Menu

Tell me something fun to do in California

mommyoffive

We have been to Cali 3 times in the last 18 months, but we are going again in a few months.  So I would like to find something fun to do. 

Here is what we have done already.

Disney Land 2 times

Legoland for 3 days

Seaworld

Space shuttle in LA

La Jolla Cove 2 different times to see the seals

Joshua 2 different times hiked and went rock climbing

Road trip to a bunch of the National Parks   (joshua tree, death valley, Sequioa and kings canyon, Grand canyon, painted desert, petrified forest

Ocean Days (including seeing tide pools)

USS Midway in San Diego

Aerial Tramway in Palm Springs

The San Diego Zoo and wildlife park

I don't have any ideas for this upcoming trip.  I want to think of some neat and special things to do to get excited about.

Hit me with anything you can think of.

• Like 1

Can you go north?    Lots to do there.  Your OP doesn't say SoCal only, but if that's what you meant, stop reading because I won't be of any help.  If NorCal is possible, then:

Coast road up to Big Sur and beyond

Monterey

Santa Cruz/Capitola

San Francisco

Point Reyes

Napa wine country

Mendocino coast all the way up to the Oregon border

Inland - gold country (wine there too, if that is of interest)

• Like 1

La Brea Tar Pits and museum

Discovery Cube Science museum in Orange county

Balboa park and museums in San Diego

Coronado Island/ Hotel Del Coronado/Old Town San Diego- take the Old Town Trolley tour from Old Town San Diego to Coronado

Julian gold mine tours

Knott's Berry Farm and Mrs. Knott's chicken dinner

Universal Studios

• Like 2

If you don't want to day trip (I understand 2 of mine get carsick big time), then Knotts, Le Brea Tar Pits, Discovery Science Center (the cube in Santa Ana, great for under 12, shoot, DH had fun), Bowers Kidseum (great for the under 7 crowd), Griffith Observatory and Natural History Museum, the LA zoo is there too, but would probably disappoint after San Diego.

Long Beach Aquarium? Bus tour of Hollywood? Depends what you like.

There is Hadley's date farm. They sell the BEST date milkshakes. It is a bit of a drive, but near some MAJOR outlet malls.

Are the trips to the islands rough?  Someone told me the trip will make you sick.  Any thoughts?

It probably depends on the day, but when we took our trip, none of the 4 of us got sick (and my kids hadn't ever been on a boat at sea before).  I bought some Dramamine just in case, but we didn't need it.  It seemed fairly smooth to me, but I don't have much experience to compare it to.

Edited by KS_

I am very susceptible to motion sickness -- I've done the boat out to the Channel Islands twice without getting sick but I do think I took Bonine both times. :) I did get SOAKED on one of them - but that was the trip where we found ourselves in the midst of a pod of about a hundred dolphins -- they were EVERYWHERE and fantastic... so I didn't mind so much.

• Like 1

We haven't been to Yosemite.  That is a thought that I was thinking about.  We have seen the Sequoias though.  I am thinking of the weather up there at that time of year. 

We just got back from a day drive through Yosemite last week.  It was getting chilly at night, but still warm during the day.  Just in case anyone is planning a trip there and wanting to see the giant Sequoias in the park - the Mariposa Grove (which I read has a wonderful hike through them) is closed and will be until next summer.  My son and I were really looking forward to that and quite disappointed when we found that out.  We opted for Yosemite instead of Sequoia National Forest because of the continued fires near/in the forest (my dh's family live near there and recommended we not go that direction and drive through Yosemite instead).

Yosemite is amazing and nothing like Sequoia so I would highly recommend that but the drive would likely make your son car sick, it's fairly windy up into the park (although not as much so as Sequoia). A lot of the other suggestions are great as well though, Santa Barbara, Catalina, San Diego has so much, the Getty, the Tar Pits, Discovery Museum and Universal and Knott's. And if you're considering Yosemite keep Monterey in mind because that would be less windy and not much farther, the aquarium is fun and the weather in the fall is actually pretty nice most of the time (though can be chilly). Another fun thing that isn't too far is the Ronald Reagan Presidential museum, they have a fun Christmas display with trees each year that begins in November and they also have a former Air Force One plane to tour as well as a Marine One and other things. It is in Simi Valley, so not far from LA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I am very susceptible to motion sickness -- I've done the boat out to the Channel Islands twice without getting sick but I do think I took Bonine both times. :) I did get SOAKED on one of them - but that was the trip where we found ourselves in the midst of a pod of about a hundred dolphins -- they were EVERYWHERE and fantastic... so I didn't mind so much.

Thanks for that.  I get motion sickness easy.  

We have seen some whales already out there, but not dolphins (in the wild)  that would be neat.

Los Angeles area

general

- Bob Baker Marionette show

- Corona del Mar state beach -- Newport Beach area

- Shipwreck Beach hike -- south of Santa Monica, just north of Long Beach area

- Santa Monica Pier

amusement parks

Pacific Park -- amusement park on the beach at Santa Monica

- Knotts Berry Farm  -- big focus on thrill rides, so not as much there for kids under 12

- Universal Studios

museums

- Star Eco Station: Environmental Science Museum & Exotic Wildlife Rescue Facility

- Natural History Museum

Discovery Cube LA -- hands-on kids science museum

- California Science Center

- Aquarium of the Pacific

Griffith Observatory and Griffith Park

- La Brea Tar Pits and Museum  -- small/doesn't take long, so plan other things to do in the area

- Travel Town Museum -- small/doesn't take long, so plan other things to do in the area

tourist-y attractions

Hollywood Wax Museum

- Medieval Times - dinner and jousting show

- Hollywood Walk of Fame and watch a movie at the TCL Chinese Theater (the old Grauman's Chinese "movie palace theater")

San Diego area

- Sunny Jim's Cave

- Balboa Park -- gardens, museums, attractions, performing arts

- San Diego Natural History Museum

- Model Railroad Museum

- Fleet Science Center

north of LA

Hearst Castle tour

Cabazon Dinosaurs

- Six Flags Magic Mountain -- big focus on thrill rides, so not as much there for kids under 12

Edited by Lori D.

The Getty museum is amazing!

This I what I was going to suggest. I love that place. And if you go, make sure you talk with some who knows how to "do" the Getty. I've only been a couple of times and feel like I've only scratched the surface of the Getty.

Ah, but which Getty? Because we have two. 

The original (but expanded) Getty in Malibu, which is styled on a Roman Villa that houses the classical antiquities of Greece and Rome and the newer and larger Getty Brentwood.

Both are pretty cool, and especially for "classically oriented people" (as I know all good WTMers are :D) Getty Malibu has appeal. And it is right by the beach.

To the OP,  refrain from calling this "Cali" or you risk being frog-marched across the state border.

Bill

• Like 1

Kidspace children's museum in Pasadena http://www.kidspacemuseum.org/

Noah's Ark (close to Brentwood Getty) http://www.skirball.org/noahs-ark

Malibu Getty (my 7 and 9 year old like this Getty more than the other one)

Long Beach Aquarium (pet a shark, see some penguins, touch a jelly, hand feed lorikeets nectar) http://www.aquariumofpacific.org

Then go whale watching

To the OP,  refrain from calling this "Cali" or you risk being frog-marched across the state border.

Bill

So true!! You can easily spot tourists when they say this. :D

I love the Getty in Brentwood! If you're not staying close to there, however, the traffic on the 405 is a nightmare!

So true!! You can easily spot tourists when they say this. :D

I love the Getty in Brentwood! If you're not staying close to there, however, the traffic on the 405 is a nightmare!

With no traffic (say right now) I could drive to Getty Brentwood in 10 minutes. Other times? Not so much.

Bill

With no traffic (say right now) I could drive to Getty Brentwood in 10 minutes. Other times? Not so much.

Bill

Yep...I lived in Orange County almost my entire life. My son went to college for a year at UCLA. Forty miles from my house. On Sunday evenings when I would take him back after a weekend at home, it would take less than an hour to get there. On Friday afternoons? At least a two hour drive. That's why he would take the train home on a Friday and I would give him a ride back on Sunday night. :D

• 2 weeks later...

I still can't decide.  I need to get this planned fast. 

Dh wants to go up to Kings Canyon and Sequioa again.   I am not so sure.  The drive is more than I want to do with the baby.   But also I want to be warm.  That is the start of cool weather here so I would like to soak up some warmth before I come back to late fall and winter.