Menu

If you have 2 minutes to take my dd's survey for a school project...

J-rap

I did take the survey, but one thing I did want to note, which may skew answers: I have two younger brothers and one much younger sister.  Some of that stuff I am very likely to discuss with my sister, or at least slightly likely, but not at all with my brothers.  For instance, my sister and I might discuss s*x in very general terms, or we might discuss female issues in more detail, but I'd never discuss either of those things with my brothers.  I'm probably not the only one who is closer to her sister than to her brothers.  And if my sister were only two years younger than I, like my one brother is, rather than nine years younger, we'd probably be even closer and discuss more personal stuff because we'd be at more similar life stages.

• Like 3

Well that made me feel like a terrible sister :p I'm not particularly close to my siblings. There was a lot of unlikely going on there :)

Well if it makes you feel any better, I'm quite close to my siblings but still don't share a lot of personal stuff, I realized!

I did take the survey, but one thing I did want to note, which may skew answers: I have two younger brothers and one much younger sister.  Some of that stuff I am very likely to discuss with my sister, or at least slightly likely, but not at all with my brothers.  For instance, my sister and I might discuss s*x in very general terms, or we might discuss female issues in more detail, but I'd never discuss either of those things with my brothers.  I'm probably not the only one who is closer to her sister than to her brothers.  And if my sister were only two years younger than I, like my one brother is, rather than nine years younger, we'd probably be even closer and discuss more personal stuff because we'd be at more similar life stages.

Hmmm...  That's a good point.  I'll pass that information on to my dd.

I checked with my dd, and she said as long as you would disclose it to one sibling, you can count it.  Thanks for bringing this up!

• Like 1

Well if it makes you feel any better, I'm quite close to my siblings but still don't share a lot of personal stuff, I realized!

Same here.  I never really thought about it, but there are reasons I feel better just keeping a lot of things to myself.  For one thing, if you tell someone then you have no control over who ends up hearing it - or how it morphs before it gets back to you.  :P

I am always hesitant to tell anyone I'm not feeling well, because it gets around the family that I'm on death's doorstep.  :P

I would never discuss sex with a FOO member - never in a million years.  :)

• Like 3

I took it. There was one question that I am sure was affect by my age. It was something along the lines of if I would disclose info about my parents to my siblings. Five years ago I would have answered that in the negative. Now, my parents are elderly, my dad has full blown dementia and my mother can no longer manage their finances. I must disclose information to my siblings so that we can all take the best care of them possible. So, answers are definitely impacted by where I am at this point in my life.

• Like 1

This is hard to answer when you have multiple siblings. I share all sorts of things with my sister who is a nurse that I wouldn't mention to my brothers. Also, I don't share people's personal information with other people, so that knocked out about three questions. I'm a vault for everything from secrets to just 'it's their news to tell' stuff.

• Like 3

Done.  

One option that I needed that was not available:  I have one sibling, so when the questions were related to "other siblings" I had nowhere to go. Just fyi.

Good luck to your kiddo.

I think it would be useful to answer some of the same questions regarding what you would share with a close friend, to contrast it.  

For what it is worth, some of the questions are life-stage dependent.  When I was dating I would talk to my siblings about that stuff, but with a spouse those conversations just aren't as appropriate.

• Like 2

I took it. There was one question that I am sure was affect by my age. It was something along the lines of if I would disclose info about my parents to my siblings. Five years ago I would have answered that in the negative. Now, my parents are elderly, my dad has full blown dementia and my mother can no longer manage their finances. I must disclose information to my siblings so that we can all take the best care of them possible. So, answers are definitely impacted by where I am at this point in my life.

Yes, it definitely is a very general survey and doesn't take specifics into account.  In fact, that's a good point that I'll pass on to my dd.

I have two siblings. My relationship to them is completely different. Taking the survey makes no sense for me.

I'll definitely pass feedback on to my dd.  It's certainly a learning experience.  Hopefully she'll learn how to be more specific and take into account a lot of different situations which can skew the data!  

I think it would be useful to answer some of the same questions regarding what you would share with a close friend, to contrast it.  

For what it is worth, some of the questions are life-stage dependent.  When I was dating I would talk to my siblings about that stuff, but with a spouse those conversations just aren't as appropriate.

This is a great point and I'll be passing this on to my daughter.

• Like 1

Well that was eye opening. I have a brother that I rarely speak to and two sisters that I feel I'm pretty close to. And yet I see that we rarely talk about anything of any real substance. Books, movies, yes. Dreams, finances, future plans...nope. 

Upon reflection, I'm not sure that's a bad thing. The three of us take a trip every year and have a good time. Maybe that's enough - maybe we don't need to complicate our relationship with deep things. Especially since we have very different financial and marital relationships. Perhaps better to just have our yearly trip and keep things light. 

• Like 2

Done. 

That's a hard survey to take when you have lots of siblings. The dynamic is very different with each of them. The questions were so vague and broad it was really hard to answer them.  For example, romances, past and current.  Plenty of people would discuss a current one but not a past one. Some people might be willing to tell as sibling "things are really tight for us right now" but not anything more.

Gender differences would probably affect a lot of people too.  I have all brothers and a step-sister I'm not close to at all.  I'm not inclined to discuss my sex life with anyone other my husband, but I certainly wouldn't discuss anything sexual about myself with them.  One of my SsIL sometimes forgets I'm her husband's little sister, so she'll start some girl talk and I'll put my hands over my ears and say, "LA! LA! LA! LA! LA!" very loudly to remind her.

Edited by Homeschool Mom in AZ
  • Like 1

Done! I too have a very different relationship with my brother than my sister (more likely to talk about emotions with my sister, finances or politics with my brother), but I took the question to mean what it said "How likely are you to share this with A sibling?" so if I would have shared it with either of them, I answered accordingly.

Also feeling REALLY grateful for my relationship with both of them right now... and a little sad that my daughter will likely never have a sister. :(

• Like 1