Menu

Front Load Washer folks...Why do my towels smell funny????

All the other clothes smell fine. The towels have a funny smell. I have changed detergent and then started putting less detergent in. I have even put a little bit of bleach in with them, to try to get rid of the smell.

What am I doing wrong??

I never had this problem with my top loader.

I don't have a top loader...but when my towels smell funky after washing, I wash them again in hot water. It only really happens in very humid weather. In the unsinkable world, I imagine the smell is from bateria and the hot water kills the bateria. I don't know what really causes the smell.

Also make sure you are not leaving them in the washer too long. Open the door after the cycle if you can not transfer them immediately. We had the same issue and once I started doing these things the smell went away.

Yes, my clothes stink if I leave them in too long after the wash cycle ends. Freaky, I know.

I had a front load washer a few years ago and my towels smelled funky (musty) straight out from the washer. I found the problem to be mildew growing under the gasket on the opening for the door. If you pull yours back you might see that you have that problem. When I called the company I was told this was a common problem with front load washers and that I had to clean my washer every so often and keep the door open (impossible to do since my washer was in a closet). Fortunately for me, I found the problem before my year warrenty was up (bought at Sears) and was able to return it for a full refund. Now I have a much less expensive top loader I don't have to wash!!

Edited by sands31210

All the other clothes smell fine. The towels have a funny smell. I have changed detergent and then started putting less detergent in. I have even put a little bit of bleach in with them, to try to get rid of the smell.

What am I doing wrong??

Leave the door of the washer open whenever it is not in use. The seal on the front-loaders is so watertight that the machine will remain damp inside with the door closed --> STINK!

Pull the rubber gasket around the door hole back and wipe inside there with a Clorox wipe every so often.

And finally - use powdered detergent. When I used Tide He liquid, our towels, and only the towels, had a funky smell. Switched back to powder and no smell whatsoever. Just fresh n clean.

• 5 months later...
Guest bigblkgun

We just bought a GE front load set and OUR towels stink too! Has anyone found a cure for this and why is it only the towels????

Hm. Powder is cheaper, too... might go back. Hadn't even thought of that, since we buy the smelly sort.

Having smelly towel issues here, and our washer isn't even a full year old!

And I did discover pretty quickly about leaving the door open. It did help, but the towels still smell.

Glad, so very unbelievably almost crazy glad, that I am not the only one with this problem! :lol: I thought it was me! ;)

When I had a front load I had this problem with all my clothes if I didn't transfer to the dryer right away. I hated the machine! After battling it for 9 yrs it died enough that my husband opted to replace rather than fix and I went back to a top load. The problem no longer exists.

Huh. I have a GE Front Loader and my towels smell just fine! I do wash them on the sanitize cycle, I don't know if that makes a difference or not. I do run bleach through my washer on the first of every month to clean it. I also leave the door open a crack when I'm not using it. More often than not, a kid will think they're doing me a favor by shutting the door all the way, so I don't know if it really makes a difference or not. lol. One thing I have noticed, the washer spins so hard and fast, my towels feel rough when I take them out! I'm going to get some fabric softener to see if that will make a difference.

fabric softener build-up will smell - use white vinegar instead.

There is a thread on here that has a bunch of things to try/check - but using hot water is important. Ditching fabric softener (which keeps towels from absorbing water anyway), cycle of bleach once a month.

The laundry forum has a TON of great threads on this too! LOL!!

I'll go find the other thread and link it here.

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65309&highlight=stinky+towels

I found the problem to be mildew growing under the gasket on the opening for the door. If you pull yours back you might see that you have that problem.

For me, the mildew was growing on the bottom part of the glass that extends into the washer when the door is shut and on the gasket. I run a load of bleach water through and wipe the door and gasket with bleach occasionally (once every couple of months).

We had a brief problem. To solve it, I hung the towels outside a couple times to kill any bacteria that might have survived the washer & dryer. Then I began to regularly use bleach on our white work socks, ocassionaly alternate with Iron Out, and wipe under the rubber seal at least once a week.

We had a BIG problem with this; it was definitely mildew in washer. The man at Sears told us to use Affresh tablets once a month in the washer to kill mildew in the water lines and around the gasket. We have had no problem since then. We buy our Affresh tablets at Home Depot. If you have a big problem it is suggested that you use three tablets for the first treatment. A six month supply costs about $12.

HTH,

Leanna

I have this problem occasionally. I don't have any problems with mildew build up or anything. In our case, I think they just get smelly because we don't have a good place to hang them after use, and they stay damp for quite a while. I find that washing them on the "whitest whites" cycle with lots of detergent and borax, and making sure to put them straight into the dryer seems to get rid of the smell for a while.

There are a few things you need to do.

1. Clean the machine by hand periodically. Using a cloth and bleach water, wipe out the area in and around the boot. Wipe the glass door and seal.

2. Wash your towels on the sanitize wash cycle, or hottest cycle on your machine with a strong vinegar wash (put 1-2 cup fulls on the towels), and Do Not use any liquid fabric Softener again. If they don't smell good after the first wash, then wash them again, without drying, with vinegar and hot water until they smell fresh.

3. Wash the towels on hot water, if not every time, every other time in the future and Don't use liquid fabric softener again. The new fluffy towels are really just fine without the softener. If you have scratchy towels and really feel you need softener, then use only drier sheets.

There are a few problems here. One being the tight seal of the machine fostering mold growth inside it, and the buildup of softener.

No matter what you need to clean the inside of the machine periodically. If you run a bleach load every couple of weeks, it will make a big difference, buy you will still need to clean the gunk periodically.

My theory with the towels is that the softener creates a sticky buildup on the fibers. This build up holds onto the body oils and skin, not allowing them to get washed off the towels in the wash. The more fluffy the towel, the worse it is. After a while the washer gets the build up inside it too, and the two problems together create the stinky towels. The high efficiency machines recycle the same water through out different cycles, so the water has the smell from the door mold, adding to the sticky fabric softener.

If the door problem gets bad enough, you will start to notice the smell on other clothes too. (Jeans are the next likely offender here, they also don't get softener any longer.)If you do, wash the clothes in the same manner as the towels to get rid of the fabric softener. The vinegar is the key to getting the old fabric softener off the fibers.

I use Downy still on my clothes, but I only use a tiny bit, just to the first line in the dispenser. If you have kids using the machine, then dilute some softener with water, and have them use that so they don't over fill.

We have had our Duets for 5 years now, and since I figured this combination out, I no longer have a problem.

When we were using Downey on a few things, my pull out soap dispenser was always growing mold. That was with leaving it open to dry. Yuck.... i'd never had that problem till my parents moved in (and i'd had the machines a few years before that), and now they are gone and i don't use Downey and it's gone.

Vinegar works for softening and is cheaper and non-gunky growing! LOL!!

What am I doing wrong??

Ususally front-load washers use He (high-efficiency) detergent. I did notice lately that my towels didn't seem to smell as fresh as in the past. I started using the cold water rinse/spin cycle before washing them to help reduce the amount of bacteria in the final wash (hot)...I also use the extra rinse at the end in addition to selecting the "whitest whites" cycle (the longest). It seems to have done the trick. I only have to do this with my towels. I think there just isn't normally enough water used in a HE washer to rinse the yuck away effectively.

Geo

• 2 years later...
Wow. I've never had stinky anything out of a washer -- and we have a humid climate. I will definitely not be buying a front-loading washer. :tongue_smilie:

I agree. I've had too many friends buy these and then get rid of them within 3-5 years because of the stink. I noticed when I was at Lowe's the other day that now they are making high-end top loaders and the front loaders are becoming less popular for this reason.

I had a front load washer a few years ago and my towels smelled funky (musty) straight out from the washer. I found the problem to be mildew growing under the gasket on the opening for the door. If you pull yours back you might see that you have that problem. When I called the company I was told this was a common problem with front load washers and that I had to clean my washer every so often and keep the door open (impossible to do since my washer was in a closet). Fortunately for me, I found the problem before my year warrenty was up (bought at Sears) and was able to return it for a full refund. Now I have a much less expensive top loader I don't have to wash!!

:iagree: I bought the front loader because it looked so *cool* and I never have the latest gadgets. Man, am I regretting that now!! We have to keep our door and the drawer that holds the detergent open between washes. It helps, but it is still a problem. We have to clean it out a lot! Blck!

I apologize if this was already mentioned, but in addition to checking the filter, I do a tub clean (empty tub, with laundry soap and vinegar) every 2-4 weeks. I also switched from Charlie's Soap to Bio-Kleen, and my towels have had fewer smelly problems. :)

I definitely agree with not leaving clothes or towels in for very long, as well as with those who recommend leaving the door open when the washer is not in use (and certainly, immediately after removing a load, especially if you are not putting another load in right away.)

I've never had a problem, but I knew front loader issues when I bought mine. However, the energy and water savings, plus the decline in wear on my clothes, makes up for the particular needs. I will not go back to a top-loader.

I'd echo what has been said above:

* Keep the door cracked when not in use, the seal is water tight and the inside won't dry if you close the door when it's empty

* Run a load of whites with bleach on sanitary through the washer. I do this once a week; between house cleaning rags and bathroom linens (I only use white), we have enough to give the washer a good cleaning without wasting water.

* Look at the amount of detergent you're using. Even with HE, you may be using too much. Run a load of towels WITHOUT detergent; if suds appear, you're using too much detergent in your wash. Keep washing the same load of towels without adding soap, until no more suds appear. The excess soap can actually make your washer more dingy and smell funky.

I have had my front-loader for 10 years, use fabric softener, and have no problems. You could not pay me to go back to a top-loader!

I do leave the door open, and every week or so I quickly drape a dry paper towel over my finger and run it around the gasket and toss. Of course I did a similar thing with my old top-loader, too, running it around the top area where things got mucky.

I do my whites in bleach every third load or so, and that may help. I also line-dry my clothes when I can for th wonderful smell and energy savings ;)

I am sooooo happy that I found this thread! We have a problem with all our blankets having a funky, almost chemical like smell and it drives me crazy!

We have a front loader and I am going to do all the things suggested here to get it clean and producing fresh smelling clothes again.

It will be so nice not to have stinky blankets or any other stinky clothes for that matter. Thanks so much!!! :)

What am I doing wrong??

it sounds like you need to do an empty sanitizing load with liquid bleach to clean out the washer. becasue of how well the washer seals, that happens.

I almost always toss in oxyclean to boost cleaing, and never have that happen - but the few months I didn't use the oxyclean, I also had that problem.