Menu

A DAY OFF

Anne in CA

I do not really have days off, and mostly it is not a big deal. I love the restaurant. But this morning was the one day this week I could have slept in. It is supposed to be my day off. I was awakened at 6:37 because dd said the bus blew by our house without stopping. I jumped up from a sound sleep put on my slippers and a coat and we chased the bus down to the next stop. Which is ten miles away on icy roads. Then we got a 3 star review from someone who said their food was perfect and delicious in person but used our internet for a three star review. Jerk. He said his eggs were over cooked. He said EVERY restaurant he goes to overcooks them. HMMM, maybe you should order them how you really want them. Then the the school called about the pictures that my dd's friends took a couple of weeks ago that I posted about. Someone at the school saw them and notified the police and even though they are not of my dd, she is involved. 

So, this was my day off all before 10:00 AM. Do moms ever get a day off???? When was your last day off?

• Like 1

:grouphug:

I can't imagine complaining about eggs in a restaurant.  Eggs are so subject to preference.  But then, even my own husband cannot cook my eggs the way I like them best.  

But to answer your questions:  

Do moms ever get a day off????

No.

When was your last day off?

Day after Valentine's Day, 2017, but it was because I was sick. (That's why I said no to question 1.)  Like, lying in bed moaning between trips to the bathroom sick.  So sick I couldn't even enjoy my day off, could do nothing but ruminate on all my past failures and regrets. Couldn't even bring myself to read or listen to an audio book. 

Next week we are going away for a few days, to a cabin.  I'll sort of get part of a day off then, maybe.   :lol:

Edited by marbel
  • Like 1

My last real day off involved being in extreme pain at the hospital.

I'm not going to "like" that, because it isn't right. But I wanted to acknowledge that I'm sorry. I had some lovely vacation days in January when the restaurant was closed, We ate, we drank, we played lots of games and had lots of fun. 

• Like 2

Do moms ever get a day off???? When was your last day off?

July 1995. We'd just moved here but left a few things behind at a friend's house. Dh took the boys to go pick these things up; it was an 8-hour drive one way. Two days to myself.

• Like 1

I'm not going to "like" that, because it isn't right. But I wanted to acknowledge that I'm sorry. I had some lovely vacation days in January when the restaurant was closed, We ate, we drank, we played lots of games and had lots of fun.

I'm really just being silly. I have lots of enjoyable days, but the last time I had a day that didn't involve my kids in some way, other than the hospital, was maybe last June. I did go hiking with DH and the kids stayed with my inlaws overnight.

• Like 2

I don't get days off.  Not even weekends.  I think my last real time off was when I had to travel across the country for medical care by myself a number of years ago.  It was glorious to be in a hotel room all by myself for three days, to eat what I wanted and when, to watch tv and read by myself.  Of course there was all the poking and prodding, but it was all worth it for the time off! 

Edited by Jean in Newcastle
  • Like 1

July 1995. We'd just moved here but left a few things behind at a friend's house. Dh took the boys to go pick these things up; it was an 8-hour drive one way. Two days to myself.

Holy moly, I'm not going to like this either, but wanted to say that almost 22 years without a day off is A LOT!

I don't get days off.  Not even weekends.  I think my last real time off was when I had to travel across the country for medical care by myself a number of years ago.  It was glorious to be in a hotel room all by myself for three days, to eat what I wanted and when, to watch tv and read by myself.  Of course there was all the poking and prodding, but it was all worth it for the time off! 

That made me laugh, all the poking and prodding were worth it, huh? Hysterical. 

• Like 2

My last day off was when I had an emergency c-section. I had only used birth centers before and was pleasantly surprised by the hospital experience. Sleeping any time, friendly nurses with pain meds, surprisingly amazing food, and only ONE child to take care of!

When a day off is only taking care of one newborn, you are a hard working mama!

• Like 1

I'm not gonna lie. The last time I had a day off it was because I was so hungover that I couldn't think thoughts. I left the six year old in charge and everything was fiiiine.

Just kidding, there was a 1:1 adult to child ratio even with me down for the count.

I agree, I have to be pretty sick to get a "day off," and then it isn't really "off" i.e. I am still the solo parent, still have to at least check in on work (and usually do some), still have to keep the house decent enough to be legal for habitation.  :P

Sometimes when I am out of town I manage to go a whole day without opening my computer or calling in to work.  But (a) my kids are with me and have to be kept in line; and (b) I feel worried the whole time, because it is a major guilt trip any time I take even part of a day off (weekends included).

• Like 1

I was feeling a bit envious of dh this morning.  I know that he goes to work whether he wants to or not.  (And often he doesn't want to) but he still makes his own schedule in the evenings or weekends without a lot of thought of how it's going to affect any of the rest of us.  My brother wants to get together just for coffee and I'm trying to figure out how to schedule it between getting the kids to college, work, activities etc.  And none of those obligations are too far removed timewise from another so it's hard to get a block of time when I can do what I want to do. 

• Like 2

I was feeling a bit envious of dh this morning. I know that he goes to work whether he wants to or not. (And often he doesn't want to) but he still makes his own schedule in the evenings or weekends without a lot of thought of how it's going to affect any of the rest of us. My brother wants to get together just for coffee and I'm trying to figure out how to schedule it between getting the kids to college, work, activities etc. And none of those obligations are too far removed timewise from another so it's hard to get a block of time when I can do what I want to do.

That's the thing. The having to take everyone else into account every single second of the day. It's a season, etc, I know. Still!

Dh still talks about how peacefully he rested in hospital after his appendix was removed... why couldn't it have been me?! Lol j/k.

I haven't had a day off for a looooooong time.

Sorry for your crazy morning, hope your day got better.

• Like 3

Had a few days off back in 1994 when had to hand over the baby to the neighbor (twins asleep in bed) so hubby could drop me off - 105.1 fever - at ER for what turned out to be a five-day "vacation" with pneumonia. Very relaxing. My meals (and ice chips) were brought to me! I got to read magazines! Ahhhhhh!

Rehab for 2.5 weeks after 2 weeks in hospital after car crash was sorta restful, too. Decent food brought to me, comfy bed, my own tv, and games and crafts with the OT and PT folks. I even built and painted a birdhouse :-) But I don't recommend going the car crash route just to get some "off" time ;-)

Sadie's post reminds me - best part of any hospital procedure is the soft, HEATED thick cotton blankie they bring you!!! Oh, and the initial small "buzz" a decent painkiller can give (I see how it can be addicting!!!!)

Edited by JFSinIL
  • Like 5

I'm at the point where I think I need at least a weekend off. Even when I'm sick, I'm still the "brains" behind this operation.

Sadie's post reminds me - best part of any hospital procedure is the soft, HEATED thick cotton blankie they bring you!!! Oh, and the initial small "buzz" a decent painkiller can give (I see how it can be addicting!!!!)

I am open to any suggestions on controlling the cost of healthcare... except getting rid of the warm hospital blankets. I look forward to them every time. Those and the heavy full-body X-Ray vests at the dentist. Sensory bliss.

• Like 3

So, about the pics, a fellow student found them and sold them and now that person is the subject of a police investigation. I am sick for his parents who are nice people. His life will be permanently altered by this little business venture. 

But you and your child are in the clear, right?

You posted "A DAY OFF" and I thought you were having clear, sunny skies and no rain in the forecast. I haven't been keeping track of California rain lately.

I'm spoiled.  :o  I'd say once a month DH takes the kids over to grandma's all day on Saturday or Sunday. Every couple of months they spend the night at grandma's. She's taking them next week so DH and I can go to ComicCon and just stay in a hotel close by instead of driving home each night. She'll have them Thursday mid-day thru Sunday morning. A couple times a year they go with grandma (sometimes with DH sometimes without) to a cabin about 5 hours away. They're usually gone 3-4 days. I suppose there are things I *could* be doing at home during all these times, there's always something else to do after all. But usually I don't and even DH says to just take the time to myself. So I usually read or binge-watch a show on netflix. Sometimes I shop or sew. If it's the weekend and DH isn't with them then we may go do something together. On the multi-day ones I usually take the first day to be responsible and clean/run errands/whatever needs done and then I just chill for the rest of it. And sometimes the sleepovers at grandma's are specifically to aid us with child care so we can tend to something, so obviously those times are different. 

• Like 2

But you and your child are in the clear, right?

You posted "A DAY OFF" and I thought you were having clear, sunny skies and no rain in the forecast. I haven't been keeping track of California rain lately.

Well, she is still probably going to have to be a witness, but she did nothing wrong except belong to the wrong Instagram group. But it should be a warning to every mother...KNOW what your kids are posting. We are still involved even though the pics are not of her. I don't think it will be a big deal, but you can't know for sure.

• Like 2

Okay, this is an honest question: why do you not get days off?  I understand those who are running small businesses, have breastfeeding babies or have chronic illnesses never feeling 'free' for a day, but how about the rest of you?  

I didn't use to do it very often when the boys were small, but that was mostly because I didn't take that time - I found it hard to make the decision.  But Husband always encouraged me to just go, whether to take a day hike or just go out for the day to have coffee and read.  

• Like 6

Okay, this is an honest question: why do you not get days off? I understand those who are running small businesses, have breastfeeding babies or have chronic illnesses never feeling 'free' for a day, but how about the rest of you?

I didn't use to do it very often when the boys were small, but that was mostly because I didn't take that time - I found it hard to make the decision. But Husband always encouraged me to just go, whether to take a day hike or just go out for the day to have coffee and read.

We just don't really run our family that way. I snatch time out at home. Dh works rotating shifts and we don't have handy babysitters.

When dh is home we tend to be all together or divide and conquer, just today he took a couple of the kids running errands while I did other stuff at home.

• Like 1

Okay, this is an honest question: why do you not get days off?  I understand those who are running small businesses, have breastfeeding babies or have chronic illnesses never feeling 'free' for a day, but how about the rest of you?  

I didn't use to do it very often when the boys were small, but that was mostly because I didn't take that time - I found it hard to make the decision.  But Husband always encouraged me to just go, whether to take a day hike or just go out for the day to have coffee and read.  

No one to watch the kids.

When DH is home, I can and do just leave whenever I feel like it. But that's just a few hours, sometimes from lunch to dinner if I can find enough stuff to do to take up that much time.

I'd consider a day off a full day of not having to think about anyone else at all, and just doing what I please.

In 2009, I went on a 24 hour women's retreat. I am thinking of doing another retreat this summer with a different group of friends.

My hospital stays to have babies were very relaxing, too! It's the utter lack of the continual need for tiny decisions all.day.long. They just bring you food, you sit and rest, read a magazine, care for the baby....bliss!

Next month, dh is taking the kids to a beloved (on their part) yearly field trip. From my side, it's loud and chaotic and hard. I am spending the day with my mother for her birthday. So not exactly a day off, but close enough. ;)

I think of a day off as a day I am free of all my regular responsibilities.   Since my job is "homemaker," a day off would be free of all the things a homemaker does.   That is pretty rare.  I don't consider a few hours free to be a day off.  

Today is Saturday and should be my day off.  But I had to get my daughter to the school for the SAT at 7:45 this morning.  Then I had to stop at a store for a couple of items for a baby shower this afternoon, and dinner for tonight.  After the baby shower I'll take my daughter shopping a bit as compensation for her having to take the SAT.  Somewhere in there I need to prepare or buy food for a lunch at church tomorrow.   

So basically the day off part of the day will be the baby shower.  :-)

Maybe if/when my husband ever retires I will truly have a day off.  Since he works 1.5 jobs, the .5 of which is very time-consuming (part-time associate pastor of a church we love), I try to do as much at home as possible to free him up.  He hasn't had a day off in a long time either.  

• Like 1

No one to watch kids when they were small - four of 'em, plus friends wary about dealing with one twin's autism.  Now kids  are grown, the only way our car crash and me being away from home for a month worked was 1. it was at the start of summer vacation, so youngest dd was able to be home a lot with 23-year-old brother, and 2. middle dd postponed moving to own apartment to be there before and after work to help run things, too.  Plus once I was lucid I wrote out a huge folder of what needed to get done, etc. from hospital bed, what bills to pay, what foods to cook that Joe would eat, etc.  Nowadays Joe needs to be driven to and from his autism day program. and his twin to his doctor and community college since he is on too many pills to drive safely.

Edited by JFSinIL

Okay, this is an honest question: why do you not get days off? I understand those who are running small businesses, have breastfeeding babies or have chronic illnesses never feeling 'free' for a day, but how about the rest of you?

I didn't use to do it very often when the boys were small, but that was mostly because I didn't take that time - I found it hard to make the decision. But Husband always encouraged me to just go, whether to take a day hike or just go out for the day to have coffee and read.

I have a college student who lives at home and who needs daily transportation at regular intervals throughout the day. He is a good driver but finances make it necessary for him to wait to get his license. And he's working on getting his car on a drivable state. The plan is for that to all come together this summer.

I also homeschool a high schooler. I'm not sitting with her all the time or anything but I do need to be available. And we need to keep to a schedule. I can't just blow off high school to go on a hike.

Also, she is very active with activities. Some things she can walk to or have friends pick her up but not always. The same financial constraints on getting a car will apply to her. (Her activities are closer to home than her brother's but eventually I predict that she will be doing things farther from home.

We school 5 hours a day and I drive a combined 3 hours a day.

• Like 3

I went to visit my family 1000 miles away for 5 days.  It was wonderful.  Next February, my sisters, mom, and I are planning a girl's trip to Disney World.  I have a great husband though I do get jealous of him.  He sprained his ankle pretty badly three weeks ago.  So, especially the first week, he just took off a couple of days from work and laid around and read books and watched netflix.  Even when I was in such hip pain (due to gluten ironically)where I could barely walk, I still slugged through and took care of my disabled son and just sucked it up because I had to.  Or the times I had the flu and still watched children because my husband couldn't take off work or the time I twisted my ankle pretty badly and still wheeled ds into school until the teacher saw me limping and came and took over...So, I'm glad I do get the longer breaks every year, but sometimes, I do get jealous of the freedom to call in sick and the freedom to not have to still do his job even when sick that dh has.

• Like 4

I go out with the boys and DH every other week or so, and often I just take the boys and we go do school down by the river. We take the kayaks and the boys boat after school is finished. I sit in my easy chair on the bank and read or write, or contemplate the cloud formations. I do my chores and my housekeeping before I leave the house, and I plan on doing chores when I get home. But those are still "days off" in my book, because I'm engaging in leisure activities of my choosing. 

• Like 1

My last real day off involved being in extreme pain at the hospital.

LOL, yeah, when I had my bariatric surgery I was feeling pain, but...I got to sleep half the day away in a bed with no kids bugging me. I just napped and napped and napped. I've never been so rested!

• Like 2

No..never...not even when hospitalised. 🙄

I was in hospital for one week with pneumonia. Kids were 18 months and 12 weeks. I was in an isolation room because they weren't sure in the beginning if I pneumonia or TB it was so severe.

DH dropped the kids off for me to watch because 'he couldnt handle babies when shopping". Trying to entertain an 18 month old ina tiny hospital room for hours is impossible. Luckily the baby just slept. In the end I kept the baby with me the whole time because DH was not caring for him adequately at home...as in over 40 degree celcius heat..no bathing( he smelled so bad even I was repulsed) and feeding him only 3-4 bottles in 24 hours 😳

Luckily for me it was a baby friendly hospital and the nurses thought it was delightful to have such a little baby to play with and helped me care for him cause I could barely get out of bed.

But no...no days off for me.

The other day I was in urgent care and they said I should admit myself.  I said, "here's my situation.  I'm a single mom and I have two kids getting off the school bus at 4pm."  They made me sign and promise not to sue them if I dropped dead because of being allowed to leave.  :P

In reality, there are people who would step up if I was actually dying, but I can't call on them for much less than that.

• Like 1

No..never...not even when hospitalised. 🙄

I was in hospital for one week with pneumonia. Kids were 18 months and 12 weeks. I was in an isolation room because they weren't sure in the beginning if I pneumonia or TB it was so severe.

DH dropped the kids off for me to watch because 'he couldnt handle babies when shopping". Trying to entertain an 18 month old ina tiny hospital room for hours is impossible. Luckily the baby just slept. In the end I kept the baby with me the whole time because DH was not caring for him adequately at home...as in over 40 degree celcius heat..no bathing( he smelled so bad even I was repulsed) and feeding him only 3-4 bottles in 24 hours 😳

Luckily for me it was a baby friendly hospital and the nurses thought it was delightful to have such a little baby to play with and helped me care for him cause I could barely get out of bed.

But no...no days off for me.

Wow, as a rock star mom, you are amazing!