Menu

S/O Parents not wanting to pay

SamanthaCarter

A few posters mentioned in that thread that they have completely given up on fundraising to cover costs for various organizations like 4H, scouts etc. While I understand giving up for lack of participation or because of entitled attitudes, I'm not sure I understand the attitude that the people who don't have the cash should do thier own fundraising. How would one go about doing this without the backing of the organization? I have often thought that it would be nice if we could do some of our own fundraising so that my kids could be in some extracurriculars, but it seems rather tacky to go out and sell stuff so my kids can participate in whatever. I mean why would random people want to help some random kids pay their tuition/fees when there is no real backing from the organization they want to participate in? Does that make sense? People buy GS cookies and BS popcorn and Band oranges and Football chocolates because they feel like they know where their money is going.

Our particular situation is that my kids participate in a regional children's choir that costs $450 a kid per year plus trips. Our family income is just enough that we'd not be able to get a scholarship, but that coming up with the cash is a bit difficult. It precludes any sports or music or other arts. Choir fundraisers that would directly reduce our cash outlay are essentially asking family and friends to help pay. That's not happening. They all have their own kids stuff to pay for and the grandparents think that buying tickets and coming to the concerts is their financial support.

I know some of you believe this is a matter of priorities and that if it's important, you'll pay. But you can't get blood from a stone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by SamanthaCarter
  • Like 5

My aunt and cousins baked bread and walked around the neighborhood selling it to pay for summer music camp every year. Laws in this state are friendly to cottage industry like that, it may not be an option everywhere but perhaps something similar? Making and selling decorations for whatever holidays are coming up for example.

• Like 2

:grouphug: I do know how frustrating it is to not be able to afford activities. But I do have very mixed feelings about fundraisers. I have definitely seen the problems talked about in the other thread and generally think that not offering fundraisers is the best way for organizations to go. My kids have not done many things because we could just not afford it. For things that are really important, the kids have asked for money toward activities for birthdays and Christmas. They have done yardwork, babysat, and watched houses and pets.

Our mantra is if we can't do it, we can't do it. It is not shameful or embarassing to say, I can't afford that trip.

• Like 13

In 4H, the parents can fundraise with the backing of the organization, they simply have to apply to the office for permission for that specific event, and then take over advertising and execution of it. The leader simply is no longer organizing and running them any more.

Pop can drives, bake sales, hosting a garage sale, having the kids rake leaves and mow lawns to help pay for their activity are all things individual families can do.

The reality is that putting in 700 hours a year for 2016/17 as a volunteer, something had to give. I could no longer add on to that taking the responsibility to find the money for everyone else to participate. And OP, while I am sure that you are the kind of parent that would show up with bells on to help with fundraisers that benefit your child, please understand you are rare. RARE! Most of the people, at least here in 4H and Scouts to name to big organizations, who need scholarships and fundraising dollars do not show up to do the work. They expect someone else to raise the money for their child, do ALL the work, and then get NASTY if the money isn't there or are told, "I am sorry. You did not participate or assist in any way with the fundraising for this trip, therefore your child cannot attend." I had a parent threaten to punch me in the face one time. They skipped every single fundraiser, did not pay their membership fees, skipped every parent meeting even though we offered that if they sent an older teen or a relative representing the student that would be okay too....NOPE, did not turn in permission slips on time, nothing. No parental effort, but threats of physical violence because we wouldn't let their child go on the trip.

If I were being paid for what I do, then yah, I'd do the fundraisers as part of my job.

We had an enterprising young man who stacked wood for local farmers to fund the $450.00 he needed to be on rocket team. He's in 8th grade. He earned every dime all by himself. We were SOOOOO proud of him!

I've had teen girls advertise babysitting services and use the money to pay for their 4H trip, and another who did yardwork. So kids working for their activity is a great way to go too, and not just selling or asking for money.

• Like 10

Boy Scouts is my favorite here. You can sell enough popcorn for a boy to pay for everything he needs for the year. My ds did it twice, in less than 15 hours each time. You don't have to do it with anybody else. The parent does have to help, but that is what parents do.

As far as fundraisers where everyone participate I have seen on the board lots of parents who do most of the work and the people who do nothing or the least work get demanding of the money raised. So I would see nothing wrong with volunteering to have a fundraiser for your kids choir and understand that some people are barely going to help but want plenty of the money you raise. That may be something your are comfortable with, or not, but that is the option you have. 

A better solution for someone in your case IMO would be a small business that doesn't make a lot of money but your whole family chips in and uses the money for activities. A pet sitting business or something like that.

• Like 2

I believe our laws are friendly to that. I worry that it comes across tacky or suspicious. Thoughts? How likely would you be to buy something from a kid who is raising money to participate in his choir verses Girl Scout cookies?

I think a great place to start would be to approach neighbors and ask them if they have yardwork or dog walking or something they need to have done that the child could assist with as a way to earn the money for the activity. Explain what the activity is up front and how much the child will need to earn in total. 

Snow shoveling, while back breaking labor here in Michigan, is paid for quite handsomely by the retired folks in the neighborhood.

My sister once wanted to go to Blue Lake Fine Arts Camp and couldn't afford it. She used babysitting money to go pick blueberries at the You Pick Blueberry Farm, and then bagged them in lunch paper sacks, and sold them door to door for triple what she paid to pick. She did it three times. The neighbors loved getting the fresh berries, and it was a LOT more berries for the price than one gets at the super market a half pint at a time, and the added bonus was they didn't have to go out and pick them either.

Another time she was hired by a neighbor to hoe in their corn patch which was pretty big, and told that since they were going on vacation, she should take all the corn that was ripe. She got three bushels and sold six ears for $1.50 door to door. Since there are about 40-48 ears per bushel, she made close to $40.00 and the hoeing took 2-3 hours so not bad pay for a teenager.

Farm sitting is a way to make good money if your kids are old enough to be trained by the farmer to work with the livestock. It is very hard for farmers, hobby farmers in particular who do not have employees, to get away on vacation or when they have an emergency. So being able to put horses out to pasture in the morning, mucking out, accessing stock for injury, filling troughs and water buckets, feeding cats and dogs, bringing in the mail and putting out the garbage, stacking hay bales....it can be good money. Our middle boy raised all the money he needed to go to Iceland just farm sitting a few times each summer for two different farmers.

• Like 5

Those who've given up on doing group wide fundraisers, please understand I don't blame you for your decisions. I understand what you are saying. Just trying to find some solutions for giving my kids a few of the opportunities they'd have if they attended school.

• Like 2

When ds was in boy scouts, he sold popcorn door to door and earned enough for a couple of summer camps.  We didn't have the money at the time to pay outright for them.  If I was in a position of needing money for my kids to attend activities, I would have my kids doing yard work for others, clean houses, or even babysit (it would have been me).  In my neighborhood, there are people who are always wanting babysitters for last minute things, watching a child after school for a day or two - lots of random things. Churches sometimes pay for childcare on Sundays.  I figured if I needed the money badly, I would offer myself.  Not the best of paying gigs and something I wouldn't necessarily like, but flexible.  

• Like 1

When people buy things like GS cookies, BS popcorn, etc, there's a specific set of protocol and so on so that folks can be relatively sure (I mean short of someone stealing $1k from a cookie booth of course) that the money they spend on these things is going to the organization and by extension, the girls specifically. For example, when girls are at cookie booths, they are usually required to wear something indicating their position as scouts, like their vests or at least their pin, plus of course the logo is plastered all over each box.

When a parent goes fundraising all on their own, there's nothing to say that the money is going for what they say it is. Random kid shows up on my door selling trashbags or asking for donations so he can go to summer camp....I don't have much assurances that that is really what's happening with the money.

Right. This is exactly what I'm thinking.

I've had grandparents express some interest in paying for classes (i.e. Theatre, tennis) but then when they hear the price the subject gets dropped. Grandparents don't seem to get that these are the going rates or something.

I imagine the effects of inflation are hard to keep up with after many decades of life. They doubtless remember what things used to cost when they were raising their own families are thinking along the same lines when making their offers.

If they are willing to help out maybe they could fund half the cost?

• Like 1

I believe our laws are friendly to that. I worry that it comes across tacky or suspicious. Thoughts? How likely would you be to buy something from a kid who is raising money to participate in his choir verses Girl Scout cookies?

I think it would depend on how much I actually wanted the thing being sold. Also how professionally they present themselves. Having business cards or flyers related to the choir might help.

• Like 4

I hardly see the difference, but I do think you might encounter some issues with people trusting it.  If someone shows up to sell Girl Scout cookies people know what that's about.  If you show up to sell for your tuition to join a choir, hmmm I don't know.  It's too bad the choir people don't offer some way to earn some of the money.  Ours doesn't either and it's equally expensive. 

Edited by SparklyUnicorn

When I was a kid, my brother latched onto the idea of going to Space Camp. It was deemed too expensive by our parents, but he wanted a friend who was a fellow homeschooler to go with us (I somehow got latched on, I didn't know there were other things that I might like better), and her mom decided that we all should fundraise our trip by selling candy bars.

She did organize a thing where we sold outside a local racetrack, but that was it. My brother and I lived in a semi-rural area, and quickly maxed out the neighbors. What else were pre-teens supposed to do with all these candy bars? Eventually, we spent Saturday's where our mom would drop us off at various neighborhoods and we'd go ring on doorbells and say "I'm raising money to go to space camp, would you like to buy a candy bar for $1?" (This was my first evidence of the fact that UMC people are stingy, we made less than half from those neighborhood than the mc/lmc subdivisions). Eventually, it became clear that space camp was never going to happen. The other girl sold almost no candy bars, she and and her dad just ate a bunch of them. It ended up that the other mom asked our mom to close it up, and she took all the money we raised (it only dawned on our mom a few weeks later that this wasn't right, she's not the sharpest tool in the shed) and she took her daughter to D.C. 

#totalhomeschoolfail in the 90's.  :smilielol5:

Towards the end of this debacle, when it was clear that space camp wasn't happening and we still had a whole box of candy bars to sell, we had a long conversation about what we were going to say we were raising money for. I totally forget what we came up with. I don't think it was very convincing. But at that point we didn't care.

My aunt and cousins baked bread and walked around the neighborhood selling it to pay for summer music camp every year. Laws in this state are friendly to cottage industry like that, it may not be an option everywhere but perhaps something similar? Making and selling decorations for whatever holidays are coming up for example.

We once had a teen from down the street offer to bake pies to raise money for her school trip to Europe. Years later, dd baked almost 50 pies in one weekend to raise money for a Taekwon-do tournament in Spain (I think). 

• Like 2

We could easily sell scones and cinnamon rolls and coffee down on the farmers market Saturday mornings.

This is a great idea. I don't think it is either tacky or suspicious. And so what if it is? You are not asking for straight out donations. You are providing a good or service to the purchaser.

Don't think of it as a fundraiser. Think of it as a small business opportunity for your kids. Whether the money earned goes into savings, new clothes, or the choir really doesn't matter.

However, I would have a sign at the booth stating that the earnings are designated for the choir (and then, of course, do so). I think it would help generate more sales.

• Like 7

Right. This is exactly what I'm thinking.

This is why I would emphasis offering a service for payment rendered...dog sitting, leaf raking, etc. The person receives a service for something they need or might not want to do, and pays the child or parent to do it then the money goes to fund the activity.

It is, in my opinion, much better than selling.

With our 4H club, dh and I are so averse to selling that we put our foot down. Nope. Not peddling stuff no one wants door to door. That is really annoying. On the other hand, getting the flower beds weeded, that is something I would pay a local band member to do!

• Like 9

Although honestly, I'd rather just give people a few bucks than buy something.  Our choir never sold anything before and they wanted to raise some extra funds to commission a song for an anniversary.  So they asked us to sell candy.  It was a pretty decent deal because it was a local company and they give half the money to the choir.  HOWEVER, I have absolutely nobody to sell candy to.  You really aren't supposed to go door to door and no way would I where I live.  I have no family to sell to.  Friends?  I don't sell stuff like that to friends otherwise we'd all be hitting each other up left and right for this stuff.  They have enough money to pay for their own fund raisers.  Work?  They don't allow that either.  So I wrote them a check for $50 and said sorry I have nobody to sell candy to.  I don't want to buy $50 or $100 worth of candy.  What on earth will I do with that?

Edited by SparklyUnicorn
  • Like 5

Those who've given up on doing group wide fundraisers, please understand I don't blame you for your decisions. I understand what you are saying. Just trying to find some solutions for giving my kids a few of the opportunities they'd have if they attended school.

My boys raised hundreds of dollars by playing Christmas music in the entryway of the local grocery store. They wrote a letter to the manager to ask permission to play there and they had a sign in one of the cases that said they were raising money for a school trip to Italy. Lots of people commented on how nice it was to have the music, so people enjoyed it. Plus, it wasn't really in your face. If you wanted to drop money in the case you could, but no one was asking for money.

The store often has people fundraising in the entryway - either selling raffle tickets or chocolate bars or whatever, so it wasn't like it was a totally weird thing to do.

I wonder if that would work with singing? 

• Like 9

We could easily sell scones and cinnamon rolls and coffee down on the farmers market Saturday mornings.

We could do so only if we rented.a.space and had a permit from the health department. If making food at home,.there are also.inspection and permits needed.

When we had a heavy snow, a family of several boys came around offering to shovel our walk. They ended up doing the whole driveway, too. I was very happy to pay them for that!

Now that the grass is growing, they are pushing a mower around on weekends and developing a very tidy business. I'm impressed by their hard work.

I haven't got a clue what they're using the money for, nor do I care, but it could probably fund some trips or extracurricular activities pretty easily.

• Like 1

Look up your own state's cottage food laws. It varies from state to state, so it won't help you to hear that others can't do it where they live, KWIM?

Edited to add link:

http://www.pickyourown.org/CottageFoodLawsByState.htm

Edited by unsinkable
  • Like 6

I got interrupted, and posted so I didn't lose it.

The point I was trying to make is that usually the parent needs to be involved, or at least supportive, for a kid to be able to raise funds. In my case, we had few neighbors but it wasn't a farming area. There were no jobs, even weed-pulling jobs, within walking distance on a regular basis. Babysitting jobs came up sometimes, but the church jobs I got were such low pay that I didn't understand that I could make actual money from it, and when I got private jobs I didn't know to ask a reasonable amount.

There ended up being a greenhouse with piece-work that fell under agriculture employment so they could hire at 14. I worked there all summer, 6days a week, working extra, so I could pay for my EC. Mom still had to drive us, but since it was a J.O.B. with actual tax implications she was willing.

In the end, though, you need to consider man-hours vs. profit and also any local food safety, small business, and/or tax laws. I'm pretty sure all the ideas mentioned upthread would technically need to go on your own tax return as income. Or maybe your child would technically need to file (thought there may still be the $600 minimum of income to file). It's a can of worms once you step outside the confines of a regular, registered non-profit. Not that most people care about following the letter of the law in these sort of cases, but you open yourself up to a bunch of headaches. And at the end of the day, once you subtract expenses, how much do you make? Is the amount worth it for the hours you put in? Do the intangible benefits of your kids raising "their own" money outweigh the fact that you may gain more money by taking on a small part-time job yourself for that amount of hours?

As for how much people will trust you. Hard to say. If your community knows of the choir, or are generally aware of choirs and how much they cost, then saying you're fundraising for it will go over well. Though as a tip, people are more trusting if they don't see an adult there. If you're comfortable and able to step aside, it may be worth it to see how sales go without your presence.

• Like 3

Does anyone remember the cheerleaders going around selling mattresses??? That was in a thread a few years ago, and was a legit thing. They were selling mattresses door to door for some trip or competition they were attending.

I nearly fell over. First, 'Who buys mattresses from teenagers selling door to door?" I can't even imagine that. Second, "Did not one single adult consider the imagery of cheerleaders selling 'beds" on the streets?' I mean. Really. This one absolutely gobsmacked me!

• Like 5

My DD does a competitive rec cheer team, and parents are allowed to organize fundraisers. We lucked out. one of the families owns several auto repair shops, and agreed to donate the proceeds from the snack machines if the team would take on stocking them. It's a relatively small amount of work for a good, steady return-and something that the teenagers really seem to love doing (the team has an account at Costco and has a standing order-the teens need to drive to Costco, pick up the order, and then stock the three locations, and report back as to what is selling well and what isn't to the team manager so she can change the order if needed. They are allowed to have one snack each :) ).  That pays for most of the cost for our senior girls to go to Nationals each summer.

• Like 5

I've had grandparents express some interest in paying for classes (i.e. Theatre, tennis) but then when they hear the price the subject gets dropped.

My parents gift me cash each year for education expenses even when my kids were in public school. I think paying for classes is harder than generic cash gift for education. For example music lessons were $100/lesson for both kids which means that it would cost my parents $5200/yr to sponsor both kids. However their cash gift offset my cost making it more affordable for my kids to try out different instruments until they figure out which instrument calls to them.

For fundraising, the schools sometimes allow fundraising to be done at the parking lot for events like band trip, D.C. trip. Typically it is car wash and cookie sales and done over the weekend. While kids typically won't be denied, not showing up for part of the weekend would make news for the neighborhood gossip chain. We are talking 5th-8th graders so kids who are within walking distance from the local school. My neighbors' kids made money babysitting and pet sitting to help fund things like 4H projects and camps.

You might also consider asking the choir people to consider a fund raiser to defray the cost of choir for families in general.  I know you said they have scholarships, but if you just tell them it's still hard to afford being above the cut off maybe they'd work with you.

I actually think our choir would help someone who needed it.  Lot of generous people in the group who have donated money to each other for various reasons (medical, death in family, etc.). 

Actually, not all that much of the money that scouts raise selling commercially made cookies and popcorn goes to the scouts.  Most of it ends up in the council's bank account, with a chunk going to the bakeries.  We aren't enthusiastic popcorn sellers because of this (we do the minimal expected selling time and call it good), but I do help with all of the fundraisers within the pack where the money stays with the pack.  

We had a friend whose child advertised yard work/odd jobs to pay for a camp.  We hired him because we wanted to help an industrious child reach his goal.  I didn't feel taken advantage of or like I was being asked to pay for his camp.  I don't even remember which camp it was he was going to.  

Edited by LucyStoner
  • Like 9

I hate fundraisers.  I hate participating in them.  I don't want the stuff being sold. I hate being forced to join them.  I would much rather pay an extra amount to not have to do them. 

Now a service that I want.

babysitting

shoveling

dog sitting

music lessons

art lessons

yard work

So offer me a service as your way to earn money and I will buy.   But other stuff nope. 

I would look at you making money or your kids. 

Or does your choir get funds from companies in the area? 

• Like 2

This is a great idea. I don't think it is either tacky or suspicious. And so what if it is? You are not asking for straight out donations. You are providing a good or service to the purchaser.

Don't think of it as a fundraiser. Think of it as a small business opportunity for your kids. Whether the money earned goes into savings, new clothes, or the choir really doesn't matter.

However, I would have a sign at the booth stating that the earnings are designated for the choir (and then, of course, do so). I think it would help generate more sales.

I totally agree with this. Just think in terms of earning money.

If you have a garage sale or sell crafts etc. be sure to also have a donation jar clearly marked. Even if people just throw in their change it adds up!

• Like 1

Okay, I am going to share the killer thing that got me this last December. Dec. 2016.

So dh and I have $1000.00 of our own money put into rocket team because even with the grants and with the other parents being required to put in $450.00 per family, there wasn't enough money to fully fund student launch initiative. The other parents KNOW we had to put that money in. They are not in the dark about this. Of the other five families, three are pretty glad we could do it so that the project could go forward, the other two I think maybe not so much. But whatever. It is a once in a life time opportunity for these kids and probably will lead to college scholarships, so oh well, we are doing this thing.

The two families that seem kind of "meh" about it actually had the nerve to ask us to buy pizza coupons and chocolate - very expensive I might add and NOT high quality either - to help fund their kids' summer camp.

I think my jaw may have dropped. It is possible that dh had to grab my chin and return it to an appropriate position before something escaped my mouth that I would later regret.

How many times does one think one can dip into the same well before it goes dry? I don't think they've stopped to consider that.

Anyway, we did not offer to buy a thing.

• Like 1

Does anyone remember the cheerleaders going around selling mattresses??? That was in a thread a few years ago, and was a legit thing. They were selling mattresses door to door for some trip or competition they were attending.

I nearly fell over. First, 'Who buys mattresses from teenagers selling door to door?" I can't even imagine that. Second, "Did not one single adult consider the imagery of cheerleaders selling 'beds" on the streets?' I mean. Really. This one absolutely gobsmacked me!

No!  That's hilarious.

I hate fundraisers.  I hate participating in them.  I don't want the stuff being sold. I hate being forced to join them.  I would much rather pay an extra amount to not have to do them. 

Now a service that I want.

babysitting

shoveling

dog sitting

music lessons

art lessons

yard work

So offer me a service as your way to earn money and I will buy.   But other stuff nope. 

I would look at you making money or your kids. 

Or does your choir get funds from companies in the area? 

Oh I agree.  Although what worries me about getting too deep into stuff like this is I start to worry what if something happens while my kid is doing these things.  What if my kid lost someone's dog?  What if they break something?  It's one thing maybe to sell services to a neighbor you have known for years and another to turn it into a business selling services to strangers.  I assume if you are selling stuff as a group representing a well established organization you have some insurance for that.  Otherwise? 

People are so quick to sue or give you a very hard time. 

Oh I agree.  Although what worries me about getting too deep into stuff like this is I start to worry what if something happens while my kid is doing these things.  What if my kid lost someone's dog?  What if they break something?  It's one thing maybe to sell services to a neighbor you have known for years and another to turn it into a business selling services to strangers.  I assume if you are selling stuff as a group representing a well established organization you have some insurance for that.  Otherwise? 

People are so quick to sue or give you a very hard time. 

agree with you.  That is why I haven't had my kids start something although they want to. 

• Like 1

So what would you suggest for my small choir at my private school?  I am totally with a lot of you.  But out of my 12 kids, about 5 are in need of financial assistance for anything extra.  The school already does a couple of big fundraisers, and then the sports teams do fundraisers.  Our school costs half of what the other private schools in the area do because they want to give an opportunity for Christian education for those that cannot afford it.  So those fundraisers actually pay quite a bit of teacher salary. ( which is very low)    So, if I want a choir uniform or t-shirt or for us to go to a festival, I would need to raise those funds somehow.  One idea someone mentioned that I could see was car washes at Chic-Fil-A.  However, you have to book months in advance. Anyway, just trying to brainstorm for next year.  I also HATE fundraising. 

Concert?   I would pay to go to show

Can you join an organization that helps schools and their arts programs? 

go fund me page

talk to companies in the are

Garage sale

• Like 1

So what would you suggest for my small choir at my private school?  

The choir should do what a choir does: sing.

Our small local jazz choir can be hired to sing at functions, parties, Christmas celebrations - they get paid to sing.

All choirs in our choral arts society put on a fundraiser concert. We sell tickets, and many patrons also donate in addition. (ETA: We partner with a local restaurant so we can make it dinner+show; restaurant lets us use their room and we pay them for the food.)

You could see if there are public performance opportunities for hire or for donations.

Musicians making music makes a lot more sense than musicians washing cars

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 13

Our youth chorus did a couple of unusual fundraisers.

One was a hike where people were asked to donate a per mile amount, similar to charity 10K's but not a race.

Another that was very successful was wrapping books at Barnes and Noble at Christmastime.  They couldn't charge for this, but the store let them set up a big table by the exit, and there was a large tip jar.  They made TONS of money that way.  

At our church, similarly, the youth group had a drop off day where you could drop off Christmas presents and they would wrap them for a fee for their conference trip.  Another successful fundraiser for them was taking orders for See's candy for Easter baskets, and bringing them in the week before Easter for people to pick up.  Also, they did a car wash where you drove to church, gave them your car to wash, and when church was over you picked up your clean car.  (They had a special service for the youth so they did not miss church.)  Our church is medium-small.

• Like 1

Is there nowhere you can cut?

I ask because this is what we ended up doing.....we sold BS popcorn for 3 years.  Each boy (I have 3) had to sell $300 each OR donate $100 per boy.   It stressed me out and gave me heart palpitations.  I hate selling.  My kids hated it too.

So I made a proposal to them.  We were in some financial straights back then, but we still budgeted $100 for eating out each month.  We couponed, went to free kids' meals days, shared meals, etc....and spent $25 per Sunday to eat out.

I proposed we stop eating out as much, save $25 per month, and at the end of the year, we would have the $300 needed to forgo popcorn sales.  

They JUMPED at the idea.  And we did that for the next 8 years, although our finances got better, we still put that $25 away each month.

This new scout troop does a BBQ.  It is a HUGE long deal with lots of hours involved, but a huge payoff.  I had planned to buy my son's entire obligation (I think it is 20 pounds per boy and I only have one now as the others Eagled out.)  

But we are now considering moving, so I don't know what we will do.  Can we eat 20 pounds of pork in 3 months?  Maybe I will plan a huge party......hey, there is an idea.

Dawn

So what would you suggest for my small choir at my private school? I am totally with a lot of you. But out of my 12 kids, about 5 are in need of financial assistance for anything extra. The school already does a couple of big fundraisers, and then the sports teams do fundraisers. Our school costs half of what the other private schools in the area do because they want to give an opportunity for Christian education for those that cannot afford it. So those fundraisers actually pay quite a bit of teacher salary. ( which is very low) So, if I want a choir uniform or t-shirt or for us to go to a festival, I would need to raise those funds somehow. One idea someone mentioned that I could see was car washes at Chic-Fil-A. However, you have to book months in advance. Anyway, just trying to brainstorm for next year. I also HATE fundraising.

Are your kids teens? Do you have a physical location you could use on a weekend or for a few days over the summer? One of the best fundraisers I've seen is for a high school aged group to do is to have a clinic or camp for younger kids-one was a cheer camp for K-3rd graders run by a high school cheer team and a few parents in the summer for 3 hours/day, where the girls learned some simple cheer routines, did a craft, and played games each day, and then did a "pep rally"for parents on Friday. The other was a clinic during Christmas shopping season, where the high school dance team took elementary aged kids for the day, taught them a dance routine, fed them pizza for lunch, played games, made banners, and then performed at halftime for a high school basketball game.

Both groups got local companies to donate to pay for t-shirts for the kids, with the sponsor names on them. For the day-long clinic, one of the sponsors was a pizza place, so I'm guessing their donation was a bunch of carry out pizzas.

In both cases, I think the rate came to about $10/hr per kid, basically, babysitting wages, but done in a large group. They got a lot of kids, so it seemed pretty lucrative.. My DD participated in both of these for several years, and adored them.

I imagine lots of such group babysitting activities would work. I'd have happily paid for a choir clinic, too.

• Like 1

Our robotics team is through 4 H but we do not get $ from 4 H to fund it.

We still also have to participate in 4 H fundraisers for the organization, but we don't get any of that money.

We do our own fundraisers for our team, but can use the non profit status & 4 H logo to advertise. All must be approved by 4H.

We wanted to raffle off a quilt donated to us, but 4 H doesn't allow "gambling" fundraisers or just asking for donations, so no Go fund me style campaigns.

They want the kids to work for the money by raking leaves, etc, but that doesn't raise the thousands of follars we need for robotics.

Ones we've done the last few years- (mind you, only a couple families help with any of these)

Annual garage sale during a neighborhood garage sale day (nets around $500), kids also sell baked goods & drinks during it (a lot of work & we collect stuff year round as donations to save for the sale)

Annual Car wash outside farm store ($300 ish, pretty good for a couple of hours!)

Collect soda cans for returning, ongoing

We once did a soda can collection/ spare change donation thing door to door, but was a lot of work for the $200ish.

Our best $ generating is from donations from local civic groups like Kiwanas & Rotary clubs. The kids give them a nice presentation about their robot & need for money to build & compete. They donate a few hundred every year.

We got a huge grant from a local agency 2 years also, that funded a computer & robot parts. That was awesome.

Each year, the 4 H organization debates if they'll let us " have" $ Donated by local groups. (Since they want the kids to earn it). IMO, giving a professional presentation or writing a grant application is working for it.

Our local Suzuki string orchestra wanted to go to Ireland last summer.  So, the entire year leading up to it, they would regularly meet and play outside the university theater, which doubles as the city's main live theater, violin cases open in front of them for donations.  They had a sign saying who they were and what they were trying to do.  They raised thousands and thousands of dollars!  I believe the trip costs $1500 each, and they raised enough for all 30-ish kids to go.  They had a wonderful time, and everyone was so proud of them to earn the money themselves, doing what they love to do.

How would your kids feel about doing this on a smaller scale, maybe with a few friends.  Work up a small repertoire of pieces, and stand in public and sing for donations. 

• Like 6

When we had a heavy snow, a family of several boys came around offering to shovel our walk. They ended up doing the whole driveway, too. I was very happy to pay them for that!

Now that the grass is growing, they are pushing a mower around on weekends and developing a very tidy business. I'm impressed by their hard work.

I haven't got a clue what they're using the money for, nor do I care, but it could probably fund some trips or extracurricular activities pretty easily.

I am always looking to hire teenagers to do our mowing.  We had a great couple of twins one summer. But they were no longer doing it the next year.  Its very hard to find kids willing to do lawnwork, is what I find. But I keep looking. We have a great teenage babysitter. Sometimes she's cheaper than the drop in place, sometimes she is more expensive. But she is always more convenient! And my kids loving having her come.  I also pay for car washes when I see groups of kids together doing that. (which doesn't happen much anymore)

I don't generally buy Girl Scout Cookies or Boy Scout Popcorn, but I'll offer a donation to the troop when I see them seated outside the grocery. 

Oh I'd pay good money to a teenager who sewed to put badges on AWANA vests!  (or scouting uniforms, if I were convinced they were careful and would put them in the right places)  I can do it but would love to support a youth and not need to do it myself.