Menu

So what do you buy for teens that have everything??

Gift Cards.

Also, a lovely journal. Personal thoughts for the day bound into a book. A beautiful scarf that you knitted in their favorate colors. (Scarves are popular again this year, I hear). Fingerless gloves that you knitted.

A book that you loved, in hard cover, intended to be part of their permanent library.

A high level craft kit to make something cool--macrame, papermaking, or maybe a cake decorating set.

>>Well, one of mine is getting a new horse, but that might be a bit over the top for you! <<

Been there, done that - we have horses. And each one of them has had a turn at getting one (except ds cuz he chose a 4-wheeler instead, though he still enjoys riding the horses).

I've been using a system that I learned from this board; something they want, something they need, something to wear, something to read.

I found a cool book I know my ds15 is going to love. It's a graphic novel about Churchill that was originally published weekly 50 years ago.

That graphic novel looks like a great gift for my dd 14, history buff.

Tickets to a show or concert. A trip to an amusement park. An outing to do some activity.

We always do an experience for our kids' birthdays. This year, we took our daughter to New York to see her first on-Broadway musical. And my son (although he won't know it until his birthday in March) is getting tickets to Cirque de Soleil.

One year, we bought tickets for the whole family to see the touring production of Wicked. That was a big hit.

My 16dd is a Harry Potter fanatic and is studying Italian so I got her an Italian version of HP.

I also got her the 1st 3 British versions.

I know she'll get gift cards from Panera, Starbucks, Coldstone Creamery and the salon where she gets her hair cut. (not from me, btw)

She actually asked me for a Whole Foods gift card, lol...that I'll get her.

I am getting her a dress for her HP conference in the spring. She loves the show Project Runway and we went to her favorite designers website and ordered a dress from her. That is her Christmas and January b-day gift.

1. a gift card from her favorite ice cream place, coffee shop, or hangout with friends?

2. a gift card from a salon, or spa for a facial, haircut/color, pedicure, manicure

3. movie gift cards

4. gas money found thru a treasure hunt(my sister-in-law slipped $1 bills throughout a Cabela's hunting catalog and gave my son clues where to find the money)

5. item of choice related to a trip of choice(scarf with tickets to a local ski place) Just put the tickets or gift card in the item related to the event or activity.

I'm trying to figure out what to get 16 and 12yodds and 14yods. (I know what I want to get 18yods if we can afford it with everyone chipping in.) The girls both would kind of like to redo their rooms and we've talked about new comforters and sheets. 16yodd wants the Twilight series of books. 12yodd really wants a cell phone, but I don't think I'm willing to start that yet. 12yodd also mentioned an iPod docking station/radio alarm clock and that might be something each of them would like. 14yods has no idea what he wants.

There are plenty of things they would probably like but know better than to ask for. We have said no to video games in the past, and I really think my kids would tire of them quickly anyway--or go too far the other direction (14yods). They'd like four wheelers, but that's way out of our budget even if we got one for them to share and that was all they got. They wouldn't ask for these things and others, but I'm sure they'd like them.

They're pretty content with what they have and whatever they get which leaves me wondering why I feel the need to get them not just gifts but "the perfect gifts". Ugh. It's like this every year. I'm torn between not wanting to promote materialism and wanting to shower my kids with things they will love while being on a fairly tight budget. I wish I knew what the perfect balance was so I could just relax and not sweat it.

Nothing. We decided to stop. We told each child they can have $50, in any way they would like it: we'll but something up to $50; we'll give $50 cash; we'll invest it according to their desires; we'll put it in their accounts; they can go in with a sibling...the choice is theirs. But they only get $50.

It's becoming a very interesting discussion between the 6 kiddos. Right now at least half want the money in their checking accounts. One wants it in savings. Two are talking about a joint gift.

Ria

I've been using a system that I learned from this board; something they want, something they need, something to wear, something to read.

I've been doing a variant of this for 2 years, but it really only worked last year! LOL!!

"toy", clothes, book

They get PJs on Christmas Eve in addition.

This year they are getting Magazine Subscriptions for the book. My oldest really needs clothes - so she might get some extra.

Our family gives 3 gifts as well: something you want, need, and read.

11 year old dd: want (undecided), need (socks), read (Chess for dummies)

7 year old dd: want (undecided), need (socks), read (undecided)

16 year old dd: want (flat-iron), need (pajama bottoms), read (classic American novel, undecided on which one)

I'm trying to figure out what to get 16 and 12yodds and 14yods. (I know what I want to get 18yods if we can afford it with everyone chipping in.) The girls both would kind of like to redo their rooms and we've talked about new comforters and sheets. 16yodd wants the Twilight series of books. 12yodd really wants a cell phone, but I don't think I'm willing to start that yet. 12yodd also mentioned an iPod docking station/radio alarm clock and that might be something each of them would like. 14yods has no idea what he wants.

There are plenty of things they would probably like but know better than to ask for. We have said no to video games in the past, and I really think my kids would tire of them quickly anyway--or go too far the other direction (14yods). They'd like four wheelers, but that's way out of our budget even if we got one for them to share and that was all they got. They wouldn't ask for these things and others, but I'm sure they'd like them.

They're pretty content with what they have and whatever they get which leaves me wondering why I feel the need to get them not just gifts but "the perfect gifts". Ugh. It's like this every year. I'm torn between not wanting to promote materialism and wanting to shower my kids with things they will love while being on a fairly tight budget. I wish I knew what the perfect balance was so I could just relax and not sweat it.

I'm thinking along this line for the girls, too...re-do their rooms. Our 12yo does have a phone already, but it's more for *me* than her. It's very convenient. ;) I feel the same way about video games, too. Plus, it's not as if my dc have the time to play them. There seems to always be something else they want/need to do.

Your last paragraph describes me perfectly. We're doing 3 gifts for each child, gold, frankencence and myrhh, but I still can't seem to find the balance.

Aggie

Nothing. We decided to stop. We told each child they can have $50, in any way they would like it: we'll but something up to $50; we'll give $50 cash; we'll invest it according to their desires; we'll put it in their accounts; they can go in with a sibling...the choice is theirs. But they only get $50.

It's becoming a very interesting discussion between the 6 kiddos. Right now at least half want the money in their checking accounts. One wants it in savings. Two are talking about a joint gift.

Ria

This sounds like a neat approach, Ria! Is this the first year you've implemented this idea?

Do your children get gifts from other family members? Will you do anything else like stocking stuffers or advent calendars?

Enjoy your holiday!

Regards,

Kareni

We do one practical "grown-up" gift each year. Ds has a tool chest that is added to each year. Dd has asked for a tool chest of her own this year. Ds has special baking pans for his baking business. Dd has a cookie sheet and special cookie cutters (she likes cookies more). Ds has a leather kit and has gotten new tools to go with this.

For my nieces I made a movie night bucket and a puzzle bucket.

For the movie night bucket I put in a movie, flavored popcorn, fun sodas from Jones soda, favorite candies and snacks.

For the puzzle bucket I put in a very hard puzzle, clean snacks like pretzels, flavored cocoas, ciders and sodas, suckers, and hard candies (thinking about thing that last a while).

They went over really well with the girls.

Otherwise...gift cards!

We did the 'redecorate the bedroom' theme with dd when she was 8 and she loved it.

It kind of makes me feel guilty because my kids really do obviously have TOO much stuff, and they have too many people that give to them at Christmas. The gift cards and stuff are out for me because their grandma and some aunts usually cover those kinds of things. My Mom is just ridiculous and buys TONS for my kids (she lives on our property and they really are her favorite grandkids if I do say so myself - of course, I was the baby by 12 years so I KNOW I'm the favorite child!!) ;-p

Anyway, it is sad that they have so much I can't think of things to buy. I mean they do earn a lot of money themselves so they have bought a good bit of it, but it doesn't change the fact that they have it.

We really couldn't afford to make a big trip (we did just do WDW a month ago, and we did the beach over the summer), although I would LOVE to take them all snow-skiing one year. That is just over the top expensive for 6, at least this year. Maybe we can pull that off next year!!

IDK what to do but I will use some of these ideas for sure!

I usually do this for little girls, but i think it could still work. I buy a purse and I stock it with all purse essentials wallet with some little gift card, some lip balm, sun glasses, cool pen w/ pad vintage compact etc. I always try to make them artsy, and unique. If you start early you can find good stuff for cheap. Also Anthropologie has great everything feminine and lovely, Etsy is also nice. I wish I knew great stuff for boys... I would buy them all boxing gloves probably :001_smile:

1. Their most favorite Christmas present, and we all agree, is the year they opted out of Christmas "gifts" and Christmas with the whole extended family, and we went to CO and went skiing for 1 day. We stayed in a Cabin, ate Chili and smores. They decorated one of the pine trees outside with bird seed/pinecones and popcorn.

We skiied Christmas day and they still say that was the best Christmas ever... Just us and good memories.

2. itunes cards and gift cards.

3. ipod nano :)

4. The idea previously mentioned about something they want, need, and read.

5. They always like the practical stuff too... facial soap, new towel, or jammies, special toothpaste etc.

Of course, they would have loved new cars... but lets just be a little realistic. They really do appreciate the memories, more than the stuff - in the longrun...that is.

Ski pass

tickets to a pro whatever game

membership to the Y or Curves or ?

My oldest would like one of those mini fridges :)

gift card to their favorite clothing store--then shop after Christmas!

a night at a hotel with a waterpark or pool for the entire family

the book Do Hard Things

roller blades, ice skates, skis- downhill or cross country, snowshoes (guess where I live?) ;)

other items that will last them into adulthood or be useful at college:popcorn popper, computer programs, etc.

exercise equipment like weights and such

hair curlers, blow dryers, etc.

special jewelry or such that was yours or grandma's, to be handed down

tools and supplies for their hobbies or things they'd like to try/learn

some crafty one night classes through community ed with mom/dad--or design your own!

paint ball or air ball guns and supplies

We buy things for their future "home." For example, last yr we combined dd's b-day and Christmas present and bought her a sewing machine. We have purchased pots and pans for college ds, etc. Sort of like an old fashioned hope chest idea but with the items that are geared more practically to them. (dd loves to sew; ds loves to cook, etc)

At 16 all three of our dd's have selected a china pattern that they would like to collect for the future. For Christmas I always purchase either a place setting or serving piece or if I am short on money I can purchase just a plate or cup and saucer or what ever fits into my budget. My oldest dd at 24 almost has 8 place settings so I am starting to select serving pieces. My youngest dd just got her first place setting last Christmas and was so delighted. I am sure that they are like many girls, they don't need a lot of stuff but this makes a really lovely gift and something that they will cherish in the future.

New bed sheets

Parts for their drums (cymbols and stands) and guitar (new amp)

Music giftcards for Napster

Books (haven't given me specific titles yet)

Toiletries will go in their stockings (deodorant/body spray), a new wallet, belts, socks, etc...

It is hard as they get older because they want/need more expensive gifts. The boys definitely get less under the tree than dd. We participate in a gift drive for church and also clean out their rooms prior to Christmas and donate anything they haven't used in a year to shelters or poor families we are aware of. That helps them to remember those less fortunate and keeps the clutter down to a minimum in the house.

Since you all sound so blessed and they will be receiving gifts from family, I'd go with the gift of giving...

Pick a charity and buy lots of gifts for children or a family that need them. Then have a big baking and wrapping party. Delivering the bounty would put the spirit of Christmas in their hands.

my almost 16 year olds wants the darwin awards collection and I am getting both he and my 13 year old wallets and $50.

Now my 13 year old wanted a punching bag....err, we have no room for that. so we let him know it was not going to happen. I am looking for a radio, mp3 alarm clock combo for him.

Other than that. I am out of ideas. Money and gift cards to places like block buster, sonics, movie theatreand wherever else they like to go with friends. when they are little older nice cologne, luggage, shaving kit, overnight toiletry bag, their own good quality tools to start building their own toolbox. One of those battery charger, light combo things for the car, car washing kit if they have their own cars. If they are one their own a book of recipes that you make that they love, decent cooking/baking pans etc.