Menu

UPDATE post 118 Help me make hospital and NICU as good as possible

happypamama

Praying for your little guy. Everyone says the NICU is a rollercoaster and it's true. My micro preemie spent 70 days there. The first month is the roughest--but before you know it the ups and downs will be about feeding not fighting. Take comfort in the amazing resilience these littles have been designed with. Prepare to be amazed. There are terrible lows but then they bounce back. We also were amazed by the precision of medical care. So many labs, tweaking of this or that setting, but it works--not immediately, but the balancing act usually works well in the end.

Also, my sister gave me a set of questions intended for natural birth by they ended up fantastic for navigating the NICU whenever a procedure was broached to us.

TBRAINS

T is there time to talk?

B benefits, what are they?

R risks

A alternatives

I Instinct (what is yours as a mom)

N nothing what if we do nothing

S smile (chin up keep your attitude)

We ended up going with procedures when they were recommended but the question process helped us to learn a lot and be more engaged in dialogue about our baby's care.

• Like 10

They discharged me today with BP meds and instructions to see them early next week. Baby boy is having a good day, and that makes it easier to leave him. He's in good hands.

I can't believe the amount of compassion that spills out of all the nurses, doctors, and everyone. They've seen lots of babies and moms go through this, as yet, every one treated me as if I was the most important mother they'd ever met. Words fail me when explaining how much that means to me.

• Like 43

Thank you for all the prayers! They worked! Little Nathaniel (we finally named him -- I told them they could call him that or "Nate") got the miracle he needed! He has improved since last night. Last night, they said they were pulling out all the stops but that's all they had. Today, the doctor says they have breathing room. One small step, one hour at a time. But we prayed, hard, and at least for now, God spared his life. Such a miracle!

Hurray! We'll be able to pray for him by name tonight (you picked one of my favorites).

• Like 2

I'm glad you're discharged. I hope you have transport arranged for all your visits. It may be hard to sit in NICU all day. Get some kindle books, podcasts, Netflix shows, whatever. Some moms like to stay all day, going back and forth to the pump room or cafeteria. Some moms come in the morning or evenings. I was in too much pain to sit there all day so I usually would spend some time there when possible but not all day.

Have relatives focus on giving attention to your other kids and housekeeping so that's taken care of.

Hoping you all have a peaceful Christmas!

• Like 4

Keep praying. It's day three. Day three is hard on everyone. His honeymoon time is over, and they telling me he has challenges. Yeah, I know. My hormones are crashing. The cure for day three is to go to bed with a snuggly newborn, and I don't have that. Mine is fighting for his life in a plastic box.

Love to you both. We had a doctor just tell us our baby had low brain activity and we didn't know the extent of his brain damage and I about lost it. I think I've cried a dozen times in the last 24 hours, which is more than I've cried in all my other births put together. The Christmas holiday is just making the contrast feel even worse - it's like the most surreal time warp.

We are praying for you and your little little right along with our own. I wish neither of them had to fight through so much :(

Love to you both. We had a doctor just tell us our baby had low brain activity and we didn't know the extent of his brain damage and I about lost it. I think I've cried a dozen times in the last 24 hours, which is more than I've cried in all my other births put together. The Christmas holiday is just making the contrast feel even worse - it's like the most surreal time warp.

We are praying for you and your little little right along with our own. I wish neither of them had to fight through so much :(

Oh mama I'm so sorry. I'm praying for your little guy too. (((HUGS)))

Arctic Mama,

You and your little one are in our prayers. I have an extra-special soft spot for baby boys with special needs.  :wub:

happypamama,

We've been praying for your little one. So relieved to hear he's doing better. Love the name! Will continue to keep all of you in our prayers. 

samba

• Like 2

Quick mamas -- I forgot to ask them this. We have well water with a heavy mineral count (but safely drinkable -- i guzzle it down) and we also have a softener for the hot water. I'm supposed to wash the pump parts. Is our water okay for washing the parts???

If it's potable and doesn't have anything dangerous like arsenic I wouldn't worry, but a call into the NICU should be able to get you an answer quickly.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

I've been thinking so much about your little fellow.

You should sterilize them between pumps tho. We ended up getting 3 sets bc of the frequent pumping and I ran them through the dishwasher in toddler toy baskets. Rinse again afterwards then sterilize. Multiple sets were my saving grace.

Yes, I have three sets. One stays up at the nicu in his drawer, to use with their hospital grade pumps. The other two I keep at home. Once he starts being able to handle more care from me and I spend more time up there, I might get another set of parts so I can keep two there. I've got a good double electric for home, but I'm also looking into how to rent a hospital grade for home as well since it's way more efficient and comfortable.

They told me to wash after use and to sterilize in the little microwave bags once a day.

I never thought I'd be so happy about such small amounts of liquid. I just got about 23 mL total between the pump and a little hand expression at the end. It looks so pitiful, and yet, it's it's three days' worth at this point, and that's just one out of seven sessions today. I didn't get to put a first Christmas shirt on him or buy him a special gift or ornament, but I am giving him this gift to the best of my ability.

His nurse the other night put his teeny footprints on an ornament that says "first Christmas" and left it for us, with a note saying that she'd be back tonight and that she also signed up for his care team (not sure how that works -- do they request certain babies?). She also took and printed some good pictures of him for us. I cried. I've heard that nicu nurses are special people, but these little touches make so much difference.

Let me see if I can upload a picture of him holding my finger. (And I have short fingers for an adult.)

• Like 19

Hooray for 23!! Remember at this point pumping is more about sending your brain the signal to produce, so don't sweat the amount. Just religiously hook up every 3 hours. Go hands free and watch tv or surf net to kill the time and get your mind on other things. When I was in your shoes I felt so helpless and pumping was the one thing I could do to help.

One thing they did is put some of my milk in a centrifuge and did a calorie count. The calorie count and my milk was a lot higher than the standard calorie count for full term milk. When you deliver preterm, your milk is higher in calories and certain nutrients preemies need. So amazing!! Keep up the good work. It does make a difference.

Definitely get a hospital grade for home. Your insurance should help so have someone get on the phone. I used a medela symphony and it was excellent. Insurance covered the rental while my daughter was hospitalized. I ended up buying one used later on eBay and then selling it several years later. If you go that route, just be sure to get the serial number before you bid and call medela with it to check and make sure it wasn't stolen. If stolen they won't service it for you.

Edited by kathkath
  • Like 1

I remember how disheartening it can be to get such small amounts of breakmilk. Keep at it! Your body will take time to respond. You had a major surgery, pregnancy complications, a preemie baby, and all this is difficult for the body to just produce milk. Frequency is key (at least 8 times in 24 hrs), plus a hospital pump. Some women need one to make milk. Even the best pumps are not as good as a (term) baby. Even if insurance won't cover the cost immediately, call tomorrow to rent one for a month while insurance is being sorted, scripts and approvals are going through. The early days are the most important to get your supply going. The Lactation consultants at the hospital can frequently help move things along. They may not work weekends but tomorrow they should be there. They can let you know if the hospital rents, supply companies near you, etc. Remember to drink a cup of water every time you pump or so.

• Like 3

Yes, I have three sets. One stays up at the nicu in his drawer, to use with their hospital grade pumps. The other two I keep at home. Once he starts being able to handle more care from me and I spend more time up there, I might get another set of parts so I can keep two there. I've got a good double electric for home, but I'm also looking into how to rent a hospital grade for home as well since it's way more efficient and comfortable.

They told me to wash after use and to sterilize in the little microwave bags once a day.

I never thought I'd be so happy about such small amounts of liquid. I just got about 23 mL total between the pump and a little hand expression at the end. It looks so pitiful, and yet, it's it's three days' worth at this point, and that's just one out of seven sessions today. I didn't get to put a first Christmas shirt on him or buy him a special gift or ornament, but I am giving him this gift to the best of my ability.

His nurse the other night put his teeny footprints on an ornament that says "first Christmas" and left it for us, with a note saying that she'd be back tonight and that she also signed up for his care team (not sure how that works -- do they request certain babies?). She also took and printed some good pictures of him for us. I cried. I've heard that nicu nurses are special people, but these little touches make so much difference.

Let me see if I can upload a picture of him holding my finger. (And I have short fingers for an adult.)

The gift of mommy's milk is the sweetest thing you could give him!  Well done!  

I know I don't know you, but I've been thinking and praying for you and your little fighter at least every hour since I read your first post.  I truly appreciate that you are taking the time to update us from time to time... you must be exhausted!  But whether you update or not, just know that there are quite possibly THOUSANDS of us rooting for your family right now!!!  

• Like 14

Yes, at our NICU, nurses could request to work with certain babies (and parents could request certain nurses.)

Continuing to pray!

Some nurses may have been on staff at or immediately after delivery. Some like to have certain ages, some bond with certain families. It's easier for nurses and patients to be kept as similar as possible. The history is known, they understand what is needed, they have experience with the patient and get to know him better.

• Like 1

Some nurses may have been on staff at or immediately after delivery. Some like to have certain ages, some bond with certain families. It's easier for nurses and patients to be kept as similar as possible. The history is known, they understand what is needed, they have experience with the patient and get to know him better.

Okay, that makes sense and makes me feel good. I felt like I really clicked with the one nurse immediately; she just knew right what I needed at that moment. So to hear that she wants to care for him too makes my day. I like that they'll try to have fairly consistent caregivers for him. So far, he's had five nurses, and it's a little weird that I spoke with the one last night but haven't met her.

It is kind of crazy how fast they get all coordinated. The night he was born, they weren't even expecting him. Truly, L&D was keeping us in a labor room so they could keep continual monitoring on us (whereas last weekend I was in the other women's health wing where they only did intermittent monitoring), but they weren't expecting delivery at all, or at least that's what the OB who did the surgery said. And then when things went bad, it was probably three minutes or even fewer before I was under, but in that time, they dumped betadine on me and wheeled me down the hall, and as they were moving me onto the operating table and giving the meds to put me under, I was asking if nicu was there from four floors up. "NICU's here," came a voice from the back. And then an hour later it was over, and he was getting settled in the nicu. I'm sorry I didn't get to witness exactly how fast everyone moved to get nicu down there so fast.

• Like 11

I remember how disheartening it can be to get such small amounts of breakmilk. Keep at it! Your body will take time to respond. You had a major surgery, pregnancy complications, a preemie baby, and all this is difficult for the body to just produce milk. Frequency is key (at least 8 times in 24 hrs), plus a hospital pump. Some women need one to make milk. Even the best pumps are not as good as a (term) baby. Even if insurance won't cover the cost immediately, call tomorrow to rent one for a month while insurance is being sorted, scripts and approvals are going through. The early days are the most important to get your supply going. The Lactation consultants at the hospital can frequently help move things along. They may not work weekends but tomorrow they should be there. They can let you know if the hospital rents, supply companies near you, etc. Remember to drink a cup of water every time you pump or so.

Thank you! I'm drinking like crazy. I've got two 34 ounce straw bottles that they gave me, and i just keep them filled all the time. The lactation consultants have been very helpful so far, but I may see one this week when we're up there now that I have a little pumping experience. They did say that the first two weeks are the most crucial, so I've managed 8 times a day (every 2-3 hours and one 4-5 hour stretch at night, per their directions) after the first couple of days.

They did say the full milk supply could take several days because of the complications. I do seem to have real milk but I haven't hit engorgement or oversupply. Don't know if it will or not, but I'm doing my best.

Edited by happypamama
  • Like 8