Menu

IF we get another dog...breed? UPDATE #142

ktgrok

I'm indecisive because I'm pregnant, lol. And because after 20 years in the veterinary field I know the down sides of every breed, lol. I don't see a cute dog when I see golden retriever, I see ear infections and hot spots. Sigh. 

So, any suggestions? We will almost definitely go with a rescue, so this may be a moot questions, but even in rescue there are breed rescues, plus even if a mixed breed, it helps to have an idea. 

Normally we like big dogs. But....as I age a medium sized dog has it's perks. Being able to lift them into a car if injured, etc. But medium to large, most likely. Not giant breed...they live such short lives, and meds and such are very expensive. So....larger spaniel to labrador/shepherd size. 

I'm really over all the darned hair in my house, and adding another dog means adding more hair. But the border collie hair is over the top. Giant tumbleweeds. I think I deal with short haired shedding better. And it's certainly easier on my vacuum...the border collie hair has actually killed a few vacuum brushes in my house, clogged hoses, etc. So temperament is more important, but I'll admit, hair and I are having issues, lol.

My dog that shed the least was my weimaraner, but we can't handle a weimaraner right now I don't think. They are intense dogs, and I've got another kid on the way. A weimaraner will be my retirement dog, lol. Which means I'm looking for a more mellow dog, which isn't normal for me. Dog trainers tend to go for super smart, very intense dogs. But that's not realistic right now. 

We need sweet tempered, able to tolerate noise and chaos, sturdy, etc. My friend was over with her golden doodle and although I often dislike that breed due to hyper tendencies, this one was amazing. For half a minute I considered actually buying a dog from a breeder, but yeah, I'm not paying $1,500 for a dog when our shelters and rescues are FULL of dogs that need homes, of every breed and size. And DH wouldn't go for that either. 

Not sure there is a good answer here, other than just evaluating the puppies on an individual basis. And we would do a puppy, I think my older dog will adapt easier to a puppy than an adult dog. 

Edited by ktgrok
  • Like 3

We adopted a mixed breed but mostly Great Pyrhenees last fall. I didn't want a dog that shed. HA! However he is so sweet, super tolerant of everything, and, oh, lazy in a good way lol. I hate the shedding but I would definitely consider a Great Pyrenees pup in the future Ă°Å¸Ëœ

I probably should have added, I live in Florida, lol!  

• Like 2

A golden retriever/lab mix is really, really good. If you get a mix, you have fewer of the vet issues, and all of the awesome. Theoretically, anyway. But temperament of a golden or golden/lab really is so so so so so ideal with kids and babies. So so so amazing. Total opposite your hair requirement....also giant tumbleweed of hair. You really have to pick/sweep those up by hand, then vacuum. But, the personality/temperament.....bliss. Not super chill in the puppy stage, but after that...

You would not want any of the herding dogs, because a puppy now will mean a grown up dog with his or her herding instincts kicking in when your baby is a toddler, which can mean nipping, etc. as they try to herd baby. As a former trainer, probably you can manage that, but I wouldn't want to. And if you have to narrow down, might as well use that as a criteria.

Hounds will RUN, so unless you have extra, super secure yard and crazy vigilant door openers, not a hound. The ones we have known have all been the sort to BOLT out an open door; a beagle we dog-sat once darted out and led my best friend on a miles-long chase through town before we caught up in the car. So, I would rule out hounds.

We have been trying to talk my MIL into a schnauzer, but I haven't read up on how they are with kids....pretty chill, calm dogs, though, and medium, not huge. So maybe that.

For us, we will go with some type of golden retriever mix (because yes, ear infections, hot spots, and allergies....ugh), a German shepherd mix (but we don't have babies/toddlers anymore), a boxer mix (because, love) (but hyper...so very busy/boisterous, so I ruled it out for you based on what you said), or....probably one of those three.

So, not a ton of help, because they're all ruled out on your other criteria. Except, a golden is so worth it, or a golden/lab mix. Everyone I have ever known has been absolutely so super wonderful (we had a mix, then a pure golden, and we knew another mix...the stories I could tell.....seriously. Best dog.)

Oh, maybe look at how long they stay "puppies" since you don't want "puppy" and "toddler" at the same time. That might be another strike against a golden, 'cause they stay in puppy mode for two years, not just one, and that would hit toddler and puppy together. The dog would be past the chewing stage and the nighttime potty stage, but the energy level and craziness....full throws.

Which sounds a lot like "not a Golden" except....seriously, best dog.

• Like 2

Golden are wonderful. And so are labs, the ones that are normal. But there are also the super hyper version of both breeds. And of course, hair! 

But a lab mix may be what we go with, lots of those. And then just be very careful as to how we pick the individual puppy. A lab pit mix may be what we end up with, who knows. 

• Like 1

We have a yellow lab/white german shepherd mix who has the most wonderful temperament of any dog we've ever owned.  He's a total sweetheart, very laid back and mellow, but also instantly turns into a big, scary, protective watchdog when a stranger is at the door.  But he sheds like CRAZY!

Whatever you do, do not get an Australian shepherd/Catahoula leopard mix.  We have one of those, too, and he is the biggest troublemaking handful of a dog we've ever owned! (but we love the little stinker a lot)

• Like 1

Golden are wonderful. And so are labs, the ones that are normal. But there are also the super hyper version of both breeds. And of course, hair!

But a lab mix may be what we go with, lots of those. And then just be very careful as to how we pick the individual puppy. A lab pit mix may be what we end up with, who knows.

Well, I specifically meant a mix of a golden retriever and a lab, but yes, a mix that has either one would be good. But mostly the golden. But pretty much golden mixed with anything is good. Can you tell I don't really want another dog, I want another golden? Lol!

• Like 3

I will say, our total mutt, so mixed breed that none of our vets have ventured a guess, has been our best ever dog. So there's something to be said about mutts...we fostered a litter for two weeks, observed them all and how they interacted with our other dog and our kids, picked based on that and found homes for the others. Best thing we've ever done, but then, such an odd situation...still, don't be afraid to just go to the shelter and observe, watch, and be led by what you find there.

• Like 3

I love labs, that's what I grew up with. We've had shepherd mixes that were wonderful, but the shedding was awful! They went through 4 (4!) super shedding cycles a year. They were very smart and loyal dogs though.

We currently have a beagle mix. He's really sweet, laid back, loves people. We have no idea what he's mixed with but he's a great dog. A college roommate had a beagle that was quite hyper, though so I would say ours is a bit atypical.

My grandfather has had various terrier mixes, he's had two fox terrier mixes that I remember and currently has a Jack Russell mix. They can be a little territorial, but are trainable. They will do tricks and love to play. His dogs have been about 40 pounds which is a good indoor dog size. They shed but it isn't terrible as they don't have the under coat.

I think a lab pIt mix could be a great dog.

• Like 1

We have a yellow lab/white german shepherd mix who has the most wonderful temperament of any dog we've ever owned.  He's a total sweetheart, very laid back and mellow, but also instantly turns into a big, scary, protective watchdog when a stranger is at the door.  But he sheds like CRAZY!

Whatever you do, do not get an Australian shepherd/Catahoula leopard mix.  We have one of those, too, and he is the biggest troublemaking handful of a dog we've ever owned! (but we love the little stinker a lot)

OMG, no, never will I have a catahoula. Those dogs are CRAZY! Smart, but crazy. 

Pembroke Welsh Corgi! I've worked with dogs for years as a pet sitter and vet tech. A well trained corgi has always been the most agreeable dog in my opinion. Only downside is the fur but if you brush them regularly the hair isn't too bad.

I really love a lot of breeds but since finally getting to own my own corgi I'm not sure I'll ever be able to have another breed.

• Like 1

Pembroke Welsh Corgi! I've worked with dogs for years as a pet sitter and vet tech. A well trained corgi has always been the most agreeable dog in my opinion. Only downside is the fur but if you brush them regularly the hair isn't too bad.

I really love a lot of breeds but since finally getting to own my own corgi I'm not sure I'll ever be able to have another breed.

Hmm...the worst dog fights i've seen were between corgis. And I do worry that the nipping would be an issue....but one to consider. I think we want bigger though. 

• Like 1

We loved our Wheaton Terriers. They get to about 30 lbs, are very good natured, and do not shed. They do require some grooming if you keep their hair long, but if you shave it closer a couple times a year you reduce the grooming needs a whole lot.

Wheaton puppies are the cutest guys imaginable. It's very hard to stop at just one dog. We had to get 2.  :laugh:

WheatenTerrierdooganpup.jpg

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 4

This is for the future, right, not along with a brand-new baby?  We loved our Wheaton Terriers. They get to about 30 lbs, are very good natured, and do not shed. They do require some grooming if you keep their hair long, but if you shave it closer a couple times a year you reduce the grooming needs a whole lot.

Wheaton puppies are the cutest guys imaginable. It's very hard to stop at just one dog. We had to get 2.  :laugh:

WheatenTerrierdooganpup.jpg

How smart are yours, how trainable, and how hyper? I knew only a few, and that was early in the surge in popularity, in an area where people tended to frequent pet stores (ugh!) not breeders. The ones I knew were um....flighty? Flakey? So sweet, and I loved the fur, and the size, but they were NOT easy to train at all. Attention span of a gnat. But...again, these were pet store puppies if I remember correctly. (used to work in the Palm Beach area and could NOT convince seniors to actually look for breeders!)

SaveSave

I would not get a lab/pit mix from a shelter unless they can tell you why it was surrendered and they had fostered it in a home with children. That said, I think the right one could be wonderful. I might go for an older Golden (3-4) but you have to know why it was surrendered and go thru a breed-specific rescue.

• Like 3

How smart are yours, how trainable, and how hyper? I knew only a few, and that was early in the surge in popularity, in an area where people tended to frequent pet stores (ugh!) not breeders. The ones I knew were um....flighty? Flakey? So sweet, and I loved the fur, and the size, but they were NOT easy to train at all. Attention span of a gnat. But...again, these were pet store puppies if I remember correctly. (used to work in the Palm Beach area and could NOT convince seniors to actually look for breeders!)

SaveSave

We got ours from a very good breeder about 20 years ago. The first one we put the most time and energy into training, and he was great. Did very well in obedience classes, was very easy to socialize, easily trained to go bathroom on command in a specific spot, etc. They were both very friendly and non-aggressive; neither was hyper at all. They did get a little rattled around toddlers and a lot of young children running around, but they were 10+ by then. We just kept them safely behind baby gates.

I actually do like standard poodles. But nervous in any breed won't work. I need more the calm, old soul type dog for this phase of life I think. Which is so not my norm, lol. 

Of course, if the right one comes along, I'll fall in love and forget my shedding and other criteria. Just saw a puppy on a rescue list that is a lab/pyr mix that was so sweet and happy looking, and almost forgot um..shedding! And size! and well, lots of stuff. https://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/36913136

My best bet is going to be to talk to a former coworker who is very involved in rescue,a nd maybe have her keep an eye out for me. 

Edited by ktgrok
  • Like 4

We've had two golden lab rescues and they have both been wonderful dogs. We got the first at exactly six and the second at maybe five, her history was completely unknown. The first was from the local humane society and came highly recommended by the volunteers there and got top marks on their behavior assessment. The prior owners also provided a complete and detailed history. She truly was the easiest dog ever, and we loved on her for seven years.

The current one is from an out of state rescue that takes dogs from the south and ships them north. She was fostered and thoroughly assessed, so we knew exactly what we were getting. She was likely abused so is slower to warm up, especially with men, but has really come a long way. She is incredibly sweet and gentle and is up for any adventure, but is very easy in the house. No barking, chewing, or getting into anything. The shedding is really the only downside.

• Like 1

We need sweet tempered, able to tolerate noise and chaos, sturdy, etc. My friend was over with her golden doodle and although I often dislike that breed due to hyper tendencies, this one was amazing. For half a minute I considered actually buying a dog from a breeder, but yeah, I'm not paying $1,500 for a dog when our shelters and rescues are FULL of dogs that need homes, of every breed and size. And DH wouldn't go for that either. 

I would not pay $1500 for a mixed breed dog of any kind.

What about a miniature poodle? There is upkeep, but there's no shedding. My mother raised poodles for a number of years, and we loved them.

• Like 1

I would not pay $1500 for a mixed breed dog of any kind.

What about a miniature poodle? There is upkeep, but there's no shedding. My mother raised poodles for a number of years, and we loved them.

Smaller than we want. 

Honestly, what I want is a golden retriever that doesn't shed or have allergy issues, lol.  May just deal with the fur and go that route. I've always wanted one, since I can remember, but we'll see. Not many in rescue in this area. 

• Like 2

The shelters around here will rarely let people with young children have their dogs.  Have you looked into the rules in your area?

I have often thought a Border Terrier would be a pretty great breed.  A little more barking than ideal, but cute, minimal shedding (you get them groomed a couple of times a year), medium sized (25ish lbs, IIRC), smart.

Smaller than we want. 

Honestly, what I want is a golden retriever that doesn't shed or have allergy issues, lol.  May just deal with the fur and go that route. I've always wanted one, since I can remember, but we'll see. Not many in rescue in this area. 

then Standard poodle. :-) They are smart, and have really great temperaments (I'm sure you know that much of a dog's temperament is really influenced by his people).

Edited by Ellie
  • Like 1

Some kind of staffy or boxer? I know Staffies have a reputation for aggression issues but all the ones I have ever known have been calm laid back dogs and they are short hair non shedders. They do tend to smell a bit in the heat.

You can get short haired borders but then if you are looking for something less intense a border may not be what you are after anyway.

A friend has had three rescued boxers. According to her, they have more incidences of cancer. I don't know if that's true or not, but two of her three have had cancer; one had to be put down. :-(

My friends with Boxers have had a mixed bag - some cancer that was recoverable, some that wasn't, and some perfectly healthy dogs. They're not overly prone compared to other breeds I don't think, but I like a lot of dogs prone to bone cancers such so that could skew my perspective!

Since you work with dogs professionally, you probably know all the tricks for evaluating temperament. If by "puppy" you mean 1-2 year old "puppy", you will be past a lot of the difficult stages (for a pregnant lady/mom of newborn) and get a better look at personality.

Only *really* great cats and dogs we have ever had (including my extended family) have come from shelters as slightly older animals. It totally pays to search for exactly the right dog.

• Like 1

If I were looking for an "old soul" dog I'd take a good look at beagles and hound mixes of all sorts. Also IME the lab (or golden) and pit mixes that seem to be calling to you often fit that description. I wouldn't be considering boxers, poodles or anything with livestock guardian breeds in the mix (I don't believe those should be kept as pets ever). Another thought is -- Greyhounds. They're large but don't shed a ton and are known as 40 mph couch potatoes. But they have a high rate of cancer, too. Most Greyhound rescues are very good about finding the right fit for a family. I don't know in general how well they tend to do with babies and toddlers, though.

• Like 3

I'm answering the underlying question(s) which weren't given a question mark...

No way would I add a new dog at the same time as a newborn. Remember the sleepless nights? Imagine just getting back to sleep and then having the puppy need to go out again. Etc etc

I'd probably wait a year or two (or three or four until the kid is old enough to be trained to be nice to the doggy).

I know you weren't actively seeking opinions on this, but there it is.

• Like 4

We have a border terrier mix from the pound. She's 1000% terrier, but she's fabulous. Smart, snuggly (after dark she's a lap blanket), good at baking at strangers but not otherwise. Downsides - hard to train, RUNS if let out. She'll usually cone back when called, but we're in a new place (moved) and I wouldn't trust her off a lead AT ALL around here. Apparently there are LOADS of delicious things to smell and chase here.

We also have a lab/retriever mix. She's sweet. And kind of....Not bright. She is obedient, submissive (10 years old and at can't pet her in the house our she will pee, and he's never even raised his voice at her), anxious.... All the good and bad of both breeds. Amplified.

Good luck!

I actually do like standard poodles. But nervous in any breed won't work. I need more the calm, old soul type dog for this phase of life I think. Which is so not my norm, lol. 

A Sheltie is probably not what you want, with all that fur (When ours was still with us I used to say I could make a new dog out of what he shed daily) plus being in Florida. And it might be a smaller breed than you want. However, they're certainly old souls. They practically train themselves and are very attached to their humans. They're polite.  They do however, require daily brushing and (as I'm sure you know) a job, since they're working dogs. Ours loved agility and we often played hide and seek with him, but he also assigned himself as chief cat herder in the house.

I work for a dog rescue. We get a lot of owner turn-in dogs because having a dog is too much additional work when the family has very young children and/or a lot of outside activities from which the dog is necessarily excluded. It is very common that families cannot handle having both a dog and a newborn. (There are other reasons for owners to turn their dogs over to a rescue -- this is just the reason that is in first place.)

From the dog's point of view, at least until we find it a great home, this is a terrible situation. They are very stressed because they have lost their families and cannot understand what is going on. The families are also very upset. It takes a rescue dog about 6 months to adjust its new situation ... regardless of whether it appears to the new owners that the dog has adjusted immediately.

True, a lot of families keep the dog in this situation, and it results in there being a lot of lonely, bored, untrained dogs who have owners who feel guilty about that or who are too overwhelmed to change the situation or who don't care about their dog all that much. It is a double-edged sword. I know a lot of families (and dogs) in this situation.

I advise you to wait to get a dog until your children are older. I know this is difficult. I waited until my kids were 7 years old before we got a dog, simply because I didn't think it would be advantageous to the dog or to me to add one to the mix. (I do realize that since my kids are close in age that my wait was shorter than it could have been.)

My thoughts on this are based solely on what I've seen happen in nearly 3 years of working for the largest rescue in the U.S. for my breed. It is heart-breaking to deal with families that have made the mistake of adding a dog to their family at an inappropriate time. These families love their dogs, but there is a limit to the time and energy they have to devote to their dog. Everyone has time and energy limits, whether or not they have a dog or kids.

I am not someone who castigates people for giving up their dogs to rescue. We always find great homes for the dogs ... but it would have been better for the families and the dogs not have been in that situation in the first place.

Edited by RoughCollie
  • Like 7

We got a pair of bichon/poodle crosses from a rescue -- adults who had been raised together in one family their entire lives.  They are awesome with kids and so calm in the house (but energetic outdoors). Smart (but not "get into trouble constantly" smart like our previous dog, a Corgi)! They are completely affectionate and adorable and NO SHEDDING!  I've always leaned towards larger dogs, but these guys (25 lbs) captured our hearts. 

If a smaller dog is not for you, how about looking for an adult golden/poodle or lab/poodle cross from a rescue? The poodle part often nixes the shedding and it sounds like you love the golden personality...

Good luck in your search!

Edited by zaichiki
  • Like 1

A dobie (or dobie mix)! They are sweet and patient and I've never seen such great dogs with kids. They play hard outside and sleep hard inside and are big rule followers too. :) Short hair and easy to care for on that front.

A dobie (or dobie mix)! They are sweet and patient and I've never seen such great dogs with kids. They play hard outside and sleep hard inside and are big rule followers too. :) Short hair and easy to care for on that front.

Probably a bigger breed than you want but I agree. They're sweethearts.

• Like 1

Portuguese Water Dog, though expensive, are awesome.  I love ours and can't imagine being without one in our family.  We have had a Portie since 2004 and currently have two who are now 2.5 and 1yr old. Splash our original one died two years ago. Fun, no shedding, smart, trainable, high energy without being hyper or anxious or nervous.

• Like 1

I work for a dog rescue. We get a lot of owner turn-in dogs because having a dog is too much additional work when the family has very young children and/or a lot of outside activities from which the dog is necessarily excluded. It is very common that families cannot handle having both a dog and a newborn. (There are other reasons for owners to turn their dogs over to a rescue -- this is just the reason that is in first place.)

From the dog's point of view, at least until we find it a great home, this is a terrible situation. They are very stressed because they have lost their families and cannot understand what is going on. The families are also very upset. It takes a rescue dog about 6 months to adjust its new situation ... regardless of whether it appears to the new owners that the dog has adjusted immediately.

True, a lot of families keep the dog in this situation, and it results in there being a lot of lonely, bored, untrained dogs who have owners who feel guilty about that or who are too overwhelmed to change the situation or who don't care about their dog all that much. It is a double-edged sword. I know a lot of families (and dogs) in this situation.

I advise you to wait to get a dog until your children are older. I know this is difficult. I waited until my kids were 7 years old before we got a dog, simply because I didn't think it would be advantageous to the dog or to me to add one to the mix. (I do realize that since my kids are close in age that my wait was shorter than it could have been.)

My thoughts on this are based solely on what I've seen happen in nearly 3 years of working for the largest rescue in the U.S. for my breed. It is heart-breaking to deal with families that have made the mistake of adding a dog to their family at an inappropriate time. These families love their dogs, but there is a limit to the time and energy they have to devote to their dog. Everyone has time and energy limits, whether or not they have a dog or kids.

I am not someone who castigates people for giving up their dogs to rescue. We always find great homes for the dogs ... but it would have been better for the families and the dogs not have been in that situation in the first place.

I appreciate you sharing your experience on this, RoughCollie. Working in a rescue, you probably hear mostly about the "failures."  I want to share our "success" so people can hear about the "other side."

We "rescued" our first dog when our oldest two kids were 5 and 2.  She came from a family down the road who had gotten her from a local rescue (they rehomed her from the streets of Puerto Rico) before they had kids (this rescue won't place dogs with families that have kids under the age of 8). They soon had a baby, but when the second baby came, mom was overwhelmed and they were looking for a new home for her.  That's how we got her.  And it was the best decision we could have made!  We kept her until she passed away last year at 14. While she was with us, we had two additional babies -- so she had a LOT of experience with newborns and toddlers in her 14 years.  

A few years later, we visited that rescue and brought some donations my kids had collected.  When the director discovered how we had "inherited" our dog, she was livid and kept telling me how it was such a bad decision.  I asked about adopting another dog from them, but she refused, due to the ages of my kids. I have to admit that I felt bad for her. She was completely unwilling to accept the fact that things had worked out well for the dog and both families involved and that we would be a "good gamble" for giving a good home to another dog.

I think, because the OP has lots of experience with dogs and children, the OP will make a good decision about when it is the right time *for her family* to add a dog. I think she knows all about the work involved and what she can handle. *I* personally, have added a dog to a family with a toddler AND have added two newborns to a family with a dog and had it work out well, so I must admit to having confidence that it can work for others, too, in certain situations.

Good luck, OP!

• Like 7

I appreciate you sharing your experience on this, RoughCollie. Working in a rescue, you probably hear mostly about the "failures."  I want to share our "success" so people can hear about the "other side."

We "rescued" our first dog when our oldest two kids were 5 and 2.  She came from a family down the road who had gotten her from a local rescue (they rehomed her from the streets of Puerto Rico) before they had kids (this rescue won't place dogs with families that have kids under the age of 8). They soon had a baby, but when the second baby came, mom was overwhelmed and they were looking for a new home for her.  That's how we got her.  And it was the best decision we could have made!  We kept her until she passed away last year at 14. While she was with us, we had two additional babies -- so she had a LOT of experience with newborns and toddlers in her 14 years.  

A few years later, we visited that rescue and brought some donations my kids had collected.  When the director discovered how we had "inherited" our dog, she was livid and kept telling me how it was such a bad decision.  I asked about adopting another dog from them, but she refused, due to the ages of my kids. I have to admit that I felt bad for her. She was completely unwilling to accept the fact that things had worked out well for the dog and both families involved and that we would be a "good gamble" for giving a good home to another dog.

I think, because the OP has lots of experience with dogs and children, the OP will make a good decision about when it is the right time *for her family* to add a dog. I think she knows all about the work involved and what she can handle. *I* personally, have added a dog to a family with a toddler AND have added two newborns to a family with a dog and had it work out well, so I must admit to having confidence that it can work for others, too, in certain situations.

Good luck, OP!

I've worked in rescue for many, many years. Longer than I like to remember. ;)

And normally I'd give exactly the same advice as RoughCollie has given.

But I feel like I "know" Katie well enough to know that she will be much more like Zaichiki's experience than the typical pet owner's experience. Katie is a former vet tech and a trainer. And a long time dog owner. She knows what she's getting into.

FWIW, I also bucked my own advice and got a very high energy puppy (a Brittany) when my youngest was 18 months old. It's not something I'd recommend as general advice, but I knew what I was getting myself into it. IME most of the problems regarding kids and dogs comes from unrealistic expectations. I think Katie knows plenty enough to not have that issue.

• Like 5

My lab is exactly the dog you described. I did get her from a breeder though- one I've known socially for years and trust . Getting a very predictable dog was the only way I'd add a dog to my family with young kids involved, for many reasons.... safety, minimize odds of a mismatch, knowing my own limits and responsibilities, not droopy-yippy - high strung, and most of all having a dog who be able to remain calm and steady with loud energetic kiddos.

• Like 1

I am a big dog lover in general, never had a small dog. 

Huge fan of the Australian Shepherd, they herd with their body, they don't nip unlike cattle dogs.  Unlike Border Collies, they are also very much couch potatoes when not working or playing.  She loves everyone and everything.

Yeah, she sheds, massive undercoat, but in the last few years I've taken her to a groomer for a puppy cut about every 4 months and my vacuum loves me again.

One of the best temperaments I have ever known.  She is 13 now and so my next dog has been much on my mind.  I have a friend with two Great Pyrenees rescues and they are so wonderful, so that might be an option.

I brought an old Beagle home from Japan after an earthquake years ago, sweetest dog in the world, cats, kids other dogs, never an issue with her.  BUT she was a roamer and would steal food.  The former a Beagle trait, the latter from her being a stray I think. But smaller than is my preference. 

The shelters around here will rarely let people with young children have their dogs.  Have you looked into the rules in your area?

I have often thought a Border Terrier would be a pretty great breed.  A little more barking than ideal, but cute, minimal shedding (you get them groomed a couple of times a year), medium sized (25ish lbs, IIRC), smart.

My area of the country is so overrun with dogs that isn't an issue. Currently both shelters are adopting animals out for $12, to anyone pretty much, because they are so full. 

And I have contacts in private rescue from when I worked in the veterinary field, so I'll alert them as well. My coworker that helps run one of them has a young son herself, and multiple fosters at any time, so again, not an issue. 

The sad truth of living in an area with such an overpopulation problem. 

• Like 1

A Rhodesian ridgeback? Ours is a total sweety, laid back, sleeps 23hrs a day if nothing is going on, but ready for a game whenever you are. They are big puppies till about two years old, so with a baby, and you getting a rescue, I'd choose one older than two years.

This actually high up on my list of possibilities. I have known many, and loved all of them. 

A friend has had three rescued boxers. According to her, they have more incidences of cancer. I don't know if that's true or not, but two of her three have had cancer; one had to be put down. :-(

It's true :(

Also, probably more bouncy than I'm looking for right now, but yes, on the list for sure. Sweet, sweet dogs and the right size. 

• Like 1