Menu

What I want to say on FB right now

Moxie

This thread has given me alot to think about. It makes me feel less irritated that they recently banned fireworks within my town's city limits. I am a 4th of July fan. I love the patriotism, I love the firework displays and I grew up having huge 4th of July family get-togethers that went for hours. Lots of wonderful memories for me as well as my boys who are now grown. I was lamenting that our three littles at home will not get that experience and feeling frustrated. I hadn't thought about many of these situations (pets yes but not dementia and soldiers etc). This does help a bit to provide a different perspective.

This post reminded me of our community board where people go to complain about just about everything in their first world problem way. One neighbor was posting a "if you let your cat outside just know you are a horrible person, neighbor and pet owner because a cat got in my yard and killed some baby birds" post. I got where she was coming from but oh my word...biology, nature...cat. These things do happen. People were posting the usual agreement and shaming or "hey I let my cat out but he has a bell" etc etc. This one neighbor posts "stop feeding my cat baby birds. Thank you from your concerned neighbor" and I just about spit out my morning coffee. Snarky yes, but funny. Sometimes those are the types of responses that goes through my head when people find a way to complain about every single thing.

• Like 1

OT but related to the above post, about the cat. Our HOA requires that we clean up poop after our pets. The new newsletter reprimanded those who don't, issued a stern reminder, but ON TOP OF THAT, said pet owners need to keep their pets from peeing on other people's landscaping because it can kill their plantings! We have tiny yards and mailboxes by the sidewalks with many having flowers planted around the mailbox. How on earth am I supposed to stop my leashed, otherwise well controlled small dog from peeing in other people's planting when their landscaping is right at the sidewalk???

On topic, I'm for fireworks where it is legal. I think it is petty to ask neighbors to not use them in places where it is legal. Those people adamantly against them have many places to live where it is illegal, but understand just up and moving isn't so easy. However, for the sake of those with children or adults who for whatever reason are severely afraid of loud spontaneous sounds that sound almost exactly like random terror acts we unfortunately are seeing too much of in the most unsuspected of places, I,wish a time frame limit was placed on the use and enforced. I used to be fine with unexpected bings and bangs from every direction, but not since all the random public bombing and shooting things in the last several years. While not in fear of fireworks myself, the randomness of it does put me on edge. I can imagine it is most difficult for those who have been in or near some type of trauma involving firearms or bombs.

Edited by TX native

Oh goodness. They're discussing fireworks on another board I'm on and someone pointed out how frightened many people with dementia become when fireworks go off. :(

Not just dementia but also schizophrenia, especially paranoid schizophrenia.

However, there will always be somebody who is affected. I don't think nobody should ever enjoy fireworks anywhere for that reason but it's nice when it's an organized display, hopefully safe and with a predictable end time.

• Like 3

Yeah, I sometimes feel nostalgic for the fireworks we had as a kid. They've been banned in most of Australia since the 80s. The only states that have them (and they are small states) allow them for one day a year, and people still suffer major injuries every year - blindings, burnings, and amputations. My brother blew off his hand  - 1985, I think it was. 

I tell my daughter that while we had fireworks as a kid, we didn't have glow sticks or marshmallows, so she should be satisfied with that. 

This is one reason that state and national park campgrounds and cabins are at full occupancy over the 4th--many (most?) don't allow fireworks. They're a refuge for people who want to get themselves (and/or their dogs)  far away from them.

• Like 1

OT but related to the above post, about the cat. Our HOA requires that we clean up poop after our pets. The new newsletter reprimanded those who don't, issued a stern reminder, but ON TOP OF THAT, said pet owners need to keep their pets from peeing on other people's landscaping because it can kill their plantings! We have tiny yards and mailboxes by the sidewalks with many having flowers planted around the mailbox. How on earth am I supposed to stop my leashed, otherwise well controlled small dog from peeing in other people's planting when their landscaping is right at the sidewalk???

That's not a really hard thing to train. It starts with training the dog to do all his business in your own yard before walking. My dog has a 'peeing bush.' I can then walk to where there are natural areas where he can be freer. In addition to damaging tender plants, it is kind of gross to allow a dog to be pee where someone digs, weeds, deadheads etc.

My sweet neighbor walks with a spray bottle of water so he can dilute the pee if his dog urinates in someone else's yard. I honestly don't care if a dog pees on my lawn or a tree. I love dogs. But peeing in my pansy beds would annoy me.

Edited by Danestress

But won't.

It is 4th of July weekend and this is the Midwest. I'm sorry your dog is afraid of fireworks but they are legal in this area and it is really just one week a year. Stop asking your neighbors to not have fireworks and focus on finding ways to help your dog. This is not a new thing! "Giving the neighbors a piece of your mind" because they have fireworks just makes you look like a crazy asshat.

Probably better to use that energy to petition local government to restrict fireworks by type, time or place, and then to strictly enforce those limits.

• Like 1

That's not a really hard thing to train. It starts with training the dog to do all his business in your own yard before walking. My dog has a 'peeing bush.' I can then walk to where there are natural areas where he can be freer. In addition to damaging tender plants, it is kind of gross to allow a dog to be pee where someone digs, weeds, deadheads etc.

My sweet neighbor walks with a spray bottle of water so he can dilute the pee if his dog urinates in someone else's yard. I honestly don't care if a dog pees on my lawn or a tree. I love dogs. But peeing in my pansy beds would annoy me.

I do agree that one should make every attempt to prevent one's dog from peeing on beautiful plantings. I am laughing a little at the thought that other non domesticated animals are not doing their business in that flowerbed.

As to the fireworks, I hate them because they scare all the animals. I was scarred decades ago watching a mother duck trying to soothe her ducklings during a fireworks show. Never attended a fireworks show again. Quiet fireworks I could get behind.

• Like 3

It's actually a much harder thing to train some dogs to urinate in their own yard than you might realize. It is usually relatively easy to train a dog to urinate on a curb (that's one of the meanings of "curb your dog" signs in cities). Teaching defecation on command is even harder, as there seems to be a subset of dogs who absolutely have to walk a good bit before they're able to eliminate. Many people don't have yards large enough to accomplish that. I do agree that flower beds should be avoided if at all possible. That's just common courtesy.

I admit I'm a bit prejudiced but I don't get being grossed out by the idea of working in an area where a dog or cat may have eliminated. Birds, rabbits, squirrels and other wildlife "go" in the same areas as pets do. I'm much less bothered by the idea of a healthy, vaccinated pet (which is most household pets, and especially those whose owners bother to walk them) than by wildlife who may harbor who-knows-what diseases and parasites.

• Like 2

I wish they'd make them legal, but impose a time frame. Set off what you want, but do it only on the 4th and New Years, and only between 7pm and 10pm or whatever. 

The vast majority of the municipal fireworks displays around here would violate both of those limits.

With the 4th being on a Tuesday, many cities and towns are electing to have their fireworks over the weekend.  There were a couple yesterday (Friday evening), there will be many shows this evening, and a bunch more on Tuesday.

Also, around here sunset is late: 9:30pm.  Some of the municipal displays begin at 10pm, but most of them start at 10:30 or later.

Wendy

• Like 1

This is one reason that state and national park campgrounds and cabins are at full occupancy over the 4th--many (most?) don't allow fireworks. They're a refuge for people who want to get themselves (and/or their dogs) far away from them.

And this is one of the reasons we MOVED into one. Since serving in Iraq, my dh doesn't handle fireworks well, to say the least.

that would only work if they could restrict fireworks to one evening of the 4th. I am sure fewer people would mind.

Alas, with fireworks going off already at random times, and continuing for another week, this is not a viable option.

Well, for humans they could just grab their headphones and put them on when the fireworks start, right? That seems like an easy solution to me.

For animals, I have no idea what to do.

Fireworks don't bother me, may family, or my pets, so I confess I'd never thought of this being an issue before. We always enjoy a good fireworks show, though we've never purchased our own.

:grouphug: to those who struggle with the sound, and may it pass quickly for you.

I live where private fireworks are illegal, but there will still be occasional people shooting them off from their yards.  From what I can tell from the complaints on Facebook, in some towns the cops are good about enforcing (in some they cruise looking for them) and in others, they aren't.

Each town around here does there own displays, plus there will be displays the entire summer at various fairs.  Anyone who really likes fireworks can probably go to a show every Friday and Saturday night through the entire summer.   We can see the displays from 2 or 3 towns from our backyard, and at least slightly hear a few more.  But the noise is muffled by distance and not such a shock as when the neighbor shoots them off.

• Like 1

It's actually a much harder thing to train some dogs to urinate in their own yard than you might realize. It is usually relatively easy to train a dog to urinate on a curb (that's one of the meanings of "curb your dog" signs in cities). Teaching defecation on command is even harder, as there seems to be a subset of dogs who absolutely have to walk a good bit before they're able to eliminate. Many people don't have yards large enough to accomplish that. I do agree that flower beds should be avoided if at all possible. That's just common courtesy.

I admit I'm a bit prejudiced but I don't get being grossed out by the idea of working in an area where a dog or cat may have eliminated. Birds, rabbits, squirrels and other wildlife "go" in the same areas as pets do. I'm much less bothered by the idea of a healthy, vaccinated pet (which is most household pets, and especially those whose owners bother to walk them) than by wildlife who may harbor who-knows-what diseases and parasites.

I don't see squirrels, rabbits, or chipmunks peeing in my flower beds much. I'm sure they do, but they tend to shy away from the most exposed parts of the yard. Four or five dogs a day certainly produces more damaging and smelly pee. It's not that big of a deal where I live, because there are more spaces for dogs to pee in unlandscaped areas.

But in the neighborhood as described above, I can see it might be a problem for some neighbors. I think it's perfectly reasonable for people to expect that there plantings not be peed on. As a

dog owner and good neighbor, I would consider it my obligation to problem solve. Picking up the poo is mandatory. Pee is actually harder as it can't be removed.

• Like 1

Well, for humans they could just grab their headphones and put them on when the fireworks start, right? That seems like an easy solution to me.

Like, carry headphones around at all times to be prepared for fireworks to go off at random over the course of a week?

And anticipate that one is to come and put them on before the random burst?

And make sure that you're not actually doing anything during this week that would not be conducive to wearing headphones - like conversing with people?

I agree, doing this for a couple hours of set fireworks time would be easy. Doing this for random outbursts of fireworks at all hours over the course of several days is not.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 4

I just wanted to say that I appreciate this thread. Setting off fireworks in our rural neighborhood is common and not overdone and I wouldn't have ever thought about dogs, people with dementia, vets with PTSD being affected. Now that I know if our sons want to do it, I'll know to ask the neighbors that don't set them off if they mind. 

• Like 5

The vast majority of the municipal fireworks displays around here would violate both of those limits.

With the 4th being on a Tuesday, many cities and towns are electing to have their fireworks over the weekend.  There were a couple yesterday (Friday evening), there will be many shows this evening, and a bunch more on Tuesday.

Also, around here sunset is late: 9:30pm.  Some of the municipal displays begin at 10pm, but most of them start at 10:30 or later.

Wendy

I don't think anyone was talking about municipal displays. Those, no matter when they are, are of limited duration with a publicized start time. My point wasn't the specific day/time but to have a specific and limited time. I haven't heard of municipal displays that go all day and night for days on end, which is what happens in my neighborhood.

• Like 4

Like, carry headphones around at all times to be prepared for fireworks to go off at random over the course of a week?

And make sure that you're not actually doing anything during this week that would not be conducive to wearing headphones - like conversing with people?

I agree, doing this for a couple hours of set fireworks time would be easy. Doing this for random outbursts of fireworks at all hours over the course of several days is not.

For clarity--we don't do fireworks other than some sparklers. I'm cheap. But our neighbors do fireworks and we'll sit outside and watch them sometimes.

Devil's advocate--lots of people have issues. Two of my kids have serious anxiety. I've spent many thunderstorms with a crying kid on my lap. My problem is with people who think others shouldn't participate in a legal activity because of their own issues.

• Like 2

For clarity--we don't do fireworks other than some sparklers. I'm cheap. But our neighbors do fireworks and we'll sit outside and watch them sometimes.

Devil's advocate--lots of people have issues. Two of my kids have serious anxiety. I've spent many thunderstorms with a crying kid on my lap. My problem is with people who think others shouldn't participate in a legal activity because of their own issues.

When someone has a peanut allergy, do you still insist on serving peanut butter, even though it is your legal right?

No one is saying "no fireworks, ever". But a little bit of consideration goes a long way.

Yeah, maybe. Why not?

I mean if it affects you or your child so deeply, then why not prepare for it? 

Yeah, I sometimes feel nostalgic for the fireworks we had as a kid. They've been banned in most of Australia since the 80s. The only states that have them (and they are small states) allow them for one day a year, and people still suffer major injuries every year - blindings, burnings, and amputations. My brother blew off his hand  - 1985, I think it was. 

I tell my daughter that while we had fireworks as a kid, we didn't have glow sticks or marshmallows, so she should be satisfied with that.

I'm so sorry to hear about your brother! :(

• Like 1

As an EM physician, I have seen some bad burns/injuries from consumer fireworks gone wrong so I don't have a problem with states that outlaw them. The majority of states where we own homes only allow sparklers and I think this is generally a good compromise although I have also seen some misadventures with these and they are not something we personally will have at least while we still have small children at home.

Our communities do have organized fireworks displays on certain holidays and I think that can be nice (and since it is at one discrete pre-planned time it is much more possible for pet owners, veterans, parents etc to plan ahead). Where our main home is we can actually get a quite nice view of the display from our side lawn/patio/pool but really don't hear much. For our family, viewing July 4th fireworks from the pool is a great option.

Edited by LMV
  • Like 3

I'm sure the neighbours had plenty to say about us last year, but frankly my dear, I don't give a.....

My Soldier deployed that October. On the Glorious Fourth, he showed up with what must have been a gazillion fireworks and even though I have always been more than a bit pyrophobic, my little Caboose baby got to enjoy them and I got my peace of mind because the US Army National Guard had already trained my older son in the safe use of explosives so how could I worry?

My son is in the Middle East while you are sitting comfortably at home posting complaints about your neighbour's fireworks and petting your dog. I don't know where he is. He can't tell me. I do know that he was excited about his unit's living quarters being upgraded from a hole in the ground to a used shipping container when he wrote his last letter to me, but in light of how long our letters take to get to each other, he could be anywhere in the world by now for all I know.

I don't try to figure out where he is because I figure that just as the Army would issue him a wife if it wanted him to have one, it would tell his Mommy where he is if it wanted me to know.

If my son comes home in a pine box next week, I will take a great deal of comfort in the memory of the Glorious Fourth of 2016. I will never forget the one pyrotechnic he set off that he thought I was standing too close to. Instead of yelling at me or calling me an idiot, he sheltered me from the sparks with his own body.

That is what he is doing right now for me, for you, for your poochie-woochie and for this whole imperfect country right now.

If he comes home in a pine box, I will also never forget what you said about Fido and Rover being more important to you than my younger son being able to celebrate and honour his big brother, who has always been a hero to him. I wish I could, but I know I won't.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 3

I'm sure the neighbours had plenty to say about us last year, but frankly my dear, I don't give a.....

My Soldier deployed that October. On the Glorious Fourth, he showed up with what must have been a gazillion fireworks and even though I have always been more than a bit pyrophobic, my little Caboose baby got to enjoy them and I got my peace of mind because the US Army National Guard had already trained my older son in the safe use of explosives so how could I worry?

My son is in the Middle East while you are sitting comfortably at home posting complaints about your neighbour's fireworks and petting your dog. I don't know where he is. He can't tell me. I do know that he was excited about his unit's living quarters being upgraded from a hole in the ground to a used shipping container when he wrote his last letter to me, but in light of how long our letters take to get to each other, he could be anywhere in the world by now for all I know.

I don't try to figure out where he is because I figure that just as the Army would issue him a wife if it wanted him to have one, it would tell his Mommy where he is if it wanted me to know.

If my son comes home in a pine box next week, I will take a great deal of comfort in the memory of the Glorious Fourth of 2016. I will never forget the one pyrotechnic he set off that he thought I was standing too close to. Instead of yelling at me or calling me an idiot, he sheltered me from the sparks with his own body.

That is what he is doing right now for me, for you, for your poochie-woochie and for this whole imperfect country right now.

If he comes home in a pine box, I will also never forget what you said about Fido and Rover being more important to you than my younger son being able to celebrate and honour his big brother, who has always been a hero to him. I wish I could, but I know I won't.

How dare you try to guilt me into potentially feeling sorry for a choice YOUR kid made of his own accord. Nobody forced him so don't you dare tell me how he is doing it for me and expect me to give a shit. If that's how you live with his choices, that's your deal, don't drag me into it.

I have a ton of respect for people who choose to serve, an thankfully none of them have ever presented with this bullshit, entitled attitude.

• Like 5

When someone has a peanut allergy, do you still insist on serving peanut butter, even though it is your legal right?

No one is saying "no fireworks, ever". But a little bit of consideration goes a long way.

This is a good example because some people have kids on the spectrum that will eat nothing but PBJs and yet, peanut allergies csn be so deadly that touching s surface with trace remnants can kill someone. Definitely more extreme than fireworks per se, but I get what you are saying.

I also feel this way about cigarette smoke to be honest. Atleast fireworks are only one day out of the year. I loathe walking through a toxic cloud to go into buildings in the name of people's rights to smoke. It annoys me to no end. I am sure I am sensitive to it since losing so many family members to it and being forced to be in a car while my dad chain smoked out a window. Bleh. With all that said, these thoughts stay firmly planted in my own head when out and about and when my 6 year old is choking on smoke going into Fred Meyer and says something outloud as 6 year olds do, I tell him to please be polite to others choices. In Washington it is banned within buildings which I appreciate but back when there was a smoking and no smoking section it made me laugh because that is like having a peeing and no peeing area of the public pool.

There are so many ways we infringe on others with our choices and own rights. We can go around and around for days on this. The bottom line is we are moving toward fireworks being illegal in many places and at some point they just won't be sold I imagine. This year we have actual signs posted on poles right outside our cul de sac. There is no playing innocent this year and I am sure police will be patrolling. We saw some of that last year.

Still...I think the 4th is so fun. I kind of wish I had a couple acres out in the middle of no where :)

I am going to send you over a hug. After reading your post I tried to imagine what it would be like to not be able to send a text over to my older boys to check in or to not see them each week when they pop in to say hi and chat. My heart aches for what you must experience daily as your heart is off with him. When you talk to him please thank him for his service. My husband served in the army from 92-97 (which was the year I met him). I know that experience has given him a unique perspective as he has gone through life. I pray your son makes it home safe for many more holiday celebrations. Edited by nixpix5
  • Like 2

IEF I am thankful for anyone who chooses to serve. I pray that all who do do cone home safely. I'm glad you have good memories of July 4. People can have good experiences on July 4 without fireworks too.

Having a family member serving or retired does not give anyone a pass at disregarding their neighbors. If I live in a place that has laws that say "no fireworks" or "fireworks only on July 4 during the hours of ..." I do have a right to count on that. The law doesn't say "everyone except service members, they get to do what they want".

When you justify yourself because your ds's service makes you holier than others, I have to wonder what else are you justifying.

Edited by Diana P.
  • Like 7

This is why one of my lifetime goals is to buy large acreage property (over 100 acres) out in the country 

where people with noise-sensitivity can come join us to celebrate holidays like the 4th and New Years Eve

without having to worry about loud bangs and crashes. I'm not to the point where I can do that yet, but I definitely

have goals to accomplish it!

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:   We live on such a property.  Last night we heard fireworks going off while watching TV, so went out to watch.  We could see 5 different sets in all directions.  Four were municipal and one was private.  The "fun" thing by not being right there is the noise is delayed from the sight since light travels faster than sound, but... the fact that we were in watching TV and heard them going off means you aren't going to be noise free just because you're out in the country.   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

That said, we enjoy being able to watch them from our house - no crowds - no driving afterward - no worries about one getting too close, etc, so there are benefits.  

I am surprised so many people set them off in cities.  I would have never guessed.  Seems incredibly dangerous to me to set them off in cities without being in a larger park or something... legal or not.

I am very very grateful for your son's service. However, his service and love of fireworks doesn't negate another soldiers dread of them. Nor does it mean that nothing he ever does will be rude or un neighborly. Shooting off fireworks for days on end, and well into the wee hours of the morning in a residential neighborhood is not polite no matter who does it. That said, it sounds like your son was doing fireworks one night, which I think most of us have said isn't what we are complaining about. We can anticipate and plan for one night, or deal with one night of a baby not sleeping or whatever. It's the people that do it for days/nights all week long that drive us crazy. 

• Like 4

Oh, meant to say that the smaller fireworks are legal here. The bigger ones are not, UNLESS you sign a paper saying you are using them for "agricultural use". So since no one checks, everyone just signs that and buys giant mortars. Sigh. 

(by everyone I mean neighbors...we just get the legal stuff you can buy at Walmart or whatever)

• Like 1

If you didn't know Kevin Haynes was a military veteran, you could probably figure it out when you saw the two flags flying from his front porch -- an American flag and a U.S. Marine Corps flag.

What the flags don't tell you, though, is that the 33-year-old High Point man is not just a veteran, but a combat veteran, and he suffers from post-traumatic stress disorder, or PTSD. That's why, this time of year, you'll also see a red, white and blue sign planted in the front yard of Haynes' home on W. Westwood Avenue.

"Combat Veteran Lives Here," the sign reads. "Please Be Courteous With Fireworks."

Haynes and his wife, Jennifer, put the sign out to remind neighbors and passersby that the Fourth of July can be a difficult holiday for veterans with PTSD.

"We didn't put the sign up to keep people from having a good time during the holiday -- we definitely want people to celebrate the Fourth of July and celebrate our independence," Kevin explains. "All we're wanting people to do is to be aware that there are people out there -- guys like me -- who struggle with PTSD, and fireworks can be a real trigger for us."

Kevin and Jennifer encourage those who have a neighbor with PTSD not to set off fireworks without first notifying the veteran about when and where you plan to set off the fireworks. They also discourage the use of fireworks at odd hours, such as late at night.

"Last year when we put the sign up, we had a neighbor from a couple of houses down who came by and asked us, 'Do you mind if we set off our fireworks?'" Kevin recalls. "We said, 'No, absolutely not -- we want you to enjoy the holiday. But those fireworks people shoot off at 2 or 3 in the morning? Please don't do that.'"

Edited by Pawz4me
  • Like 4

yes, that! Just be courteous!!!! It's not so hard. 

That said, we may do some fireworks on Monday night instead of Tuesday. But they won't be the super loud big ones and we will do them for maybe 30 minutes, and at a time before kids are all asleep, etc. 

• Like 2

May he come home safe to you. I hope, at the very least, you hear from him soon. Thank you to him (and to you) for serving his country.

• Like 1

Oh, meant to say that the smaller fireworks are legal here. The bigger ones are not, UNLESS you sign a paper saying you are using them for "agricultural use". So since no one checks, everyone just signs that and buys giant mortars. Sigh. 

(by everyone I mean neighbors...we just get the legal stuff you can buy at Walmart or whatever)

How do you use a firework "agriculturally"?

• Like 1

This is why one of my lifetime goals is to buy large acreage property (over 100 acres) out in the country

where people with noise-sensitivity can come join us to celebrate holidays like the 4th and New Years Eve

without having to worry about loud bangs and crashes. I'm not to the point where I can do that yet, but I definitely

have goals to accomplish it!

Maybe this property will work for your goal. 120 off the grid acres.

http://www.rockspringshouse.com/

So I googled...

"But according to state law, if they are used to scare off birds from farms or fish hatcheries, the explosives are fair game.

"A lot of organizations use the agricultural exemption but that still doesn't make it legal," said Anna Alexopoulos, a spokeswoman with the Division of the State Fire Marshal.

But enforcing the statute is complicated, law enforcement official say. Absent any concerted enforcement push, the practice generally goes unchecked.

Officers and deputies will respond if a resident complains about a neighbor's illegal fireworks. But the officer must witness the explosion in order to make an arrest and confiscate the items. Arrests are rare, authorities said.

"We address the issue on a case-by-case basis," said Orlando police Cpl. Dave Allmond. "We take it very seriously because they are dangerous. If it's brought to our attention we would enforce the statute."

At most Central Florida fireworks stands, consumers are asked to sign a waiver acknowledging they will only use the illegal fireworks for agricultural purposes. Signing the form doesn't guarantee the consumer protection from the law — but it does absolve the vendor of any legal responsibility, state officials said."

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2013-07-01/news/os-fireworks-orlando-law-enforcement-20130701_1_illegal-fireworks-exploding-fireworks-sparklers-and-fireworks

Edited by unsinkable
  • Like 1

Katie already posted our fireworks laws and our neighborhood sounds much like hers. Some people, including us in past years, set off only small, legal fireworks for a short amount of time on the actual Fourth. Others go all night long and some even all week long. I'm fine with the first, not the second. Our dog was afraid of fireworks so we always spent time comforting him over it.

The Fourth of July isn't the only fireworks holiday around here. It's also common on New Year's Eve. Like the Fourth, some people drag it out for days. 

OT, but sadly we had a couple of people in our homeschool group who did just that, even though we had a child with a severe allergy and were a nut-free group. Fortunately they were only a few, and were reprimanded by others when they brought peanut products (especially peanut butter). Most of us felt keeping that child alive was more important than bringing a PBJ to park day once a month. That child has grown into a lovely young lady.

Yep. Unfortunately no one checks, least of all the fireworks sellers. They want to make an extra buck (big bucks actually). All you have to do is sign. No proof required.

So I googled...

"But according to state law, if they are used to scare off birds from farms or fish hatcheries, the explosives are fair game.

"A lot of organizations use the agricultural exemption but that still doesn't make it legal," said Anna Alexopoulos, a spokeswoman with the Division of the State Fire Marshal.

But enforcing the statute is complicated, law enforcement official say. Absent any concerted enforcement push, the practice generally goes unchecked.

Officers and deputies will respond if a resident complains about a neighbor's illegal fireworks. But the officer must witness the explosion in order to make an arrest and confiscate the items. Arrests are rare, authorities said.

"We address the issue on a case-by-case basis," said Orlando police Cpl. Dave Allmond. "We take it very seriously because they are dangerous. If it's brought to our attention we would enforce the statute."

At most Central Florida fireworks stands, consumers are asked to sign a waiver acknowledging they will only use the illegal fireworks for agricultural purposes. Signing the form doesn't guarantee the consumer protection from the law — but it does absolve the vendor of any legal responsibility, state officials said."

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2013-07-01/news/os-fireworks-orlando-law-enforcement-20130701_1_illegal-fireworks-exploding-fireworks-sparklers-and-fireworks

Yep. Which is pretty much what Katie said.

Soooo... your son's military experience trumps my husband's 27 years of military service? Your family's memory-making is more important than my dh's PTSD? Alrighty then...

I am the first in line to thank our active duty members and our veterans for their service. But that service does not entitle anyone - especially not their family members - to be disrespectful, inconsiderate, or selfish. But you already said you don't give a...

ETA: Again, no one is saying don't do fireworks on the 4th of July, ever. Your family doing fireworks on the 4th is fine. But just a thought: would it have been too difficult to talk with neighbors beforehand to let them know your plans? "Hey Bob and Mary, we're planning on setting off some fireworks this evening in celebration of my son's military service. We should be done by midnight." Not hard.

Edited by Kinsa

:lol: :lol: :lol: We live on such a property. Last night we heard fireworks going off while watching TV, so went out to watch. We could see 5 different sets in all directions. Four were municipal and one was private. The "fun" thing by not being right there is the noise is delayed from the sight since light travels faster than sound, but... the fact that we were in watching TV and heard them going off means you aren't going to be noise free just because you're out in the country. :lol: :lol: :lol:

That said, we enjoy being able to watch them from our house - no crowds - no driving afterward - no worries about one getting too close, etc, so there are benefits.

I am surprised so many people set them off in cities. I would have never guessed. Seems incredibly dangerous to me to set them off in cities without being in a larger park or something... legal or not.

This sounds amazing.

Here, we have multiple fireworks within 5 miles (we are in a metro area), but from my house, you can't really see them over the trees. You have to be pretty close.

• Like 1

Having been that young soldier myself, and probably making my own questionable decisions, I have to remind you that the fact that you are serving is never a get-out-of-jail-free card and is never an excuse for questionable decisions. There are too many military veterans and military families on this board to get away with that. Having a child that age, I do appreciate how terrified and concerned you are. Those pre-deployment memories would be precious whether you were shooting off fireworks or just building a campfire and roasting s'mores. I hope you have your son in your arms again soon and can finally take a breath without feeling terrified.

• Like 5

This sounds amazing.

Here, we have multiple fireworks within 5 miles (we are in a metro area), but from my house, you can't really see them over the trees. You have to be pretty close.

Tis definitely one of the things we love about where we live - totally unexpected when we first found out about it (by hearing fireworks and going outside to see what was going on).  It definitely helps teach youngsters about the speed of light vs sound too!  The key here is we have a small hill we can go up and there are fields allowing a nice sight distance if you get to the correct spots.  

The fireflies are in the trees and fields along the hedgerows.  I grew up seeing a handful of fireflies and running around trying to catch them.  Here there are literally thousands of them making it look like Christmas in June/July on every tree - then equal numbers more flying.  It's really a good thing they don't bite or sting!  They just mesmerize.

• Like 1