Menu

Gift ideas for my dd who just got her first teaching job (pre-k)

Only me

My daughter just got her first teaching job. She will be teaching pre-k for a school district. So far she has no idea what items will be supplied and what she will need to buy for the classroom. Her birthday is next week and I would like to give her a head start on some supplies. I imagine she will also need supplies at home to prepare projects etc. I would love any ideas.

So far I've just picked up some items from the Target dollar section. (Stickers, name cards etc). They had a bunch of fun items but I'm looking for more.

Books. She may get some supplies (paper, glue, etc) but she won't get picture books.

Eric Carl ones, chicka chicka boom boom, etc.

Also games/ puzzles/ manipulatives- typical preschool things like Barnyard Bingo, the fishing game, duplo, knex, etc. Garage sales are great for finding these.

How fun! I loved my preschool teacher days:)

• Like 2

Some fun ideas so far. Thanks! We really have no clue what they will have. Are teachers usually able to bring in pretty much what they want to? I thought of books but for some reason I didn't think of things like puzzles and games. My youngest is 18 now so I think I'm going to have some fun shopping.

gift card to Teacher's Pay Teachers. I love that site!  Go to thrift stores for picture books. My sister teaches K and really likes to have different things to use as counters. We saved water bottle lids, little yogurt cups, etc.. for her to use for math manipulatives. 

• Like 2

Do you have a Staples near you? For this price I'd try the quirky stapler. http://www.staples.com/quirky+stapler/directory_quirky%2520stapler

If the drawers on mine opened better I'd highly suggest this: http://www.samsclub.com/sams/seville-10-drawer-multi-color-cart/prod7060004.ip. I don't know if I just got a dud or what.

Maybe she won't know what she needs til the school year has begun and would appreciate a gift card?

Really comfortable shoes.

Good teacher scissors

Books, books, and more books, plus a gift card to get more books. 

I have to disagree about the Teachers Pay Teachers.  So much of what's on there is worksheet kind of stuff, that really has no place in a high quality PreK classroom. 

• Like 3

I have to disagree about the Teachers Pay Teachers.  So much of what's on there is worksheet kind of stuff, that really has no place in a high quality PreK classroom. 

I agree - on principle. However, as a first-year teacher in a new school system, she may be required to do some worksheet-type stuff (letters/numbers/other pre-writing skills, etc.) that the school requires. This could lighten her load a bit in that she won't have to reinvent the wheel while she's still learning to drive the car.

Pre-made worksheets were invaluable to me the first few months that I was teaching. I got away form it quickly, but it was helpful when I needed it.

Take a look at Lakeshore Learning. Everything we've gotten from there has held up remarkably well.

Absolutely agree:)

I love their materials, and they are quality!

I would first have her sign up for their educators discount, and email or text coupons. I don't think I have EVER paid full price for anything as they have a steady stream of BOGO 50% off, or 20-50% off coupons, in addition to educators discount. If there is one near her it is even better as they tend to have silly shipping costs:(

• Like 3

Absolutely agree:)

I love their materials, and they are quality!

I would first have her sign up for their educators discount, and email or text coupons. I don't think I have EVER paid full price for anything as they have a steady stream of BOGO 50% off, or 20-50% off coupons, in addition to educators discount. If there is one near her it is even better as they tend to have silly shipping costs:(

This makes me think of an idea...

You could gather the info and applications for all the possible teacher discounts out there so she can easily get signed up once she has a district id or pay stub etc.

I think Barnes and Noble still has a teacher card.

• Like 4

I've seen very large versions of classic kid's books like The Story of Ping at bookstores. I think they would be great for a Pre-K classroom. A rocking chair for her to sit in for story time. A portable CD player with some classical music CDs for background music. Games like Candyland and Chutes and Ladders.

A gift certificate to a teacher supply store or Amazon?

Is she the type that might prefer to pick out her own decorations and supplies? I have a child who would use what was given to her, but would be secretly disappointed if she had dreamed of picking out different things.

Gift card for coffee/breakfasts?

• Like 2

We really have no clue what they will have. Are teachers usually able to bring in pretty much what they want to? .

My district supplies all manipulatives, puzzles, games, readers, charts. They gave each teacher $100 to buy other supplies. Crayons and white board markers are the most requested. Teachers could bring what they want.

Usually the local teachers would check what is already supplied then hit back to school sales to top up.

I would get her this stapler

This paper punch (does 40 pages at once)

Fun Sharpies

Expo Markers in fun colors 

A custom mouse pad or coffee cup with her face at that age, or a family pet on it.

Order her some pencils that say "Borrowed from the desk of Miss xyz"

Refillable gift card to Starbucks or what ever coffee shop is near by. 

Small but good quality portable blue tooth speaker (so she can play music from her phone). We like this one

Edited by Tap
  • Like 3

Thanks for all the great ideas. I think I will buy some basic supplies as well as some books and just a few puzzles or games. Then I will buy her a few gift certificates so she can pick things out herself. It's so much fun buying these things but I think she will want to decorate and pick certain things out herself.

• Like 4

Seconding Lakeshore.

Subscription to Enchanted Learning.

My kids K teacher used to do read alouds after lunch. She turned off the overhead lights and used a regular lamp for lighting. Soft music in the background. So, if that is allowed, then I'd suggest a small lamp and an inexpensive ($20) Bluetooth speaker that works with a phone.

I would wait for supplies, but I do like teachers pay teachers, not for the worksheets (all though as a PS teacher she may need some of those also) but for the center/game ideas. I do these for my kids as independent review, etc. As such I go through lots of colored file folders, large manila envelopes, velcro dots, lamination sheets (although her district may have a laminator for her use, but maybe she would like one for at home for quick little projects she doesn't want to wait to get laminated through the office?) and colored card stock/paper.

As a kg teacher, I had an apron with pockets I loved to wear and kept handy stickers, stamps, spare pencils, etc. as I walked around the room. PreK and Kg teachers rarely sit  :laugh: , so comfy shoes are also a good idea!

Puppets!!! Great for story time AND to get attention and give directions!

GC to carson-dellosa as I love their room decorating ideas. I'm drooling over this one right now: http://www.carsondellosa.com/search-catalog/?fq=themes_string_mv-AND|School%20Pop(I may buy a few pieces to decorate our schoolroom  :lol:). They always have coupons also so she can sign up for those and make it stretch further!

Edited by Um_2_4
  • Like 1

Zulilly has had some great items for teachers/classrooms - especially some very encouraging wall art - just something special as she starts out on her adventure.  My dd is a future teacher (2 years to go) and a Kindergarten teacher that she shadowed advised her to start early collecting books, toys, games, puzzles because school systems just don't provide that much any more and on rainy days you need things to keep them busy.  We've started a collection of all sorts of goodies and I figure if she doesn't use them they'll be great for grandchildren waaay down the line.  ;-)  Also classic read-alouds in big colorful picture book style might be nice for circle time?

On my first day of teaching, my parents had a flower bouquet delivered to my classroom with a note telling me that they were thinking of me and telling me how proud of me they were.   :)

Edited by Junie
  • Like 7

This makes me think of an idea...

You could gather the info and applications for all the possible teacher discounts out there so she can easily get signed up once she has a district id or pay stub etc.

I think Barnes and Noble still has a teacher card.

Definitely! There are a lot of places that offer educators discounts...even places like Michael's, Hobby Lobby, Blick, and more. In fact, here is a handy list of more than 60.

Most apply to homeschoolers as well:)

https://www.giftcardgranny.com/blog/the-complete-list-of-66-teacher-discounts/

Edited because I am a poor typist on my phone!

Edited again because! Because I just discovered that even the Apple Store offers discounts to educators, and include homeschoolers! How did I miss this😳

Edited by Kerileanne99
  • Like 1

Depends on her philosophy, whether or not she will like anything from Lakeshore. I am more Reggio inspired, so I don't do cartooney stuff or plastic toys (except things for the light table and plastic animals). I would make some single person games.I would give an eclectic bundle of 3 part cards, glass gems, etc.

Thanks everyone. I shopped today. It was so much fun. I got a variety of practical things as well as a few puzzles and manipulatives. I got a huge pack of sharpies at office Depot for $10 on sale half off. I also got her a gift card to Chalkboard and an office supply place. I also love the idea of making a list of resources for her (discounts etc) so I will do that. I ordered a cute personalized self inking stamp to label her books etc. Her siblings are going to both get her some picture books. I already had a bunch of dollar items from Target. I wrapped everything individually in tissue paper and I put it in a 31 bag that she had already picked out. I went a little overboard and spent more than we usually do but I figure we would want to help her get established her first year anyway. I can't wait for her to open her gifts.

• Like 8

I would wait to see what is supplied by the school or what is on the list sent to parents. There is no point in you buying x,y,z only to find out those items are in the classroom, and what is really needed is abc. 

For now, get her something personal, not something for the classroom till you know more. I would suggest a heavy canvas tote, like the ones Lands End sells cause she will haul stuff back and forth every day. 

Thanks everyone. I shopped today. It was so much fun. I got a variety of practical things as well as a few puzzles and manipulatives. I got a huge pack of sharpies at office Depot for $10 on sale half off. I also got her a gift card to Chalkboard and an office supply place. I also love the idea of making a list of resources for her (discounts etc) so I will do that. I ordered a cute personalized self inking stamp to label her books etc. Her siblings are going to both get her some picture books. I already had a bunch of dollar items from Target. I wrapped everything individually in tissue paper and I put it in a 31 bag that she had already picked out. I went a little overboard and spent more than we usually do but I figure we would want to help her get established her first year anyway. I can't wait for her to open her gifts.

I think you ended up with a great gift!

The stamp to label books was a brilliant idea!

I used Sharpies a lot for classroom related stuff.

I was at Target yesterday and the dollar spot classroom stuff is really cute. There were lots of teachers buying it up.

My daughter just completed her fourth year of teaching, 3rd and 4th grades.  One of her favorite tools is a stapler like the Staples One-Touch which allows her to do bulletin boards very easily.  And then a flat staple remover like the "Calypso Magnetic Staple Remover" which helps her take things off the bulletin board quickly.