Menu

food on planes - help please

EmilyGF

Hi everyone,

I'm taking a nearly 12-hour plane trip with 5 kids (!!!) this weekend. Now, we could afford these tickets because we the airline is very bare bones. However, there is no (or nearly no) free food service on the flight.

Help me figure out what to pack, please! The ages range from 1 to 12 and no one is picky. But I know if we all eat snacks all day long we'll feel cr*ppy. The flight is overnight, so we'll eat a good dinner before we board. We have one layover but it is supposed to be super short, so I don't want to plan on buying anything in the airport.

Thanks for your help,

Emily

• Like 1

Sandwiches or wraps? Cliff bars? Bagels? Granola? Dried fruit leathers? Raisins/etc? 

You can buy stuff at the airport before you take off, too, if you want liquid-y things that might get taken away by security. They often sell hummus & pretzel things that are pretty tasty and not junky enough to make me feel gross. You'll pay 2-3x whatever seems reasonable, but that's sort of a cost of travel for this sort of thing . . . 

If you eat a big dinner before you load, you shouldn't really need another full meal until you get off the plane!

You will probably have enough time on the layover to grab something from a vendor to take on the next flight . . . 

Sandwiches with lunch meat, lettuce, etc. and sides of whole pieces of fruit and nuts.  And if I'm traveling with 5 kids, I'm going to need some M and M's. 

ETA: And an empty water bottle for each kid, to be filled up after you go through security and to be refilled on the plane. 

Edited by Annie G
  • Like 2

I put cheese cubes and grapes in plastic canning jars.  Because the flight is overnight, I would probably want something breakfasty to have in the morning close to landing (or once we landed as getting bags, getting to destination, etc. can mean it is a while before food is available once you land).  Perhaps dry cereal--you could probably get milk.  When the kids were little I traveled with the individual oatmeal packets and a few small bowls; even on the flight I could usually get hot water.

• Like 2

What do you normally eat? Wrap whatever they like in disposable packaging and toss as you go along (or save it if you prefer and have room).

My teen is a monster eater so on long flights I take a string bag full of healthy, filling food. Sandwiches and wraps pack well, pasta salads, cheese and crackers, jerkey if you eat meat, individual tuna packets with Wasa crackers, nuts for off the plane...we've taken leftovers like enchiladas or whatever. Snack food just doesn't cut it for us, so I just package up whatever we would normally have.

For breakfast you could take egg muffins and waffles with individual spreads (make the waffles the day before). They'll be the envy of the plane. :)

• Like 3

Old pro at long flights with lots of kids here.  :-)  

Think salty.  We all know it's easy to get dehydrated on a flight, so we need to drink a lot.  But if you aren't taking in salt as well, it just goes right through you.  So I'd pack snack bags of chips (or cans of pringles if you're worried they'll get smashed) for each kid, one for early in the flight, one for midway.  After that, whatever your normal picnic foods are, though I try to travel as lightly and compactly as possible.  I'd probably do sub sandwiches for the big kids plus whatever the baby is able to eat.  I'd bring at least some kind of finger food for the baby (cheerios, puffs, etc) as that gets mileage both as a snack and as an activity on board.  

Lollipops are my emergency treat.  I always have lollipops on me.  They are superior to other candies in their duration-of-pleasure-to-sugar-rush ratio.  These work well when you are delayed before ever leaving, for that 15 minutes after landing but before you can get off the plane, and for the descent when they might (gasp) make you turn off electronic devices.  

Keep the sugar as low as you can.  Make everyone go to sleep at some point.  Mine are usually ready about 2 hours after their usual bedtime, but that length of delay is shorter in the younger kids.  

I agree with you to eat according to when you'd be naturally hungry.  So don't offer snacks during the "night" unless desperate.  The is not the best way to get over jet-lag, but it is the best way to fly with small children.  

(The best way to get over jet lag is to fast for about 16 hours, aka the flight, then immediately begin eating according to local schedule at destination.  Hahahaha, I can just imagine my kids faces when I announce that we're fasting...)

• Like 2

Just be aware, in my experience and some friends recently, any spreads on the wrap/sandwich (PB, nutella, tuna salad, egg salad), or pastes (like those tuna salad pouches, PB squeeze pouches, applesauce pouches, pudding cups) may be confiscated. 

One friend got around this by packing PB pouches (all labeled with size) in a ziploc as their "liquids" and then got a large plastic storage container and put crackers, plastic spoons in that and put it in the bottom of her carry on.

• Like 2

Bring finger foods for the littles in case you need a distraction for a fussy toddler/small child. A bag of cheerios can save the day and make you much mor popular with other passengers on the plane.

Bring breakfast. Nothing is worse than hungry kids and delayed flights that mean no food in the morning.

Just be aware, in my experience and some friends recently, any spreads on the wrap/sandwich (PB, nutella, tuna salad, egg salad), or pastes (like those tuna salad pouches, PB squeeze pouches, applesauce pouches, pudding cups) may be confiscated. 

One friend got around this by packing PB pouches (all labeled with size) in a ziploc as their "liquids" and then got a large plastic storage container and put crackers, plastic spoons in that and put it in the bottom of her carry on.

Really?  That's good to know because I assumed a pbj sandwich would be safe.  What a pain!

Try not to do tuna. Not pleasant to smell when you are trapped in a confined space, lol.

We always bring snacky things like crackers, goldfish, a little candy, beef jerky, nuts, etc.

eh...I brought tuna

I was on an Icelandic airline though and they served extremely strong smelling fish.  It stunk up the entire plane.  The tuna wasn't a problem.  LOL

• Like 5

Please do not bring nuts (or peanut butter) - I read about a young girl who almost died because a man refused to not open his nuts. Just breathing it in put her into shock :(  Its sad!

Here is the link: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2724684/Nut-allergy-girl-went-anaphylactic-shock-plane-passenger-ignored-three-warnings-not-eat-nuts-board.html

Edited by mamaofgirls

Hmm why would this be a problem if you are following the guide lines?  We bring this stuff all the time.  Put in the ziploc bag that they tell you and have the small sizes that they require. 

One bag per person taken out at security. 

Also we have made lots of pbj sandwiches and brought them just in our bags.  No trouble

• Like 1

Hmm why would this be a problem if you are following the guide lines?  We bring this stuff all the time.  Put in the ziploc bag that they tell you and have the small sizes that they require. 

Also we have made lots of pbj sandwiches and brought them just in our bags.  No trouble

Not sure if you read my post, we posted around the same time - but peanut butter can kill some people.

Protein bars.  Breakfast bars.  Protein drinks.  If you can eat them first, hardboiled eggs.  And I always eat "on the ground" before takeoff.  Even if it is more money.  I'm allergic to so many things that it is very unlikely I will get something to eat, even when there IS meal service, so I always take on some ballast before takeoff.  

If there is a Wendy's at the airport, I buy a chili to take aboard.  My dh gets a couple of burgers.  

You can usually take EMPTY water bottles through security.  Then fill the bottles with water in the water fountain past security to avoid paying $5 for a bottle of water.  If your children are used to drinking Gatorade or some other beverage, take powder packets on the flight to add to water bottles.

When my children were young, I always traveled with sippy cups--even way beyond the age of when we used them at home.  Asking the flight attendant to pour beverages into the sippy cup instead of the little plastic cups used on the plane prevented many spills when turbulence hit.  I also prefer to pack snacks in a sturdy container rather than ziplock bags to prevent crushing at the bottom of a bag.  I have found the plastic ball canning jars are a nice size.  They can be used for a bowl or a cup in a pinch.  They also fit nicely in the drink holders of rental cars. 

I do pack extra ziplock bags that come in handy for a number of reasons--putting that half-eaten sandwich in it, pouring the trail mix we end up buying at the airport in, etc.  Lots of baby wipes for sticky fingers, spills, etc.  (I have heard of these being confiscated at security if they are not within your allowed quart size bag but I have never had this happen)

Also, make sure that every traveler has a change of clothes in the carry on.  I try to pack the lightest weight, compact outfit for each person in a ziplock bag.  It was important that I have a change of clothes--my kids rarely spilled things or vomited on themselves--it always landed on me. 

• Like 1

Hi everyone,

I'm taking a nearly 12-hour plane trip with 5 kids (!!!) this weekend. Now, we could afford these tickets because we the airline is very bare bones. However, there is no (or nearly no) free food service on the flight.

Help me figure out what to pack, please! The ages range from 1 to 12 and no one is picky. But I know if we all eat snacks all day long we'll feel cr*ppy. The flight is overnight, so we'll eat a good dinner before we board. We have one layover but it is supposed to be super short, so I don't want to plan on buying anything in the airport.

Thanks for your help,

Emily

Sausage, cheese, and crackers would make a filling meal, be easy to carry, and eats cold.

I just flew from DC to Oregon this past weekend for a funeral, so not anywhere near as long as you.  I packed a ziploc baggie of rotisserie chicken (just the meat, no bone!), a baggie of raw veggies, and one of those mini guacamole tubs you can get a ton of at Costco, plus some oranges.  No one batted an eye at the guac.  I've packed sandwiches many times before for flights too.  I didn't think they worried about the spreads if they were already on a sandwich?

On my way back, my flights were all messed up because of all the rain in CA, and I ended up getting switched to an earlier flight somewhere else.  I didn't have time to grab dinner like I had planned, so I was very thankful I still had some cheese sticks and an orange packed for the way home!

• Like 1

When we had a longer flight, I packed a gallon size ziploc baggie full of snack items for each member of my family. You could have them each carry their own baggie in their carry on bag, but my kids were little, and I wanted to portion out the snacks. I took a reusable grocery bag with the bags of snacks in it. Once we ate the snacks, I folded up the bag and stashed it inside my carry on luggage.

To get around the possibility of confiscation, I bought Uncrustable peanut butter sandwiches, which were factory sealed. I also bought individual packages of apples, carrots, and chips. I had some kind of dessert item in there (cookies, maybe), and other individual snacks that my children enjoyed, like packages of cheese and crackers. Lollipops are a good idea, because they last for a long time. Gum and gummies. Cheese sticks.

Just don't do what I did on our trip last summer. I spent time and money to pack everything up, then left that bag in the car when we boarded the plane. We had to do without our snacks on the plane and had some stinky food to get rid of a week later when we returned.

I always make quesadillas and take nuts and apples/bananas.

WOW, you got Quesadillas on a flight??? I never tried because of the melted cheese. Hmm, might try next time.

Really?  That's good to know because I assumed a pbj sandwich would be safe.  What a pain!

You'd think right? Maybe you would be safe, seems some here have had no problems with premade sandwiches. 

Yes, if you review my post, no premade sandwiches. I know one who got by with the little packets, but not sure about the tuna packets, they might be too big.

I just flew from DC to Oregon this past weekend for a funeral, so not anywhere near as long as you.  I packed a ziploc baggie of rotisserie chicken (just the meat, no bone!), a baggie of raw veggies, and one of those mini guacamole tubs you can get a ton of at Costco, plus some oranges.  No one batted an eye at the guac.  I've packed sandwiches many times before for flights too.  I didn't think they worried about the spreads if they were already on a sandwich?

On my way back, my flights were all messed up because of all the rain in CA, and I ended up getting switched to an earlier flight somewhere else.  I didn't have time to grab dinner like I had planned, so I was very thankful I still had some cheese sticks and an orange packed for the way home!

I am amazed you got the guac by.

But it seems it may have been more of cases of profiling then anything based on what you all have reported. I guess as long as you are not a hijab wearing momma with littles or have a "foreign sounding name", you'll be fine. :glare:

• Like 2

I've brought cold pizza wrapped in foil.  That works out pretty well.  Never did a flight quite that long. Longest was 8 hours.  I always end up bringing way more than we end up eating.  There have been instance where I thought we'd have time to get food and didn't.

The food they sold on the flight we took was mostly junk.  You can easily manage junk (think mini cans of Pringles that cost more than full size cans).  Ya know?  Way less expensive if you just bring your own!  So even if it is kinda just snacky stuff, that works.

WOW, you got Quesadillas on a flight??? I never tried because of the melted cheese. Hmm, might try next time.

You'd think right? Maybe you would be safe, seems some here have had no problems with premade sandwiches. 

Yes, if you review my post, no premade sandwiches. I know one who got by with the little packets, but not sure about the tuna packets, they might be too big.

I am amazed you got the guac by.

But it seems it may have been more of cases of profiling then anything based on what you all have reported. I guess as long as you are not a hijab wearing momma with littles or have a "foreign sounding name", you'll be fine. :glare:

It could also just be the line you go through.  Dh used to travel for work and was on multiple flights per week,and sometimes multiple locations in one day. So locations were super strict about the rules, others didn't even check his items.  It varies wildly depending on the airport and the person doing the screening.  He is a white business man, traveling alone, in nice dress clothes, with a typical name, so the people who did take stuff, weren't profiling him.  He knew when he was pushing the limits and usually avoided it, but when you need to eat on a plane, multiple times per day/week, sometimes you try to bend the rules a bit. 

I can't think of who it is but there's a comedian with a great bit about someone who brought pancakes on a flight.

Eta. Oh i bet it was Dane Cook or similar. One of the 2003 arena show type guys.

Edited by OKBud

In general, one should not eat a lot or drink a lot (except for pure water) on flights aboard civil turbojet aircraft. I would be more concerned with "Jet lag",after you arrive at your destination. Enjoy your vacation!

Maybe but never in a hundred years would I try to convince little boys on that score. Sitting=eating, the end. as far as they're concerned!

I found they were pretty generous with what food/drink they allow for young kids. With a two and three yr old they let me bring through sippies with milk. I wasn't really expecting it, but the kids didn't drink as much as I expected. Security didn't bat an eye. If I were travelling with ones that age again, I'd bring a couple of shelf stable milks a piece and know that I may have to leave them behind. (Our family doesn't fit the profile for extra scrutiny)

But it isn't banned from the planes to my knowledge is it?

Sometimes there is an announcement if there is someone highly allergic on the flight and it's banned by the crew, I guess. The announcement was pretty clear. Yes, this happened on our last international fight.....

I think people don't take peanut butter on planes because they don't want to throw anyone into anaphylaxis.

Yeah, it is too common an allergen to risk someone's life over. Not as if the affected person can get up and leave the plane now, is it?

Edited by JFSinIL