Menu

JAWM Book Recs for 11 year old advanced reader

eternalsummer

I am having a tough time feeding the reader with my 11 yo DD.  I read a ton as a kid too but was more into introspective stuff (Le Guin) and less into action, so many of my favorites don't appeal to DD.

Further, I have had a very hard time sorting out books that are appropriate for an 11 year old and also fit at least halfway with our social/moral beliefs.  Many times the back cover, or my librarian mother, will not mention stuff that is a dealbreaker for us.

I know some of these beliefs are somewhat controversial and I have absolutely zero desire to debate about them; I am just hoping that someone has some knowledge of books (especially series!) that would fit these basic parameters as well as possible.  

She is reading at I guess a high school level.  There isn't a lot she can't read.  She likes action and danger.

I don't need educational recs, just free reading recs.

Okay, so here is the (controversial) list of things I would like to avoid in books:

normalization of homosexuality, transgender-ism, cross-dressing,  etc.

multiple=partner sexual activity (that is, the main character has one boyfriend she sleeps with, then another, then another, etc.) - this even applies to consecutive monogamous relationships.

promotion of the idea that women and men should have the same roles in society (for example, a society where women are not only in the military but the female main character is the best fighter ever, etc.)

tattoos as a major feature of the book

glorification of drug use (some mild drug use is normal in all societies, and doesn't bother us - but something like that recent Donna Tart book is just overboard)

extreme nihilism - kind of hard to explain, but like the Maze Runner books?  where there are no adults to be trusted at all, and everything is really exceptionally bleak for most of the book (probably you can tell I hated Lord of the Flies, hah)

maybe something else I'm forgetting

note: we are not religious.  I know some of these things are often correlated with religious objections (and in fact I screen movies through the Focus on the Family reviews) but we don't mind things like witchcraft or polytheism or lack of religion or cursing, etc.

Final note:  I really really really have no interest in debating the validity or morality of these criteria.  I put JAWM in the title.  If you have no books to offer that is fine; if no one has any to offer that is fine too :)  But I will not debate them, and if it goes down that path I'll just abandon the forums and come back in a week.  

• Like 3

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

She may find them young, maybe, but the Trixie Belden series would fit that. Girl detective, daughter of a stay at home mother, has to do chores, take care of her little brother, etc. No alcohol/drugs/etc. No sexuality of any kind. Some danger. 

• Like 7

She may find them young, maybe, but the Trixie Belden series would fit that. Girl detective, daughter of a stay at home mother, has to do chores, take care of her little brother, etc. No alcohol/drugs/etc. No sexuality of any kind. Some danger. 

Thank you!  She will read things below her reading level for fun, so that is fine (and tbh so do I!  Harry Potter, for instance)

She read all the old Nancy Drews I could find, and is currently making her way through DS's Hardy Boys books, so this will fit right in.

Edited by ananemone

What about Heinlein's children's books?

Space Cadet, for instance.

The only thing is it might promote women having the same roles, I can't really remember.  But it was mostly written as a "boy's book" and might not have too much of that.  There might be a female starship captain.

If you go for the classic older sci-fi, you're going to find less sexual activity at all, and therefore less serial sexuality.  You will find less standardized drug use.  You might or might not find women in equal positions in society, it depends on the author.

• Like 2

What about Heinlein's children's books?

Space Cadet, for instance.

The only thing is it might promote women having the same roles, I can't really remember.  But it was mostly written as a "boy's book" and might not have too much of that.  There might be a female starship captain.

If you go for the classic older sci-fi, you're going to find less sexual activity at all, and therefore less serial sexuality.  You will find less standardized drug use.  You might or might not find women in equal positions in society, it depends on the author.

That's a good idea, I had forgotten about classic scifi (which I loved as a kid).  I tried her on the I Robot books a while ago but to no avail.  She is older now, though.

I don't mind women in equal positions in society, largely speaking, but I'd like to avoid it when taken to what I consider an unrealistic extreme.  

Agatha Christie? I read the entire series between about 10 and 13. It may make her want to move to London and have scones and tea every afternoon, but otherwise, they meet your criteria (which, by the way, I think are entirely appropriate for 11). Other classic mysteries she might enjoy are the two or three by Wilkie Collins, e.g., The Woman in White. A really off-the-wall suggestion: the hunting memoirs of Peter Capstick.

• Like 9

Wilkie Collins, e.g., The Woman in White.

Oh, if she likes to listen there was a podcast that did this.  It's called Craftlit.  One of my favorites.  There is some crafty talk at the beginning, a little bit of literary talk (the woman who does it is a teacher), and then a chapter of the book.

• Like 2

I was going to recommend Agatha Christie as well.

Does she like animal "action" books like Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH, the original 101 Dalmatians, The Rescuers series, or Watership Down? 

How about The Hobbit, Island of the Blue Dolphins, or My Side of My Mountain?

Possibly Frank Peretti's This Present Darkness and Piercing the Darkness? (These are Christian thrillers / mysteries, involving battles between angels and demons. It's been a long time since I read them, though.)

I'll ask my husband for more recommendations. 

• Like 1

I was going to recommend Agatha Christie as well.

Does she like animal "action" books like Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH, the original 101 Dalmatians, The Rescuers series, or Watership Down? 

How about The Hobbit, Island of the Blue Dolphins, or My Side of My Mountain?

Possibly Frank Peretti's This Present Darkness and Piercing the Darkness? (These are Christian thrillers / mysteries, involving battles between angels and demons. It's been a long time since I read them, though.)

I'll ask my husband for more recommendations. 

She has read and loved Mrs Frisby, the Hobbit, and My Side of the Mountain (and all the other Jean Craighead George books I could find).

I didn't know 101 Dalmations was a book!  (or the Rescuers).

Watership Down is a good idea; I was traumatized by it as a kid but she has a lot more tolerance for war and fighting and existential danger (in fact she likes these things, which I cannot understand)

• Like 1

This is a really tricky place to be!  My oldest dd was the same way - she was an advanced reader and I couldn't keep her in books - she would just gulp them down... there came a point when she had read all of the "safe" books and I couldn't read fast enough to keep up and pre-read things.  That is when we started talking about how to decide if a book was worth reading, and my expectations for her for when she found things that she knew I wouldn't want her to read... 

Has she read The Saturdays and other books in the Melendy series by Elizabeth Enright - these are wonderful!

The Penderwicks Series by Jeanne Birdsall is fun - it reminds me of the Saturdays, but today - she's probably already read it?

The Oz Series by L. Frank Baum is a good one - lots of books in the series, maybe 15 or so

Indian in the Cupboard series is kind of fun

Anne of Green Gables and others by LM Montgomery, again, lots of books and I didn't have to worry about the content

Has she read any books by Blue Balliett?  Chasing Vermeer and others are really fun!

Goose Girl (and series and others) by Shannon Hale - a favorite of all the girls in our house

Cinder (and the others in the series) by Marissa Meyer was a big hit here for my girls, too

I really love kids books.  I think I want to join a kids book club for adults...

It is just so tricky when they are advanced readers!  I remember my dd coming home from school with a book that her librarian recommended when she was in 7th grade (12 years old) - Lovely Bones!  Horrible!  I'm so glad I saw what she was in her backpack before she read it!  

• Like 5

I think classics are a good way to go when you have an advanced reader who does not need to be exposed to more, shall we say, grown-up ideas.  We have found Exodus Books summer reading list to be a good starting point.  The 2014 list is here; I linked the old one because it is in .pdf form. 

I agree with posters above who recommended Agatha Christie.  I would add Sherlock Holmes, but he does have an opium addiction.  It is not glorified, however, so I don't know if that works for you or not.

HTH

ETA:  I agree with the recommendations right above, too!  The Oz series is great, especially for a thinking child.  The Blue Balliet Chasing Vermeer books are really good, as well.

Edited by JoJosMom
  • Like 6

I didn't know 101 Dalmations was a book!  (or the Rescuers).

Yes, 101 Dalmatians is actually very well-written. The author is Dodie Smith, author of I Capture the Castle.

Apparently there are 9 books in The Rescuers series, but I've only read the first two. I found them a little dry but they are very innocuous.  :)

• Like 2

Another animal series to consider: Warrior Cats series

Seconding the Penderwicks.

She might enjoy Richard Peck's YA books (mostly historical fiction): A Year Down Yonder, A Long Way from Chicago, A Season of Gifts, Here Lies the Librarian, The Teacher's Funeral. He has others but these are the ones I'm familiar with.

• Like 2

Another animal series to consider: Warrior Cats series

Yes! Erin Hunter is the author. My dd11 (also an advanced and voracious and adventure-loving reader) ADORES them. Since the main characters are all animals, I think most of your hot-buttons would be avoided (but I haven't read them myself so can't say for sure).

Plus, there are approximately 4 million books in that series, which is always a bonus for a big reader. :)

• Like 6

The series by Willard Price - African Adventure, Undersea Adventure etc? Again might be under her reading level but ds loves the over the top adventure. They aren't a problem for any of the reasons you mention, but they're old - both dh and I read them as kids - and they're rather 'colonial' in their descriptions of local people in other countries.

Books by Jules Verne - ds is enjoying these now.

I'll second The Saturdays.

Mrs Fridby and the Rats of NIMH?

• Like 1

Betsy-Tacy series are written to age with the reader (they get more advanced as the reader and characters age).

Wrinkle in Time series?

Re-iterating the suggestions for the Warrior Cats and Redwall series. My 10 year old likes Lloyd Alexander's books and the Alchemiyst series, but I haven't read those to know if they meet your parameters and she's not here for me to ask.

I love the suggestion for Agatha Christie, I'm going to look into those for my daughter! :thumbup1:

• Like 2

Based on this: "promotion of the idea that women and men should have the same roles in society (for example, a society where women are not only in the military but the female main character is the best fighter ever, etc.)" I don't think the reccomendations below quite fit what the OP is looking for.

Mysteries Benedict Society?

Kate is the badass fighter, brave and fearless and definitely could out fight the male leads of Reynie and Sticky. Blindfolded and with her hands tied behind her back. Reynie and Sticky rely heavily on her fighting skills throughout the Mysterious Benedict Society series.

Island of the Blue Dolphins

The girl in this book has to cultivate her skills in traditionally male spheres of her society to stay alive.

Don't get my wrong. My sons both enjoyed The Mysterious Benedict Society (older son read them 4-5 years ago, and both are listening to them on audible now for fun) and I think Island of the Blue Dolphins should be required reading. But neither really fits the strictures laid out in the OP. Besides the gender thing, neither is high school level material.

Edited by LucyStoner
  • Like 1

Most of the children's books I am seeing listed here are not at a high school level, which the OP said she was looking for.

My older son read a lot of classics in that period where his reading skills vastly outmatched his interest in the more sexual topics in modern young adult literature because he was prepubescent. HG Wells was probably his favorite but also Dickens. Right now he is loving The Three Musketeers. He had mixed reviews for Sherlock Holmes, and there is definitely drug use in the non-edited editions, but it hits the mystery/adventure/danger thing.

Edited by LucyStoner
  • Like 5

Seeing the recs for Agatha Christie makes me also want to recommend the Flavia de Luce series by Alan Bradley. The first book is The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie. (The series should be read in order. Seven books so far & I think the 8th is slated for release later this year.)

I don't typically like series books, but I adore this series. My ds has loved it too.

Amazon Best of the Month, April 2009: It's the beginning of a lazy summer in 1950 at the sleepy English village of Bishop's Lacey. Up at the great house of Buckshaw, aspiring chemist Flavia de Luce passes the time tinkering in the laboratory she's inherited from her deceased mother and an eccentric great uncle. When Flavia discovers a murdered stranger in the cucumber patch outside her bedroom window early one morning, she decides to leave aside her flasks and Bunsen burners to solve the crime herself, much to the chagrin of the local authorities. But who can blame her? What else does an eleven-year-old science prodigy have to do when left to her own devices? With her widowed father and two older sisters far too preoccupied with their own pursuits and passions—stamp collecting, adventure novels, and boys respectively—Flavia takes off on her trusty bicycle Gladys to catch a murderer. In Alan Bradley's critically acclaimed debut mystery, The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie, adult readers will be totally charmed by this fearless, funny, and unflappable kid sleuth. But don't be fooled: this carefully plotted detective novel (the first in a new series) features plenty of unexpected twists and turns and loads of tasty period detail. As the pages fly by, you'll be rooting for this curious combination of Harriet the Spy and Sherlock Holmes. Go ahead, take a bite.

• Like 4

Don't get my wrong. My sons both enjoyed The Mysterious Benedict Society (older son read them 4-5 years ago, and both are listening to them on audible now for fun) and I think Island of the Blue Dolphins should be required reading. But neither really fits the strictures laid out in the OP. Besides the gender thing, neither is high school level material.

The OP did say that her daughter doesn't mind reading below her reading level for fun.

• Like 1

I have a dd16, and two sons, 13 and 11.  We all recently read the books by Australian author John Flanagan.  The Ranger's Apprentice has 12 books in the series and then the Brotherband Chronicles has 5 or 6.  They are fantasy/adventure/a lot of action.  I was sad when we came to the end.   Maybe worth looking into?

• Like 5

The OP did say that her daughter doesn't mind reading below her reading level for fun.

I see that in a subsequent post but when I was responding, I had only seen the OP and some of the suggestions.

I don't have the same values on choosing books as the OP but having had a very advanced reader, I do sympathize with that part of the dilemma. When I was looking for books at that stage, I have to admit it was sometimes a tad frustrating to get primarily recommendations for stuff he'd long since read (and reread).

Now, for him anyways, the only books I look for are the ones I assign. I tend to let him pick all of his own leisure reading. If he can read, discuss and write like a high school to college student then I figure he's earned the right to select his own reading material so long as he keeps up with the academic reading list we generate together. Pretty much any book I might be inclined to stop him from reading I know that he has no interest in.

Edited by LucyStoner
  • Like 3

This is a really tricky place to be!  My oldest dd was the same way - she was an advanced reader and I couldn't keep her in books - she would just gulp them down... there came a point when she had read all of the "safe" books and I couldn't read fast enough to keep up and pre-read things.  That is when we started talking about how to decide if a book was worth reading, and my expectations for her for when she found things that she knew I wouldn't want her to read... 

Has she read The Saturdays and other books in the Melendy series by Elizabeth Enright - these are wonderful!

The Penderwicks Series by Jeanne Birdsall is fun - it reminds me of the Saturdays, but today - she's probably already read it?

The Oz Series by L. Frank Baum is a good one - lots of books in the series, maybe 15 or so

Indian in the Cupboard series is kind of fun

Anne of Green Gables and others by LM Montgomery, again, lots of books and I didn't have to worry about the content

Has she read any books by Blue Balliett?  Chasing Vermeer and others are really fun!

Goose Girl (and series and others) by Shannon Hale - a favorite of all the girls in our house

Cinder (and the others in the series) by Marissa Meyer was a big hit here for my girls, too

I really love kids books.  I think I want to join a kids book club for adults...

It is just so tricky when they are advanced readers!  I remember my dd coming home from school with a book that her librarian recommended when she was in 7th grade (12 years old) - Lovely Bones!  Horrible!  I'm so glad I saw what she was in her backpack before she read it!  

Yes, this is a lot of my worry - sometimes adults recommend or buy her books that are just not great for an 11 year old (Lovely Bones traumatized me at 25!), but it has been a while since they had or knew an 11 year old so the understanding of appropriateness isn't there.

She read all of Anne (and Emily of the New Moon); the others sound great to look up :)

We liked those princess-retelling ones - Ella Enchanted and etc.?  But we've read right through them.

I am also at a point where I need to start giving her the skills to find her own appropriate books.  I don't have time to preread it all either anymore!

• Like 1

My husband says:

Brandon Sanderson: Anything he’s written!

• Younger audiences would like The Rithmatist and the Reckoners series (Steelheart, Firefight, and Calamity)
  • Warbreaker might be interesting to an 11-year old girl since it has a bit more romance than most of his books
  • My favorites are the Mistborn series (7 books so far starting with Mistborn: The Final Empire) and the Stormlight Archive series (2 books so far starting with The Way of Kings) but they might be a bit advanced for an 11-year old
Patrick Rothfuss: Name of the Wind (but NOT the sequel The Wise Man’s Fear)

Frank Herbert: Dune

Pitticus Lore: I Am Number Four

This is a free sampler with the first several chapters of my two favorite Sanderson book series.
Edited by MercyA
  • Like 3

Yes! Erin Hunter is the author. My dd11 (also an advanced and voracious and adventure-loving reader) ADORES them. Since the main characters are all animals, I think most of your hot-buttons would be avoided (but I haven't read them myself so can't say for sure).

Plus, there are approximately 4 million books in that series, which is always a bonus for a big reader. :)

We have ready every single warrior cats book.  Ugh.  They spent like 6 months acting like fighting cats, drove me *crazy* but they did love them :)

• Like 1

Based on this: "promotion of the idea that women and men should have the same roles in society (for example, a society where women are not only in the military but the female main character is the best fighter ever, etc.)" I don't think the reccomendations below quite fit what the OP is looking for.

Kate is the badass fighter, brave and fearless and definitely could out fight the male leads of Reynie and Sticky. Blindfolded and with her hands tied behind her back. Reynie and Sticky rely heavily on her fighting skills throughout the Mysterious Benedict Society series.

The girl in this book has to cultivate her skills in traditionally male spheres of her society to stay alive.

Yes, the gender roles in the Mysterious Benedict Society ones are a bit odd but I read the first one and for the most part it didn't bother me - they're kids, first of all, when these things are a bit more fluid, and it is not a societal change that is promoted but rather an individual personality thing, if that makes sense.

My husband says:

Brandon Sanderson: Anything he’s written!

• Younger audiences would like The Rithmatist and the Reckoners series (Steelheart, Firefight, and Calamity)
  • Warbreaker might be interesting to an 11-year old girl since it has a bit more romance than most of his books
  • My favorites are the Mistborn series (7 books so far starting with Mistborn: The Final Empire) and the Stormlight Archive series (2 books so far starting with The Way of Kings) but they might be a bit advanced for an 11-year old
Patrick Rothfuss: Name of the Wind (but NOT the sequel The Wise Man’s Fear)

Frank Herbert: Dune

Pitticus Lore: I Am Number Four

This is a free sampler with the first several chapters of my two favorite Sanderson book series.

Just a note: The Kingkiller Chronicles (of which The Name of the Wind is Book One) is a trilogy. The third one has not been released yet. But the fact that this is a three-part story is pretty integral to the plot. I wouldn't recommend giving her the first book but forbidding the sequel. It's just mean to leave her hanging like that! :)

I do agree that The Wise Man's Fear probably breaks your rules, so pre-read, or just wait a year or two. By then maybe Rothfuss will finally have finished The Doors of Stone!

• Like 1

I see that in a subsequent post but when I was responding, I had only seen the OP and some of the suggestions.

I don't have the same values on choosing books as the OP but having had a very advanced reader, I do sympathize with that part of the dilemma. When I was looking for books at that stage, I have to admit it was sometimes a tad frustrating to get primarily recommendations for stuff he'd long since read (and reread).

Now, for him anyways, the only books I look for are the ones I assign. I tend to let him pick all of his own leisure reading. If he can read, discuss and write like a high school to college student then I figure he's earned the right to select his own reading material so long as he keeps up with the academic reading list we generate together. Pretty much any book I might be inclined to stop him from reading I know that he has no interest in.

Yes, she's read most of the recs here but there are definitely some new ones :)  She loved The Dark is Rising (in 2nd grade) and Lloyd Alexander (3rd grade).  Even I could read those though :)

Dumas is a good idea; I remember liking The Three Musketeers in junior high.  Dickens might work too; I loved A Tale of Two Cities when we read it in 7th but my mom (the librarian) says it is too serious for DD.  I just thought it was so romantic! (not lovey=dovey romance so much as Romantic romance).  She has read A Christmas Carol but I haven't tried her on the rest of it.

I loved L'Engle (loved!) but I can't seem to talk her into them.

Thank you all for the great recs so far :)  I think we've got at least a summer's worth of reading material! (or a few weeks at any rate)

Has she read Robin McKinley's Beauty? It is lovely.

We've read everything Robin McKinley has ever written.  She is pretty great :)  The Blue Sword is a pretty good example of fiction where the female protagonist is a warrior-princess type but it's not part of a move to change the nature of society or subvert traditional gender roles on the whole, so they are still great books.

The problem with McKinley is that she is slow as molasses at writing.

• Like 2