Menu

Lego Creations-is this a good graduation party center piece idea

northcoast

Would you display your child's Lego creations at the graduation open house as table center pieces?  Would it be tacky to have a sign "Please Do Not Touch the Legos"?  Is this a stupid idea for our party?  :)   It would be a cool thing, I think, as our son loves his Legos.  We really don't want little kids touching and playing with Legos but we don't want to look like a grinch either.  We will have board games & coloring books for young ones especially if the weather dictates everything being indoors.  Eating at the party will be indoors regardless of weather the day of. 

I think that's a great idea!

I don't think a sign is harsh. You can word it nicely. Be prepared to have to say something. Maybe if you had a small box of Legos people could play with? Or... really fancy... what if you had the centerpiece clearly up on a little thing (could just be a box covered with a fancy napkin or something) and then below it have individual legos strewn around. And then people could fidget with those if they wanted and small children could play with a few of them. Depending on how much space you have, that could like kind of artsy.

• Like 5

I would display it on a pedestal of sorts as Farrar suggested, with a small sign asking people not to touch.  I think I would also have legos to play with, but elsewhere.  Not sure about having them on the same table, as that might seem to invite people to modify the one on display, kwim?  Even with signs... or  little kids who can't read signs... or people who will see 'please touch' because, you know, stuff like that happens.

• Like 1

I wouldn't do it.  IME, the Legos will be touched, played with, and perhaps stolen.

It's a neat idea, but unless you can find a display case, I don't think you can prevent people playing with toys at a party.

Maybe you could just put a pile of generic Legos on the table and let the guests build the centerpiece.  Some pieces may still come up missing, but it might be fun to have an interactive element to the centerpiece without your son's creations being damaged or altered.

• Like 5

Would you display your child's Lego creations at the graduation open house as table center pieces?  Would it be tacky to have a sign "Please Do Not Touch the Legos"?  Is this a stupid idea for our party?   :)   It would be a cool thing, I think, as our son loves his Legos.  We really don't want little kids touching and playing with Legos but we don't want to look like a grinch either.  We will have board games & coloring books for young ones especially if the weather dictates everything being indoors.  Eating at the party will be indoors regardless of weather the day of. 

We went to a birthday party this weekend (for a new 9 year old) with Star Wars Legos out on display.  The mother made it clear they were for looking only and the party was mostly outdoors and they seem to have survived unscathed

I think it is a cool idea, but I also think they will be taken apart.  If you could have them displayed out of reach I think it would be a great idea.

When my son was 12 we gave him a party (6th grade graduation) and we had a bag of legos on each table and a contest of the best creation. It was fun.

I think it's a risk... but you know your friend group and their kids. Like, with a sign, some distractions, and a couple of reminders, the legos would be safe at a party here - I'm almost positive. If you have a lot of friends with mildly destructive 7-9 yos... well, that would be different.

• Like 3

Displaying it on a pedestal with signs as other suggested would likely keep it safe from harm. But, another thought on that, even though that presentation would help with risk of destruction in using them as centerpieces—if I brought young children to the event, I would dislike spending a chunk of my energy being vigilant throughout the afternoon or evening that my Lego lovers didn't touch the creations, tempting as though they may be, which would be in constant line of sight for them.

Erica in OR

• Like 1

As a Mother of AFOL (adult fans of Legos), I think this is a great idea . . . but agree that it's risky.

Even today, our son is reconstructing the large castle which somehow was bumped off his bookcase & broke into a million pieces.

But I really, really like the idea--I hope you can figure out a way to display them.  AND have some for the little ones to play with while the group finishes the meal.

Our kids graduate in a homeschool ceremony, & Legos are a part of their individual display table . . . & they've not been bothered there, FYI.

Edited by Beth S
  • Like 1

Have you asked your son? Is he proud of them or will he be embarrassed? Just because, you know, maybe there's a girl he likes attending or people he wants to look more adult around and would worry how it would reflect.

I'm sorry, I don't really know what a graduation open house is... is this for a whole group and not for a particular graduate? And the theme is just going to have something to do with Legos? If it's for a whole group then I would just think about what I think would be a good theme to appeal to the majority I guess... or whatever is easiest? lol

Have you asked your son? Is he proud of them or will he be embarrassed? Just because, you know, maybe there's a girl he likes attending or people he wants to look more adult around and would worry how it would reflect.

I'm sorry, I don't really know what a graduation open house is... is this for a whole group and not for a particular graduate? And the theme is just going to have something to do with Legos? If it's for a whole group then I would just think about what I think would be a good theme to appeal to the majority I guess... or whatever is easiest? lol

There's nothing embarrassing about LEGO. If a girl doesn't like a guy with LEGO, than she doesn't need to stick around.  :lol:

People of all ages LEGO, in the same way that people of all ages play sports. AFOL (Adult Fans of LEGO) are becoming more well known. It's a lot of fun for people of all ages (and a lot of adults can afford to buy the pricey sets). 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/11/28/lego-builds-adult-fan-base/19637025/

• Like 6

There's nothing embarrassing about LEGO.  

True enough, but I'm another one who would ask. We are a bit maniacal about themed parties at my house, but when I asked dd what theme she wanted for graduation, she said, "Graduation."  :lol:

OP, other than that, I think it depends on where you have to display them, and just how upset ds will be if a piece goes missing. If kids will be there, I would definitely have extra Legos available. Maybe "Please don't touch the Lego displays; there are Legos for playing with on the blue table!" 

• Like 5

I would display the lego creations in a way that doesn't invite touching. Like maybe in glass display containers (mason jars, covered with a clear glass bowl, etc.) and do have some loose legos available for little kids and others to play with?

• Like 2

I just attended a graduation ceremony (a homeschool co-op) where there was a reception afterward. Each homeschool grad had a table displaying hobbies and accomplishments etc. One young man had several large Lego creations. There were no problems that I was aware of from kids, teens, or adults. He didn't even have a sign or pedestal. So, I think with a sign and a pedestal, you would be fine. Unless, there is a family that is known to have out of control children with unobservant parents or something like that.

• Like 1

Maybe under bell jars or something that makes them obviously display pieces? How many small children will come? And how many unsupervised children under say 30? lol...

Agreed!!

I was going to suggest something like this.  https://www.united-states-flag.com/acrylic-football-display-case.html?utm_source=googlepepla&utm_medium=adwords&id=95284247562&gclid=CjsKDwjw0cXIBRCxjqnE3K3sHhIkAL1LezRMrtF8vomAH4NiuuNB-y5vAs1ENmKgCblPxRcZEBXBGgJvcvD_BwE or maybe this https://www.pinterest.com/pin/359232507759470939/

In light of my recent thread, I also want to say I LOVE this idea!!

I like the idea, but I know my 47yo DH would probably pick up and expolre a table centerpiece, even with a sign, because he doesn't read signs LOL! I would not want to have to spend an entire party keeping an eye on a child who wants to see and touch everything.

If these are such treasured prize possessions that any loss or disassemblage would be unthinkable, best to not risk it. Unless you can find a safer spot for display, but I vote against table cebterpieces. A tray of LEGO to play with might be a better and more fun option.

There's nothing embarrassing about LEGO. If a girl doesn't like a guy with LEGO, than she doesn't need to stick around.  :lol:

People of all ages LEGO, in the same way that people of all ages play sports. AFOL (Adult Fans of LEGO) are becoming more well known. It's a lot of fun for people of all ages (and a lot of adults can afford to buy the pricey sets). 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/11/28/lego-builds-adult-fan-base/19637025/

I was thinking more along the lines of the person's individual fears/comfort level. I am not ashamed of liking superheroes but I might not choose a superhero theme for an event where I am going for a sophisticated atmosphere (which may or may not be the case here at this graduation event). That may be a bad example, but I was just trying to think of the guest of honor's wishes as it was unclear to me if the guest wanted their work displayed at all. If there were people attending that might be professional networking acquaintances I might not want everyone in full cosplay garb, YKWIM?

As for the OP, if you really want to display them, maybe you can find some clear plastic boxes to put over them. I'd say that sends a message "do not touch" but someone could still potentially pick them up.

• Like 2

Displaying it on a pedestal with signs as other suggested would likely keep it safe from harm. But, another thought on that, even though that presentation would help with risk of destruction in using them as centerpieces—if I brought young children to the event, I would dislike spending a chunk of my energy being vigilant throughout the afternoon or evening that my Lego lovers didn't touch the creations, tempting as though they may be, which would be in constant line of sight for them.

Erica in OR

Thank you for mentioning this!  I have been out of the younger child years for a while now.  Your post reminded me of a time we went somewhere with our toddler son.  There was a lit candle on a coffee table.  It was not a fun evening.   

• Like 1

To answer your questions, DS is proud of his Legos.  But a couple invited families have younger children that are not always well supervised.  Thus our concern.  The majority of the families we trust and most will be high school aged. 

A graduation open house is a party to honor high school graduates.  Some families will do a party with another family to share costs and whatnot.  Ours is just for our son.  Around here, memorabilia showcasing the graduate's life is on display.  Not all display things.  It's a way to make your event unique.   Food is served.  

• Like 1

I am sorry I didn't see your recent thread!   Thanks for the links!  It's nice to see the display is not too outrageous in price!  I had sort of written it off before see all the replies.

edited to correct typos.

Edited by northcoast

If it was up high enough and there were other legos to play with, then it wouldn't have been an issue for my kids when they were younger. Depends on the crowd though...

If they're big, like full lego house, castle, etc. size big then I think you're probably good. I can't imagine that stuff being messed with too much. If they're smaller and less obviously a "work of art" so to speak, I think the giant mason jar idea is good. Costco pickle jars are good for giant jars.

To answer your questions, DS is proud of his Legos.  But a couple invited families have younger children that are not always well supervised.  Thus our concern.  The majority of the families we trust and most will be high school aged. 

A graduation open house is a party to honor high school graduates.  Some families will do a party with another family to share costs and whatnot.  Ours is just for our son.  Around here, memorabilia showcasing the graduate's life is on display.  Not all display things.  It's a way to make your event unique.   Food is served.  

In that case I think the Legos would be really neat. I *might* avoid the centerpiece idea for individual tables and just choose one table to showcase them. A table where no one is eating, but just to display items. On the other tables I might opt for a different type of centerpiece. It could be Lego-themed as well. They sell Lego shaped candy that you could put in a jar or something. I don't know if the candy is safe for little kids, though. And if people want to drop off congratulations cards to the graduate, you could have a cardboard box designed to look like a giant Lego with a slit in the top for the cards. Just an idea. You could really run with this theme lol

• Like 1

Thanks for all the great replies!  You all have provided perspective & great ideas.  I will try to remember to come back to let you know what we decide to do for DS graduation party.  

I will admit to thinking about using the Legos as center pieces because I was having sticker shock with flowers for center pieces from the local florist.  I am not trying to see how much money I can spend, lol!  I also want to have something that is a little unique; something that says, "yes", this is DS.     

• Like 1

This is a great idea, but I'd be worried about using them as center pieces too. Around here there is usually a separate table displayed with pictures and mementos where gifts are left and a box for cards. They'd be great to display there.

If you want to stick with a Lego theme there are lots of great ideas on Pinterest. I like the idea of mason jars filled with Lego and tied with a balloon. Festive, fun and cheap.

• Like 1

Would you display your child's Lego creations at the graduation open house as table center pieces? Would it be tacky to have a sign "Please Do Not Touch the Legos"? Is this a stupid idea for our party? :) It would be a cool thing, I think, as our son loves his Legos. We really don't want little kids touching and playing with Legos but we don't want to look like a grinch either. We will have board games & coloring books for young ones especially if the weather dictates everything being indoors. Eating at the party will be indoors regardless of weather the day of.

I think it is a bad idea. My children, one of them, would surely touch and/or break a creation and then you would be upset with me and I would feel awful like I ruined everything. It would destroy all the happy feelings. So no, don't do it.

Thanks for all the great replies!  You all have provided perspective & great ideas.  I will try to remember to come back to let you know what we decide to do for DS graduation party.  

I will admit to thinking about using the Legos as center pieces because I was having sticker shock with flowers for center pieces from the local florist.  I am not trying to see how much money I can spend, lol!  I also want to have something that is a little unique; something that says, "yes", this is DS.

Actually, there is no need to have floral centerpieces at any event, and I have never seen them at any graduation party. I rarely even see them at weddings anymore.

For Diamond's grad party, the centerpiece or table decorations were baskets of candy and potato chips/pretzels. I will likely do the same for SweetChild. I would much rather spend every penny of my very limited budget on food, so if I get flowers as a centerpiece, they will be an edible variety LOL!

• Like 2

I would put a dishpan of playable legos in the middle of each table and then take pictures of his creations for an album.

Anything already built that you put out will get played with, touched, picked up, etc. Put it under glass or maybe at a display table with a don't touch sign. 

Edited by OhElizabeth

Love the idea.  We had a small gift bag of legos on each table at my son's wedding reception.  Guests were invited to build their own centerpiece.  Every table had someone who accepted the challenge, and many worked as a table to build something fun. 

However, we did not have lots of children there, and there were no displays of already put together creations to worry about.

I would find someway to display the treasures in an area where they won't be disturbed, and go with the Lego theme on a budget for the tables.  I was thinking about jars of Legos with some ribbon would be cute.  Or you could do photos of his Lego creations and put them on a stick which you display in an open jar filled with small pieces of Legos. 

I am quite sure Pinterest could help you figure this out.

My vote is go for it, but protect his creations.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

An update: I forgot our venue had a fireplace with mantle. So Lego creations will be displayed there. It is high so youngsters shouldn't be able to reach. For the tables we filled vases with Lego pieces. We glued photos of DS to popsicle sticks for a display in the vases. So, we have a Lego theme that is inexpensive & nice looking. The party is Sat. Thank you, everyone!

• Like 10