Menu

Anyone Christmas shopping yet?

KatieJ

I love Costco.  Two trips thru there and we have 11 of 12 grandkids done, plus the last 3 birthdays of the year.

I still have lots and lots of sewing to do, ( they each get something handmade by Grandma) and we have all the parents to shop for, but I love Costco. 

One stop shopping.

• Like 1

Wow, good for you!  I haven't started yet but have been thinking about it.  I need to go to Costco.  I haven't been in a while so it would be good to see what they have these days, in preparation for the holidays.

I have my youngest child's gift and my nephew's and niece's gift. Still have my other 3 kids, mil,fil, dh's grandmothers, and dh's cousin's 2 kids. I am hoping dh will be ok with us not exchanging this year because the budget is tighter with a baby coming in January and I don't want more stuff to deal with the week before baby comes.

I have two birthdays to shop for before Christmas.  Both are in mid Dec.  At least this year I have some better ideas for presents for me.  Last year was difficult for me to think what I wanted.  This year I need a new phone (big present from DH is what I am thinking) and from the kids I want lots of self watering globes.  I got two last year and I love them and want more. 

• Like 1

I've got a couple things on my list (amazon cart) for specific people.    last year this time, was already shopping. . . . .  so, I guess I need to get a move on.  I prefer to be close to done around thanksgiving. then I can do other things.  like decorate  the tree.

(I have two birthdays between now and christmas.  so, It'll be a combined birthday/house warming.)

I have some stocking stuffers for DD I picked up at back to school. She showed me a few things at hobby lobby she's like. The older boys are moved out and will get cash for whatever they need. I'm waiting to see if Ds 16 leaves me anything to get him now that he's working.

We only do stockings for Christmas, so in a way that's great because the number and size and price of gifts is rather limited. On the other hand, those limitations make it hard to find high quality, non-junky gifts. I haven't bought anything, but I'm trying to brainstorm.

For my almost 3 y.o.:

Cloth butterfly wings

Lacing Cards

Dazzler Ribbon

Hand Puppets

Baby Doll

Glow Bracelets

For my DH:

DIY Desk Catapult from ThinkGeek

A real fossil of some kind (probably a trilobite)

New card game for us to play together (not sure which one yet)

External phone battery

For myself (I do all the Christmas shopping):

Maybe this olive leaf ring if I'm willing to splurge (I never buy jewelry but I think it's so pretty)

Or maybe a Kavu sling bag

Dark chocolate

???

• Like 1

I bit. I grab stuff for my now-adult kids as I find things. Twins just had a b'day (25!) and I had too many dvds for one of them, so saved some for Xmas. Just ordered each man a funny t-shirt this morning, too. Got a free photobook coupon with my Kohls bill so one of my folks will get a Shutterfly photo book, too.

I have. Apparently, I really jumped the gun this year - I started shopping in September!!! I have bought everything for our extended families. Also, I am making a lot of gifts, so all the necessary items are bought for those gifts. The creation of said items, however, is a little behind. I am knitting 4 pairs of socks, and I am done with 1 1/2 pairs. We are also giving homemade soap that is supposed to cure 4-6 weeks, so I need to get on the last few batches of that. Basically, we'll have the kids left. 

Yes, I have a spread sheet listing most of the stuff I have bought and prices and budget goal. I've done most of my shopping online so I just try to update the sheet right away when I've got the prices viewable in another window. We've got a tighter budget this year but I consider it a fun challenge.

Mostly I've shopped for kids. I scored some good deals at Kohl's and The Children's Place. Done some shopping on Amazon and found some bargains at my local Walmart ($2 for a set of color wonder markers and paper!). I bought a few Hallmark ornaments (2015 models?) on sale a couple months ago. I look at camelcamelcamel to see what prices to expect on certain items.

I actually want to do some wrapping this weekend and take the wrapped items to our family at Thanksgiving to store there. To save on space in the car we should probably order the remainder to be sent directly to their homes and wrap when we arrive a few days before Christmas if not during Thanksgiving.

I've been looking online for ideas with mason jars. If I have time I want to do these for the lids and buy a set of the lids with straws so it can convert from a storage jar to a drinking glass. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B010NHMZR0/ref=pd_luc_rh_sim_01_01_t_img_lh?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I just saw you can buy other types of lids and convert mason jars to other things, but that might be more expensive.

I haven't really started, but I need to. I try to spread the Christmas shopping over three credit-card cycles. I did get a frame for 3 5x7 photos of the girls for their grandparents, and I have a few stocking stuffers. I could get some of the gift cards purchased this month. November is the big shopping month here, particularly Black Friday. I have no ideas yet for "big" gifts for the girls.

I'm trying to get a jump on it. I just bought something for dh and I am looking for the best price on Hunter Wellies which are on my dd's list. I also already bought something to put into a stocking for my mom. :)

Costco usually has them in the fall, I believe. They're $70 and available in a few colors.

It's definitely time for me to start thinking about this!  Let me get past tomorrow (kid's birthday) and I'll start.

I already have one idea - some planter thingies that my kids' school is pushing as part of their annual fundraiser.  I'm feeling pressured to buy something, so I those will be Christmas gifts for several kids in my extended family this year.  :P

Then there is the nut fundraiser for scouts.  I am tempted to do the buy-out, but then my kids will look like slackers, so ... lots of folks will be getting nuts and similar again this year!

And I am a big buyer of gift cards, so people can have what they really want / need.

As part of my kids' cooking curriculum, we may do some baked goods for the fam also.  Perhaps I should figure out a way to combine it with some sort of craft.  (I am NOT crafty, but my poor kids shouldn't be deprived, right?)

I got a couple stocking stuffers when a local Office Depot was going out of business, otherwise, no. I have no idea what they want and we are doing a huge vacation in December that will be the bulk of our gift to them. Disney Cruise, Disney World, and Universal Studios, so gifts will be light this year.

Not yet.  I miss the days when my kids were happy with Fisher Price stuff.  It just gets more expensive and more complicated.  They both are now asking if they can just have money.  Which I suppose that would make things easy, but then that's no fun for me.  I don't get to see them open stuff.  I get excited by that!!!!  That just feels like a business transaction.  *sigh*

Yes.  Just waiting to see what I am going to pull the trigger on.

We don't buy for anyone but our kids which is nice.  We have tried to not boy things any more.  Even last year we went way down and the few things we got them they haven't touched.  They just have too much.

So I dont think we will buy them anything this year.  They do get things from relatives unless we can cut that out.

But we buy experience things for them. For 2 years we have gotten trips for christmas and their birthdays.  Hopefully we will do that again.  

Tickets to shows, memberships, and maybe some classes.

• Like 1

It's definitely time for me to start thinking about this!  Let me get past tomorrow (kid's birthday) and I'll start.

I already have one idea - some planter thingies that my kids' school is pushing as part of their annual fundraiser.  I'm feeling pressured to buy something, so I those will be Christmas gifts for several kids in my extended family this year.  :p

Then there is the nut fundraiser for scouts.  I am tempted to do the buy-out, but then my kids will look like slackers, so ... lots of folks will be getting nuts and similar again this year!

And I am a big buyer of gift cards, so people can have what they really want / need.

As part of my kids' cooking curriculum, we may do some baked goods for the fam also.  Perhaps I should figure out a way to combine it with some sort of craft.  (I am NOT crafty, but my poor kids shouldn't be deprived, right?)

Maybe you can make a trail mix with those nuts and put it in a decorative jar or such. The craft can be the container.

Sort of. I've been enthralled by healing spices and herbs as of late and am AMAZED at what I'm learning.!

Therefore, I'm pretty sure I'm sending ALL distant family black cumin (not the same as regular cumin at all).

For friends and family here, I'm planning on making tinctures, teas, or vinegars. Hmm, guess I better plan that out

pretty quick! Tea blends are easy enough to make but the other concoctions take 3 or more weeks to make!

Not yet.  I miss the days when my kids were happy with Fisher Price stuff.  It just gets more expensive and more complicated.  They both are now asking if they can just have money.  Which I suppose that would make things easy, but then that's no fun for me.  I don't get to see them open stuff.  I get excited by that!!!!  That just feels like a business transaction.  *sigh*

Not sure why, but I don't get much excitement out of my kids opening surprise gifts.  I assume it's because I've missed the mark more than once with my eldest, and she wasn't super diplomatic about it.  Of course I still try every year, but I don't get my hopes up too much.

• Like 1

I'm buying new good quality pillows for all of us. Sounds lame, but we have too much stuff & really need new pillows!

Teen 1 maybe also a new computer desk chair.

Teen2 summer camp swag & dance studio sweatshirt

littles- um, they need less, not more! Getting a membership to the kids museum so we can hang there when waiting for the big kids to get out of activities, & a couple of books (my mom already bought them games & a few toys too)

This. Although fortunately, my kids love fun or funny t-shirts, so I always have those to fall back on (good deals on Black Friday!) and are in a few fandoms, so I can always bulk up the under-the-tree part with Supernatural/Steven Universe/Parks & Rec goodies.

Edited by ILiveInFlipFlops
  • Like 1