Menu

Adrenal Support for long term, large amount of stress

YaelAldrich

As you may have read in my previous emails, my only sibling died in January from metastatic breast cancer.  My father has prostate cancer which has come back three times, most recently this month (I am visiting them to go to doctor visits and help him make a decision what to do next).  My oldest son just got expelled from high school, isn't sure what he wants to do, and is unpleasant in general to all of us.  My marriage is not doing well and we are marriage therapy for the foreseeable future.  I have had to stop talking to my best friend and have no one else to talk out my problems with (other than our therapist once or twice a week at most).  Homeschooling is difficult at best with my other three children since they want to be dragged to do their work and chores.

In other words, I have been and will continue to be under a very large amount of stress.   :crying:   I have been having symptoms of stress/anxiety/panic attacks (chest pain, hard time breathing, sleep problems, crying)

Nevertheless, I am still needed by many people to be at my best.  I run 2-3 miles (in 20-30 minutes) every day. I do other exercises about once or twice a week.  I eat healthily 95% of the time (everyone has to have some treats!).  I am at a healthy weight for my age/height.  I do not take on unnecessary tasks from outside my family if I can help it.  My husband does help in the house as do the children (but I have to nag the children incessantly).

What else can I do to keep my body at its best during this stressful time (which may not be over anytime soon)?  I am comfortable with supplements, chiropractic, acupuncture and the like.

Thanks in advance for all your help and support.

More sleep. As much as possible, even at the sacrifice of exercise in my case. That's all that helped even slightly. Targeted supplements didn't really do much unfortunately. 10-12 hours of sleep really helped me regain some function, though I'd still say I'm only at 60% or so of what I was before my adrenals burned out to almost no cortisol production.

If you drink caffeine you can try eliminating it. I find when anxiety is very high limiting caffeine helps me calm down. I can handle more caffeine when life is normal but it reacts badly with my stress and anxiety. It seems like I need it but it makes me feel worse. Build in some self care routine- baths, pedicures, glass of wine or herbal tea- whatever feels like you are pampering yourself.

• Like 1

:grouphug:  :grouphug: I'm sorry for all you are going through. 

I've started an enzyme treatment to help with adrenal support. No idea if its helping, only been doing this for a week and a half, but might be something you can look into for yourself. 

• Like 1

:grouphug:  :grouphug: I'm sorry for all you are going through. 

I've started an enzyme treatment to help with adrenal support. No idea if its helping, only been doing this for a week and a half, but might be something you can look into for yourself. 

I am glad you mentioned it. I would have forgotten but systemic enzymes help the pancreas which is important. Zymessence and Fibrenza are two brands. I prefer Zymessence but it is significantly more expensive.

• Systemic Enzymes
  • Continue exercising
  • Vitamin B 12, Omega 3 capsules, Vitamin D3 (I second Carol's suggestion to consult a ND)
  • Sleep
  • Cultured foods like Kefir and cultured veggies
  • Cut back on sugar or if you are already consuming minimal amounts of sugar, keep at it.
  • Lemon in water before breakfast helps the liver detox

• Like 1

As you may have read in my previous emails, my only sibling died in January from metastatic breast cancer.  My father has prostate cancer which has come back three times, most recently this month (I am visiting them to go to doctor visits and help him make a decision what to do next).  My oldest son just got expelled from high school, isn't sure what he wants to do, and is unpleasant in general to all of us.  My marriage is not doing well and we are marriage therapy for the foreseeable future.  I have had to stop talking to my best friend and have no one else to talk out my problems with (other than our therapist once or twice a week at most).  Homeschooling is difficult at best with my other three children since they want to be dragged to do their work and chores.

In other words, I have been and will continue to be under a very large amount of stress.   :crying:   I have been having symptoms of stress/anxiety/panic attacks (chest pain, hard time breathing, sleep problems, crying)

Nevertheless, I am still needed by many people to be at my best.  I run 2-3 miles (in 20-30 minutes) every day. I do other exercises about once or twice a week.  I eat healthily 95% of the time (everyone has to have some treats!).  I am at a healthy weight for my age/height.  I do not take on unnecessary tasks from outside my family if I can help it.  My husband does help in the house as do the children (but I have to nag the children incessantly).

What else can I do to keep my body at its best during this stressful time (which may not be over anytime soon)?  I am comfortable with supplements, chiropractic, acupuncture and the like.

Thanks in advance for all your help and support.

your adrenals will be taxed.  there's general adrenal support, but for more specific you would need a 24 hour cortisol test.  

I'd also 2nd a naturopath if you have access to one.

for anxiety - my son does douglas labs (brand matters for the concentration) of ashwagandha 1200mg am/pm (4 caps total) combined with pure encapsulations bacopa monnieri  1 am 1pm.  my daughter finally tried it and found it really really helpful.  more so than whatever other drs had actually tried on her. and . . . they support the adrenals.

I found a REALLY HIGH QUALITY b-complex (emerald labs) to be very helpful during some excruciatingly stressful times.  stress really does use up b vitamins - and, it can have the same impact upon the brain as depression.

running can tax your adrenals if they are already taxed.  something more calming - walking, yoga (NOT power yoga).  yoga can do wonders at lowering stress.

a good shiatsu.  if you do a thorough massage - make sure they do the whole body, not targeted.  muscles are linked, and you have to work them together.  I haven't done a massage since.

• Like 1

(Hugs)

Maybe prayer, yoga, meditation? A lot of studies suggest even a few minutes of self care can reduce stress for the rest of the day.

I would seriously start working on the behavior of the homeschool kids. Either a positive reinforcement system (anyone not complaining all day and working diligently gets to get extra tv time, for ex.). Or negative reinforcement (every complaint earns five extra math problems that are homework, for ex.). To me, attitude can make a world of difference between a really bad day and a pleasant day, even if there are other difficulties.

I'd also make sure the kids are doing household chores to help.

Natural antidepressant treatments are in the book The Depression Cure: mostly sunlight exposure daily, omega supplements, exercise, sleep, social connections, and stopping negative thoughts.

You may be reluctant to take on anything else, but maybe a homeschool group where you can meet some friends, or a hobby/activity to just meet others.

And don't try to implement too many new things at once. If you start working on kid behaviors, focus on that until there's progress, then maybe consider a hobby, as needed.

• Like 1

Have someone test your cortisol and ACTH levels, just to make sure you don't have a medical condition.  I would consider testing thyroid, also.

And, in addition to the advice above, consider massage.  It has medical benefits, in addition to the chance to fully relax an hour a week.  Some chiropractors' offices have someone on staff.

• Like 1

One of the most important supplements for adrenal health is Vitamin C. Your adrenals contain highly concentrated amounts of C and need and uses high amounts of it when stressed. I've read some Native Americans didn't suffer from scurvy in the winters because they knew to eat the adrenal glands of animals for health reasons. I would take 1,000 mg C with bioflavanoids a day with food. I feel so much better when remembering to take C.

I'm so sorry for the loss of your loved one and the many stresses in your life right now. Gentle hugs to you.

• Like 2

You are doing so much but when you have so much there is only so much you can do to counter it. Last fall was similarly HIGH stress for me, lots of things I could not change what I could do (you are already doing lots- and that is wonderful, good food, exercise and counselling is great):

- drop every single commitment I could- people will get over it really-- drop more than you think you need to-- drop things until you think you have dropped too much- then you probably have gone far enough

-take some down time- even if that means skipping some school or house cleaning

-as a corrolary to the above- lower your standards- seriously- I'd move to the basics for the rest of the school year- take summer break early and a long one-have them do some stuff on their own if you feel you must but not things you have to mess with and oversee, use online resources- go to the library and check out a ton of books

-meditation- was a lifesaver- it helped long term but also in the short term when I was getting all worked up about something I would jump in a bath- run the water high- go under until just my face was out and do deep breathing until I could feel my heart return to normal and my body loosen- now the bath isn't requisite but it really helps to get somewhere with minimal outside interference

-if you can at all hire help out- cleaning, child care, tutoring whatever you can, hire out the things you want to do the least

-test vitamins(d3, iron, b12), hormones and adrenals(saliva)- it could be just stress or all the stress could be taking a toll on everything else

-someone to vent to, cry to etc

-consider meds- I've not been there but really close- sometimes they can be the help you need to get through

Best wishes!

Edited by soror
  • Like 3

:grouphug:

I agree on the importance of sleep. It can't be overstated. Sleep and prayer (something simple that your mind can become highly habituated to so it becomes a meditation). Deep, slow breathing. If you slow your breath way down - gradually, stretching the breaths out a bit more and a bit more as you go - it really reduces your stress response. If I take the time to get it down to about twenty heartbeats per breath and keep it there for a few minutes I really feel the effect.

ETA I'm sorry for your loss.

Edited by winterbaby
  • Like 1

I don't have suggestions, I just wanted to say I'm sorry. That really, really sounds like a lot. I would consider trying to find other ways to motivate the teens to eliminate the stress over them. That really is not cool. My own teen can be a PITA, as much as I love her and believe she is developing into an amazing person. I have learned that she needs to do her part of any bargain FIRST with no fussing before I do my part.  Hopefully you can figure out what motivates them and get them to do what they need to do with less stress. 

• Like 1

I'm so sorry--that is so much to handle all at once.

Here are some things that have helped me handle overwhelming stress and anxiety:

1. Guided meditation--there's tons of research on how meditation, guided or not, truly changes our physiology for the better. Here are free ones of different lengths, so they can fit it in whenever you have time. I just did the Tonglen meditation on p. 2 and felt a physical loosening in my heart, which is where I feel stress sometimes. https://www.tarabrach.com/guided-meditations/page/2/

2. Is there a restorative yoga class in your area? It's not a moving, flowing class. You get into the posture, supported by bolsters, blocks or blankets, and stay there for several minutes. I found that sense of being supported, and relaxing into it, to be exactly what I needed when I didn't feel supported by others in my life. At that time regular yoga classes felt like more individual effort and striving, just like every other second of my life. 

3. Barlean's Total Omega Orange Swirl, Seeking Health's Active B12 with L-5-MTHF and Tension Tamer Tea help me with stress--no idea if these help with adrenal support though.

4. Can you see your own therapist? It's awesome that you are in couples therapy, but it sounds like you could use support just for yourself. 

5. This may not be what you're looking for, but any chance of sending some or all of your kids to camp this summer? Or for more of them to go to school in the fall? I think it's tough to homeschool when you really need to spend time taking care of yourself and others, and emotionally processing major stress and loss. Whatever you can get off your plate, and wherever you can carve out space for yourself to breathe, cry, meditate, read, or nap, do it. 

6. Try a few different healing modalities with the idea that you're looking for a practitioner who feels like a healing presence in your life. It probably matters less what the therapeutic thing is, and more that the person feels like a trustworthy, healing guide along your path. If you come out of a session with a greater sense of ease and calm, that tells you what you need to know. For me it was my restorative yoga teacher for a while, and for dh when he was having mysterious health issues it was a doctor of Chinese medicine who did acupuncture and herbs that were incredibly calming and healing for him, even though he could hardly converse with him.

7. If your kids are old enough, tell them you're overwhelmed, with age- and boundary-appropriate reasons why (the health issues should be safe to mention) and ask them what they see you doing that they could each take on. Sometimes when I'm at the end of my rope and tell my kids, they finally do step up. It's like they can sense when we've arrived at the very last straw, even when they've been pushing it right up until that point.

Peace,

Amy