double walk ins in a brand new house isn't enough, I have to have an entire room for my clothes' 

But I admit the older I get the more minimilist I am becoming. 

What's "self-indulgent" to one person is suitable to another. A lot of people would think it's over the top to have a craft room, sewing room, "man cave", home gym, homeschool room or any other space just dedicated to a hobby or lifestyle. Some of the craft room folks would be horrified by someone who needs a huge closet. Some people are horrified by all of it. Doesn't matter a bit to me...

Edited by wonderchica
  • Like 2

What's "self-indulgent" to one person is suitable to another. A lot of people would think it's over the top to have a craft room, sewing room, "man cave", home gym, homeschool room or any other space just dedicated to a hobby or lifestyle. Some of the craft room folks would be horrified by someone who needs a huge closet. Some people are horrified by all of it. Doesn't matter a bit to me...

Well obviously different people have different income and spending levels and different needs.  I am not horrified by any of that.  I am irritated by the entitled mentality....that her entire purchase of a house revolves around having an entire room to hold her clothes.  I know it just makes good tv though.

• Like 1

I don't see any entitled mentality. People has always custom built their houses to suit their needs if they could afford to. She is purchasing a house, not being a house guest and demanding the host let her have a spare bedroom as her clothes closet.

• Like 1

I don't see any entitled mentality. People has always custom built their houses to suit their needs if they could afford to. She is purchasing a house, not being a house guest and demanding the host let her have a spare bedroom as her clothes closet.

Did you watch the episode?  Yes she acted very immature and entitled.  To me.  People can do whatever they want.

We once lived in a big old house with few bedroom closets, and there was a windowless room in between 2 bedrooms, across from the bathroom, that functioned as my mother's closet plus linen closet. There was a nice built in vanity. I could use one of those.

I know someone with 4 boys who switched their 4 bedroom house around so that all the boys had just their beds in one room, their tv and toys in another, and then one was set up with tall shelves all around, where she stored all the boys' clothes, and let them figure out what fit them! 

Yes! That's the "family closet" concept I mentioned upthread. I think that's super smart!

Did you watch the episode?  Yes she acted very immature and entitled.  To me.  People can do whatever they want.

That's the part I bet they wanted her to really go off on for the entertainment value.

I know when we buy a place we're set on certain things others might not care about.  We want a good view most of all... ;)

When we bought our farm, the seller (sale by owner) asked if we wanted to go through the house a second time.  Hubby and I looked at each other and said no, we liked the outside so much we didn't give a hoot about the inside and would live with whatever it was (already having looked at it once).  We've done that.  We repainted before we moved in and replaced one old carpet.  Hubby rewired for breakers instead of fuses too.  That was it before we moved in.  Since then we've replaced windows and pipes, etc, but only as we had time and money for it.  Most of the things inside are the same as they were 20 years ago (just celebrated our 20th year here).  They were old then too... but they work just fine.

• Like 2

I don't know. I still think it's funny that so many people on this board assume every living space has a linen closet big enough to hold extra blankets and pillows.

A linen closet isn't a given in every home.

Our house doesn't have one.  We piecemeal where things go.  It works.  Adding a linen closet isn't even on our wish list.

Personally, I think House Hunters purposely exaggerates what people want for two reasons... They like being watched - those things attract viewers - and they are probably funded by house building suppliers/companies - so folks get ideas they want to spend money on.

One bad thing those shows are doing IMO is building unrealistic expectations.  Folks IRL end up wanting more than they can afford and either go into excessive debt to get it or feel their house is woefully inadequate.  I honestly don't recall so many people being disappointed in their house in the "old days" as I see today.  My grandma raised six kids in a one bathroom house and was thrilled to have that bathroom because she didn't when the first two kids were young.  The bedrooms in that house were "weird."  You had to walk through one to get to two others.  It was affectionately nicknamed "The Observation Room."  Closets were small.  One bedroom was micro sized - only barely fit a twin bed and then the door didn't open completely due to it - no closet, etc.  She loved that house... no tile flooring, no granite countertops, no new appliances, on a super busy road.  Her only complaint came from too much iron in the water.

Our personal house would be scoffed on any HH show.  I'll even admit I want to change the flooring in it and a second bathroom would be nice, but we haven't chosen to spend the money on either.   :D  We'd rather travel or do things with our boys.  Such are our priorities.  :coolgleamA:

We watch the Caribbean, Beachfront Bargain Hunt, and some International versions of HH and hope someday we can find a nice bargain since we're incredibly willing to "put up with" outdated things that are still in great condition.   :lol:

Yeah, I do think it makes people discontent.  They feel like, if they don't have granite counters, their house is inadequate. 

This reminds me though about the thread about social media and whether it creates discontent.

• Like 3

If I had an extra room for storage, it would have big long racks, like quilt racks, but with tablecloths on them.  I have a collection of maybe 30 or so vintage tablecloths from the 1940s-60s, with bold fruit designs on them.  I love them, but I hate ironing them.  If I could just get them out of the drier and hang them up, and then put them out on the table when I was ready to use them, that would be so nice.  As it is, I have them folded up and stacked in a cupboard, and they come out very creased and wrinkled.  But I can't really complain, because they are luxury and I do have them!

The other thing that would be in it would be bulk bins on shelves--those 5 gallon buckets of staples--flour, sugar, rice, dry beans, etc--with the big alpha lids.  I love those, but I don't really have a good place to put them.  And it would have back up quantities of spices so I could buy them in bulk bags from Penzey's, in glass apothecary jars.  Dry pasta in glass jars, too.  I'm all about buying in bulk and not having to run out to the store because I ran out of something.

Oh, and my china, I guess, lower priority but if there was room it would be the logical place for it.  Extra seldom used serving or baking dishes also, I guess.

Hmmm.

Seems like we are talking about a butler's pantry.  I'm a butler at heart!  

Edited by Carol in Cal.
  • Like 4

I don't know. I still think it's funny that so many people on this board assume every living space has a linen closet big enough to hold extra blankets and pillows.

I know right.  My house is not that small...about 1900 sf....but the closet situation is not great.  The master is adequate (not extravagant at all) and the 2nd downstairs bedroom is very adequate for a kids room--almost as big as the master.  But there was no coat closet, no linen, closet, no place for towels or toiletries in the bathrooms...just crazy.  Dh has build me a linen closet in the corner of a big hallway....and built a makeship closet under the staircase.  (who doesn't have a closet under the staircase?)  In out bathrooms he built cabinets over the toilet in one and on the wall in the other for towels.  Upstairs in the loft area--no closet.  Just got one built last week...still working on it. 

I put blankets and sheets in my cedar chest.....I just have to be creative.

Yeah, I do think it makes people discontent.  They feel like, if they don't have granite counters, their house is inadequate. 

This reminds me though about the thread about social media and whether it creates discontent.

Right I agree.  One tiny house had a cabin feel and the counter top was red laminate.   It was cute.  But she was just 'oh no this will NEVER work.  So comical.

Right now my counter top is a hodgepodge of original, a patch of some granite looking laminate in the area where dh moved the line of cabinets to form an angle, and plywood for the bar he built (a mock up for when we gut the kitchen)....it was suppose to be temp but here we are 5 years later. 

Right I agree.  One tiny house had a cabin feel and the counter top was red laminate.   It was cute.  But she was just 'oh no this will NEVER work.  So comical.

Right now my counter top is a hodgepodge of original, a patch of some granite looking laminate in the area where dh moved the line of cabinets to form an angle, and plywood for the bar he built (a mock up for when we gut the kitchen)....it was suppose to be temp but here we are 5 years later. 

Oh -

- it has some profanity IIRC.

I would like a somewhat bigger closet, or at least one that opened more. 

But I used to live in a house that had a big cedar lined closet in the basement laundry room.  It was great for storing out of season clothes, especially winter coats and boots.  I have no good place for them now, so they either take up room in the main closet, or I have to pack them into boxes.

I do wish we had a coat closet.  I didn't think I would miss it as much as I do.

I know right?  This house of mine was built in 1980 and in all of that time no one had thought to put a closet under the stairs.  There was a door there....and they put the hot water tank in there....but still there was plenty of room for a closet!  Dh put me a rod and shelf in there, and we have installed a new tankless water heater and located it in another utility type closet....so the original tank can be pulled out and the entire space finished uped propertly. 

• Like 3

Wait, not all homes have a linen closet? Really? I had no idea.