Menu

What are YOU reading??

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This what the Wall Street Journal says about this author's book.

"Filled with clever wordplay, literary allusion and bibliowit, The Eyre Affair combines elements of Monty Python, Harry Potter, Stephen Hawking and Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Its quirky charm is all its own."

It does have the occasional cuss word in the book. The D word and BS. That being said, I still allowed my 14 year old daughter to read them. They have heard worse than that from sister....:glare:

Here is the description from the back of the book.

" Meet Thursday Next. She's part Bridget Jones, part Nancy Drew, and part Dirty Harry.

Welcome to a surreal version of Great Britain, circa 1985, where time travel is routine, cloning is a reality (dodos are the resurrected pet of choice), and literature is taken very, very seriously. England is a virtual police state where an aunt can get lost (literally) in a Wordsworth poem, militant Baconians heckle performances of Hamlet, and forging Byronic verse is a punishable offense. All this is business as usual for Thursday Next, renowned Special Operative in literary detection, until someone begins kidnapping characters from works of literature. When Jane Eyre is plucked from the pages of Bronte's novel, Thursday must track down the villain

and enter the novel herself to avert a heinous act of literary homicide."

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/The-Eyre-Affair/Jasper-Fforde/e/9780142001806

http://www.jasperfforde.com/index2.html

Thanks, G, this sounds great!!

I just finished reading "The Five People You Meet in Heaven" by Mitch Albom. This was the first book I've read by this author. I think he's fantastic. He's a new favorite author for me. The next book I'm going to read by him is "Tuesdays with Morrie". I hope it's as good as the last one.

So what's everyone else reading?:001_huh:

I loved this book. Mitch Albom is wonderful. I'm battling my way through "The Count of Monte Cristo" - on audio, no less. (It's about 40 hours long). I do like it a lot. My other reads include some "Victoria" decorating books and I am re-reading "Protecting the Gift" by Gavin deBecker.

Just finished David Baldacci's newest book (release date Nov. 4 but a friend works for Time Warner and got me an early release copy! :D), Divine Justice. If you are a David Baldacci fan, this book is one of his best yet!!!!

Just started Right Brained Children in a Left Brained World: Unlocking the Potential of your ADD Child and it is the best book I've have read so far on ADD/ADHD. I have always know so many of the "whats" behind my child's seemingly strange behavior but this book has been the first to explain the "whys" and give real/tangible solutions!

"Five people you meet in Heaven" was a great book! Better than I was expecting. I'm afraid I do have a tendency to judge a book by it's cover...

At the moment I'm reading "Playing Chopsticks," a travel story of China. It's nice to get a peek into places I'm never going to get to see for real.

Next on the list is a book on paganism. The religion threads from the other week inspired me. Oh, and a "Raw food diet" book. I've been meaning to look into that for a while.

:)

Rosie

Edited by Rosie_0801

Details please--haven't heard of this--Jane Eyre related?

I did a light read--"Remember Me?" by Sophie Kinsella--from the Shopaholic series (I adore her! Hey, I was on pain meds! I've progressed from Archie comics!!). It was wonderful!

Oh, you HAVE to read the Jasper Fforde series. They are just wonderful!!

The Forgotten Man by Amity Shlaes is a history of the Great Depression that's critical of FDR. IMHO, it's a bit too detailed to be an enjoyable read, but it's definitely timely.

The Flaneur is an essay about Paris. If you're a francophile, this book's for you.

Comforts of a Muddy Sunday is the latest Isabel Dalhousie book by Alexander McCall Smith. I just got it from the library, but I've loved all the others in the series.

Phinn is the James Herriot of English schoolteachers. Humorous, light reading.

And slowly trying to finish The Shaping of a Life: A Spiritual Landscape by Phyllis Tickle. Tickle has a captivating, erudite gift of composition.

I've moaned and groaned over my lack of time and alertness to read since I began teaching in a traditional classroom. The time I do have usually is limited to the few minutes in bed before I fall asleep with book in hand. :sleep:

In school, I am reading with the children Genevieve Foster's The World of Columbus and Sons and Abraham Lincoln's World in 7th and 8th grades. This is slower going with them than I anticipated. Also reading Rifles for Watie, The Hobbit, and soon to begin Pilgrim's Progress.

The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett

For the Children's Sake by Susan Schaffer McCauley

Various Romance novels:blush: (I always have several going at once)

A book I read this summer that I couldn't put down was, The Book Thief.

It is my current recommendation to anyone that asks. I LOVED it!!!

To Live is Christ - by Beth Moore. I haven't been able to get into it like some of her other stuff I've read but I still keep trying.

I did that as a Bible study with the workbook and really liked it. You might try that if you still can't get into it in book form. I really liked Get out of that Pit. I read it last summers. Talk about a kick in the pants!

I am one of those people who can't sleep without reading...so I have three great feminist science fiction writers that I love. They are Marion Zimmer Bradley, Anne McCafrey, and Mercedes Lackey. My only problem is that I read faster than they write. I have run out of Bradley and Lackey books. Am currently trying to figure out what else I can read of McCafrey. Luckily, McCafrey's son has started writing of the same world.:001_smile:

http://www.amazon.com/Kristin-Lavransdatter-Wreath-Penguin-Classics/dp/0141180412/ref=pd_bxgy_b_text_c

In Kristin Lavransdatter (1920-1922), Sigrid Undset interweaves political, social, and religious history with the daily aspects of family life to create a colorful, richly detailed tapestry of Norway during the fourteenth-century. The trilogy, however, is more than a journey into the past. Undset's own life-her familiarity with Norse sagas and folklore and with a wide range of medieval literature, her experiences as a daughter, wife, and mother, and her deep religious faith-profoundly influenced her writing. Her grasp of the connections between past and present and of human nature itself, combined with the extraordinary quality of her writing, sets her works far above the genre of "historical novels."

I think it was the movie that put Rufus Sewell on the map, and Ian McKellen just smokes (of fire and brimstone)

I wonder if Rufus is any relation to Anne?

I'm so uninformed about film.

Do you mean the author of "Black Beauty"? Is it an old film? Is it a young McKellan?