Menu

JAWM Book Recs for 11 year old advanced reader

eternalsummer

My son got really into poetry last year (when he was newly 12) as part of a writing enrichment class he took. His favorites are Elizabeth Bishop and Robert Frost. His Elizabeth Bishop book is a perma fixture in his pile of currently reading books. I see him reading that one a lot. Poetry is another option to explore.

• Like 2

We've read everything Robin McKinley has ever written.  She is pretty great :)  The Blue Sword is a pretty good example of fiction where the female protagonist is a warrior-princess type but it's not part of a move to change the nature of society or subvert traditional gender roles on the whole, so they are still great books.

The problem with McKinley is that she is slow as molasses at writing.

I didn't know she was still writing! She is very talented. :) 

I do remember Deerskin being a very dark book, though, with some adult subject matter. Was that book atypical for her?

We have ready every single warrior cats book.  Ugh.  They spent like 6 months acting like fighting cats, drove me *crazy* but they did love them :)

That's what's happening here with dd and her friends. It doesn't help that we have big bushes in front of our house that they've claimed for their clan home. :001_rolleyes:

• Like 2

What about the Enchanted Forest Chronicles? Dealing with Dragons, etc? The princess is very strong and doesn't want to be a traditional princess, but it's not advocating for complete social change. The dragons don't adhere to traditional gender roles, but they are dragons, not humans.

• Like 1

I remember at that age that I (improbably) loved The Last of the Mohicans and the other books in that series. Like a lot of old books, it has racist old-fashioned stuff in it, so your mileage may vary.

But if she hasn't read it, I think she'd probably like Le Guin's Annals of the Western Shore (Gifts/Voices), BUT the last book (Powers) might break your rules so preview that one. Powers is different in terms of maturity level... there is a lot about the exploitation of women v. class conflict in it.

Edited by tm919
  • Like 1

I didn't know she was still writing! She is very talented. :)

I do remember Deerskin being a very dark book, though, with some adult subject matter. Was that book atypical for her?

She has not read Deerskin or Chalice (I read those and am saving them for when she is an adult -  I don't even know that they'd interest her yet).

Robin McKinley has been working on the sequel to Pegasus for *years*.  Unfortunately her husband (the writer Peter Dickinson) had a stroke and died last year, and she has been processing that since then.  She keeps an almost unreadable blog :) (which I read anyway, occasionally, just to see if she will ever finish Pegasus).

• Like 1

My son got really into poetry last year (when he was newly 12) as part of a writing enrichment class he took. His favorites are Elizabeth Bishop and Robert Frost. His Elizabeth Bishop book is a perma fixture in his pile of currently reading books. I see him reading that one a lot. Poetry is another option to explore.

Poetry is a great idea, actually.  I had not thought of it but she does like to write poetry - we've never done any of it for homeschool (I have a real aversion to poetry) but she might just love it.

Has she read all of Lloyd Alexander's books? There are a lot of them.

What about other L'Engle books if the Swiftly Tilting Planet series isn't currently appealing?

Someone mentioned the Enchanted Forest Chronicles; those are fabulous if she hasn't read them.

What about the Enchanted Forest Chronicles? Dealing with Dragons, etc? The princess is very strong and doesn't want to be a traditional princess, but it's not advocating for complete social change. The dragons don't adhere to traditional gender roles, but they are dragons, not humans.

She read and liked these at some point :)  she actually got hugely into dragons after reading Eragon (ugh); I read the McCaffery books in my youth but I read them Way Too Young and am not giving them to her anytime soon!  The Wrede books were a decent compromise :)

For anyone who is lurking (or reading this in 2018, or something): McKinley wrote a book about dragons that was just fine; the main character is a young boy who somehow ends up adopting/raising a baby dragon.  There's also Dragon Rider by Cornelia Funke (I wish she'd write more).  

Wrede also wrote a great set of books about magic done in the old west (it's kind of sci-fi-ish/fantasy, but very understated and calm).  We liked those.

I would start looking into biographies.  There are young adult biographies that are excellent.  I'm thinking historical/inspirational type.  We did many of those.  

Otherwise, some lighter books: 

Mrs. Pollifax series

Agatha Christie maybe ?

Betsy-Tacy books (start with Heaven to Betsy;  they progress in reading level as Betsy gets older, and she eventually goes on to high school, college, marries, etc., but they are really sweet and fun books that take place in the 1920's based on the author's life)

• Like 2

Not sure if this is something that she'll like or not, but when I was that age, I read a lot of Louis L'amour and Zane Grey.  I especially liked the Sackett books by L'amour.  They pretty much fit your criteria, if I recall, but it has been years since I picked up a western.  Westerns as a category I wouldn't recommend, but those authors (again, if I recall) are pretty clean. 

• Like 1

Maybe some of these recommendations? http://www.amazon.com/forum/fantasy?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=FxRHP2KEWXI0H1&cdThread=Tx2XL84C6I3H3GJ

Has she read Frances Hodgson Burnett books? I liked The Lost Prince

The Prince and the Pauper

A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court

This series http://www.amazon.com/False-Prince-Book-Ascendance-Trilogy/dp/0545284147/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1464667509&sr=8-1&keywords=the+false+prince

We read both of those sets, Maize (and *loved* the Howl's Moving Castle ones - I think there are 3?)  We'd seen the Miyazaki movie when we discovered Totoro and I was super pleased to learn there were books!  The books are better than the movie, even.

Christian fiction is a bit tricky - when it is super explicitly Christian, DD balks, as we aren't religious and she's a bit resistant to a world built that way.  I've tried couching it as anthropological (like if you were reading a scifi book about a different civilization/religion) but it hasn't taken.

A lot of books that are Christian but not as overtly so (Narnia, Harry Potter even) go over well and I really like them as it gives her access to a mythology/worldview that she misses out on a bit otherwise.

• Like 1

I think I read those False Prince ones and I can't remember why I didn't give them to DD.  

She loved The Thief but the next three will have to wait until she is grown for sure.

McKillip is a good idea but my mom recommended them and since her last recommendation was Tamora Pierce's Bloodhound books (which I let DD read until I read them last night and subsequently freaked out and started this thread) I have been hesitant.

Peter Beagle (from the Amazon thread linked) is a great idea!  Some of them I remember as Clearly Not Acceptable but I am pretty sure the others were geared toward her age group - something about a girl who lives in a haunted house in the country and has to rescue a ghost?

From that list also (for anyone reading along) we read the Green Rider books (by Kristin Britain) - painfully slow imo, and another variation on the "teenage girl becomes warrior" theme, but they are long and clean.

---

Ack, have just had word of family emergency (DH's grandmother has had a stroke), will not be back until tomorrow at earliest.  Thanks so much for all the recommendations.

• Like 1

Another animal series to consider: Warrior Cats series

Seconding the Penderwicks.

She might enjoy Richard Peck's YA books (mostly historical fiction): A Year Down Yonder, A Long Way from Chicago, A Season of Gifts, Here Lies the Librarian, The Teacher's Funeral. He has others but these are the ones I'm familiar with.

Yeah, Warrior Cats will keep her busy for awhile.  I think there are 36 titles in the series (so far).  My 11 yo LOVES those books.

OP, have you read Honey for a Teen's Heart?   I think most of the suggestions in that book will fit your criteria.  

• Like 1

James Harriott?

Series of Unfortunate Events

A little more advanced, but probably meet your list requirements...

The Book Theif

Code Name Verity

She may be just a bit young for Daughter of the Forest and its sequels, but they are very good. Attn: non graphic rape scene in first book (similar to Julie of the Wolves or I am Regina). First three books are great and can stand alone. Minor gay character in books 4-6. His inability to provide an heir is sort of important to the plot, but I don't think the books "normalize" homosexuality in the way you are worried about it.

Everything by Scott O'Dell and Lois Lowry

Narnia

The Cay

Holes

Edited by Monica_in_Switzerland
  • Like 1

Just another vote for The Dark Is Rising by Susan Cooper sequence.

A Girl of the Limberlost by Gene Stratton Porter

The historical novels of Rosemary Sutcliffe?

Is she ready for Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights? (I read Jane Eyre for the first time at 11 and loved it; Wuthering Heights came when I was 16 and I wouldn't have understood it before that.)

• Like 2

I loved Rosemary Sutcliffe and Jane Eyre, but I think she must be one maturity level away from it because she was completely uninterested.  Jane Eyre might be one of my 5 favorite books, and I reread The Lantern Bearer periodically.

Will look up the others mentioned :)

Lois Lowry she has read just about all of and loved (except I didn't give her Son, because I think it is coming from a different place than the rest of The Giver-universe books and she probably won't appreciate it until she has kids).  

LucyStoner, I remember that The Giver was given to me at age 8 and it sat on my shelf for years.  Once I was ready for it I loved it.  I will remember that and reintroduce my favorites (esp. Le Guin) in a year or two.  

And...I was telling DD and my mom about this thread (in general terms) and mentioned to my mom that while DD read The Thief, she certainly wasn't reading the next three for some years.

DD said, well, mom, I read those.  

!!!!!

"When?!!" I said.  "Well, at Christmas we were at [aunt's house] and I had the kindle (we don't own one, but my mom does and I guess she had it over Christmas) and they were on there so I read them."

@#$@#$!  

Oh well, she doesn't seem permanently injured :)

Terry Pratchet- Wee free men and the trucker, digger etc series..

Ransom Rigg-- Miss Peregrine's home for peculiar children trilogy. (Thriller/horror genre)

Robert Heinlein--citizen of the galaxy et alĂ¢â‚¬Â¦sci-fi

Frank Herbert-- Dune seriesĂ¢â‚¬Â¦sci-fi

Isaac Asimov-- Foundations series. sci-fi

Beverly Naidoo-- Journey to Jo'burg and its sequel- chain of fire. Apartheid/Racism in south africa.

Rae Carson-- The girl of fire and thorns series. adventure/drama

Sabaa Tahir-- An ember in the ashes series. ditto

Diana Wynne Jones- Chronicles of Chrestomanci series..fantasy

• Like 2

She may have read all of these, but my reader reads and re-reads all of these:

Harry Potter

All of the Rick Riordan series

Sisters Grimm

Penderwicks

Half Magic et al

Moffat books

I loved Agatha Christie at that age too.

All of the Rick Riordan series - the second Percy Jackson series does have a same sex attraction.  I've read all 11 books in the Percy Jackson series and nothing goes beyond a kiss\hand holding.  I haven't read the red pyramid or norse books yet.  The first 5 books would meet your requirements.

• Like 1

My husband says:

Brandon Sanderson: Anything heĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s written!

• Younger audiences would like The Rithmatist and the Reckoners series (Steelheart, Firefight, and Calamity)
  • Warbreaker might be interesting to an 11-year old girl since it has a bit more romance than most of his books
  • My favorites are the Mistborn series (7 books so far starting with Mistborn: The Final Empire) and the Stormlight Archive series (2 books so far starting with The Way of Kings) but they might be a bit advanced for an 11-year old
Patrick Rothfuss: Name of the Wind (but NOT the sequel The Wise ManĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Fear)

Frank Herbert: Dune

Pitticus Lore: I Am Number Four

This is a free sampler with the first several chapters of my two favorite Sanderson book series.

I totally agree with the Brandon Sanderson recs.  I've read them all, and am really enjoying reading them with my children.  We're having such fun discussions and imaginations.  

However, I would skip Warbreaker unless you want to read it first to peruse.  It's not just more romantic, it's also sensual, and a core part of the story centers around ones ability to reproduce.  I'm not sure I want my 15 year old to read it yet, my 12 year old definitely will not be reading it anytime soon.  

• Like 3

Mysteries Benedict Society? 

My friends kids are liking "Little Britches", but I haven't read it. 

We loved those.

Another fun series is Gregor the Overlander. 

There are definitely tons of books out there.  I suppose it gets more complicated when you can't easily know what is in them.

Maybe a bit too young, not sure, but also we liked The Bobbsy Twins.  The language is a bit older (so a tad more challenging than many kid books today). 

• Like 2

I was also going to suggest the Flavia de Luce series.

The Cadfael books by Ellis Peters

The Blue Castle by L.M. Montgomery

Maybe some Kipling?  Kim, or Rewards and Faeries.

My Family and Other Animals by Durell

2001 might work

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn might work, though the second part might be too mature to interest her.

If she likes fantasy, The Various by Steve Augarde was one I enjoyed, though I did not like the subsequent ones as much.

The Chronicals of Faerie is a series I really enjoyed, particularly the last book which is set in Canada.  There is some romance stuff but it isn't a problem if the reader isn't terribly interested, it is pretty low-key.  The first one is called The Hunter's Moon.

• Like 1

Terry Pratchet- Wee free men and the trucker, digger etc series..

Ransom Rigg-- Miss Peregrine's home for peculiar children trilogy. (Thriller/horror genre)

Robert Heinlein--citizen of the galaxy et alĂ¢â‚¬Â¦sci-fi

Frank Herbert-- Dune seriesĂ¢â‚¬Â¦sci-fi

Isaac Asimov-- Foundations series. sci-fi

Beverly Naidoo-- Journey to Jo'burg and its sequel- chain of fire. Apartheid/Racism in south africa.

Rae Carson-- The girl of fire and thorns series. adventure/drama

Sabaa Tahir-- An ember in the ashes series. ditto

Diana Wynne Jones- Chronicles of Chrestomanci series..fantasy

Citizen of the Galaxy was my favorite Heinlein :)

Just make sure your stick to his youth novels to stay within your guidelines.

• Like 2

Oh, the Abhorsen series by Nix is also good.

And Alexander McCall Smith - I think either the #1 Ladies Detective Agency or possibly even the Scotland Street series.  There isn't anything really offensive in them though it's possiblethe latter might not interest her as much, but you never know.

• Like 2

I am having a tough time feeding the reader with my 11 yo DD.  I read a ton as a kid too but was more into introspective stuff (Le Guin) and less into action, so many of my favorites don't appeal to DD.

Further, I have had a very hard time sorting out books that are appropriate for an 11 year old and also fit at least halfway with our social/moral beliefs.  Many times the back cover, or my librarian mother, will not mention stuff that is a dealbreaker for us.

I know some of these beliefs are somewhat controversial and I have absolutely zero desire to debate about them; I am just hoping that someone has some knowledge of books (especially series!) that would fit these basic parameters as well as possible.  

She is reading at I guess a high school level.  There isn't a lot she can't read.  She likes action and danger.

I don't need educational recs, just free reading recs.

Okay, so here is the (controversial) list of things I would like to avoid in books:

normalization of homosexuality, transgender-ism, cross-dressing,  etc.

multiple=partner sexual activity (that is, the main character has one boyfriend she sleeps with, then another, then another, etc.) - this even applies to consecutive monogamous relationships.

promotion of the idea that women and men should have the same roles in society (for example, a society where women are not only in the military but the female main character is the best fighter ever, etc.)

tattoos as a major feature of the book

glorification of drug use (some mild drug use is normal in all societies, and doesn't bother us - but something like that recent Donna Tart book is just overboard)

extreme nihilism - kind of hard to explain, but like the Maze Runner books?  where there are no adults to be trusted at all, and everything is really exceptionally bleak for most of the book (probably you can tell I hated Lord of the Flies, hah)

maybe something else I'm forgetting

note: we are not religious.  I know some of these things are often correlated with religious objections (and in fact I screen movies through the Focus on the Family reviews) but we don't mind things like witchcraft or polytheism or lack of religion or cursing, etc.

Final note:  I really really really have no interest in debating the validity or morality of these criteria.  I put JAWM in the title.  If you have no books to offer that is fine; if no one has any to offer that is fine too :)  But I will not debate them, and if it goes down that path I'll just abandon the forums and come back in a week.  

Never mind.  Mostly covered by everyone else. 

Edited by TranquilMind

Poetry is a great idea, actually.  I had not thought of it but she does like to write poetry - we've never done any of it for homeschool (I have a real aversion to poetry) but she might just love it.

In that case, also consider Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats (Harvest Book) by T. S. Eliot which served as the basis of the musical Cats.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 2

We loved those.

There are definitely tons of books out there. I suppose it gets more complicated when you can't easily know what is in them.

Maybe a bit too young, not sure, but also we liked The Bobbsy Twins. The language is a bit older (so a tad more challenging than many kid books today).

Gregor the Overlander was a hit here too. And fits with the adventure theme.

• Like 3

seconding Gerald Durrell (my family and other animals has two sequels and he wrote umpteen other books) and in re Roald Dahl, his autobiography Boy and the sequel (forgot the title) are great reads for slightly older kids. Beverly Cleary's autobiographies are also great.

A perennial rec from me are the adult books of Betty MacDonald (piggle-wiggle). Am esp fond of Onions in the Stew, but they are all hilarious and smart and enriching.

Bird by Bird by Anne Lamott (prob contains swear words)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I was also going to suggest the Flavia de Luce series.

The Cadfael books by Ellis Peters

The Blue Castle by L.M. Montgomery

Maybe some Kipling?  Kim, or Rewards and Faeries.

My Family and Other Animals by Durell

2001 might work

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn might work, though the second part might be too mature to interest her.

If she likes fantasy, The Various by Steve Augarde was one I enjoyed, though I did not like the subsequent ones as much.

The Chronicals of Faerie is a series I really enjoyed, particularly the last book which is set in Canada.  There is some romance stuff but it isn't a problem if the reader isn't terribly interested, it is pretty low-key.  The first one is called The Hunter's Moon.

Hah, I got A Tree Grows in Brooklyn last month because I remembered loving it as a kid and thinking it would be good for DD.

Hahahahahaha.  Why did my parents let me read that at 10?  How did I not remember all the really pretty adult things in the last 2 parts?  All I remembered was the wonder of the library and the good school.

Kipling is a great idea, that is right up her alley.  I will look up the rest of your recs too, thanks :).

Arthur C Clarke I could never really get into much but she might like him.  Childhood's End was good (but depressing).

• Like 1

Citizen of the Galaxy was my favorite Heinlein :)

Just make sure your stick to his youth novels to stay within your guidelines.

Hah, ain't that the truth.  I remember picking up a later Heinlein (80s maybe) thinking it would be like Moon is a Harsh Mistress or something.

Halfway in they were having orgies and he was explaining how there was no need to worry about birth control because all the kids would be raised in institutions somewhere so the adults could keep on with the orgies.

Some classics are good.  Alice in Wonderland, The Secret Garden, Wind in the Willows, A Little Princess, Anne of Green Gables, Black Beauty, etc.

Maybe Nancy Drew, stuff by Enid Blyton, Roald Dahl (although there are a few that are very dark)....

She has read all of these :)  Alice in Wonderland I don't think she got through, though - she came to me and said, "Mom, do I have to read this?  It's just nonsense and Alice won't stop making bad decisions."  I thought that was a pretty good synopsis of Alice in Wonderland, actually, so I let her quit.

I will look up Enid Blyton, though, haven't heard of her.

• Like 3

Oh, the Abhorsen series by Nix is also good.

And Alexander McCall Smith - I think either the #1 Ladies Detective Agency or possibly even the Scotland Street series.  There isn't anything really offensive in them though it's possiblethe latter might not interest her as much, but you never know.

We read the Abhorsens, they were good.  Maybe I will look up some other Garth Nix -  I think he might be hit and miss, though.

I will look up Alexander McCall Smith.  She loves detective stuff so that might work well.

• Like 1

She has read all of these :)  Alice in Wonderland I don't think she got through, though - she came to me and said, "Mom, do I have to read this?  It's just nonsense and Alice won't stop making bad decisions."  I thought that was a pretty good synopsis of Alice in Wonderland, actually, so I let her quit.

I will look up Enid Blyton, though, haven't heard of her.

I was going to recommend the Naughtiest Girl in the School series (by Enid Blyton).  They were not sold in the US, but missionaries sent my parents the first two books in the series when I was growing up and I read them over and over.  There is now evidently a whole series of 10! I need to know what happens next!

http://smile.amazon.com/Blyton-Naughtiest-Collection-Monitor-Marches/dp/B0047C9FXU/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1464721415&sr=1-1&keywords=Enid+Blyton+Naughtiest+Girl

And she has quite a few other series out there as well.

• Like 1

We loved those.

There are definitely tons of books out there.  I suppose it gets more complicated when you can't easily know what is in them.

Maybe a bit too young, not sure, but also we liked The Bobbsy Twins.  The language is a bit older (so a tad more challenging than many kid books today). 

Forgot about Gregor!  Great series.  

Hah, I got A Tree Grows in Brooklyn last month because I remembered loving it as a kid and thinking it would be good for DD.

Hahahahahaha.  Why did my parents let me read that at 10?  How did I not remember all the really pretty adult things in the last 2 parts?  All I remembered was the wonder of the library and the good school.

I had almost the exact same experience with ATGIB!  I read it as a kid and liked it, along with Betty Smith's two or three other books.  Then I bought the audiobook for my 10 yo daughter and me to listen to on a long road trip, and geez--I had zero recollection of the child molester, to name one.  Oops!

• Like 2