Menu

I do not mop nearly enough

athomeontheprairie

I hate mopping. With a passion. I love clean floors, and am always happy when they get clean. But actually getting the mop? Moving the chairs (from the dining room table) and mopping the (small, combined) dining/kitchen area? Hate it.

I don't mind vacuuming, that is a daily chore. Sweeping, no problem! Mopping? I'd rather go clean a toilet.

Any chores you hate? And conversely, how often do YOU mop (kitchen/dining room)?

• Like 2

I just use a cheap spray mop and spot mop. It's not as clean as what I used to do, but I didn't have 4 kids then either. And our kitchen is huge. Mopping the floor with the floor mop machine (I forget what brand/type we have) took me well over an hour.

Ain't nobody got time for that with a newborn.

My mom has always mopped and waxed her floor regularly. I will never live up to that legacy. (Full confession: I will never come anywhere to be being as good at keeping a house clean as my mom. She cares about that stuff. I don't.)

I hate having to deal with the water bucket in traditional mopping.

So, my vice when it comes to environmentally friendly cleaning: Swiffer.

As easy as sweeping.

The one chore I despise is washing windows. 

Have you tried a steam mop?  Mine has washable pads.  I was skeptical, but it really works well (Shark). 

• Like 2

I only spot mop. Dh occasionally mops a room. This is the one chore for which I have considered getting help because mopping does a number on my back. If I get on my knees and hand scrub my back is better but geeez, when is there time (or inclination) for that?

I mop, usually, once a week.   I dislike it.  Our entire main level is open and we're about to replace the hideous carpet and kitchen linoleum with Luxury Vinyl Planks.  That will increase my mopping area by quite a bit.  However, one thing I hate more than mopping is steam cleaning the carpet, so I'm consoling myself with that.

I have hardwood floors. I am not going to ruin them with steam mop :)

I hate mopping and cleaning floors.  I bought a steam mop last year and have used it twice so far and did end up damaging a little bit of my wood floor with it when I kept it in one spot for too long messing with the cord.  My floors are sealed so I didn't think that could happen.  I am still going to use the steam mop, though (eventually) and just be more careful with it.

I hate dishes.

I don't mind mopping and love having a clean floor. That said, I probably do it once a month or so. No small kids, and the all the dirt from outside gets tracked on the carpeted stairs before getting to the kitchen. I have two mopping strategies. For deep cleaning I use a bucket of water with Armstrong Once 'n Done, a string mop and a wringer bucket. That takes me about 30 minutes to sweep, move chairs and trash and recycling cans and mop for about 289 sq ft. The other less intense method is a Rubbermaid Reveal spray mop with microfiber pads. Only takes 15 minutes or less

I have tile in my dining/kitchen and three children under four. I mop frequently. I LOVE my steam mop! Every mysterious food product dried into my grout disappears. I almost don't even mind using it.

In between steam mops, my newly four yo likes to wield the swifter wet mop. It's good enough for me.

Edited by HOPE_Academy

Mine are wood. We have a big dog who slobbers, sheds and tracks in dirt. My floors are filthy. All the time. I do steam clean them periodically because it's the easiest and fastest. I spot clean first and make a fast run through so the water doesn't lie there. No water damage so far. Although they are about 12 years old and scratched everywhere. That makes me sad.

I hate mopping. With a passion. I love clean floors, and am always happy when they get clean. But actually getting the mop? Moving the chairs (from the dining room table) and mopping the (small, combined) dining/kitchen area? Hate it.

I don't mind vacuuming, that is a daily chore. Sweeping, no problem! Mopping? I'd rather go clean a toilet.

Any chores you hate? And conversely, how often do YOU mop (kitchen/dining room)?

Yeah, I hate it, too.

I have all hardwood floors, and you shouldn't "mop" those. I vacuum (which I also hate) and spot-clean.

When I had sheet vinyl or tile that had to be waxed, I did that fairly regularly (including stripping and rewaxing once a year. So glad those days are over!), and I used a product especially made for waxed floors, maybe not every day, but several times a week.

I have hardwood floors. I am not going to ruin them with steam mop :)

That thought came to me after I wrote that.  I have half hardwood and half vinyl in the kitchen.  Sounds weird.  I am trying to ruin the hardwood because I hate the pattern.  I hate it and want to replace it.  I can't ruin it.  LOL  But yeah I wouldn't chance it either.

Edited by SparklyUnicorn

Those who own steam mops, I would love to hear more about them.  Does it take much time/trouble to get it set up and running?  Is there a lot of disassembly and clean-up after you use it?  We have tile in all the main areas of our home:  kitchen, dining, living, entry, hallway, bathrooms.  (Because we have three dogs!)  Sounds like a steam mop might make my life a little easier?

• Like 1

Those who own steam mops, I would love to hear more about them. Does it take much time/trouble to get it set up and running? Is there a lot of disassembly and clean-up after you use it? We have tile in all the main areas of our home: kitchen, dining, living, entry, hallway, bathrooms. (Because we have three dogs!) Sounds like a steam mop might make my life a little easier?

I have tile all downstairs (in the process of finishing the upstairs with tile now). I bought a steam mop, used it a few times and returned it. It left my floors streaky and took 3x longer than using my other mop (linked upthread).

You could try the steam mop, I bought mine at BB&B, they will take it back if you don't like it.

• Like 1

Those who own steam mops, I would love to hear more about them.  Does it take much time/trouble to get it set up and running?  Is there a lot of disassembly and clean-up after you use it?  We have tile in all the main areas of our home:  kitchen, dining, living, entry, hallway, bathrooms.  (Because we have three dogs!)  Sounds like a steam mop might make my life a little easier?

No it's so easy.  You fill the thing with water.  There is a cup and funnel.  You put the pad on (slips on or attaches similarly to the Swiffer pads..there is more than one type depending on the brand of mop).  You plug it in and it heats up in gee can't be more than a minute.  Then you mop.  After I unplug it and I hang it up on a hook to dry then take the pad off to wash.  I also bought a pad that slips over and has 2 sides.  So I use it more than once.  That's it really.  You don't use soap, but they do sell sprays if you like a scent or whatever. 

If you have very large rooms you may need to refill it more than once, but filling it isn't difficult. 

• Like 2

I don't mind the mopping, but I have yet to find a mop that I really like!  I am a big fan of the old-fashioned mop and a bucket of hot, sudsy water, but I never feel that the mop itself is really clean after the first time using it.   I've tried them all- and the ones that have the washable heads... I mean, then I'm putting all that crud into the washing machine and that is pretty disgusting as well.  So I've been using a Libman micro-fiber mop and replacing the head completely every once in a while.  It's not perfect but it's better than not mopping I guess. 

I really dislike swiffer wet.  Gah, that smell! It lingers for SO long.

I have a small space that I need to mop, so it definitely doesn't make sense to look at a heavy duty machine to do the work for me.

I dislike mopping almost as much as I hate scrubbing the shower/tub.  Now THAT is s chore I put off as long as possible. (And longer than I should, but...)

I admit my DH does most of the mopping.  :001_tt1:  :blushing:

I'd rather clean a toilet, too. I should definitely add mopping to the chore list. What a great idea. I still have *years* of kids available to do that chore.  :Angel_anim:

I have tile all downstairs (in the process of finishing the upstairs with tile now). I bought a steam mop, used it a few times and returned it. It left my floors streaky and took 3x longer than using my other mop (linked upthread).

You could try the steam mop, I bought mine at BB&B, they will take it back if you don't like it.

I've tried steam mops a couple of times and have been underwhelmed. They are messy and "spitty."

I've tried to keep a floor sponge on hand to wipe up spills right away. Then I can go longer between moppings. I don't have a dog, cat or little kids anymore, though, so my level of maintenance is usually sufficient here.

*I* never mop.  My kids mop about once every 4-6 weeks and whenever we have company.  We vacuum 5+ times per week.

I think scrubbing our tub is the most annoying, because it's literal scrubbing and I'm a lazy little thing.

Maybe you could try getting an all-surface wet vac?  I'm toying with that idea myself, but it's $$ I don't want to spend at the moment (because I'm busy funding my chickens at $38/egg  :lol: ).  I think that's the perfect solution for our floors, though, whenever I get around to it.  We have laminate and tile in all but one room.

I hate mopping, but most of my house is either hardwood or tile. I use the Rubbermaid Reveal, switching out the pad as it gets dirty while I move through the house. I throw them in the wash with my other cleaning cloths.

So you just add your own fluid with this? Like water or vinegar water?

I tried some of those premoistened cleansing pads for the bathrooms but as someone said upthread, the cloying aroma was sickening.

So you just add your own fluid with this? Like water or vinegar water?

I tried some of those premoistened cleansing pads for the bathrooms but as someone said upthread, the cloying aroma was sickening.

I just use water, but you can use vinegar/water. Once a year, I'll deep clean the floors with rags and a bucket of soapy water, but spot cleaning and weekly mopping keep the floors decent.

• Like 1

I'm decent when it comes to floors, but absolutely neglectful when it comes to windows. 

Any tips?

I really can't stand chemical smells, though  :ack2:

Add 1/2 cup ammonia and 1/2 cup baking soda to a half-filled bucket of water.  (The baking soda neutralizes the smell of the ammonia).  

OR

Add 1/2 cup vinegar and 1 tsp. Dawn dishwashing liquid to half-bucket of water.

In both cases, wear rubber gloves.  Wash the window with a sponge or washcloth.  Dry with newspapers.  

(Blank newsprint paper is cleaner, if you have it.  Check your local newspaper for their end rolls.  They'll frequently give them away.)

• Like 1