Menu

Life in leggings...

Yes, a chic running belt is great with leggings as long as your top isn't too wide (because it cinches it in, which can look funny.)

And it looks far less frumpy than a fanny pack.  Plus you can carry a little flask of water, which I really like if I'm out for a walk in the neighborhood.

I wear it under my shirt, over my pants.  Looks like one of the fold over waistbands in a different color, if you could see it.

• Like 1

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are TALL leggings available anywhere?  I don't live near any major shopping areas but would love to have some leggings to wear with long shirts / tunics.  I am tall but have varicose legs and am getting to the point where I will not go out with them bare anymore.

• Like 2

Are TALL leggings available anywhere? I don't live near any major shopping areas but would love to have some leggings to wear with long shirts / tunics. I am tall but have varicose legs and am getting to the point where I will not go out with them bare anymore.

Athleta, and best part of it is that you can shop online and return by dropping off the package at a USP store without ever going into Athleta.

• Like 2

I had an idea today.  If we order anything, we need to come back and give a review.  I would love to have a review for some of the amazon tops  :thumbup1:

I ordered these last week to go with my leggings. I intended for all of them to be maternity wear and was hoping to wear them after the baby was born too. I'm short and have a small frame- if you're taller or bigger, your opinions may be different. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y5S3PBY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Not bad. The color is good and it seems to be a reasonable fit.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NO9L41I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I really love the fit on these! They are long and they are slim fitting enough to not look like a mumu, and they'll grow with me. My only complaint is that the black/navy/and gray are all so dark that they don't really look different enough.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XX5QJPY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This one and the one below it made me a little sad. They are super duper big on me. The shoulders are wide, the middles are tents, and maybe I could wear them with a belt and a tank top later, but I can't believe I'll wear them not pregnant, and even pregnant they are big. Size down if you can! I'm sad, though, because the colors were beautiful and pockets!! The pockets are nice and deep. I want to love them. I don't understand how it looks so cute on some of the pictures that people posted in the reviews. Neither looks that cute on me. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XFFTH65/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IS2AXV2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Love this one. It's hard to mess up the fit since it's an open cardigan. I like that it's lightweight and long. If you want something warmer, you don't want this. 

• Like 4

For those of you that like this type of top-- how do you not look pregnant in it? Are you just super slim? Anything flowy like this makes me look 6 months pregnant. I need tunics that are slimmer fitting with a defined waist. It is the only reason I do not wear leggings. I must have a tunic that is slim fitting that goes all the way down to mid thigh. I've never found one. It could be that I am 5'9". It is hot here and sweaters are out of the question.

try a skater dress? This sort of style:

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/www.pinterest.com/amp/pin/83175924340615726/

• Like 3

Athleta, and best part of it is that you can shop online and return by dropping off the package at a USP store without ever going into Athleta.

I've decided to go the online route as well. It occurred to me that not everything is available in the stores; some items are only sold online. Also, on any given day the physical store might be out of stock of the style or size needed.

• Like 1

For me personally the important thing is that the leggings not be skin tight (I buy my leggings one size up because I like them better that way). If they're not skin tight and not see-through then I'm content to wear leggings a lot.

I think there's a lot of misplaced hating on leggings/jeggings. Like I said if they're not skin tight or see- through what is the difference between leggings and other pants except lack of pockets and that they're fitted from the knee down?

Skinny jean hating is the same to me. Skinny jeans are just jeans that fit snug from the knee down.

I think a lot of this depends on how you define "leggings".

For a lot of people, if you are using them like tights, they aren't being used as leggings just a substitute for opaque, footless tights, and if they have thicker, finished tops with beltloops and such, they are skinny pants or jeans, not leggings.

I think of them as thicker than tights, but not typically finished at the top in such a way that it is meant to be seen - there are no details, they fit wrong and don't have enough support, they will grab at the crotch like tights.  And cheaper ones become see-through if you bend or are wearing them a little too small. 

So, you wear them with a longer top or short dress.

Labels  seem to be confusing too - I bought a pair of pants on the weekend in faux leather, that I would call leggings - the label called them pants.  In any case, I won't be wearing them without a longer top.

• Like 1

I got the Viv leggings in from Amazon.  I am a 12 and I ordered up to a plus and I feel like they are bigger than I want.  I am returning them.  I have already ordered a regular and I will see how they fit.  I also ordered one pair of lush mode and one pair of leggings depot.  I found some awesome longer t-shirts at Sams on clearance and I am in the comfort zone right now.  My normal uniform is sweaters and it is just getting too hot for that.  

• Like 1

I got the Viv leggings in from Amazon.  I am a 12 and I ordered up to a plus and I feel like they are bigger than I want.  I am returning them.  I have already ordered a regular and I will see how they fit.  I also ordered one pair of lush mode and one pair of leggings depot.  I found some awesome longer t-shirts at Sams on clearance and I am in the comfort zone right now.  My normal uniform is sweaters and it is just getting too hot for that.  

I got my Viv leggings, too. I'm a size 10, and the regular size fits just fine. They're super comfy!

• Like 2

I have mixed feelings on leggings. I personally feel naked wearing them in public as pants, but I see lots of women wear them... even at ds' school which sorta surprised me just because I wouldn't think to wear leggings as pants to a job. It's so common though I don't think much of it anymore. Mostly long flowy tops are paired with them and boots.

Dh got me a sweater dress for Christmas. It stops right below my butt. I tried it on with leggings. I felt sooooo naked. I don't know if I could ever leave the house wearing that without feeling like I'm wearing a mini skirt. Forget about trying to walk with my toddler, I'd have to lean down to hold her hand and worry about looking inappropriate, like my butt is sticking out. I could wear it as a top with jeans, but my jeans aren't slim fit so I can't wear my dress boots over them. It's similar to this without slits on the sides: http://www.target.com/p/women-s-long-sleeve-cowl-neck-side-slit-pullover-kit-sky/-/A-52079071

• Like 3

I think there's a lot of misplaced hating on leggings/jeggings. Like I said if they're not skin tight or see- through what is the difference between leggings and other pants except lack of pockets and that they're fitted from the knee down?

And there was a whole thread on finding pants with pockets. I love my cargo pants as I like to keep my hands free which means leggings will never be my thing.

Like most things leggings can be worn well or.....not. They can look cute but also hideous.

Not related to quote-

I don't think I would compare jeans to leggings. My grandmother started wearing jeans from childhood. She was always on a horse. It wasn't for comfort but practicality. I know few of my friends who wear leggings (just a couple). I can't help but think they just aren't practical. I mean where do you put your pocket knife? My daughter had some but they always ripped. They aren't as tough as jeans. I do see more of them when I take my sons to get hair cuts. I actually looked to see if any of the 15-20 people had any other types of pants on and nope, no other pants at the big hair cutting school so they must be in style so I'm sure you are fine living in them.

Today I'm wearing spandex tights in public. I did get a wrap around skirt for them though. Padded bicycle tights are ugly as all get out but sometimes you want to be comfortable so I get that. My husband say they make you go faster because you don't want many people to see you in them. Ha

• Like 3

I think that's why they don't seem to be popular here. I rarely see anyone in leggings. Occasionally in winter (defined as: only January) I see someone in Lularoe prints or knock offs. Mostly it's just too hot for them year round.

Even capri length ones can be hot because they hug the skin. Loose clothing is much cooler. Capri pants (regular pants) and shorts are the standard uniform for everyday wear. Many people even have their "dressy" shorts. :)

Yup. If you live in Florida you have dressy shorts! The kind you can wear to a casual evening party or casual church service. (I have dressy shorts!)

My uniform in summer is a tank (right now layered over a nursing tank if I'm out, just the nursing tank if I'm home) and the linen blend shorts from Old Navy. 

SaveSave

• Like 2

For those of you that like this type of top-- how do you not look pregnant in it?  Are you just super slim?  Anything flowy like this makes me look 6 months pregnant.  I need tunics that are slimmer fitting with a defined waist.  It is the only reason I do not wear leggings.  I must have a tunic that is slim fitting that goes all the way down to mid thigh.  I've never found one.  It could be that I am 5'9".   It is hot here and sweaters are out of the question.

I have the same issue, so don't wear this kind of thing either. And I'm short, so that's not it. 

• Like 1

For those of you that like this type of top-- how do you not look pregnant in it?  Are you just super slim?  Anything flowy like this makes me look 6 months pregnant.  I need tunics that are slimmer fitting with a defined waist.  It is the only reason I do not wear leggings.  I must have a tunic that is slim fitting that goes all the way down to mid thigh.  I've never found one.  It could be that I am 5'9".   It is hot here and sweaters are out of the question.

I can't wait for this look to go out of style because it looks terrible on me.  I looks so cute on a lot of people, but it is so unflattering on me.  I have tried to make this work so many times and just decided to give up.  

Ok, ok, tell me about the Viv plus size leggings.

I usually wear lands end star fish pants,mbut they've been rubbing weird lately when I'm walking & I want some leggings :)

I LOVE those with the skirt built in, but can't swing that price right now, the teens need new summer clothes right now too.

I wear a 1 X in most sweat/ yoga pants, or xl in star fish pants.

Edited by Hilltopmom
  • Like 1

Except...summer is coming. And it gets hot, hot, hot and humid here.

What is the summer equivalent to leggings?  :001_unsure:

I live in knee length skirts during the summer. Cotton shorts if I'm at home but if I leave the house, it's a skirt once it's over about 75-80 degrees.

• Like 2

I can't wait for this look to go out of style because it looks terrible on me.  I looks so cute on a lot of people, but it is so unflattering on me.  I have tried to make this work so many times and just decided to give up.  

I don't think that today's fashion is so rigid that only one look is allowed.  I think it is best when people find the look that flatters them the most and that fits their taste and their budget.  I know many women who wear leggings or jeggings or slim jeans but many others who wear flowing pants or skirts or tailored pants or . . .    I could go on and on! 

• Like 7

Ok, ok, tell me about the Viv plus size leggings.

I usually wear lands end star fish pants,mbut they've been rubbing weird lately when I'm walking & I want some leggings :)

I LOVE those with the skirt built in, but can't swing that price right now, the teens need new summer clothes right now too.

I wear a 1 X in most sweat/ yoga pants, or xl in star fish pants.

I got the regular size in yesterday too so let me just give y'all a run down on Viv.

They are soft, very nice with super cute colors.  Very stretchy.  I think the plus will fit you fine.  No worries there.

The waistband is not the thick band like Lularoe.  It is a smaller waistband with elastic.  Fortunately, it is wrapped in that soft fabric so it is still comfortable.  These leggings are great but if you are looking for tummy control they don't shine for that.  I know that some of the expensive brands tuck and hide a lot with their wide waistband.  I feel like these are neutral in this area.  It doesn't make anything look worse than it is, but it isn't tucking and hiding either.  I don't think this is such a problem for those of us wearing longer tops.  

Amazon has free returns on these leggings.  I did notice that there are several listings so I went with the ones that had almost 5 star reviews.  

There really is a big size range.  My dd and I can both wear them.  She is 5'1" and a size 4.  I am 5'5" and a size 12.  We both like them.  She goes to college in the fall and I think I will order her a few pair of leggings for running and around the dorm.  I will receive the other two brands on Monday and I can give y'all a comparison of them, haha.  

Edited by Attolia
  • Like 2

I was just thinking about this today.  Yes, I bet they did.  They were either scoffed at or scoffing at the idea of - gasp - jeans on a woman.  Not decent at all.    I don't know anyone who is not okay with leggings and a long sweater or dress though.  To me it really does seem more modest than much of what is being worn.

my mother was such a rebellious hippie. she wore Levi's and men's white undershirts (with her bra straps showing! gasp), and refused to cut, perm, or spray her hair. scandalous!

i'm having a summer fashion crisis over here. i'm way more active now that i don't have a tiny baby anymore, and my clothes are not working for me in this desert heat. it's well over 100F for weeks now already. i'm burning up! y'all are giving me lots of good ideas. 

Edited by Desert Strawberry

Tall person here. I HATE leggings. I have so much trouble keeping them up. They constantly ride down and I am yanking them up. Is it just me? I also hate low rider skinny jeans and jeggings, same issue. But everything else looks out of date. I miss straight legged yoga pants. They are getting harder to find, and that is my mom uniform.

• Like 2

Tall person here. I HATE leggings. I have so much trouble keeping them up. They constantly ride down and I am yanking them up. Is it just me? I also hate low rider skinny jeans and jeggings, same issue. But everything else looks out of date. I miss straight legged yoga pants. They are getting harder to find, and that is my mom uniform.

Have you tried the tall leggings?

Nike and Lululemon has hi-rise leggings/tights. I am short and the ones in stores are too long for me.

http://store.nike.com/us/en_us/pw/womens-gym-training-tights/7ptZ9hkZoey

http://shop.lululemon.com/c/women-pants/_/N-7yh

• Like 2

No, I didn't know you could find such things until this thread. I will be checking out some of the links. Thanks. 

I received the tall ones from JcPenney and they fit very well and stay up (I'm 5'11").  They are really comfortable, but I need to find longer tops, as I feel quite naked with a shirt that just covers my backside.

I have never tried LulaRoe but they have tall leggings.  

I fully support your life in leggings plan. Leggings are so popular right now I have to remind myself I don't like them. I prefer the feel of jeans and love pockets, but I still find myself tempted when I see cute ones.

Yes, pockets, ftw!

• Like 2

I ordered the Viv capri leggings in the larger size and have been wearing them today (I'm 5' 11" and usually wear XL/16/18).  They're pretty comfy and and I haven't had any issues with them falling down, even with lots of chasing around after the toddler and bending to load the dishwasher.  I also have several pairs of Agnes & Dora leggings which I absolutely love, and I do think they're a bit nicer, but for half the price I'm pretty satisfied with these. 

For tops, I also ordered this for the heck of it, and it's not bad for $9.  I got a 3XL (due to bust size) and it's definitely a tad too big, even around my chest.  

Umm...thanks a lot ladies. I ordered a pair of leggings and a top from amazon fully expecting to send it back. I am a fluffier girl and struggle with clothing choices. I am wearing the outfit now and and just checked out with 2 more  :lol:

• Like 2

I walked around on Monday in a very large, loose gray t-shirt and grey leggings. 

I know I don't have to justify it to anyone but here's why:

I got a rather bad sunburn while out traveling this past weekend. So a bra would hurt (thus the large t-shirt)

and it was a long drive home and I was too tired to do laundry (thus the leggings). 

As an aside: I discovered how VERY comfortable one particular pair of leggings is! Maybe that will become my "Monday uniform" . . .  :D

• Like 1

Old Navy has some excellent slightly fitted tshirt dresses. They go well with leggings, bike shorts and exercise capris. I got a few pretty cheap. Plus, they cover the butt and don't put the focus on my stomach area like the flowy type of tops.

I just got a few of these for my dd.  They are so soft, aren't they?