Menu

I don't buy cage free eggs because...

SparklyUnicorn

About 2 weeks ago one of my daughters left the lid of the top of the box that stores our chicken feed and there were 3 mice in it. I took the mice and let one loose at a time in the coop and the chickens caught and ate them. It was awesome.

I love having chickens and their eggs. We'll probably keep chickens for as long as we can. In fact, we'd love to have more and eventually raise some for meat. The taste difference between a free range chicken and grocery store chicken is significant.

Wow!  That's really something.  I would have never imaged it.  I almost want to see it.  LOL

• Like 1

I recently read a book about Vinotypes.  Vino as in wine.   The idea is that since people truly taste things differently, that wines taste different depending on what vinotype you fall into.   People have different sensitivities to Bitter, Salt and Sweet.   Maybe the eggs don't taste the same to you as they do to the people that are raving.  

We live in a small town with farms around us.   We used to buy eggs from a certain person that sold them at the farmer's market.  I noticed the taste wasn't quite as wonderful as they had been when I started, but still better than grocery.  I mentioned that to another homeschooling mom.  She said, "Yeah, he has a lot more chickens now.  They are still definitely free-range, but the square-foot per chicken has gone down."  

It could be taste differences, but it could also be psychological (which is not nothing, I'm not dismissing that aspect as an important factor).  That's why I'd love to have a blind tasting. 

All I can say from this thread is that I'm glad we have our own chickens.  I can't taste the difference, but I certainly can see the difference in the darker yolk and firmer shell.  I also love that they recycle almost all food waste from my kitchen, and yes, they get every mouse we catch in a trap.  They also get snakes (on their own and any we get - just like mice).  All that stuff tastes better as eggs.  ;)

And I don't have to worry about their having too little space.  We've never had one attack another - even when they get older.  I suspect they're quite happy with their lives.

That said, we do have to buy eggs occasionally - esp over the winter months.  I'll look for certified humane and hope for the best.  It bothers me to buy regular eggs knowing chickens are so cooped up and apparently the "cage free" without any humane certification isn't any better.  I don't want to support either.  I'd get them from my neighbor (who also has chickens), but their down time mirrors ours.

• Like 3

I recently read a book about Vinotypes.  Vino as in wine.   The idea is that since people truly taste things differently, that wines taste different depending on what vinotype you fall into.   People have different sensitivities to Bitter, Salt and Sweet.     

While this is certainly true, it's also been proven over and over again that we psychologically assign flavor to things we think are better or worse (same wine, in differently labeled bottles).  

It's difficult to tell which way it goes with any particular substance without blind testing.

Even then, there can be some variables based upon age (of the egg) or a food recently eaten by the human or other smells that are around, etc.

• Like 1

I always wonder what is so ideal about vegetarian fed eggs? Don't they eat mostly vegetarian stuff naturally with a few bugs here or there? So they are highlighting what they have been feeding them already?

Like highlighting that cotton candy is "fat free".

Ok...

No. chickens are definitely omnivores. Tons of bugs and they'll even eat meat scraps if I offer. Sometimes we get a weird chicken that'll eat it's own eggs. And I've seen them attack tiny frogs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

When we have chickens that free range (can't right now due to my dd's dogs), the eggs don't have a very different taste, but they LOOK very different. The yolks are nearly orange. Ours free range all day, are locked up in their chicken tractor at night (dd put a big AKC 4x10 dog run on skids, so we can move it around - that way they'll have clean grass for the few hours/day they are in the run), and do get supplemental feed when in the pen). I SO miss having my fresh eggs, and can't wait to raise some more chicks. Once some of these dogs are gone, I'll likely have a couple dozen chickens roaming the property.

• Like 1

Haha, yeah. I texted dh and he made me wait until he got home to do the last one because he wanted to watch. Ă°Å¸ËœÅ 

That's better than a cat.  My cat just plays around with mice, but that's about it.  She once brought one into the house and then lost interest in the thing before even killing it.  We had to catch it and deal with it!

• Like 1

I use to say this about farm fresh eggs but the chickens' diets matter. We use to get eggs from a family at our church, they were fabulous. My in-laws give us free range eggs from their tenants and the grocery store eggs actually taste better. I've seen both farms up close and can't tell much difference in how the chickens are raised, the chickens run around during the day and are put in a coop at night. I haven't asked what the difference is, one of them must be supplementing the chickens' diets.

My hens are pretty much free range. Put em in a coop at night so they won't be eaten by critters.

In the summer their eggs are better. I can always tell in the winter if I've given them greens for a supplement to their ration. They do get a scoop of layer pellet. In summer they eat far less of the pellets.

100_3477.jpg

Here's the difference between my eggs and store eggs. My hen's eggs are on the left.

And my family has gotten so used to the taste that during molting season, eggs are only used for baking. Not eating.

• Like 5

All I can say from this thread is that I'm glad we have our own chickens.  I can't taste the difference, but I certainly can see the difference in the darker yolk and firmer shell.  I also love that they recycle almost all food waste from my kitchen, and yes, they get every mouse we catch in a trap.  They also get snakes (on their own and any we get - just like mice).  All that stuff tastes better as eggs.   ;)

And I don't have to worry about their having too little space.  We've never had one attack another - even when they get older.  I suspect they're quite happy with their lives.

That said, we do have to buy eggs occasionally - esp over the winter months.  I'll look for certified humane and hope for the best.  It bothers me to buy regular eggs knowing chickens are so cooped up and apparently the "cage free" without any humane certification isn't any better.  I don't want to support either.  I'd get them from my neighbor (who also has chickens), but their down time mirrors ours.

You can freeze eggs, just break them into a muffin/cupcake tray.   

DH promised me a henhouse this winter, so I've been reading up and talking to people. 

• Like 2

We had our own chickens before I moved to CA, and after raising my own free range on organic feed, I can't go back to regular store bought.  I don't like the way the chickens are raised for one, but there's just no comparison with the eggs.  There are places around here to buy eggs from farmers (and we could have our own in our yard again, but I've just had too many other projects to deal with), but I've ended up buying pastured eggs from Vital Farms.  They are expensive, but very good.

• Like 1

I have a friend who is kind of an urban farmer type, and instead of chickens she has ducks.  The eggs are about the same size, but they have bigger yolks and are richer.  Ducks are smarter than chickens and less susceptible to disease, she says.  The males do not crow, so they don't bother the neighbors.  The only extra requirement is that they have to be able to go into water regularly, so she keeps a big wading pool in her yard that they can use during the day.  At night they are shut into a heavy duty coop for protection from the raccoons.  She lets them into her veggie garden briefly every couple of days--they preferentially eat bugs, so she leaves them in until they stop eating bugs and start eating the tender shoots and buds of the plants, at which point she drives them back into the main yard.  So she has organic control of insects in her veggies, and gets eggs year round, and also she slaughters the extras once a year so she always has frozen duck meat in her larder.

The way the 'extras' happen is, in the city we are only allowed a certain number of fowl--I can't remember whether it is 4 or 6--but anyway, she lets the females develop a nestful of eggs every year, and then hatch them, and then at a certain point the ducklings get slaughtered for food.  It's OK legally to have the extra if it's brief. 

• Like 1

My hens are pretty much free range. Put em in a coop at night so they won't be eaten by critters.

In the summer their eggs are better. I can always tell in the winter if I've given them greens for a supplement to their ration. They do get a scoop of layer pellet. In summer they eat far less of the pellets.

100_3477.jpg

Here's the difference between my eggs and store eggs. My hen's eggs are on the left.

And my family has gotten so used to the taste that during molting season, eggs are only used for baking. Not eating.

. I wonder if that's the difference I have noticed. We only got eggs from the church family in summer because they don't lay as many in the winter. We get the eggs from my in laws year round.

Haven't read all replies but my understanding is that chickens that are allowed to eat bugs make the best more nutritious eggs with darker yolks being a way to tell the higher quality.

The eggs at my local Aldi are the cheapest around and actually have darker, better tasting yolks. When I buy cheap eggs elsewhere they are pale yellow and nearly flavorless.

Strange. Maybe the Aldi egg vendor let's their chickens eat bugs.

But anyway overall it's just strange how the more messed-with and less natural food is raised/grown, the cheaper it usually is. And the food that is grown/ raised with less messing with is more expensive.

There's no difference in egg yolk color between my chickens' eggs and the grocery store ones. And yes, they eat bugs 8am to dusk, my bugs and the neighbor's too ;) The egg yolk color is a myth I think.

One time I noticed a difference is when I fed them quinoa which had turmeric in it (long story, I made it for my kids, I don't really cook for my chickens) and obv the yolks were orange then ;)

Edited by madteaparty
  • Like 1

There's no difference in egg yolk color between my chickens' eggs and the grocery store ones. And yes, they eat bugs 8am to dusk, my bugs and the neighbor's too ;) The egg yolk color is a myth I think.

One time I noticed a difference is when I fed them quinoa which had turmeric in it (long story, I made it for my kids, I don't really cook for my chickens) and obv the yolks were orange then ;)

I'm not sure what the deal is with yours, but it's certainly not a myth with ours.  When ours are free ranging, their yolk is dark.  When we have to feed them and keep them in (eg vacations, bad weather, or predators nearby) the yolk then matches the grocery store - or at least - very close to it.  Their shells aren't as thick when we return from traveling as well.

Edited by creekland
  • Like 1

I'm not sure what the deal is with yours, but it's certainly not a myth with ours.  When ours are free ranging, their yolk is dark.  When we have to feed them and keep them in (eg vacations, bad weather, or predators nearby) the yolk then matches the grocery store - or at least - very close to it.  Their shells aren't as thick when we return from traveling as well.

Mine are clearly inferior. I need to have a little chat with them  ;) We have much to discuss...

Edited by madteaparty
  • Like 1

My state, Massachusetts, recently passed a law banning egg-laying hens from being held in confined spaces, meaning "prevents the animal from lying down, standing up, fully extending its limbs, or turning around freely". 

This extends to banning the sale from out of state eggs from hens confided in such a way.

Each hen is required to have about 1.5 feet of roaming space.  Not ideal, but, still.  A step in the right direction.

It also banned veal calves and pigs from being confined that way, except for when traveling (for animal's safety).

It doesn't mean all chickens will be free range and happily eating bugs in the sun, but, it's certainly better than nothing.

We were told it would raise prices and most people voted for it anyway. It passed with something like 78% approval.

• Like 7

Omega 3 acid content and xanthophylls are what causes the more orangeish colors I believe.  If you supplement your feed with it or they have access to foods richer in those (like dark green veggies), it will change the hue of the yolk. Purina  makes a layer feed with the extra Omega-3's in it and I can testify to the fact that it definitely deepens the yolk color. 

I disagree with those who have posted that chickens will naturally attack each other. I'm not disputing that there is a natural pecking order that is maintained with strict vigilance, but aside from a rogue chicken who is  extremely aggressive, I do not think flock wide aggression and cannibalism is natural at all. In my experience it happens with overcrowded chickens and/or nutritional deficiencies in flocks. You aren't going to see your average free ranging flock cannibalizing one another. 

While this is certainly true, it's also been proven over and over again that we psychologically assign flavor to things we think are better or worse (same wine, in differently labeled bottles).

It's difficult to tell which way it goes with any particular substance without blind testing.

Even then, there can be some variables based upon age (of the egg) or a food recently eaten by the human or other smells that are around, etc.

Blind tasting comparisons are fascinating!

It's the truth, unfortunately. Chickens do not do well when they can't maintain a normal living environment. My two new chickens almost killed one of my old hens in this manner. She is alive and recovered now, but I cannot put her back with those mean girls. They think she is a walking buffet. :(

Omega 3 acid content and xanthophylls are what causes the more orangeish colors I believe. If you supplement your feed with it or they have access to foods richer in those (like dark green veggies), it will change the hue of the yolk. Purina makes a layer feed with the extra Omega-3's in it and I can testify to the fact that it definitely deepens the yolk color.

I disagree with those who have posted that chickens will naturally attack each other. I'm not disputing that there is a natural pecking order that is maintained with strict vigilance, but aside from a rogue chicken who is extremely aggressive, I do not think flock wide aggression and cannibalism is natural at all. In my experience it happens with overcrowded chickens and/or nutritional deficiencies in flocks. You aren't going to see your average free ranging flock cannibalizing one another.

Well I was one of those as well but I also agree with you. What happens with my free ranging ones is that If someone gets sick they go hide somewhere safe. It's just that a lot of people keeping domestic chickens confine them a lot of the time as well (because free ranging chickens are messy and destructive of vegetable gardens)

The egg lady I used to buy from had truly free range hens....as in, drive up real slow so you don't run one over, free range.

But I never noticed a difference in taste.  I notice a difference in the beef, and I notice a difference between tomatoes I grow vs tomatoes I get at the store...cukes too.  But eggs... never noticed a difference.  They seemed to all taste the same, boil the same and bake the same. 

ETA: They even seem to peel....or rather NOT peel in the exact same fashion...which is to say that they peel so terrible that I usually end up with half a boiled egg instead of a wholelol

How old are the eggs you are trying to peel?  Older eggs peel better - at least a week, better a little longer.  Fresh eggs peel horribly, no matter where they come from!

We have had several egg suppliers - former neighbors who got a hobby farm and several of my husband's coworkers.  Our neighbors-turned-country-folk have truly free range chickens, which are often chased by their cage-free children!

• Like 2

I taste and see a difference in store-bought eggs versus CSA eggs.

Store-bought eggs have a much paler yolk.

CSA eggs (cage free, free-range, grazing on grass) have a deep yellow color, almost ocher and taste very rich. The hens are fully feathered, rarely do I see one pecked on. There are acres of space but at dusk they congregate on roosting poles in the chicken coop. They have a good life as far as I can see.

I get two dozen eggs with seasonal veggies or walnuts / almonds and some goat milk occasionally.

In response to previous poster regarding peeling eggs: Peel older eggs and immerse in cold water before peeling.

Edited by Liz CA

Blind tasting comparisons are fascinating!

Does anyone else remember the original Pepsi Challenge taste tests?  :)

Wikipedia says:

"In his book Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking (2005), author Malcolm Gladwell presents evidence that suggests Pepsi's success over Coca-Cola in the 'Pepsi Challenge' is a result of the flawed nature of the 'sip test' method. His research shows that tasters will generally prefer the sweeter of two beverages based on a single sip, even if they prefer a less sweet beverage over the course of an entire can. When the preference in blind tests is compared to tests wherein cups are labeled with arbitrary labels (e.g., S or L) or brand names, the ratings of preference change."

• Like 1

How old are the eggs you are trying to peel? Older eggs peel better - at least a week, better a little longer. Fresh eggs peel horribly, no matter where they come from!

We have had several egg suppliers - former neighbors who got a hobby farm and several of my husband's coworkers. Our neighbors-turned-country-folk have truly free range chickens, which are often chased by their cage-free children!

Ok. This is where I DO see a difference and know someone is not pranking me by filling my nesting boxes with grocery store eggs.

My fresh eggs just do not peel, whereas farmer market ones, grocery store ones peel beautifully. Eggs don't last a week here as we eat and give them away so I can't do the week old test.

I don't see what's funny or entertaining about watching a living creature be hunted and violently killed. :(

It's pretty obvious to me. We live in a neighborhood. It is part of nature for animals to eat other animals, but it isn't something we see very often. So... novelty. It is also sort of funny to see a usually stupid and lazy bird who has been our pet for 2 years become the predator she was meant to be. As in "woah! Look at Brownie go! Who knew she had it in her!"

Also, I hate mice. They keep finding ways into our house. One even found its way into our van and ate through 2 car seats. Another was under my bed. I'm waging war with those disgusting creatures and if I can give my chicken a treat at the same time, all the better.

I can't help but feel that your post was condescending. There is a lot of precedence for enjoying watching animals eat smaller animals. Every nature documentary ever, feeding times posted at the zoo, etc. You are welcome to your feelings, but I won't feel bad for mine.

Edited by Meagan S
  • Like 3

It's pretty obvious to me. We live in a neighborhood. It is part of nature for animals to eat other animals, but it isn't something we see very often. So... novelty. It is also sort of funny to see a usually stupid and lazy bird who has been our pet for 2 years become the predator she was meant to be. As in "woah! Look at Brownie go! Who knew she had it in her!"

Also, I hate mice. They keep finding ways into our house. One even found its way into our van and ate through 2 car seats. Another was under my bed. I'm waging war with those disgusting creatures and if I can give my chicken a treat at the same time, all the better.

I can't help but feel that your post was condescending. There is a lot of precedence for enjoying watching animals eat smaller animals. Every nature documentary ever, feeding times posted at the zoo, etc. You are welcome to your feelings, but I won't feel bad for mine.

Thank you for your thoughtful response.

Yes, animals kill each other and all kinds of unpleasant things occur in nature. It was the apparently gleeful (haha, smiley faces) enjoyment of the mice's suffering that I found disrespectful.

Yes, there is a lot of precedence for enjoying watching animals suffer. Bull fights, dog fights, and (some) hunting all come to mind. Precedence doesn't make it right.

I have sympathy for you in regards to your mouse problem. I personally do like mice, but not in my house. We have always used live traps in homes in which we were living. I have used snap traps in a home we were selling, because I wasn't able to check live traps daily and it would have been more cruel to let the mice starve than to kill them quickly. 

We likely have plenty of areas of agreement outside of this issue! I just felt that the way in which you were speaking of the animals' deaths was unkind, so I spoke up. If it's necessary to kill another creature, it seems best to do it in the least stressful and least painful way possible. That's my take on it, anyway.

• Like 3

:blink:  

You think that most people who watch nature documentaries do so because they enjoy watching the zebra or the baby wildebeest die? I don't think I've ever met anyone who thought those were the "fun" parts of a wildlife documentary. 

Does your local zoo actually feed live prey to animals in front of the public so viewers can enjoy the sight of small animals being killed and eaten??? I've never heard of a zoo doing that.

I don't particularly like mice either, and there've been times when I had to resort to traps, but I can certainly say I've never actually "enjoyed" watching an animal die. Yikes.

• Like 3

Yes, there is a lot of precedence for enjoying watching animals suffer. Bull fights, dog fights, and (some) hunting all come to mind. Precedence doesn't make it right.

I appreciate your thoughts and am happy to agree to disagree, except I did want to say that it isn't suffering that I was talking about. It was animals eating other animals for food. I personally take no enjoyment in the gratuitous suffering of animals that you mention here. I'm not an animal person in general, but I do recognize that these things are wrong. Getting rid of some mice by letting my chickens have at them though? No problem.

Also our zoo does feed live mice to the snakes.

• Like 1

I appreciate your thoughts and am happy to agree to disagree, except I did want to say that it isn't suffering that I was talking about. It was animals eating other animals for food. I personally take no enjoyment in the gratuitous suffering of animals that you mention here. I'm not an animal person in general, but I do recognize that these things are wrong. Getting rid of some mice by letting my chickens have at them though? No problem.

FWIW, I agree with you.  Watching the hunt is very interesting.  Watching some dogs or birds bred and then decked out in other crud solely for fighting?  No interest.  Watching nature?  Very interesting.  Once while on a hike we watched a black snake eat a mama mouse and then go on to eat her nesting babies.  I'm an NOT a snake person, but catching that scene in the wild was awesome.

If we ever get to go on an African safari, I hope to be able to catch a hunt (viewing - no desire to hunt there myself).  It won't really matter to me who wins.  I can root for either the predator or the prey and tell the story about it either way.

• Like 1

Yes.  If we didn't have supermarkets with cut up meat we'd be out there hunting for it.  And it wouldn't always be super pretty.  A larger animal would probably gladly gobble me up too.

Mice are pests.  No real redeeming value to having them in your home.  So if my cat catches one, I'm not upset about it.  I hardly see how this is different than me leaving out traps.  But this is also not like betting on dog fights or cock fights or whatever animal fights. 

• Like 1

The egg lady I used to buy from had truly free range hens....as in, drive up real slow so you don't run one over, free range.

But I never noticed a difference in taste.  I notice a difference in the beef, and I notice a difference between tomatoes I grow vs tomatoes I get at the store...cukes too.  But eggs... never noticed a difference.  They seemed to all taste the same, boil the same and bake the same. 

ETA: They even seem to peel....or rather NOT peel in the exact same fashion...which is to say that they peel so terrible that I usually end up with half a boiled egg instead of a wholelol

Fresh eggs are the hardest to peel. That was more likely the issue than the fact that they were free range.

• Like 2

100_3477.jpg

Yup, the left is the color of my eggs. Researchers have supposedly found a difference in omega content as well with grazing chickens.

• Like 1

Mice are pests.  No real redeeming value to having them in your home.  So if my cat catches one, I'm not upset about it.  I hardly see how this is different than me leaving out traps.  But this is also not like betting on dog fights or cock fights or whatever animal fights. 

My objection was not so much that the mice were being killed (although I do prefer to let them live, if possible), but that their suffering and death was seen as funny and/or entertaining.

Do you know that if you catch a mice in your house and release it 2 miles away from home, it will return.   The inside of a home is heaven for a mouse.   

No!  And for years we caught mice with humane traps and released them far away. 

Thankfully I have not seen a mouse in quite some time.  That's what having 2 cats in the house is good for probably!

• Like 1

Do you know that if you catch a mice in your house and release it 2 miles away from home, it will return.   The inside of a home is heaven for a mouse.   

That's nuts! They could do another movie:  Homeward Bound- A Mouse's Tale. :)