Menu

explain appeal of The Christmas Story

regentrude

Re the OP movie, I think it's stupid but DH who is from Wisconsin and a little older than me thinks it is hysterically funny.  We saw it as a play one year, and I think he went out and bought the movie at that point.

My favorite Christmas movies are mostly short ones, the Peanuts special, and a German American Lutheran animated one called Red Boots For Christmas which is my absolute favorite EVER (so beautiful), and White Christmas.  Tearjerkers, every one of them.  But It's a Wonderful Life has grown on me over the years, and now I like it a lot.

Ok:

Didn't like Christmas Vacation.  The humor was too base for me.  (Too many overt sex jokes type of humor.  I think those sorts of jokes are often lame and unoriginal and show no cleverness.)

Didn't like Elf.  It felt forced.  I don't like comedies that are forced.  "We're soooo funny!  Look at how funny, funny, funny we are!"  

Love White Christmas.  I can quote the whole thing.  Would watch it year round when I was a teenager.  I had someone make me a prom dress based on the one the woman was wearing in the dancing scene to "The Best Things Happen While You're Dancing."  

Love It's A Wonderful Life.  You have to slog through it, but the payoff is worth every second of feeling bad for George.  He just didn't have the perspective to see how all his sacrifices were worth it--completely, 100% worth it.  

Adore A Christmas Story.  The humor is not sex-based.  It's not potty humor.  The kids are innocent and bright eyed.  The humor isn't forced.  It's that gentle humor of watching your little brother get stuffed into so many coats that he can't put his arms down.  It's the dad winning his major award and it's really a horrible award but the dad won't admit it to himself because he's so happy he won.  The boy writing a typical paper for school and imagining that it's sooooo good that his teacher will dance around the room saying "A plus! plus! plus!" while the kids lift him into the air.  (I don't know about you, but I have those types of daydreams all the time.)  It's the bargaining down the price for the Christmas tree.  It's the dad fighting with that furnace.  The "You'll get worms!" when the dad tries to eat the half-cooked turkey.  We say, "you'll get worms!" a lot around here when someone tries to eat cookie dough or pick at the food before it's served.

I didn't like Holiday Inn as much because I just can't get past the racism in it and the fact that some of the characters are so flighty that they annoy me.  But it's ok.

I love Scrooge.  Not Scrooged with the D.  Scrooge is the musical version of The Christmas Carol and it's just perfect.  The songs add to the show and I love the extra scene that's not in the book where Scrooge dies in Christmas future and goes to hell and Satan turns off the heat in the room he has to work so he can be cold, just like Cratchit was.  

I love a few of the cartoons:  Grinch, Twas the Night Before Christmas, the one that tells how Santa came to be...forgot the name of it.  It's where the burgermeister (spelling???) won't let the kids have toys. Charlie Brown.

It's ok that we're all different.  I have different kinds of friends.  Some of them are complete opposites from me regarding the above movies.  My friendships with them aren't based on shared humor.  They're based on other things--a listening ear, kindness, a hobby or activity we have in common.  And some of my friendships are based on our humor.  For those people, we get together and laugh about things and tell each other jokes.  I have to say, I prefer my time with my friends who share my humor, but there are solid places in my life for my friends who don't share my humor.  

I honestly do not believe that it's a matter of age, generation, culture about whether or not one likes or dislikes those movies.  It's just that what makes us all tick is different.  The things that strike us as funny are different and it's ok.  It's hard to define.

Edited by Garga
  • Like 3

I like The Snowman. : ) That is a nostalgic child's point of view movie I do like.

I think of The Grinch every time I do a hack job sewing something.

Nan

I love The Snowman.  I showed it to the kids last year and they were pretty upset with me because of the ending.  They did not like the ending.  I understand.  I get teary-eyed at the ending, so I get it.  But I still love it.

It was a "major award"!! LOL!

I'm a Generation Xer and so is my DH. We both love the the movie. Our kids (now 13 and 16) do too. I think it has more to do with the kind of humor you enjoy than anything.

Ha! You are right, of course.

I really should know better to post before coffee! :)

• Like 1

It was a major award!

Our city has themed Christmas parades and one year the theme was Christmas at the movies. Ds was in Cub Scouts at the time and his pack did A Christmas Story for their float. They won for best children's float.

Of course we all said they won a Major Award.  :laugh:

• Like 5

Ok:

Didn't like Christmas Vacation.  The humor was too base for me.  (Too many overt sex jokes type of humor.  I think those sorts of jokes are often lame and unoriginal and show no cleverness.)

Didn't like Elf.  It felt forced.  I don't like comedies that are forced.  "We're soooo funny!  Look at how funny, funny, funny we are!"  

Love White Christmas.  I can quote the whole thing.  Would watch it year round when I was a teenager.  I had someone make me a prom dress based on the one the woman was wearing in the dancing scene to "The Best Things Happen While You're Dancing."  

Love It's A Wonderful Life.  You have to slog through it, but the payoff is worth every second of feeling bad for George.  He just didn't have the perspective to see how all his sacrifices were worth it--completely, 100% worth it.  

Adore A Christmas Story.  The humor is not sex-based.  It's not potty humor.  The kids are innocent and bright eyed.  The humor isn't forced.  It's that gentle humor of watching your little brother get stuffed into so many coats that he can't put his arms down.  It's the dad winning his major award and it's really a horrible award but the dad won't admit it to himself because he's so happy he won.  The boy writing a typical paper for school and imagining that it's sooooo good that his teacher will dance around the room saying "A plus! plus! plus!" while the kids lift him into the air.  (I don't know about you, but I have those types of daydreams all the time.)  It's the bargaining down the price for the Christmas tree.  It's the dad fighting with that furnace.  The "You'll get worms!" when the dad tries to eat the half-cooked turkey.  We say, "you'll get worms!" a lot around here when someone tries to eat cookie dough or pick at the food before it's served.

I didn't like Holiday Inn as much because I just can't get past the racism in it and the fact that some of the characters are so flighty that they annoy me.  But it's ok.

I love Scrooge.  Not Scrooged with the D.  Scrooge is the musical version of The Christmas Carol and it's just perfect.  The songs add to the show and I love the extra scene that's not in the book where Scrooge dies in Christmas future and goes to hell and Satan turns off the heat in the room he has to work so he can be cold, just like Cratchit was.  

I love a few of the cartoons:  Grinch, Twas the Night Before Christmas, the one that tells how Santa came to be...forgot the name of it.  It's where the burgermeister (spelling???) won't let the kids have toys. Charlie Brown.

Santa Claus is Coming to Town! With Fred Astaire, Keenan Wynn, Mickey Rooney as Kris. My favorite!

I feel the same way about Holiday Inn vs. White Christmas. So weird: I was thinking about that this morning before I read the thread. 

Garga, we like the 3xact same movies

Me too!  :hurray:

Edited because I forgot how to grammar. 

Edited by Zuzu822
  • Like 1

I don't hate A Christmas Story, but I don't love it as much as some other holiday movies.

We have an ornament that I gave my husband (who does love it) ages ago depicting the tongue-stuck-to-the-pole scene, complete with the sound. My kids haven't seen the movie, but they think the ornament is hysterical.  :lol:

Ah, this one: http://www.hallmarkornaments.com/2010-triple-dog-dare-a-christmas-story

And if you want to hear it, lol:

Edited by Zuzu822

It's a Wonderful Life was like Citizen Kane for me. Some glorified film that didn't appeal to me. For years I'd catch bits and pieces of IAWL. One year I finally got the chance to see the whole thing. Then I was like, "this? This is what everyone loves? Blech." My dad doesn't like the film, either, but I couldn't go by his tastes as he dislikes a lot of things I like lol. 

Maybe we should do a poll to see if people tend to like one (A Christmas Story vs It's a Wonderful Life) and not the other lol.

Nostalgia. The longing for that special thing and what you'd do to get it. The grumpy dad. Kid relationships with each other. Kitschy parental decorating and prideful foibles. They just all ring true to my childhood experience and so for me it's a warm, fuzzy movie. My dd was in the play three years ago. It was very well received i.e. Profitable for our little theater.

• Like 3

Nostalgia. The longing for that special thing and what you'd do to get it. The grumpy dad. Kid relationships with each other. Kitschy parental decorating and prideful foibles. They just all ring true to my childhood experience and so for me it's a warm, fuzzy movie. My dd was in the play three years ago. It was very well received i.e. Profitable for our little theater.

That is so crazy that you can see it as a warm fuzzy movie and I can see it as a depressing, sad movie.

• Like 1

I have never liked It's a Wonderful Life though I tried to. I like the cartoon Grinch, but don't care for the later one. One of my favorite one's that I watch every year is the The Muppet's Christmas Carol.

Oooo!  The Muppet's Christmas Carol is so well done.  I don't really enjoy kid movies anymore, now that I have kids.  (Too much kid stuff for too many years!)  But I still love that one.  

• Like 4

I never liked A Christmas Story.  Dh thought it was ok when he was a kid, but he has no desire to see it again or show it to our children.

The ones we traditionally watch every year are Charlie Brown Christmas, How The Grinch Stole Christmas, The Polar Express (am I the only one with love for this movie?) and The Nativity Story.  We also like It's A Wonderful Life, Elf, and Home Alone.

That is the shape of trees we had during my childhood. No candles though as we would probably have managed to burn the house down somehow.  Many of our decorations were Scandinavian & German, living in an area where those decorations were readily available and my mom liked the look.

We were expected to like the Higbee's part of the Christmas Story.  Other than that, I don't remember much.

Agree, like the Grinch cartoon. Not the live action much.

that is crazy how different people see it. I can't even imagine it being seen as sad. 

It's like 5 min. of happy and the rest was a downer to me.

I watch the cheesy Hallmark Christmas movies. They put me in a better mood.

Edited for clarity: was talking about It's a Wonderful Life as a downer. Sorry, I got mixed up in the thread! lol

Edited by heartlikealion

I'm definitely in the warm and fuzzy camp.  I love A Christmas Story!  Our whole family does.  Love everything about it - the humor, the family, the setting.

I'm amazed that anyone could find it depressing (not being argumentative, just fascinated that people can have such opposite reactions).  To me, it's happy, lighthearted and hilarious.

• Like 4

We really enjoy watching A Christmas Story every year on Christmas afternoon.  Usually, my dh and I are cooking and in and out of the living room while it's on, but there are a few scenes that we can't miss...Ralphie's fight, the visit to Santa, the arrival of the lamp, and all of Christmas morning.  My kids love it too.  It's not our favorite holiday movie, but it's tradition!  

I have never liked It's a Wonderful Life though I tried to. I like the cartoon Grinch, but don't care for the later one. One of my favorite one's that I watch every year is the The Muppet's Christmas Carol.

you'd probably like "we're no angles" with humphrey bogart.  it's very . . . unexpected, but feels good too.  and the hero is named adolph.  (you never see adolph . . . but he warms your heart all the same.)

• Like 1

I'm a boomer - and I don't like it.

eta: I guess it bugs me people keep coming up with reasons "why" someone doesn't like it.   "you're an immigrant" (no), "you're too young" (no), "you're from the wrong culture" (what culture is that?), etc.

I love christmas movies - not that one.

LOL.  I fit the demographic for liking this movie:

Born in 1956, in the US.  (Grandparents were immigrants.)

Lived through snowy winters (Buffalo, NY) and wearing the big snow suit. I don't recall anyone licking a pole, but my brother once got his tongue stuck to a metal part on his sled.

Had a Dad who was a yeller with a heart of gold. 

I just don't like it.  I just find so much of it unpleasant.  Like the Santa and elf, ugh, so awful.  I get it that it's from the kid's perspective. But I just don't like it.  

• Like 3

This boomer has never "gotten" it either.  Admittedly I think I have only watched five or ten minutes of the film.  The acting was horrible which is supposed to be part of the 'charm'.  For me it was painful.

But then most people are probably not keen on my favorite holiday film, Holiday Inn.  Bing and Fred.  Love 'em.

We LOVE "Holiday Inn"!!!

That one we watch every year - it's another movie we quote right along as the film progresses. "How'd he get that far in 5 minutes??"  "The lady must have been willing."

• Like 1

I'm always surprised that there aren't more options around for CHristmas tree styles.  I personally don't like the sheared ones either, but I do like them a little more shaped than a wild tree, though we often do use a wild one.  Even without using candles, I find the branches on the sheared ones are too weak to hold up the heavier ornaments, and you really can't get any into the inside parts of the tree which gives much more depth. 

One year in university I worked at a tree lot in the city, and there were actually quite a few people who wanted a more traditional tree - enough that it would have been reasonable to have a number of trees like that.  The larger trees were about the best bet for that.  My latin professor, who used candles, wanted one like that - he told me they used to remove some branches as well to make a bit more room.  But not everyone has room for a 16' tree.

As for the OP - I like The Christmas Story, though it isn't my favorite.  For me it was also about identifying - not so much with the tacky decorations which weren't a thing in my family, but with the giant snowsuit, and the f-word word bit - I was an inveterate swearer as a kid.  And we used to get kids sticking their tongues to poles now and then - my middle daughter did this as a small child too. 

And to some extent some of the crazy family stuff.  Actually, the movie reminds me a little bit of the song The St Stephen's Day Murders

I actually think that while there are different styles with the North American Christmas, and it can be a little glitzy, that is also in large part much more extreme now than it used to be.  When I was a child, and even when my parents were, while the decorations and such might have seemed more "North American" there were a lot less of them.  Most people just didn't have the money and time for really over the top decorating, or gifts.  My parents were still in the era when you had oranges in your stocking because they were expensive.  And going to church was a big part of Christmas for many which added a non-glitzy element. 

I find today it's pretty mixed actually, so I don't really identify with a ubiquitous experience.  There are people here who have solemn Christmas traditions, who go to shop for special foods at the Christmas market, have fewer gifts, and decorate with greenery and natural materials, and people who have giant blow up things in their yard, a pile of gifts, and so on.  Personally I like both some serious and some more secular popular Christmas music and I don't see why not to like both.

As faor other movies - I like A Child's Christmas in Wales, the Charlie Brown Christmas, The Snowman, the cartoon version of THe Tailor of Glouester, Mr Bean's Christmas movie, Love actually, Bernard and the Genie, the Blackadder Christmas special.  I really dislike the Christmas Vacation movie, and don't much like a lot of the other American Christmas comedies like The Santa Clause.  I don't really like It's a Wonderful Life, it feels a little cheesy to me.

Edited by Bluegoat
  • Like 1

The first time I saw "A Christmas Story" was shortly after it came out.  I was in my early 20s and dating a guy who thought it was hilarious.  But, for me, it hit too close to home.  Plus, there were some serious issues with my relationship with this guy, one of which was his minimizing any hurts of mine.  Years later, I saw the movie again with dh and saw it in a new light ... I got the humor.   I guess I had enough distance from my childhood that I could see these foibles as funny, not tragic.  I remember one time when I was getting ready for a holiday gathering and nothing was going right.  Dh roared "Bumpuses!" and I just burst out laughing.  He made me see that I was taking things too seriously.  We quote from that movie all the time!  (Just like "The Princess Bride")  I really identified with Ralphie ... that running narrative and flights of fancy.  My dad was sort of grumpy and crusty like Ralphie's dad.  I remember having super embarassing Christmas gifts like the bunny costume.  

I grew up with fake trees since my older siblings were all allergic to live trees.  I think our trees looked very much like those in "A Christmas Story."  I couldn't imagine real candles in the home I grew up in ... 3 active older brothers ... fire for sure!!  When dh and I first got married, we got real trees.  But, I would break out in a rash after decorating them so we got a fake one.  But my tree is filled with nostalgic items ... ornaments collected from any trips we took, those made by my kids, ones that I made as a kid, as well as one Hallmark ornament a year reflecting some pop culture thing we identified with.  Decorating the tree is always a trip down memory lane for us.

• Like 1

I love this movie!  I think it is partly because it reminds us of the idiotic things that happened in our childhoods when we were growing up in the 50s and 60s (and, to a lesser degree, in the 70s).  My guess is that American-born and raised would like this movie more than non-native born Americans, and that older Americans (currently in their 50s and 60s) would like it more than younger Americans (currently in their 20s and 30s).  So...nostalgia for a different, uniquely American, time.

Edited by reefgazer

Omigosh, yes!  Sticking tongues to poles, the snowsuits (I grew up in upstate NY, so lots of snow), the tree hunting rigamarole every year...it all brings back memories!

I'm always surprised that there aren't more options around for CHristmas tree styles.  I personally don't like the sheared ones either, but I do like them a little more shaped than a wild tree, though we often do use a wild one.  Even without using candles, I find the branches on the sheared ones are too weak to hold up the heavier ornaments, and you really can't get any into the inside parts of the tree which gives much more depth. 

One year in university I worked at a tree lot in the city, and there were actually quite a few people who wanted a more traditional tree - enough that it would have been reasonable to have a number of trees like that.  The larger trees were about the best bet for that.  My latin professor, who used candles, wanted one like that - he told me they used to remove some branches as well to make a bit more room.  But not everyone has room for a 16' tree.

As for the OP - I like The Christmas Story, though it isn't my favorite.  For me it was also about identifying - not so much with the tacky decorations which weren't a thing in my family, but with the giant snowsuit, and the f-word word bit - I was an inveterate swearer as a kid.  And we used to get kids sticking their tongues to poles now and then - my middle daughter did this as a small child too. 

And to some extent some of the crazy family stuff.  Actually, the movie reminds me a little bit of the song

I actually think that while there are different styles with the North American Christmas, and it can be a little glitzy, that is also in large part much more extreme now than it used to be.  When I was a child, and even when my parents were, while the decorations and such might have seemed more "North American" there were a lot less of them.  Most people just didn't have the money and time for really over the top decorating, or gifts.  My parents were still in the era when you had oranges in your stocking because they were expensive.  And going to church was a big part of Christmas for many which added a non-glitzy element. 

I find today it's pretty mixed actually, so I don't really identify with a ubiquitous experience.  There are people here who have solemn Christmas traditions, who go to shop for special foods at the Christmas market, have fewer gifts, and decorate with greenery and natural materials, and people who have giant blow up things in their yard, a pile of gifts, and so on.  Personally I like both some serious and some more secular popular Christmas music and I don't see why not to like both.

As faor other movies - I like A Child's Christmas in Wales, the Charlie Brown Christmas, The Snowman, the cartoon version of THe Tailor of Glouester, Mr Bean's Christmas movie, Love actually, Bernard and the Genie, the Blackadder Christmas special.  I really dislike the Christmas Vacation movie, and don't much like a lot of the other American Christmas comedies like The Santa Clause.  I don't really like It's a Wonderful Life, it feels a little cheesy to me.

mr. potter wasn't there, and he never gave the money back. (but maybe george not getting arrested would cause him to have a heart attack ;p)

after the telegraph from sam wainright is read about releasing up to $25K (worth $332K+ today) the bank examiner hands over some money for the collection, then turns and joins the party. ernie?(whomever was there to arrest him) rips up the warrant.

the point of the movie is the importance of friendship/people, and how much difference one person can make. george always "does the right thing" - his sense of duty won't let him otherwise. why he stays to help take care of things after his father's death, why he sends his brother to college for four years while he stays to keep the bb&l afloat, why he has his brother go and take the opportunity to work for his own father-in-law, why he doesn't go with sam wainright when he offers him a job - but suggests a place that would benefit people of the town for sam's factory, etc. and when george needs help- everyone he has ever helped, comes to help him.

the quality of the video/screen was always such it was many viewings before I realized it was a model of a bridge he sweeps off the table and destroys in his frustration and feelings of failure. george wanted to build big things - not 'homes'.

Ah, yes. Mea culpa. 'Twas the bank examiner at the end of the movie, not Mr. Potter. Now my memory has been jogged.

I don't get the appeal of it either. I find it annoying. Same with Home Alone.

Love the cartoon How the Grinch Stole Christmas. It's a must watch, with hot chocolate and popcorn, followed by a walk around to look at lights.

Elf- soooo stupid and yet I love it. I first saw it a couple years ago and it cracked me up.

Love watching The Nutcracker ballet or ice skating performances that they normally show at some point.

Never heard of Holiday Inn. Will have to check it out