Menu

Lies People Told Me

fairfarmhand

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Childbirth isn't very painful.

If you use cloth diapers, your baby will never get a rash.

Fasting cures all cancer. ( Sure. Fast until you starve, and by George that danged cancer will be gone.) Also ionized water cures cancer, essential oils cure cancer, flax seed cures cancer,...but my favorite was that diffusing essential oils will cause dad's lung to grow back!!!

Sex is yucky.

Nice girls do not wear short skirts.

Girls can't do math.

Girls do not like science.

Oh there is a ton! I spent a few months in "fundie land" so there is a truckload of falsehoods I heard.

• Like 8

If you just teach them to enjoy reading, they will educate themselves starting somewhere around middle school and you won't be the teacher anymore.

If you do Lamaze, labor won't hurt much. You just breathe through it.

We live in the greatest nation on earth.

• Like 8

I'm still pretty damned bitter (that's right..used the real swear word...that's how angry I am about it) about the hypnobabies people and their promise of a pain free birth. You can ask my midwife, I spent that whole labor just ANGRY that it hurt. The next birth, and the one before it, I handled the pain fine because it was just pain, not pain AND betrayal! 

• Like 8

If you just teach them to enjoy reading, they will educate themselves starting somewhere around middle school and you won't be the teacher anymore.

If you do Lamaze, labor won't hurt much. You just breathe through it.

We live in the greatest nation on earth.

That last one. ..yep

Edited by Denise in Florida
  • Like 2

Childbirth isn't very painful.

If you use cloth diapers, your baby will never get a rash.

Fasting cures all cancer. ( Sure. Fast until you starve, and by George that danged cancer will be gone.) Also ionized water cures cancer, essential oils cure cancer, flax seed cures cancer,...but my favorite was that diffusing essential oils will cause dad's lung to grow back!!!

Sex is yucky.

Nice girls do not wear short skirts.

Girls can't do math.

Girls do not like science.

Oh there is a ton! I spent a few months in "fundie land" so there is a truckload of falsehoods I heard.

Yikes.  I have never heard of any of these.

• Like 2

That my children would be perfect if I homeschool.

ETA: I was fed that platter of untruth twenty years ago. I don't hear it so much anymore.

Edited by Kinsa

I'm still pretty damned bitter (that's right..used the real swear word...that's how angry I am about it) about the hypnobabies people and their promise of a pain free birth. You can ask my midwife, I spent that whole labor just ANGRY that it hurt. The next birth, and the one before it, I handled the pain fine because it was just pain, not pain AND betrayal!

Ha! I know that feeling! The first time the epidural didn't take. During back labor. Pain free labor is a myth as far as any of mine went.

Oh and "our hospital is a level 4 trauma hospital. Which means we can handle any emergency when it happens. You should have your baby in a hospital bc at any moment a delivery could need surgery and we can do that." I guess if you don't care about the whole anethestic part of having a cesarean, they did handle it....

I have a long list of medical lie examples.

• Like 3

Homeschooled siblings are like best friends.

Provide a literature-rich home and read to your children and you will raise avid readers, guaranteed.

If you lay the groundwork at elementary age, they will basically just homeschool themselves by 7th grade.

Carbs are good, it's meat that's bad for you.

• Like 20

Well, there's always the doctor/nurse. Hold still, this won't hurt a bit.

Ha.  Yes.  "This will pinch a little."

No, I almost punched you!  (I didn't)   I once had a "lactation consultant" suddenly squeeze a cyst on my extremely sore breast hard without warning.  She is lucky to have made it out of my house. 

• Like 2

Don't go to the movies, you will make another Christian stumble.

Parenting teens is easy if you raise them right and break their will.

Any music with a beat is of the devil.

Don't wear pants or shorts, it will make a man lust and thus be sin on your hands...

Anyone guess how I was raised? Lol

• Like 11

"Eggs are bad for you."

"All medicines are safe if we prescribe them.  Stay away from Dr. Google (just given a medication contraindicated for me)."

"Fat is bad for you."

"Salt is bad for you."

"Men cheat - it is their make up."

"I care about you. (any variation, any politician)."

NM.   Not allowed to talk about that here.

"Really, our teens will be chaperoning your kids at the skate event with 8 entrances (no, they were flirting with each other and anyone could have snatched a kid)."

"I will pay you back." 

"Childbirth is the worst pain ever." (It wasn't for me, but I know that varies).

"No, we don't share your information with anyone else (and then I get calls and emails about the topic)."

Edited by TranquilMind
  • Like 5

Don't go to the movies, you will make another Christian stumble.

Parenting teens is easy if you raise them right and break their will.

Any music with a beat is of the devil.

Don't wear pants or shorts, it will make a man lust and thus be sin on your hands...

Anyone guess how I was raised? Lol

You forgot dancing and playing cards.  ;)

(FYI, it could be problem for you or not - hot grinding vs. a waltz with grandpa- huge difference!  Gambling vs. Crazy 8's with the kids - huge difference). 

• Like 4

Aww, I'm sorry! 

I kind of felt that way about breastfeeding.  That HURT.  But it didn't seem to hurt other people at all.  Liars!  ;)

That my children would be perfect if I homeschool.

ETA: I was fed that platter of untruth twenty years ago. I don't hear it so much anymore.

Yeah, no kidding. 

We really believed a good solid home and church life would pave an easy road.

It hasn't been easy with one. 

• Like 3

"Your kids will grow up in the blink of an eye."

Nope. The last ten years feels at least twice as long. Only other people's kids seem to grow up fast.

"If you _________, your kids will behave."

Nope, some kids are pretty much immune to any parenting technique. Most of what we've tried (with one kid) has been a waste of time that made us feel like we were doing something, when really, it might be mostly time that is making improvement.

• Like 14

Oh, those lies about how all homeschooled kids love reading and how the kids will educate themselves by middle school! Ooooh! I'm sooo bitter about those! As bitter as Ktgrok is about her non-pain-free delivery.

I'll try to come up with other lies I've been told after I stop thinking about how bitter I am over the reading and self-teaching lies. :)

Edited by Garga
  • Like 11

Education is wasted on girls.

Divorce is never acceptable.

Your dad is a great man.

Breastfeeding is natural, but mrn can't help but stumble if they see it, so never, ever, ever do that in public.

If you would just ____, your kid would behave.

If you pray, autism will go away.

God made you perfect, but if you have largish b00ks and don't wear a second bra, you are responsible for the sin of all those men in your congregation when they stumble.

• Like 6

Education is wasted on girls.

Divorce is never acceptable.

Your dad is a great man.

Breastfeeding is natural, but mrn can't help but stumble if they see it, so never, ever, ever do that in public.

If you would just ____, your kid would behave.

If you pray, autism will go away.

God made you perfect, but if you have largish b00ks and don't wear a second bra, you are responsible for the sin of all those men in your congregation when they stumble.

A second bra?!

And, I'm sorry, but this particular line is funny when juxtaposed with your username. :D

• Like 17

seriously, what crackhead told you that?!

The same 80 year old nor firing on all cylinders granny that went around telling new parents that they could cure their infants of crying by giving them lots of benadryl! Oh, I for certain thought she was a whackadoodle! No believing her tripe.

• Like 2

"Don't worry, I'll take care of it" said by the person who never took care of it and promptly forgot it needed to be dealt with at all.  :banghead:

I literally just finished watching a show where the character said, "I trust you, and that is more important than I love you." Made me think of the above. 

Only children will be lonely. 

You can't do that (emphasis on YOU)

• Like 2

"A house is an investment"

"You'll get Social Security when you retire in 30+ years"

"Saturated fat causes heart disease"

"Homebirth is dangerous/scary/irresponsible/crazy/etc"

"Tongue ties don't affect breastfeeding, and cutting a tongue tie is akin to child abuse"

"Frequent pumping with a super-duper pump will keep up your breast milk supply"

• Like 4

If you couldn't breastfeed, it's because you didn't really try. 

You may not breastfeed your baby if you are on Magnesium Sulfate. 

It's just a stage.

It gets better. 

A house is an investment. 

You'll be successful if you are smart and you work hard. 

Edited by SamanthaCarter
  • Like 4

If you rock you baby to sleep they will never learn to sleep alone, ever. EVER!!!!!

It takes two to break a marriage. 

Student loan debt is an investment in your future and totally worth it (still have over 100K in student loans of DH's to pay off. NEVER going to happen)

ADHD is made up

• Like 7

If you get first time obedience with your kids from a young age, they will be godly, perfect kids and you will have no issues when they are teens.

There is no such thing as ADHD-it is just parents who are lazy and won't make their kids toe the line. 

Depression is just a made up thing. You just need to pray more and read your Bible and you will feel better

If your husband  is abusive, you just need to try harder to submit and give him more TEA. 

• Like 5

"This will be a little uncomfortable." (Before a medical procedure. I was almost sobbing before it was over.)

In regard to an obnoxious, disrespectful, or otherwise strong statement made by a young child: "He must have heard that at home!" My oldest taught me that some children are fully capable of expressing their own thought-out opinions at a very young age, and they may have nothing to do with what that child is exposed to at home!

• Like 3

one doesn't need books to homeschool

That's the number one thing I read over and over again when I come across this question. Not here, but other homeschool hang outs.

Wait wait wait - someone actually said that!? Like, homeschoolers are synonymous with books. Technical books, great books, textbooks, fun books, our OWN writings too. I'm all about nature and physical study of interesting subjects but books are the golden ticket to a beautiful, unlimited world of knowledge. And there is so much to know - far beyond what we could experience without the writings of others.

The cumulative knowledge and wisdom of man is in these books. And then some. Jaw dropping comment.

Let's see.....

Every pregnant women gets morning sickness - there is nothing wrong {there was - I suffered from the extreme version HG}

Any nausea will disappear as soon as you hit your second trimester {it didn't - I was on meds until the end}

Childbirth is the most painful thing ever {it wasn't - heck I've had cramps that were worse!}

There is no way your child could be having an allergic reaction to something you ate while breastfeeding {she was}

Adults don't get depression - that is only for emo teens 

You are perfectly healthy {I wasn't}

College is mandatory and the best way to success {not for me it wasn't - I just ended up with a ton of loans}

Oh and my personal favorite:

You'll find a husband in college {I didn't}

Wait wait wait - someone actually said that!? Like, homeschoolers are synonymous with books. Technical books, great books, textbooks, fun books, our OWN writings too. I'm all about nature and physical study of interesting subjects but books are the golden ticket to a beautiful, unlimited world of knowledge. And there is so much to know - far beyond what we could experience without the writings of others.

The cumulative knowledge and wisdom of man is in these books. And then some. Jaw dropping comment.

Someone new comes along and asks, "So which books should I get, which books do I need, etc."

Oh you don't need any books.  Now maybe they mean you don't need public school type textbooks, but they don't say that. 

• Like 1