Menu

What are YOU reading??

I just finished reading "The Five People You Meet in Heaven" by Mitch Albom. This was the first book I've read by this author. I think he's fantastic. He's a new favorite author for me. The next book I'm going to read by him is "Tuesdays with Morrie". I hope it's as good as the last one.

So what's everyone else reading?:001_huh:

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Simon Scarrow's series of historical fiction set in Roman times. Currently into The Eagle's Prey. Also rereading O'Brian's Treason's Harbor as I (again) work my way through the Aubrey/Maturin books. I have the latest Elizabeth Peters Vicki Bliss book awaiting attention, too.

"Atlas Shrugged".

I figured now was a good time.

Oh wow....my husband just finished that one as an audio book. He downloaded it from Librovox. It was the full unabridged edition. I admire you....:lol: That is not a short book....:001_huh:

I just finished reading the The Eyre Affair series by Jasper Fforde. They are around 350+ pages. These are great. I loved them.

My daughter is reading them now.

I just finished reading the The Eyre Affair series by Jasper Fforde. They are around 350+ pages. These are great. I loved them.

My daughter is reading them now.

Details please--haven't heard of this--Jane Eyre related?

I did a light read--"Remember Me?" by Sophie Kinsella--from the Shopaholic series (I adore her! Hey, I was on pain meds! I've progressed from Archie comics!!). It was wonderful!

I keep coming back and back to that book. It reflects a deep Christian spirituality, meditative, truly contending with modern life, with roots in Judaism and in historic Christianity that I don't often find in contemporary Christian writing. It's so well written and it always makes me think, and pray.

What I am not reading:

"The Coming Economic Earthquake" by Larry Burkett. I already read that book. A long time ago. I do not need to remind myself about what that book says. Nope, I do not. I'm doing all I can, and that is all I can do. That is all.

I'm finishing up Pilgrim's Progress (for my 888 list), and just starting Gary Chapman's 5 Love Languages for Teenagers. I have a 13 yo dd. 'Nuff said. :0

I also finished up Kristen Heitzmann's The Edge of Recall - she is one of my favorites. That was my "fun" book for the week!

For book club, I'm getting ready to start The Begotten by Lisa T. Bergren. Looks very different.

Armadale, by Wilkie Collins. I finally got around to reading The Woman in White and The Moonstone last year and just loved them. Unfortunately, they are pretty much the only Collins books you find on most bookstore shelves. So, I've been scrounging at the library (where it's tough to find a copy that has print large enough to be readable), and my husband even printed from Project Gutenberg and had bound one of the titles I especially wanted.

Anyway, I'm thoroughly enjoying this one.

Details please--haven't heard of this--Jane Eyre related?

I did a light read--"Remember Me?" by Sophie Kinsella--from the Shopaholic series (I adore her! Hey, I was on pain meds! I've progressed from Archie comics!!). It was wonderful!

This what the Wall Street Journal says about this author's book.

"Filled with clever wordplay, literary allusion and bibliowit, The Eyre Affair combines elements of Monty Python, Harry Potter, Stephen Hawking and Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Its quirky charm is all its own."

It does have the occasional cuss word in the book. The D word and BS. That being said, I still allowed my 14 year old daughter to read them. They have heard worse than that from sister....:glare:

Here is the description from the back of the book.

" Meet Thursday Next. She's part Bridget Jones, part Nancy Drew, and part Dirty Harry.

Welcome to a surreal version of Great Britain, circa 1985, where time travel is routine, cloning is a reality (dodos are the resurrected pet of choice), and literature is taken very, very seriously. England is a virtual police state where an aunt can get lost (literally) in a Wordsworth poem, militant Baconians heckle performances of Hamlet, and forging Byronic verse is a punishable offense. All this is business as usual for Thursday Next, renowned Special Operative in literary detection, until someone begins kidnapping characters from works of literature. When Jane Eyre is plucked from the pages of Bronte's novel, Thursday must track down the villain

and enter the novel herself to avert a heinous act of literary homicide."

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/The-Eyre-Affair/Jasper-Fforde/e/9780142001806

http://www.jasperfforde.com/index2.html

For my homeschooling book group (that's reading "the classics" starting with young adult stuff and moving up): Anne of Green Gables. I've read it at least a couple of times before, but not for a long time.

And then, because I like to feel overwhelmed by obligations, I started a politics/political history book club on another board I post on, and we're reading The American Political Tradition & The Men Who Made It by Richard Hofstadter.

The Likeness by Tana French-atmospheric mystery ,needs editing...

A Cornel West Reader by Cornel West-great teacher and thinker

Habits of the Heart by Robert Bellah-poli sci-community rather than self oriented...been there done that but well written.

The Black Hand by Will Thomas-Holmes pastiche great stuff if that is your obsession it is certainly one of mine-

Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim by David Sedaris(on cd he is a riot)

Liberty by Garrison Keillor Soon I really need to get back to reading books with dd ,this winter Les Miserables by V.Hugo and Democracy in America by de Tocqueville are up for discussion. Great ideas to read this year particularly.

I'm still reading John Adams, by David McCullough.

I'm really enjoying it, but it's taking me forever to get through it because I only have time to read a little at night before bed. This educatin' children business takes up far too much time. :glare:

You can say that again. ;)

I've been thinking about re-reading it lately, myself.

I'm only about 60 pages into it (what is that, like 1/5000 of the book?) but the one thing I wasn't expecting is how lovely the writing is. Its actually totally engaging.

I just started House of Wolves by Matt Bronleewe.

I stopped as soon I received an ARC of Dark Pursuit by Brandilyn Collins in the mail yesterday. I finished reading a short time ago - it's excellent. :thumbup:

Back to House of wolves.:001_smile:

Robin

I'm only about 60 pages into it (what is that, like 1/5000 of the book?) but the one thing I wasn't expecting is how lovely the writing is. Its actually totally engaging.

:iagree: It really is a great book. I loved reading it. Okay, now you've gone and done it! I'm officially putting Atlas Shrugged back on my reading list! :tongue_smilie:

:iagree: It really is a great book. I loved reading it. Okay, now you've gone and done it! I'm officially putting Atlas Shrugged back on my reading list! :tongue_smilie:

Oh good! If it slows down and I need a push to keep reading I know who to ask!

Just read Cry, the Beloved Country by Alan Paton. What an amazing, educational book.

This is one of my all-time favourites - it is amazing, isn't it?

I just finished The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People. This would go on my top 5 life-changing books list, if I had one. :001_smile:

Also finishing up Writing With Ease and will start The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins, as recommended by so many of you... I hope it lives up to its billing!

Well I finally finished Innocent Traitor last night! Finally. I've been in a reading slump and taking forever to finish a book. This one was about Lady Jane Grey. It was pretty good.

Still reading I Capture the Castle, but I haven't been actively reading it...I have a bookmark in it and haven't picked it up in weeks, now I need to get going.

Homeschooling with a Meek and Quiet Spiritby Terri Maxwell

The Facts of Life and Other Lessons My Father Taught Me by Lisa Whelchel (a reread, I find it very inspiring)

To the children I'm reading Trumpet of the Swan and God King