Menu

How to rid of stuff, decluttering

Janeway

One issue I am having is how to rid of things when I declutter. I do not seem to know anyone with smaller children to give this stuff to. I hate to throw stuff away, and trying to sell stuff on garage sale sites or craigslist frustrates me. 

Here is what I have-

-Tons of 1980's Strawberry Shortcake stuff

-baby crib

-tons of disks of computer games I love, but my computers are no longer compatible for, like Jump Start and Reader Rabbit, as well as Roller Coaster Tycoon, etc.

-thing of XBOX games

I also have...boxes of odds and ends where I can tell that everything goes to something, but it takes time to collect everything up. Like, for example, on the top of this one container, I can see half of a silver piggy bank, other half will likely be in one of these containers, etc. I hate to toss this stuff out, but I am getting frustrated with having it all. 

Cart it on over to Goodwill and smile at the thought of someone really happy to make a great find. So happily liberating tonjust donate it!

ETA trash is trash. Broken things can often go right to the trash if they're not actually valuable.

Edited by Seasider
  • Like 7

Cart it on over to Goodwill and smile at the thought of someone really happy to make a great find. So happily liberating tonjust donate it!

ETA trash is trash. Broken things can often go right to the trash if they're not actually valuable.

The silver piggy bank is not broken. It has a little screw to screw the two sides together. One of the children must have unscrewed it at some point to get money out and it got left that way.

If you need the money, deal with the frustration and sell the stuff. Otherwise, do as others have said and box it all up and take it to Goodwill or call a local charitable organization that will pick it up curbside so you won't even have to drive it anywhere.

Problem solved. :)

• Like 3

Sorry. I feel your pain. I don't have any good advice. I can tell you though that I've reached a place in life where I am over trying to deal with it all, or wait for the part to this or that to show up, or....

I try to make a monthly trip to Goodwill and not look back. I'm going to do this until all of the old toys, the old games, the old computer things, he clothes they've outgrown and I can't find someone locally who needs those sizes and wants them, etc. are just gone. It is freeing to leave things at the Goodwill. Then go get a McDonald's iced tea. They have such a nice blend. You donate, then drink tea. It works!  :)

• Like 2

I donate things

on freecycle

in the local homeschool group

to Goodwill or a similar charitable organization that runs a resale store

ETA: It is not worth my time to hunt through boxes of junk to find missing pieces for toys. Those go in the trash.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 1

I donate things, too.  Freecycle was my go-to, but we moved into an area with a less active group, and actually getting someone to pick up is difficult.  So now I try that, prepared to be patient (I do porch pick ups, so it really doesn't bother me to put something out for 2 hours and bring it back in if the the person no-shows), and if I can't get the item picked up without feeling annoyed myself - I just take it to Goodwill and drop it off.  If you have a lot of stuff, it might be worth calling for a pick up from Goodwill or wherever you choose to donate.

If I make it complicated, it never leaves the house - so I try to keep it as simple as possible.

I've had so many dumb experiences selling stuff on craigslist that now I only do it if I think I can get a decent amount of money for it.  We once sold a working computer set up for $25.  Yes it was older, but it was complete and working.  The person who bought it called us about 20 times to ask what were basically tech support questions.  They had absolutely no idea how to even plug a computer in.  Which fine, but it got to be rather ridiculous and way too aggravating for $25 when we were trying to move!

We donate when we can, but we do accumulate stuff that really isn't donate worthy. We have done a dumpster when we've done renovation or attic clean out but it's expensive. Our current go-to is a local company that hauls stuff off for a price- a fully loaded pickup truck load (they have extensions on the side so it's about 4 feet high) runs about $75. Sure, it's pricey, but way cheaper than having our trash hauler come get things. 

We also have a Facebook page that is for selling/swapping/free stuff. That really helps, but much like Craigslist, sometimes you get TONS of questions that really make you not want to bother.  

I found out recently that my city has a women's shelter which accepts all kinds of clothing, toys, household goods, etc.  They give "first dibs" on any donated goods to the women who are living in the shelter, and the rest goes into their thrift store to raise money to keep the shelter operating.  So from now on, that's where most of my stuff will be going.  I've got a bag in my closet right now that I'm tossing stuff into as I run across it.

-tons of disks of computer games I love, but my computers are no longer compatible for, like Jump Start and Reader Rabbit, as well as Roller Coaster Tycoon, etc.

-thing of XBOX games

We have places the buy and resell used movies, video games, etc.  Is there something like that in your area?  You won't get much money for them, but it's a thought.

• Like 5

Trash and Goodwill.

We often think of the value of stuff but here is my approach to that: a lot of the money I spend goes to consumable stuff or food I eat, a class for my kids, a trip somewhere, a movie or concert ticket, etc. Once that money is spent I never think about "oh no, how can I get value back out of that!"--the value was in the moment of eating or watching or learning etc.

The same is true of the value of physical non consumable stuff. I bought the stuff, used it however I was going to use it, now it is just sitting around being a burden to me. The money has been spent and the benefit derived.

Time to let it go just as if I were walking out of a restaurant after consuming my meal.

• Like 15

I consign children's stuff at a JBF sale twice a year. I have been doing it for over 10 years, and I have a set amount of hours that I work on preparing as much as I can and that is it. Because it is part of my yearly routine, and during the year I have a system for where I put stuff that I am going to try to sell, it isn't a huge deal. I mean it is a lot of work, but it's like Christmas. I know it is coming. I simplify, plan, etc. 

In that way I can sell a certain amount of stuff, clean out some stuff, and have $ while there to buy what my toddler needs for the next season. My older kids have outgrown any clothing and most toys, but occasionally I find things they can use in room decor or books or school books still.  So it is some out, some in, and I make a tiny bit of $ after. I could make a lot more, but I don't have any more time to put into than I do. And that is ok. So a lot of clothes that could sell still get handed down to someone else or just taken to goodwill. 

Anything else around here goes straight to goodwill. Things I wouldn't use anymore they might. So I let them make that distinction. Small bits of broken things of course go in the trash. 

But I learned from a Goodwell worker who talked at our scout meeting that they even want single shoes and torn clothing because ours has a facility that makes them into rags. So at this point I take most stuff there. If it is trash to them ok. But I want to give them the opportunity to recycle it if they can. 

Sometimes though, as I am cleaning out a drawer, I will just toss something. 

In the case of your stuff. I would add the SS stuff to my consignment sale stuff since I already have that habit. The rest would go to goodwill. 

Most stuff is not worth trying to sell.   We had a bunch of Xbox games, some still wrapped.  My son looked them up and said not to bother trying to sell them, they were basically worthless.  We took them to a charity that runs a thrift store.  They were happy to take them to try to sell.  

Same charity takes clothing, and will take even wrecked clothing, towels, etc., which they sell to a fabric recycler.  So, I don't even worry anymore about tossing frayed towels, ripped t-shirts, etc into the donation bag, because they're happy to have it.  Better clothing I donate to a local "clothes closet" which gives the stuff away to people who need it (as opposed to selling it at a thrift store).  

And trash... no one likes to fill up the landfills but trash is trash.  Try to be objective.  Is anyone likely to want the stuff?  I am another who won't bother trying to find a part of something that might be around, or might not, unless the thing had a very high value ($$ or sentimental).  

ETA: Not speaking specifically to the OP, but in general - I think people may have gotten the message of "reuse, recycle, give away, don't throw away" so embedded that it's hard to just throw stuff in the trash.  So many people seem to think they shouldn't throw anything away and will give worthless junk to charities, who are then burdened with the cost of throwing the stuff away.  Some things simply can't be reused or recycled, much as we would like to think so (or much as we'd like not to feel guilty about tossing stuff in the trash can).   

Edited by marbel
  • Like 5

I had Dh go through his desk/shelves this weekend.  One massive garbage ball full of junk and half my recycle bin with boxes broken down.  Oh my gosh it's awful the things he has kept over the years and we have moved!

I'm in a purging mood.  I put things by the road and some get gone, some don't.  I have to pay for trash that won't fit in my tiny bin, but today I was ok with that.  I just want it gone.  I donate clothes to goodwill but everything else is trash and I trash it.  Feels good to have it gone. 

you could try eBay with the older toy stuff.  I hate going to the post office.  

I'm getting ready to sell a bunch of old school readers and I dread the time it will take to get things mailed out. 

Donate to a charity and throw the rest out.

There is a thread couple weeks ago about claiming donations. If you itemize your taxes, look it up. You'll h

Feel a little better about giving it all away.

I keep a box upstairs and one downstairs. Every month when I get my hair cut, I go by my charity and make a donation.

• Like 1

After seeing donated books at a local school being carted away to the paper recycling, I am hesitant to donate books.  I usually sell them at a low cost on our homeschool group - just to know that the person taking them actually wants them.

Other items go to a homeless shelter.  They give it to needy people or sell for their funds.

I prefer to get rid of things all at once. Why not try giving away a few boxes or bags to the thrift store/charity of your choice and then see how you feel about it? It's very freeing for me to drop off a load of donations. Less stuff to clean, sort, store, etc.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Donate to a charity and throw the rest out.

There is a thread couple weeks ago about claiming donations. If you itemize your taxes, look it up. You'll h

Feel a little better about giving it all away.

I keep a box upstairs and one downstairs. Every month when I get my hair cut, I go by my charity and make a donation.

Am I the only one giving a jealous side eye to someone who is organized enough to stay on top of donations AND get her hair cut every month? My haircuts all begin with an apology to my stylists about my prolonged absence.

• Like 11

I prefer to get rid of things all at once. Why not try giving away a few boxes or bags to the thrift store/charity of your choice and then see how you feel about it? It's very freeing for me to drop off a load of donations. Less stuff to clean, sort, store, etc.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Definitely freeing.

I actually find the pleasure I derive from getting rid of stuff to be at least equal to the pleasure of acquiring new stuff :) It can be a bit addictive once started: "oh! What else can I get rid of?"

• Like 1

Goodwill trashes about 90% of the stuff they get per someone we talked to at a Goodwill store a while back.  If you don't want it trashed don't take it there.

I don't know, I'd be willing to believe that 90% of what is donated is actually trash. Taking a load of stuff to the dump costs money. Donating is free. And people seem to have an inflated idea of what their stuff is worth--sure, it's a bedbug-ridden, soggy old mattress, but it's their bedbug-ridden, soggy old mattress, so it's good stuff. 

• Like 5

Your DH is out of work.  Do a quick research to see if anything you have will generate some money.  Can your DH do this in between looking for work?  It might bring in a bit of cash--enough for a bill or two.

If the amount it would bring isn't enough to cover a couple of bills, then toss anything that's broken and take all the rest to Goodwill.

• Like 2

Am I the only one giving a jealous side eye to someone who is organized enough to stay on top of donations AND get her hair cut every month? My haircuts all begin with an apology to my stylists about my prolonged absence.

I almost spit out my coffee when I read this!

Hair stylist only works part time, so if I don't schedule it, I don't get it when I need to, short hair and all that.   Donation place is several blocks away. 

Plus, I have time on my side.  Last kiddoe got married 7 years ago, and I have been decluttering ever since!

But thanks for the chuckle.

• Like 1

Same here- usually when I call to book an appointment they try to find me in the computer and ask if I've been there before. Yup, 20 years now...but just once or twice a year. 

Signed,

Scraggly haircut

• Like 1

I rarely find selling things worth it, but most of the items I'm getting rid of are of low resale value.

I took some time a few months ago to sort out my donating/selling options, and that leg work lets me get rid of many things in good conscience without a ton of regular effort:

- I found a place to donate children's clothes and toys that mostly uses rather than resells them.  Most of our outgrown things head there every 3-6 months.

- I found a good children's consignment shop.  Twice a year I drop off anything that might actually sell; I keep everything in a sealed plastic box in my garage until seasonally appropriate.  I list the item on my local mom's buy/sell/trade FB page first, and if it hasn't sold (and been actually picked up) in 72 hours, to the consignment box (or donate) it goes.

- My library has a small used book store and a biannual book sale.  Books dropped off 3-4 weeks before the sale are most likely to get sorted and purchased, so I have a calendar reminder to drop off books twice a year.  Anything the library doesn't take gets posted in my local hs buy/sell/trade FB page, and if it hasn't sold and been picked up in 72 hours, it goes to Goodwill.

- There's a local agency that helps people prepare for and interview for jobs.  I finally cleaned out my closet after being honest that 3 kids later, most of my professional wear wasn't going to see the light of day on this body.  I keep them on file for times when my husband needs to get rid of still serviceable professional wear.

- Almost everything else that is genuinely serviceable goes to Goodwill.  I'm sure there are better places out there, but I only have so much running around in me.  The above categories (children's toys/clothes/books and regular books) are the ones I can guarantee I'm decluttering with some regularity, so I like having a place to send those things that I feel good about.  The rest of it just needs to move out of my house.

- I found a local guy that will come haul anything away.  For a VERY reasonable rate + dump fee, he will collect pretty much anything lying around and take it to all appropriate places.  I know he prefers to take the minimum to the dump, so he definitely recycles and sells some things, but he has the vehicle, time, and manpower to move many things I just can't or would spend a lot more time/energy/money to do.  I don't do this often, but for a REALLY big declutter mission, it's fantastic to have someone show up with a big trailer who will take pretty much anything out of your house/garage.  

Two weeks ago, I posted on a local board a bunch of baby stuff I had.  I said to name your price or simply take if you had need.  I got several people to come by and give me a token amount of money for some stuff.  I was just so happy to see it gone!  I've got one more bag, which I will be taking to our local thrift store as a donation.  

I don't know, I'd be willing to believe that 90% of what is donated is actually trash. Taking a load of stuff to the dump costs money. Donating is free. And people seem to have an inflated idea of what their stuff is worth--sure, it's a bedbug-ridden, soggy old mattress, but it's their bedbug-ridden, soggy old mattress, so it's good stuff. 

I don't know about Goodwill and I don't know about 90%, but ds volunteers on and off at our local SPCA thrift shop. Usually they have him help with incoming donations. He says a good deal more than half of what people drop off is trash. He and his fellow volunteers spend a lot of time throwing donations directly into the dumpster. 

My rule has always been if I'd be embarrassed to give the item(s) to family or friends, I won't donate those items. People want to buy second hand stuff. They don't want to buy actual trash. My guess is most donation centers (be they thrift shops or places that give the items directly to those in need) are given an awful lot of trash.

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 3

ETA: Not speaking specifically to the OP, but in general - I think people may have gotten the message of "reuse, recycle, give away, don't throw away" so embedded that it's hard to just throw stuff in the trash.  So many people seem to think they shouldn't throw anything away and will give worthless junk to charities, who are then burdened with the cost of throwing the stuff away.  Some things simply can't be reused or recycled, much as we would like to think so (or much as we'd like not to feel guilty about tossing stuff in the trash can).   

I hadn't thought of it this way but you might have a point. We've been so conditioned that we think, "I can't see a way to recycle this but maybe someone else will" and the ever popular "One man's trash is another man's treasure". Sometimes one man's trash is just trash.

• Like 4

I hadn't thought of it this way but you might have a point. We've been so conditioned that we think, "I can't see a way to recycle this but maybe someone else will" and the ever popular "One man's trash is another man's treasure". Sometimes one man's trash is just trash.

I so agree with your last sentence. I see many posts in a local classified group where someone is trying to sell something that is not usable, but "It would be easy to fix." If it was that easy, why haven't you done it?

Erica in OR

• Like 2

One issue I am having is how to rid of things when I declutter. I do not seem to know anyone with smaller children to give this stuff to. I hate to throw stuff away, and trying to sell stuff on garage sale sites or craigslist frustrates me.

Here is what I have-

-Tons of 1980's Strawberry Shortcake stuff

-baby crib

-thing of XBOX games

I also have...boxes of odds and ends where I can tell that everything goes to something, but it takes time to collect everything up. Like, for example, on the top of this one container, I can see half of a silver piggy bank, other half will likely be in one of these containers, etc. I hate to toss this stuff out, but I am getting frustrated with having it all.

I am thankful that I have a great local consignment store where the owner takes and sells almost anything. See if one exists in your area. If not, just give it to a thrift store and trust that they will do something with it. ETA she's not taking my trash. But 1980s strawberry shortcake stuff? Yes she'd take that and sell that because someone collects it. Again, if you can't find an outlet for this, please donate things like that. Someone will buy it and love it. She also puts things on eBay and sells them for you. She collects 50% of the sales price, but that's more than I had when it was sitting and rotting in the attic, waiting for the day I would put it on eBay. Edited by MotherGoose