Menu

What fun school supplies are you buying?

lanabug

My kids always feel a bit left out that we don't buy new school supplies every year. This year I splurged and bought them freezable lunch bags that we can take to park days, but I'd like to get some sort of cool or unusual school supply that will be a treat for the first day of school.

Any ideas?  My kids are 10 and 8.  

Lana

I bought a lot of index cards and a new scientific calculator. I am SO exciting.

Maybe some cool mechanical pencils? Oh and we got London coloring books from the $1 spot at Target ($3 actually) which should be fun with our British History/British Literature focused curricula this year -- and good when we're listening to Audio books.

I tried to buy some loose leaf paper for myself, but the nearly $10 for shipping on paper that was less than $2 kind of killed it for me.

I'll probably just go visit Wal-Mart later and see what they have, hopefully it'll have some good deals.

For fun though, maybe some scented markers? The Mr. Sketch ones were always my favorite growing up.

I'm thinking I need to buy some hacky sacks to throw at the kids when I notice them off-task and I'm not within poking distance.

How fun is that?! :lol:

The most exciting we're getting this year are new chairs for the school desks. I gave each kid a budget and a 10-mile radius of where I'm willing to drive. My daughter is eyeing a chair made of rooster fabric from Pier 1, and my son wants a vintage orange pleather chair from Craigslist. It's really messing with my ridiculous need for design control and color coordination LOL. I can't tell if they're being serious or just messing with me.

• Like 6

I just found out that in my boys' new school, they don't give out the school lists until after school starts!  UGH!  I really don't want to go shopping after school starts. 

So, I have no idea.

In the meantime, I am getting loose leaf paper, pens, tissue, just some of the staples.

We bought some fun new binders, I'm trying to be more organized this year since we have to do reviews here, it might make it easier. Each kid got to pick out their own writing pens and pencils. I did get a neat wall hanging folder holder thing, we aren't terribly exciting. I think pretty notebooks are my favorite "fun" thing with colored pens.

My kids felt that way too when they were young because I bought stuff throughout the year so we didn't need to go out during some special sale once a year. So one year I bought them plastic pencil boxes and several packages of stickers and let them decorate their own boxes. I still use one of my dd's pencil boxes. It holds all my small stuff I need next to my sofa. :)

• Like 2

Oldest Ds is getting:

degree and percent fraction rings

sand timers

anglegs

Little Ds is getting a light table and accessories:

transparent c-rods

transparent tangrams

transparent geometric shape tiles

transparent letter construction set

transparent geoboards

We already have all the paper, pens, binders, art supplies. I have to be creative now to find new school supplies.

• Like 2

Ours go to school once a week. We needed quite a bit this year since stuff was old/torn and needed to be replaced. Backpacks, lunchboxes, a folder, notebook and pencil box for each (thry went and chose instead of mom coming home with it, which made it more fun for them). We also got a large box of crayons, twistable crayons, dry erase board for each. Some activities to hopefully keep toddler occupied instead of watching TV...we spent way too much in school supplies this year :P

I am a school supplies junkie. Ever since I was a kid, there's something exciting about school and office supplies. So really, any of it is fun for me.

My DS 5 couldn't care less about the promise a blank spiral notebook holds. He did, however, get excited about a new set of paints and his Ticonderoga pencils.

Sent from my HTCD200LVW using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Little Ds is getting a light table and accessories:

transparent c-rods

transparent tangrams

transparent geometric shape tiles

transparent letter construction set

transparent geoboards

We will be making the low-budget version of a light table using a transparent storage bin and a string of battery-powered Christmas lights. My kids love the light table at the local children's museum, so I'm pretty excited to recreate a version of it at home. 

• Like 1

The usual paper and school supplies color coded by child. Makes it easier to see who the pencil losing culprit is.   ;)  A super fancy, extremely expensive calculator for dd#3. 

My most exciting find...a dish drainer!!  http://www.scholastic.com/teachers/sites/default/files/posts/u133/images/dish_rack_organizer.jpg

Eta: not my pic, just an idea of how it will be used. :)

Edited by Excelsior! Academy
  • Like 5

We have a lot of the stuff we need &/or will have to find out what is needed once school starts. (We used to homeschool, but my dd is entering college this year & my ds is in a public high school.)

I did buy some extra Ticonderoga Black pencils (ds' favorite) & ds ordered some cool/unique/fun t-shirts. (He likes designs you can find only online at places like teeturtle, Tee Fury, & redbubble.) The funky tees are sort-of his "signature" thing.