Menu

what to do with 66 eggs??

ProudGrandma

French toast & scrambled eggs/ham

bread pudding

deviled eggs

egg salad

hard boiled eggs (on a salad?)

rise and shine burgers (hamburgers with either canadian bacon or reg. bacon and an over easy egg)

ETA:

eggs benedict

egg drop soup

breakfast burritos to be frozen and reheated - not sure how eggs do reheated?

egg noodles

custard

(anyone thinking Forrest Gump and shrimp  :tongue_smilie:  :thumbup:  :thumbup1: )

Edited by ChrisB
  • Like 3

French toast & scrambled eggs/ham

bread pudding

deviled eggs

egg salad

hard boiled eggs (on a salad?)

rise and shine burgers (hamburgers with either canadian bacon or reg. bacon and an over easy egg)

ETA:

eggs benedict

egg drop soup

breakfast burritos to be frozen and reheated - not sure how eggs do reheated?

egg noodles

(anyone thinking Forrest Gump and shrimp  :tongue_smilie:  :thumbup:  :thumbup1: )

great ideas!!!!!

Quick breads like pumpkin bread, banana bread, etc. freeze well and use up eggs. You can also freeze waffles and pancakes and put them in the toaster for breakfast. You can also make cookies and freeze the dough as individual balls to be baked later (instead of 15ish minutes at 350, 30ish minutes at 300).

I don't think most egg based dishes freeze very well, but I agree with the idea that eggs generally keep a little while. If it were me, I'd just go heavy on the egg dishes for current meals and put my baking into overdrive for a couple of weeks and that would use them up here.

• Like 3

You can freeze mini quiches made in muffin tins and reheat them.  Here's an example, but you could just do plain or any meat/veggie/cheese combo you like.

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipe/256433/muffin-tin-quiches-with-smoked-cheddar-potato/

I have made these; they do freeze well and are pretty good, but check the seasoning - I didn't think about it while making them, and they were very bland.  They needed some cayenne!  

But I also agree with Farrar - quick breads freeze very well and are nice to have on hand.  Pound cake, too.  

Whole quiches or frittatas are good.    The breakfast casseroles with bread, sausage, cheese, eggs and half and half (or milk) freeze pretty well, though to me they are  never as good as the first day.  

Custards use lots of egg yolks, and whites can be used for meringues.  But I think that egg whites also freeze better than yolks.   But of course custards have to be eaten up pretty quickly.  

I wouldn't hesitate to just keep

Them refrigerated and as needed, a month or so.

Eggs will let you know when they are bad and I have never had eggs go bad.

In the last when I had a sams membership and only whet once a month, I bought a case at a time

• Like 1

If you don't think you'll be using them in the next few weeks, I think I'd just freeze them.  You can beat them just enough to blend, pour into separate containers (you can do 6 eggs per container or how ever many you'll likely use at a time) and freeze.

That would be less than a week's worth at my house. If we all have eggs for breakfast (fried or as omelets), that's 16 a day.

My kids love this casserole. A dozen eggs, beaten. Mix in a 32 oz. container of cottage cheese, a bag of frozen chopped spinach (no need to thaw), and a couple of cups of shredded cheese. Stir it all up, and bake in a casserole or 9x13 pan at 350 for 30-40 minutes or until the top is golden and set.

There are many recipes online for a crockpot egg bake too.

• Like 1

Quiche freezes well.  Our favorite is with feta cheese, spinach and sliced tomatoes.  (One (ahem) frozen pie crust to ~8 eggs, ~8 oz crumbled feta, one (ahem) package frozen chopped spinach, and 3-5 sliced campari tomatoes.  I also do it with sundried tomatoes.)  Broccoli and cheddar are also nice.

• Like 1

Uncracked eggs last a long time. We have 4 dozen grocery store eggs on a shelf, unrefrigerated right now. I only shop once a month. We have only had an egg go once, because it was cracked and on the bottom of two cases. It took a while to find it. Had I known one was cracked, I would have removed it right away.

That would be less than a week's worth at my house. If we all have eggs for breakfast (fried or as omelets), that's 16 a day.

My kids love this casserole. A dozen eggs, beaten. Mix in a 32 oz. container of cottage cheese, a bag of frozen chopped spinach (no need to thaw), and a couple of cups of shredded cheese. Stir it all up, and bake in a casserole or 9x13 pan at 350 for 30-40 minutes or until the top is golden and set.

There are many recipes online for a crockpot egg bake too.

I am going to try your casserole recipe :)

• Like 1

Do you have favorite recipes?

We've been reworking our diet over the last few years, and I threw out my tried and true delicious recipes because of their carb counts. 

It takes 12 eggs a day to make scrambled eggs for breakfast (during that week in the menu rotation). With 2 eggs per person + fresh fruit = 60 eggs a week.

Or, on other weeks of the menu rotation, I put 3-4 dozen eggs a week through our instant pot for snacking. Even my 4 yo will eat 2 hardboiled eggs a day. 

Eggs are an inexpensive protein.

I don't like egg breakfast bakes that are frozen. Eggs just come up out of the freezer with a rubbery texture, imho. I much prefer something fresh, with a flaky pastry, like a savory galette.

My FAVORITE ways to use up large amounts of eggs (all of which involve a horrific amount of carbs):

angel food cake for the whites, egg pasta for the yolks

anything that requires pate a choux: http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/pate-choux

pound cake: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/purely-pound-cake-recipe-1938061

Edited by kbeal
  • Like 1

You can pre scramble the amount of eggs you need and freeze flat (uncooked) in a ziploc. That's what I do for camping and I've done it to prep for babies too. We eat at least 60 eggs a week here though so 66 doesn't sound like too much to deal with 😉

Crepe batter uses a lot of eggs; make stacks of crepes, separate with parchment or wax paper, and freeze flat in ziploc bags.

I just signed in to suggest crepes or these blender pancakes: https://www.melskitchencafe.com/rollup-blender-pancakes/

We usually double the recipe, which uses a dozen eggs. They are super tasty and light, have more protein than regular pancakes due to eggs and cottage cheese, and they freeze well if you have leftovers (never have that issue here). The hardest part is getting the hang of getting the pan at the correct temp and getting the right amount of batter in the pan and swirling it quickly. The first one or two might not look right until you figure out the technique but once you get it, they cook quickly.

• Like 2

I second the 'no need to rush' advice. I buy 5 dozen eggs from Costco and go through them in less than three weeks.

Pound Cake uses 6

Deviled eggs

Quiche (I use frozen pie crust then fill with sautéed veggie and a dozen eggs, top with some cheese and bake)

Carrot cake uses 4 eggs