Menu

Bad news from doctor, but much to be thankful for today!

*I'm thankful that I let my dh study French (his choice) instead of Spanish as I had wanted.

*I'm thankful that we went to a French bakery a few weeks ago for a taste of French culture.

*I'm thankful that dh overindulged on buttery French baked goods and had a huge gallbladder attack later that night.

*I'm thankful that the doctor wasn't satisfied with the ultrasound of dh's gallbladder and ordered an MRI. (Besides gallstones, the MRI also showed something on his kidney which needed to be followed up with a CT scan.)

*I would have been very thankful to hear the word "benign" today, but I've found that you're also very thankful to hear things like "very small", "hasn't spread", "very treatable" when you hear "cancer".

*I'm thankful for "the peace of God which transcends all understanding" because we haven't fallen apart!

*And I'm very thankful for all your prayers! Please keep dh on your list for a little while longer:

Dh has never been a smoker so we never imagined that he'd be at risk for kidney cancer, but that's what it is. He'll need to have his kidney removed , but the urologist told him that they can take his gallbladder at the same time. Both can be done with small incisions/laparascopic surgery so the recovery should be a bit easier.

Thank you so much for your prayers, friends. :)

*I'm thankful that I let my dh study French (his choice) instead of Spanish as I had wanted.

*I'm thankful that we went to a French bakery a few weeks ago for a taste of French culture.

*I'm thankful that dh overindulged on buttery French baked goods and had a huge gallbladder attack later that night.

*I'm thankful that the doctor wasn't satisfied with the ultrasound of dh's gallbladder and ordered an MRI. (Besides gallstones, the MRI also showed something on his kidney which needed to be followed up with a CT scan.)

*I would have been very thankful to hear the word "benign" today, but I've found that you're also very thankful to hear things like "very small", "hasn't spread", "very treatable" when you hear "cancer".

*I'm thankful for "the peace of God which transcends all understanding" because we haven't fallen apart!

*And I'm very thankful for all your prayers! Please keep dh on your list for a little while longer:

Dh has never been a smoker so we never imagined that he'd be at risk for kidney cancer, but that's what it is. He'll need to have his kidney removed , but the urologist told him that they can take his gallbladder at the same time. Both can be done with small incisions/laparascopic surgery so the recovery should be a bit easier.

Oh, wow. Very small is very good. I'm so glad for your blessings in the midst of this storm.

{{{Laurie}}}

Hang in there, Laurie. This isn't all that uncommon, believe it or not. Dh's dad found out he had kidney cancer just like your dh...went in for a scan related to gall bladder and they noticed something small on the kidney. Like your dh, he was told he had cancer and had to have the kidney removed. He's just fine now, and it's been almost 10 years. I'll keep your family in my prayers.

Ria

[quote name=Laurie;605424Dh has never been a smoker so we never imagined that he'd be at risk for kidney cancer' date=' but that's what it is. He'll need to have his kidney removed , but the urologist told him that they can take his gallbladder at the same time. Both can be done with small incisions/laparascopic surgery so the recovery should be a bit easier.

/quote]

I've had both my gallbladder and one kidney removed(at different times). Gb because of stones, kidney because of living donation (my sister has kidney failure). Both were laproscopic. Recovery is much quicker and less painful that way.

Blessings and prayers to you both. :grouphug:

Praying for you and your dh and lots more of that peace that transcends!

I can see why you are thankful. It's good they found it early.

My dad went in to the ER early this year for pain and vomiting. He never goes to doctors. In trying to discover what was wrong, they found both appendicitis and kidney cancer. They removed the appendix right away and referred to the urologist for the cancer. The kidney removal was fairly simple...laproscopic and one night in the hospital with a 4 week recovery at home.

One thing to be on the lookout for...my dad didn't recovery as expected and ended up with a third surgery to fix a hernia. He was warned that that could happen. All is well now, though.

I'll pray for you guys.

for 15 years now. Please make sure that you get the best medical help you can afford and the tests are thorough and accurate. You will need to be your husband's advocate.

My sister has never been a smoker either. In fact, when she rec'd this news 15 years ago, she was 41. Her doctor told her she did not fit the profile for one with kidney cancer.....usually it is older males. Usually, but there are others as well.

When your husband receives treatments please make sure you and/or another family member/s take shifts to help. Hospitals are short with help and so it leaves the nurse/patient ratio with a broad gap. He'll appreciate it and you'll feel more comfortable knowing you're helping him out. HTH.

God's blessings to all of you!

Oh, Laurie, you blessed me so much with your post! May God continue bathe you in His grace as He goes through this journey w/ your family. May the doctors be given infinite wisdom regarding dh's care. May dh be healed and held up by the grace of our Faithful Father. Praying here, Laurie. Thanks so much for your post. Keep us updated so we can pray!

Your family is in my prayers. I am glad the Drs. were able to catch your DH's cancer in the early stage. Are they planning on doing a PET scan prior to removing the kidney just to be certain the cancer is no where else? Cancer is such a scary thing as there is no one reason why one person gets it and another does not. You seem to be taking the news very well. Unfortunately, our family has also been touched by cancer and it has been a whirlwind of emotions. The most important thing I have learned over the years is never give up hope. I pray your husband has a safe surgery and an uneventful recovery.

Only without the pastries. :001_smile: He went in for something else, ended up with an MRI, the MRI showed something small and suspicious on his kidney, and the followup showed it was growing. He had that kidney removed a week later and he has been completely fine ever since.

I'm glad they're going with the laparoscopic incision. It is much MUCH faster to recover from. My dad had a "flank" incision because that's what they did at the hospital where he was seen (and they were concerned enough that there was no waiting or "shopping around" for another option). It wasn't terrible, but it was a long time before he was back to 100%. The laparoscopic procedures are significantly easier.

:grouphug:

I can't even begin to tell you how much all your prayers, encouraging words, and advice mean to me. :grouphug:

I turned on the tv earlier this evening and heard Clifton Davis (Anyone remember him from the old tv show "Amen"?) singing a beautiful song that he's just written called "Strength for the Journey". Perfect timing!